Reconsider the transfer penalty

in WvW

Posted by: TheHeretic.3529

TheHeretic.3529

Currently, participation of an entire matchup (reset to reset) is required before participation is allowed. You don’t even have to participate, you just have to be on that server.

If you transfer at the start of a new matchup, it’s going to be the rest of that week and the ‘entire’ matchup the week after that before you can earn anything again. Two weeks of no rewards for wanting to stay with your guild.

Please consider that a 48 or 72 hour penalty is more than enough to have to deal with when working towards legendary armor. Two full weeks is harsh and hurts morale. Imagine cutting off PvP players from Matchmaking rewards or PvE players from Raid loot for two weeks for running with a different guild. That’s what this equates to.

Maybe I’m a thorn in your perfection
A heretic’s voice in your head
A stargazer, releaser

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

No. It’s a counter to bandwaggoning which is endemic in wvw and deteriorates the quality of gameplay.

Pick a server and stick wth it.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

I moved servers so that I could play with my friends and boyfriend. I never once felt it was a lose of morale. I understand that the punishment is put there to help detour bandwaggoning and help our servers have a teeeennnyyy tiny bit of balance. Heretic is your guilds server full that you cant transfer to it? My suggestion is your best bet is to gold farm and keep enough gold on you. That away the moment their server opens you can join them and be with your guild. If you do that then you will only have to deal with loosing out on pips just one more time. You will all so be with your guild. But please understand that there is a reason as to why anet implemented the system.

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

in WvW

TheHeretic.3529

No. It’s a counter to bandwaggoning which is endemic in wvw and deteriorates the quality of gameplay.

I moved servers so that I could play with my friends and boyfriend. I never once felt it was a lose of morale. I understand that the punishment is put there to help detour bandwaggoning and help our servers have a teeeennnyyy tiny bit of balance. Heretic is your guilds server full that you cant transfer to it? My suggestion is your best bet is to gold farm and keep enough gold on you. That away the moment their server opens you can join them and be with your guild. If you do that then you will only have to deal with loosing out on pips just one more time. You will all so be with your guild. But please understand that there is a reason as to why anet implemented the system.

My guild is split between a locked host server and a single link. While we were making our decision if we would call the host our permanent home, that’s when it locked (months back) and has had us separated and it’s out of our control. We’ve picked up even more members since then, on both the link and the host. We plan to move to the host if it ever unlocks again and consolidate our group. Gold/gems aren’t an issue.

You’re both right, it’s there to deter ‘bandwagoning,’ but it doesn’t stop it, and it hurts the players who want to stay with their own guild. If there were an exception to the penalty, such as transferring between the host/link or being given the option to move to the new link on the host, it would solve this, even if it still required the gems.

A stargazer, releaser

in WvW

Jayne.9251

My guild is split between a locked host server and a single link. While we were making our decision if we would call the host our permanent home, that’s when it locked (months back) and has had us separated and it’s out of our control. We’ve picked up even more members since then, on both the link and the host. We plan to move to the host if it ever unlocks again and consolidate our group. Gold/gems aren’t an issue.

You’re both right, it’s there to deter ‘bandwagoning,’ but it doesn’t stop it, and it hurts the players who want to stay with their own guild. If there were an exception to the penalty, such as transferring between the host/link or being given the option to move to the new link on the host, it would solve this, even if it still required the gems.

It hurts the entire mode of gameplay to cram people onto already full servers.

Coordinate with your guild and travel downward. Make a name for yourselves and push your server up. Stop thinking that T1 means the best tier. Have your ENTIRE guild join up on the linked server. Problem solved, especially if you say gems are not an issue.

It’s ridiculous that you expect Anet to open up a full server, and if you plan on finding a “home” as you say, then one week is nothing compared to months of gaming fun on a set server.

The definition of anti-bandwagonning is trying to find ways to deter players from jumping from server to server. One week is frankly too little. It should be a month.

And why is bandwagonning a bad thing? Because it stacks servers, creates runaway matches, and is no fun for the entire health of the game.

Spread out.

(edited by Jayne.9251)

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Maybe you should transfer to a medium population server then? If your guild has 100+ players you need to make sure you’re transferring to a server that has room for the people. The only person to blame is whomever made the decision to move to a very high pop non locked server, it wasn’t a smart choice and was probably the age old move up for fights, get rekt by most people and disband that we see happen all the time.

I’m guessing the reluctance to mention which server is because it’s a heavily populated or stacked server anyway.

Also you should always move on a Thursday so you minimise the penalty.

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Choose your server wisely. It is to discourage bandwagoning, in some form or another.

in WvW

TheHeretic.3529

It hurts the entire mode of gameplay to cram people onto already full servers.

Coordinate with your guild and travel downward. Make a name for yourselves and push your server up. Stop thinking that T1 means the best tier. Have your ENTIRE guild join up on the linked server. Problem solved, especially if you say gems are not an issue.

It’s ridiculous that you expect Anet to open up a full server, and if you plan on finding a “home” as you say, then one week is nothing compared to months of gaming fun on a set server.

The definition of anti-bandwagonning is trying to find ways to deter players from jumping from server to server. One week is frankly too little. It should be a month.

And why is bandwagonning a bad thing? Because it stacks servers, creates runaway matches, and is no fun for the entire health of the game.

Spread out.

• I’m aware it hurts the mode to cram people into full servers. Like I said, some were on the host and some were on the link before the host locked. We aren’t changing the balance.
  • Our server doesn’t need to be pushed up, we are happy where it is
  • No one said anything about thinking T1 is the best. We’re not in T1 either way.
  • Everyone joining the link would be the exact opposite of what our guild decided on, and could rotate us into host servers that literally despise us and would try to troll us to no end. We wouldn’t even be able to use the public TS, so we’d be on a private Discord server, which means we couldn’t communicate effectively with militia.
  • I never said I expect ArenaNet to open a full server for us. I said I wanted the penalty reconsidered.

I’m guessing the reluctance to mention which server is because it’s a heavily populated or stacked server anyway.

Also you should always move on a Thursday so you minimise the penalty.

I’m not mentioning the server because it’s not relevant and would just spark bias.
We did discuss moving at the end of the matchup, but the urgency to move to the link before it locked like the host was too important. It would have truly split the guild across matchups, and we’d likely have to lose members because of that.

A stargazer, releaser

(edited by TheHeretic.3529)

in WvW

Jayne.9251

• Everyone joining the link would be the exact opposite of what our guild decided on, and could rotate us into host servers that literally despise us and would try to troll us to no end. We wouldn’t even be able to use the public TS, so we’d be on a private Discord server, which means we couldn’t communicate effectively with militia.

Your guild’s reputation isn’t set in stone. WvWers for all their flaws, tend to be a forgiving crew if you pitch in and work.

And as you’re not going to get everyone on the host server, you have more flexibility getting onto the linked one.

And if that won’t work, then collectively decide on another server that will actually accommodate your numbers. Again, you said gems aren’t an issue.

in WvW

Posted by: Mysteriax.6049

Mysteriax.6049

The experience of being in a WvW guild on a non-host server is not as bad as you might think. Some non-Host servers have their own distinct community and identity (especially those currently listed as “Very High”). I suggest you and your guild seek to join one of those communities rather than pursue joining a “Full” Host Server.

Bad Axxe
Blissful Epidemic [Blis]
Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Blodeuyn.2751

Blodeuyn.2751

The penalty is fine, if too lenient, as it is. My link server has gotten a lot of transfers and there is definitely no loss of moral and no complaining about the penalty. This is just another case of “gimme now”, but really in the grand scheme of the game, the extra wait is nothing.

Blodeuyn Tylwyth
Quaggan OP [QOP], League of Extraordinary Siegers [LEXS]
Ehmry Bay

(edited by Blodeuyn.2751)

in WvW

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

Waiting two weeks to play with your guild the rest of the year (years) isn’t a bad deal. The real issue is not being able to follow your guild cause their server is full.

in WvW

Posted by: OhHellzNo.1268

OhHellzNo.1268

• I’m aware it hurts the mode to cram people into full servers. Like I said, some were on the host and some were on the link before the host locked. We aren’t changing the balance.

You transferring does change the balance though. The whole reason ANET changes the server links is to re-balance out the population. You switching from one link server to another to get back with your old host server changes the population balance on two server matchups, the server matchup you were re-linked to and the server matchup you want to transfer back to.

(edited by OhHellzNo.1268)

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Stop bandwagoning every 2 weeks would solve all your problems.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Tyaen.5148

Tyaen.5148

Pick a server and stick wth it.

Except of course server linking ends up pairing us with servers we don’t want to fight with. I left Dragonbrand for a reason, now you’re telling me I have to fight with them for 2 months? Nope.

Tyyaen – Engineer (80) [SS]
http://camelotunchained.com/v3/

in WvW

Posted by: Klipso.8653

Klipso.8653

they should just have the 1 week pip probation if the player is transferring to a higher tier, if they’re moving to a lower tier then they shouldn’t get it.

Cause right now its deterring all transfers, not just server stacking.

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

they should just have the 1 week pip probation if the player is transferring to a higher tier, if they’re moving to a lower tier then they shouldn’t get it.

Cause right now its deterring all transfers, not just server stacking.

This person has the right idea. =)

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]