Reduce the impact of night capping?

in WvW

Posted by: Tyeme.6589

Tyeme.6589

I just voted on the WvW poll and saw the reduce impact of night capping. So I guess we’re going to marginalize the contributions of WvW players who don’t play during “primetime”. They don’t play within the prescribed timeframe, they are not worth as much.

So, server A has 100% of it’s population playing during the prescribed hours, and server B (who has the exact same total population) has 50% of it’s population play during prescribed hours, and 50% at non-prescribed hours. Server A dominates during “primetime”, but server B comes back each night. Except, the rules are going to change so the night peoples efforts don’t count as much and Sever A gets to win every time because they all play during the prescribed hours?

And this is suppose to improve WvW? Sorry, I just don’t see it. If people don’t like losing their towers and keeps when they are not playing…they can stay up all night and fight it. Punishing people because their normal game time isn’t “primetime” would be poor game management. I think you’ll lose a lot of night people as players.

in WvW

Posted by: TheBandit.7031

TheBandit.7031

I get that this was an issue with the low population servers, but with the merge what is the problem?

Just because you play at a time with less players on means that your success is worth less? Makes no sense to me. I completely agree with you.

in WvW

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

What’s with this 100% vs 50/50% false analogy? Server B might get stomped during primetime but will likely end up getting more total points because their ppt during off hours will tick high for much longer than server A’s will during primetime’s 2-3 hours.

You want Anet to treat night players fairly? Then stop stacking servers. Spread out so there’s a fair dispersal during said hours and fights based on skill, not PvDoor karma trains.

You guys created the problem, not Anet, nor the general player base…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

They might not do something as simple as lowering points in various time zones. There are more elegant ways to approach the problem and they’ve had years to think about it…I think they’ll do better.

in WvW

Posted by: Steelo.4597

Steelo.4597

“If people don’t like losing their towers and keeps when they are not playing…they can stay up all night and fight it. "

sure mate. the problem is caused by 695 ppt going out NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE ONLINE. so to begin with your nightcappers are worth 500% of a regular primetime player.. but that doesnt disturb you one bit when you QQ about fairness? When you say “worth less” it is actually “not worth as much more as before”.

i fear we will look back to this day and remember the good old wvw as it is now – Jan 2015

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

They might not do something as simple as lowering points in various time zones. There are more elegant ways to approach the problem and they’ve had years to think about it…I think they’ll do better.

The system was detailed in the leaked notes and it was exactly that.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Let’s just see if A) the scoring wins on votes and B ) how they are going to "fix"it. Then it is time to go all berserk about it? We don’t know how they going to do that so ehm yea…

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Zeghart.9841

Zeghart.9841

Seems to me that you’re pulling numbers out of nowhere. Chances are the servers that have more people playing during the night are those that have more players in general. It’s very unlikely that a bigger server would have less people playing during the night than a smaller server.

This change in almost all cases would simply help less populated servers with close to no way of defending during the night, making them give away less points for free.

And when you mention night-time players being less valued than day-time players, the opposite is happening at the moment. A night-time player is worth way more than a day-time player, since they can accomplish more with way less resistance and numbers.

It has to start somewhere. It has to start sometime.
What better place than here? What better time than now?

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

And when you mention night-time players being less valued than day-time players, the opposite is happening at the moment. A night-time player is worth way more than a day-time player, since they can accomplish more with way less resistance and numbers.

Exactly, the value of a player (for it’s WvW-Score) is simply
|No of Objectives| / |No of Player|

And thats is around 1 in Prime-time and around 10-20 in Off-time (EU-Night in EU, no idea for NA)

So yes, currently (since nearly 4 years) an off-time player is 10-20 times as valuable for the outcome of a match as a prime-time player. And this is a really bad discrimination and demotivation (to play for points) for prime-time player.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Izay.8725

Izay.8725

No one wants to stay up all night to remain competitive with other server who have a strong presence during off hours, maybe if the population was split 50/50 or close then I can see why it would be unfair but let’s be honest – most of the players play during the day not during the night. During the course of the day you’d have over 500 players participating in WvW and all of the work can be undone by a group of 25-50 players simply because they play while the majority of the server is sleeping now that isn’t fair.

in WvW

Posted by: vana.5467

vana.5467

Maybe, just maybe, and bear with me here because I know it’s a crazy thought, instead of discouraging people from playing the game they could simply make an effort to ensure that the “night cappers” are placed in the same matchup (yes, I’m aware this wouldn’t be possible with the linking system). If they could collapse all OCX/SEA time to a single matchup, not only would it be more fun for the off hour players, there’d be nothing for the day cappers to complain about.

in WvW

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

I think you guys should not get stuck on the term “nightcapping”. This basically means timeframe when one server has very little or no enemies to fight and they take over all the maps without fighting anyone. It could happen same way in the morning. Or during the day. It just happens that most players go to sleep at night so the term has been used to describe situation.

The proposed changes have been about increasing the points you earn while you are fighting enemies. Honestly, when you capture heavily defended objective against active enemy group, you should earn more points because it simply takes longer and it also requires more effort. Same way, when there are no enemies on the map, your passive tick should be reduced because there is nobody to challenge any of the objectives.

The proposed change is basically about making sure passive PvE portion of points is reduced and PvP portion (more enemies = more points) is increased. It is not even tied to the specific timeframe, but mostly to the fact that WvW without enemies to fight is not fun.

The problem with huge off-hours population has been quite obvious in several EU matches where strong nightcrews push server rating up into higher tier where their prime time population is unable to compete against much more numerous enemy forces. The result is that match is ruined for 3 servers, the one with strong off-hour crew (as they get overrun during prime time) and also both their enemies who have nobody to fight.

in WvW

Posted by: I Am Dansker.7105

I Am Dansker.7105

The premise that, at the moment, people who play during the night, matter just as much as the people who play during the day, is outright wrong.

If you say that you have 150 people online during primetime, then each individual player is responsible for 1/150 of the score (roughly ofc, some people matter more than others)

While the 20 people who play during night matter 1/20 of the score often without any resistance, meaning they can get a fairly high PPT without much hard work. The problem with that is also to fold.

A high ppt is very unlikely during the day, meaning it is fairly unlikely for a server to win if they lose during the night

This means that winning the night is, for the moment being, more important than winning the day, as you are able to achieve much higher PPT than during the day.

I agree nightcapping should matter, but it should be relative to what is possible during day, which is not the case.

Far Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Kindeller.3072

Kindeller.3072

I have a problem with this purely because for me im not “Night Capping”. I moved from Ireland to Australia and now my prime time is changed. I have just regained the interest in this game – unfortunately I want the scoring fixed but this night capping approach is not the way to go – for me its down to the fundamentals of the scoring system that allows the population to massively affect the score. Think outside the box for a few solutions, not changing how others who have different play times can contribute.

in WvW

Posted by: Galaxy.2470

Galaxy.2470

That’s it. The Problem is the defination of “nighttime”. When in NA is night, in other countries it’s evening and Primetime. With this in mind, you punish the ones who are playing on a specific Server and rewarding the others.

It’s much more complicate to make a fair solution in this case.

in WvW

Posted by: gitflap.9031

gitflap.9031

Servers deliberately stacking offpeak hours is the problem, or the solvable one anyway. But it relies on servers not doing that. For players who work nights/shifts, or live outside of NA/EU, it would be unfair to punish them for playing the game mode.

in WvW

Posted by: hmsgoddess.3869

hmsgoddess.3869

WvW = War. War is a 24 hour thing. It doesn’t stop just because you went to bed. I am so tired of hearing about nightcapping and scoring. work on ways to overcome those challenges. Your playtime isn’t more valuable than others.

~ Emma Vine Sixty Nine Shades Of [NUDE] – Crystal Desert

in WvW

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

WvW = War. War is a 24 hour thing. It doesn’t stop just because you went to bed. I am so tired of hearing about nightcapping and scoring. work on ways to overcome those challenges. Your playtime isn’t more valuable than others.

^- This

in WvW

Posted by: Jiminy.8340

Jiminy.8340

The NA guilds (and EU to lesser extent) could maybe approach OCX/SEA guilds and get some people to plug the gaps during their offpeak. Crazy idea – actually seeking allies to help in a war.

Do we have to remind Anet about the horrendous Karka Queen event route where they had a ‘one off’ event that half the world wasn’t able to attend due to timing – all after weeks of slow build up.

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

So, server A has 100% of it’s population playing during the prescribed hours, and server B (who has the exact same total population) has 50% of it’s population play during prescribed hours, and 50% at non-prescribed hours. Server A dominates during “primetime”, but server B comes back each night. Except, the rules are going to change so the night peoples efforts don’t count as much and Sever A gets to win every time because they all play during the prescribed hours?

And this is suppose to improve WvW? Sorry, I just don’t see it. If people don’t like losing their towers and keeps when they are not playing…they can stay up all night and fight it. Punishing people because their normal game time isn’t “primetime” would be poor game management. I think you’ll lose a lot of night people as players.

Okay, so here’s the thing.

If Server A only has an NA crew, under the current implementation, these players are marginalized to server B’s because A’s players’ contributions actually mean less than B’s; all B has to do is do slightly better than break even overall when their combined no-resistance OCX crew takes over, which lets NA slouch and act as a barrier.

If a server has a steamroll OCX and a horrible primetime, they deserve to be in a lower tier because the matches are either more ktrain and/or less competitive where most new players are going to go. This gives a bad spin on WvW into the future and discourages people from joining later on, while encouraging server stacking.

This is a game in which enjoyment should come from playing. If one wants to win, they should relish in playing better, not when their opponent isn’t, which in most cases is often viewed as cheating in most games.

I’d genuinely like to see OCX have its own servers as the best approach, and then this way NOBODY gets to complain about being marginalized.

As far as people staying up later, sorry, but people have work. OCX is 14-17 hours ahead of NA. Assuming OCX prime starts around 7pm OCX, it’s roughly 2-5 AM for NA, meaning that to make a difference, you’re talking people needing to play between the hours of 2 to 5 or 5 to 8 AM. People have commitments like work, which you can’t just “stay up late for” in this case, because for some, this would lead to massive sleep loss/productivity drops which is both unhealthy and bad for the company they work for and/or being constantly late/missing hours, which can snowball to much greater things for obvious reasons.

Scoring needs an adjustment mechanically, via it combining pools of players with similar play times each week, or through reducing the effectiveness of off-hours capping. It’s not like they’re removing OCX’s performance here, either. Even if OCX’s point margins are lowered, over the week, it’s still a substantial sum of points. I’d also mention that all the captures, upgrades, and siege which OCX places can be maintained and can affect the NA prime matchup. A well-defended, fortified keep and maybe even some enemy objectives being controlled upon the leadup to EU and early NA can get a server get ready to snowball hard during prime hours.

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I just voted on the WvW poll and saw the reduce impact of night capping. So I guess we’re going to marginalize the contributions of WvW players who don’t play during “primetime”. They don’t play within the prescribed timeframe, they are not worth as much.

I guess you never had a matchup vs sometihng like baruch bay ? Where you don’t really see anyone during day and prime but only for them to appear when everyone goes to sleep ? Thats just 87.5% bullkitten !

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I think the MMO community would agree that Eve Online is the most hardcore of hardcore games. Even they have vulnerability windows on their structures.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

^- This

If you want war volunteer for an army, but stay away from my game.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Posted by: Pumpkin.5169

Pumpkin.5169

The system was detailed in the leaked notes and it was exactly that.

This. The leaked system is great. People who complain that one timezone will be less valuable than the other should go and read the leaked system. Simplifying, is somewhat like this: your PPT is only as valuable as there enough enemy activity to compete against for it. If people are just fighting doors at off prime hours, the PPT scores for less, what is totally fine and fair because no matter what timezone youre playing, fighting enemies should be more valuable than fighting empty doors. But if they’re fighting about the same amount of enemies, the PPT scores for pretty much the same or even more. The PPT value changes with the activity on the map. It’s a pretty smart take on the problem.

Pumpkin – Mag

in WvW

Posted by: MTF.1284

MTF.1284

Good god fellow forum warriors please stop referring to real war when talking about WvW in an online game.

Someone is suggesting getting allies from other regions to nightcap for them, as much as especially NA likes to buy guilds from EU to win the match-ups for them, I’m sorry not everyone wants to do that. And to be fair in my opinion it is rather sad trend.

Reducing the effectiveness doesn’t mean nightcapping or some wicked aussie playing in EU server would be meaningless. Even if the PPT during nights would be halved, you’re still worth way more than a prime time player.

And yes, I like to play God at times and decide the entire match-ups by myself night capping, but I do realize it shouldn’t be that way.

in WvW

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

No. Easy way to balance this would be to separate score gain from points. Server with highest points per tick gets 100 score, second highest 70 score and lowest 50 score, or something like that. That way every timezone is equally valuable. What happens currently during nightcapping is that some servers have squads that capture entire borderlands unopposed and get massive score lead (+400 points per tick compared to opponent’s <100). This is so big advantage that no amount of daily fighting can overcome it.

in WvW

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

If the system will target all off timezones it will be ok, and a good measure to diminish the huge gaps servers gain when facing nobody. But if it only targets the night time based on a specific timezone then sorry, but welcome to the death of WvW.

I guess you never had a matchup vs sometihng like baruch bay ? Where you don’t really see anyone during day and prime but only for them to appear when everyone goes to sleep ? Thats just 87.5% bullkitten !

Glad you brought Baruch. If we play at night is only because our culture is different to other europeans. We have lunch at 2pm (there’s a PPT drop), dinner at 9pm (another drop) and our primetime starts at 10pm until 1-2am.
Not because we wait until everybody is asleep to play.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

50% voted for discrimination, that’s how i see it. now we all know what the 50% of wvwer r like

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

50% voted for discrimination, that’s how i see it. now we all know what the 50% of wvwer r like

True, so many voted for night players continuing to be worth 10 times as much as the rest. That is indeed discrimination.

in WvW

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

Night capping was one of the main things which killed Shadowbane (wvw style pvp). I’m surprised more than 10 years later we’re suffering from the same design flaws.

in WvW

SkyShroud.2865

True, so many voted for night players continuing to be worth 10 times as much as the rest. That is indeed discrimination.

justifying discrimination with half truth, interesting

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Magni.2835

Magni.2835

If they do something like this, I’d hope they consider that the duration “off-hours” are different for NA (+OCX +SEA) and EU servers. EU servers have a long period where few players naturally play. NA servers have two smaller gaps where fewer players naturally play; one between pacific NA and OCX, and the other being EU.

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

The problem is that you basically end up getting somewhere around 10-20x the amount of points in the current scenario on per-time and per-effort spent basis. It is just that bad.

I play both prime and off-time due to irregular work schedule. I am on prime time PST on weekends and early morning PST on weekdays, so I regularly see and experience both.

For you to make a claim of being “undermined” is rediculous. Making a 20-30 min circle around the map, spamming 1 key (auto attack) on lords and some guards, should NEVER surpass in reward actually having to do some active play as it currently does.

Not only that, but then on top of that the empty and unattended objectives continue to provide further and even more disproportionate rewards indefinetly until recapped the next day.

May whatever god you believe in forbid you might have to actually use more then 1 button, actually seek out the few players of opposing faction and gasp ! fight them … You may even have to have to change a couple items in your gear to adjust your gear. O how horrible that will be ….

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

Maybe we need to eliminate the term “nightcapping” and rename it “uncontested capping” – this happens when only one side is present on the map and gains tick after tick after tick on the same tower because nobody is there to re-flip it.

Of course the easiest way to get rid of this is to eliminate the time based tick entirely and go to a system that awards points for flipping and upgrading (yes there is still a time based “tick” for upgrades but this can be minimized.)

Along with this, make kill points more prominent in the score to encourage battles and strategy.

in WvW

Tyeme.6589

I keep seeing people say that night capping or uncontested capping is somehow unfair or worth more points. It’s not. This is just a false argument.

The big zergs during primetime often run into undefended towers and keeps. They throw down 3-5 siege and are inside killing the lord inside 30 seconds…start to finish. Also, a lot of the big zergs spend time looking for other zergs for fights and seem to not care about the ppt, they just want fights.

At night, the groups are small and often capping upgraded keeps and towers. They build one, maybe two siege, often having to run back to camps to resupply to finish building. They bang away at the walls for 3-10 minutes, giving a lot of time for defenders to get into position. Taking a keep is a 10-30 minute ordeal which is often thwarted by 1 or 2 defenders.

Being on a middle population server, and someone who plays at different times (depending on schedule), I’ve seen the completely different styles between big zerg “primetime” and night play.

Some servers are organized and responsive during “primetime”, but their night crew all stick in EBG, don’t communicate and have no leadership. So, it seems to me these servers want Anet to skew the scoring to cover their deficiencies. They want the scoring to be worth more when they are more likely to dominate, and worth less when they are at their weakest. They scream long and loud to try to make this happen hoping the squeaky wheel gets the grease. It’s basically a “my game time should be worth more than their game time”.

If you don’t like the other servers flipping objectives at night, get organized at night, get some leadership at night, and get better coverage at night. Stop screaming at Anet that is unfair that when your not playing other people are and they should be punished for it.

in WvW

Posted by: gloflop.3510

gloflop.3510

I am a little bit puzzled. We havent heard any concrete plans yet. Nightcapping (or better said off-time capping) is a problem. Sure, I agree on this point. If an objecte is heavily defended, taking it should count more. I understand the argument as well. It all sounds nice. I am just trying to figure out how a fair system should look like. Shall we close WvW between 0-8 am? That doesnt sound like a solution.

@anet: I have the experience from PvP season 2. Please think twice about the consequences, the implications and the potential possibilities to manipulate. If you want, introduce the plan in the forum first.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Stop screaming at Anet that is unfair that when your not playing other people are and they should be punished for it.

Yeah they should be punished for it!

Wait wat, lol.

And for kittens sake, offtime players would not be kittening punished. Since when is having higher PPT than all the other servers punishing people for playing? Explain to me that. Please. Because I dont understand it.

If your server score 695 because you’ve been PvDing and killing lords defended by absolutely no one for 4 hours tonight and the coming week you do the same thing – for the exact same XP, loot and reward track progress – except your server “only” get 400 PPT max because the curve is logarithmic instead of linear for all servers EU and US around the clock.

How are you punished?

Tell me.

Please.

in WvW

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

By your math, 75% of total players are active during prescribed hours and 25% are active during off hours. Shouldn’t any point system benefit the 75% majority?

Osu

in WvW

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

Off hours should not have as much impact as they currently have. I am an off hours player but I can see that the influence of off hours is disproportionate. Voted for fixing night capping. Less ppt play in off hours is what we need anyway.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeowia.7214

Aeowia.7214

One rule for all timezones – and then it’s fair.

Balancing should be done with spreading players around equally on all servers, encouraging with rewards to do so or other means, and limiting numbers on map equally for all sides. But anything is done, has to be the same rule applied to everyone.

Currently there are huge imbalances, timezone coverage gaps, between different servers. Server linking did nothing to address these and even made it worse.

It’s not something that the players should solve, they will always bandwagon to the winning server, because most players want to “win”, no matter how pointless it is. They need reasons to do it – and that has to come from ArenaNet, from the game design. Most will give up and rather abandon the game, than spread equally on all servers – no matter which timezone we are speaking of. Some have reasons like playing with friends, even if that means PvDooring, but the rest is just joining them, because they have bigger zerg, until nobody is left on the other side(s)

Anet needs a plan to spread players equally and mantain that balance. Encourage that with rewards and more, while preventing the opposite happening. This has to be addressed in game design, won’t just happen magically. No matter of timezone, applies to all of them, bandwagon players are the majority in every timezone, and those looking for challenging conditions barely exist.

Most players have to be “forced” into a balanced competition, or they will just all transfer into a single server for a “win”, killing the game mode for themselves and everyone.

[FV] Fearless Vanguard, The Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Murphys Law.8561

Murphys Law.8561

I think you guys should not get stuck on the term “nightcapping”. This basically means timeframe when one server has very little or no enemies to fight and they take over all the maps without fighting anyone. It could happen same way in the morning. Or during the day. It just happens that most players go to sleep at night so the term has been used to describe situation.

The proposed changes have been about increasing the points you earn while you are fighting enemies. Honestly, when you capture heavily defended objective against active enemy group, you should earn more points because it simply takes longer and it also requires more effort. Same way, when there are no enemies on the map, your passive tick should be reduced because there is nobody to challenge any of the objectives.

The proposed change is basically about making sure passive PvE portion of points is reduced and PvP portion (more enemies = more points) is increased. It is not even tied to the specific timeframe, but mostly to the fact that WvW without enemies to fight is not fun.

The problem with huge off-hours population has been quite obvious in several EU matches where strong nightcrews push server rating up into higher tier where their prime time population is unable to compete against much more numerous enemy forces. The result is that match is ruined for 3 servers, the one with strong off-hour crew (as they get overrun during prime time) and also both their enemies who have nobody to fight.

^ this imo is the only post with intelligence coming from the other side. They bring up a good point/idea about the point system being changed Vea kills and fights not time.

If this were the case then it would make alot more sence. That’s why I really hope we get some clarification from a-net for this. Because everyone crying about ppt is pethedic. Wvw is a sport, WHAT SPORT DOESN’T STACK PLAYERS? If they do change it to where “night time” earns less points that’s not about ppt that is basicly saying anyone who plays at night is worthless. Who wants to play a game where what they do is meaningless?

Take this a an example:

I live in Alaska. All I do is wvw and I normally play during the hours of 9pm-12am my time. If you live on the east coast, that is a 4 hr difference, 1-4am your time… so you are telling me just because you are sleeping I should be earning less for my server? My efforts are worth less then yours?

Yes? Then what about when I am at work and you are at home taking my keeps but I can’t do kitten about it because I’m still working? Are you going to put a cap on the points you can earn when people are at work and others are not?

This isn’t about ppt stop kittening about losing points at night. This is about fairness. People play a game while you sleep isn’t unfair so kitten off.

in WvW

SkyShroud.2865

In some korean pvp mmorpg I have played. They “solve” the off hours issue by making special objectives not recap-able for X hours, regardless the of the timing. These special objectives are very rewarding and the whole fractions gameplay are revolved around defending and attacking for these special objectives. Fractions can only hold X amount of these special objectives at any time.

These special objectives provide a wide range of buffs for the entire fraction, in additional to that, participants who capture these objectives are rewarded high value loots. Thus, servers players regardless of PvE-er, PvPer, WvWer will naturally want to help defend and attack. Naturally, these buffs are not your lame 5% boost but a 10-15% boost for each objective and it accumulate, possible to gain 50%-100% drop rate.

Naturally, they still not able to truly resolve the so-called off hours unbalance issue because of the greedy natural of human, players like to stack on server.

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Lysander Freeman.4186

Lysander Freeman.4186

I read that statement on the poll and I was totally confused by it even being considered.

This is a game mode that’s active 24/7, not four hours each day.

The fuzzy math of some people in this thread doesn’t make sense. Making someone’s time spent playing less valuable than someone else’s due to their life schedule is has no place in a game running 24/7. You either get the points or you don’t.

p.s. I was about to mention making special objectives only obtainable by large groups or something similar, which means that off hours could still do it but unlikely. Something that, or like what SkyShroud described.

(edited by Lysander Freeman.4186)

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

I read that statement on the poll and I was totally confused by it even being considered.

The fuzzy math of some people in this thread doesn’t make sense. Making someone’s time spent playing less valuable than someone else’s due to their life schedule is has no place in a game running 24/7. You either get the points or you don’t.

p.s. I was about to mention making special objectives only obtainable by large groups or something similar, which means that off hours could still do it but unlikely. Something that, or like what SkyShroud described.

Night players are worth far more than day players. The server linking helped but it’s still the case. Far, far more.

As far as PPT, a good night crew will make day fighting almost useless.

in WvW

Posted by: Weli.4568

Weli.4568

So the OP’s argument seems to be that “Prime Time” which is about 3-4 hours long period where most of the players seem to be online, usually facing resistance. On any given server and in WvW. And “Night Time” which is about 6-9 hours long period where the minority of players are in WvW thus facing less resistance. Then we could add the day “off time” where there may or may not be action but not guaranteed, lasting from end of “night time” till the start of “prime time” Equal the same amount of points in the first place.
Now clearly anyone should be able to see that “night time” lasts longer with the added effect of “off time” continuing the momentum gained. Meaning there is more points to be had during night and off time.

Now you can call me crazy but I don’t think matchups should be decided when the majority of players aren’t playing. I’m not saying to remove “night capping” all together but just reduce the effect it has on the points and outcome of MU’s.

Scatter the Weak [WK], Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]
Desolation

in WvW

Posted by: Lysander Freeman.4186

Lysander Freeman.4186

Night players are worth far more than day players. The server linking helped but it’s still the case. Far, far more.

An hour spent by a night player is the same length of game time as a day player. Just because one may face more resistance than the other isn’t the player’s fault and they should not be penalized for it.

in WvW

Reh.5986

An hour spent by a night player is the same length of game time as a day player. Just because one may face more resistance than the other isn’t the player’s fault and they should not be penalized for it.

Fighting for 2 hours to cap SM should get you more than strolling through the gates with a couple golems and not enough defenders to be a threat.

Winning a skirmish over a camp and then fending off roamers and havoc groups should be worth more than capping every camp on the map in 10 minutes and then letting them sit.

Right now players that play against other players are the ones getting penalized. Badly. If you’re playing late at night and cap something despite resistance you should be rewarded.

in WvW

Tyeme.6589

So the OP’s argument seems to be that “Prime Time” which is about 3-4 hours long period where most of the players seem to be online, usually facing resistance. On any given server and in WvW. And “Night Time” which is about 6-9 hours long period where the minority of players are in WvW thus facing less resistance. Then we could add the day “off time” where there may or may not be action but not guaranteed, lasting from end of “night time” till the start of “prime time” Equal the same amount of points in the first place.
Now clearly anyone should be able to see that “night time” lasts longer with the added effect of “off time” continuing the momentum gained. Meaning there is more points to be had during night and off time.

Now you can call me crazy but I don’t think matchups should be decided when the majority of players aren’t playing. I’m not saying to remove “night capping” all together but just reduce the effect it has on the points and outcome of MU’s.

Except, don’t player kills count toward ppt? So, players at primetime, who are getting more kills + objectives are already counting more that the “night cappers” who get few kills.

Also, “night cappers” tend to hit all the maps. They bounce around, defending when they can, capping, recapping, some open field…very comprehensive. “Primetime” players fill ebg to the que and beyond while pretty much ignoring the bl’s. Linking the servers has caused a bit more action in the bl’s, but only because of big long ques for EBG.

If “primetime” players want their efforts to have more impact on the ppt, they would spread out across the all maps, hitting and pressuring in the bl’s as much as EBG. Instead, they super blob in EBG and roll over objectives in a swarm. Sometimes they run into an enemy swarm. If they are the bigger swarm, they pat themselves on the back as the roll over the smaller swarm. If they are the smaller swarm, they hole up in the nearest objective and defend until the bigger swarm moves on or breaks in. It’s all very predictable.

I also think there are a few terms for when the majority make special rules to marginalize a minority.

in WvW

Reh.5986

I wish PPK made that much difference. Score from objectives and all those dolys doin work is OP.

Not about marginalizing a minority at all. The majority is what is being marginalized atm. We just need to even that out somehow…hopefully intelligently.

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

If they implement something like this I agree that they will lose night time players along with anyone who is OCX.

(Imagine the uproar if we made OCX “primetime”)

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.