Redvale Refuge Invulnerability Area

in WvW

Posted by: Faux Sheaux.6179

Faux Sheaux.6179

Don’t worry, this isn’t a complaint against any particular individual, guild, or server. I just want to bring to attention a certain spot on the map where a player can stand and not get killed. Below is a picture with the spot circled and location on the map (in case Redvale Refuge wasn’t explanatory enough :P). While some players will just say “then don’t attack them”, I still think this was unintended. Each other starting area has a raised section (even the north) where players may not be hit, however this is the only spot that allows you to stand on the same ground as enemy players while still invulnerable (except directly outside of gates).

I guess the main reason I feel this is an exploit is that players can go out into the supply camp, attack the NPCs or players there, and run back to heal if they get driven off. I’ve seen it used to destroy a lot of siege by small groups that normally shouldn’t be able to get in. A big part of WvW is the defense of these camps, and it doesn’t seem intended for enemies to be pretty much guaranteed the ability to destroy any defenses put up in only one of these locations. In other places, you are required to either waypoint or run around a mountain elsewhere to get back to an invulnerability area.

I’m just hoping a couple other players feel the same way I do and will report it as a bug. If you disagree, you disagree. This doesn’t seem intentional though.

Attachments:

Ehmry Bay – Grindhouse Gaming [GH]
Menorah | Charr Cat | Some Cat Thing
Still running my old RRR build because why not

in WvW

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

It’s been threaded before. We’ve all seen it. Just wait for the corrections to be made in a future patch.

in WvW

Faux Sheaux.6179

Thanks for the info. Threads get lost quickly and the search function here is mediocre at best without the ability to attach keywords to them.

in WvW

Posted by: Urrid.4593

Urrid.4593

It’s been threaded before. We’ve all seen it. Just wait for the corrections to be made in a future patch.

Movie Trailer Voice
Summer 2013, the patch, you’ve been waiting for…

…has finally arrived.

etc etc they will never fix it.

Coral -Mesmer- Omnomnivore and TC’er.

in WvW

Posted by: ARM.3912

ARM.3912

Working as intended IMO. That is their spawn, and they have a right to run back to that spot just like the front gate of their spawn.

in WvW

Posted by: kuora.5402

kuora.5402

Working as intended IMO. That is their spawn, and they have a right to run back to that spot just like the front gate of their spawn.

No, you’re so wrong that it’s almost sad.

I’ve used that spot and I’ve seen whole guilds using it. You’re supposed to be attacked when you jump down that hill, just like every other foot of that hill in that area. That area was clearly overlooked by the devs, and abusing that spot could get you banned.

¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸
[Aia] Amoria- The guild of pleasant love

in WvW

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

It is technically not their spawn and I would hazard to guess the reason for it. When they created the maps they used an overlay for no siege/invulnerability for the spawn areas. However due to the irregularity of the cliff faces (and there is another in the south east camp unless that one was fixed) they had to go right out to the cliff edge to avoid siege being deployed on the side of the cliff. It looks like they used the same overlay for both siege and invulnerability so the invuln area in certain spots is not at the top of the cliff where it should be but flows into the bottom which is technically a war zone.

They should have had separate overlays for siege and for invulnerability so that the no-siege area can be as is while the invuln area should be a foot or 2 back from the cliff edge. That would fix things.

Theftwind (HoD)

in WvW

Posted by: MarkusParkus.8467

MarkusParkus.8467

I’ve seen so many people Abusing that spot lately, really hope the Dev’s manage to fix it soon.. its ruined many a decent 1vs1 / 1vs2 for me!

Furious Scumbag, Raging Scumbag & Geologist Greywind
[NOX] & [Coma] – Gunnar’s Hold.

in WvW

Posted by: Ilesyt.7084

Ilesyt.7084

There is also a spot on X-Water lowlands.

Leader of Deus Ex Machina [DEX]
Ruins of Surmia

in WvW

ARM.3912

I’ve used that spot and I’ve seen whole guilds using it. You’re supposed to be attacked when you jump down that hill, just like every other foot of that hill in that area. That area was clearly overlooked by the devs, and abusing that spot could get you banned.

That sounds a lot like an opinion, since you can’t speak for the devs. Working as intended to me unless they give an official response saying otherwise (and if they do, my official response is why don’t you fix it then)

in WvW

Faux Sheaux.6179

It’s more a matter of common sense than anything. If something doesn’t work in other places and only does in one specific place that is otherwise insignificant, then it’s not so tough to realize that it’s something that has been overlooked.

in WvW

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Very much so this is a problem. It leads to entire groups of people having to try to protect this camp while the invading server can just sit there and heal up and still do damage. Did you ever notice how if you are at a higher elevation in PvE than the mob you are attacking and you suddenly get an invuln message when you attack. Do you know why this is? Because where the mob is at it cannot do damage to you. Therefore you are given an unfair advantage against the mob and the system registers this and thereby forces you to be on equal ground with the mob. In WvW it is the exact opposite you retreat to this bugged invuln spot are able to dish out damage frustrating the life out of the defending players all the while they can’t damage you. If they refuse to fix the spot then make your attacks to all other enemies/players receive the invun message there by forcing you to either A. Actually come out and fight or B. Be on equal footing with the players you are fighting where they are annoyingly invulnerable simply because you are. I don’t think this fix would be that hard to implement since they can already do it in PvE

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

People like to troll the newer players that don’t know about that spot. It should be fixed.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

in WvW

Posted by: Tei.1704

Tei.1704

If the invulnerable zones at refuge are oversights, they are good ones. Refuge is the only camp in the game without any sort of back door exit. If the zones go away, the camp should be redesigned so people losing a fight at refuge don’t have to run past a potentially much larger enemy force or be trapped. In fact, another exit would be much better because anybody from any team could use it.

in WvW

jportell.2197

If the invulnerable zones at refuge are oversights, they are good ones. Refuge is the only camp in the game without any sort of back door exit. If the zones go away, the camp should be redesigned so people losing a fight at refuge don’t have to run past a potentially much larger enemy force or be trapped. In fact, another exit would be much better because anybody from any team could use it.

This is where the talk of risk vs reward comes in. Right now there is no risk in assaulting a camp with a prime location near a keep and a tower for assaulting. It is should be the hardest to take because the reward is you get plenty of supply to siege the keep right next door. Notice how lodge on the island has easy access to both invading servers but also gives the best escape? That’s because the reward of capping this camp is lowest. It is still quite a trek to get the supply from the camp to the assault point. The same can be said for the x-lowlands camp. It doesn’t give as viable an escape option as the lodge camp but it also isn’t RIGHT at the doorstep of a keep. So you still have a couple escape routes if capping this camp goes south. More than vale but less than lodge and that is because the reward is greater than lodge but less than vale. Make sense? The camp that is basically a welcome mat for bay should be the hardest to take and involve the greatest risk. Right now that simply is not so.

Edit: To the person that stated that is their spawn and they should be able to run back to it like their front gate. Does running to this spot allow them to run all the way up to the main part of their spawn? No. Does the front gate of their spawn give instant easy access to a key camp? No. Now both spawns are right in front of a tower and if capping that goes south they still have to run across an open field back to their invuln spot but it still involves crossing more open space to get there. Please don’t try and cheapen this exploit by stating it is their spawn because it is not.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

(edited by jportell.2197)

in WvW

Posted by: Wotah.2975

Wotah.2975

I guess I shouldn’t tell you guys about the side of that same hill, or about the fact that Lowlands has the exact same thing on its North face. Sshhhh.

Wotah, Brutaler [SICK]/[SG]
Plague/Shadow Gypsies
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Donner.6293

Donner.6293

I learned about this spot yesterday during an 1on1 and in the following hours I reported at least 5 people for abusing this (of course, since there is no report option for exploiting nothing will happen unfortunately).
But I want to bump this thread because it certainly is exploited reguarly.

If the invulnerable zones at refuge are oversights, they are good ones. Refuge is the only camp in the game without any sort of back door exit.

Yea, it’s a very good oversight that one team can not be damaged while still being able to attack others when waiting for backup from the very close spawn…

As soon as someone stands there and still attacks others, it’s deliberate exploting and should be punished!
If he just stands there doing nothing, it may be an exception, but even then it’s an unfair advantage over others that can not avoid repair costs when losing an encounter.

in WvW

Posted by: Zoel.9154

Zoel.9154

The objectives are further than 1500 range from the spot. If you can’t deal with it, then that’s a you problem. I am elated whenever someone uses it to kill someone from my server, because frankly they aren’t doing anything worthwhile if they get killed by it.

Zoel – GM of [coVn]

in WvW

jportell.2197

The objectives are further than 1500 range from the spot. If you can’t deal with it, then that’s a you problem. I am elated whenever someone uses it to kill someone from my server, because frankly they aren’t doing anything worthwhile if they get killed by it.

They are further than 1500 but not by much. Any other invuln spot (including the ones that are at the very north) is much further from the objective.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Ethan Mccloud.3218

Ethan Mccloud.3218

I would normally agree on certain places having an unfair advantage but having use that spot a few times myself… i don’t really have many issues with it . You can only use it if your spawn waypoint is directly closes to it. (your spawn point has it closest so u can come in from the mountain side behind). I’ve stood on an outmanned map trying to defend against an onslaught of zergs from either side trying to claim an reclaim said camp. The invul spot is a cheap heal spot avail to everybody in there own perspective borderlands. I like to call it the trolling spot since its only real purpose is to greif other toons already dominating a map.

i see no need to waste dev time on it , as the camp gets flipped more times then a gymnast at a meet already. I see now this will fall on deaf ears as people simply can’t find the humor in this spot or the countless others already on the map. Unless you move to the hill an engage the person or persons standing there, the people who are pretty much in control of the camp are fairly safe themselves.. that is until a zerg pops in a reclaims.
And just a foot note you can’t claim the camp from that invul spot .. sooner or later the hill people will have to move in an attack, and if you were really smart player like the ones ive encountered the past .. u can kill peeps .. BLack gate had a few people who knew how to draw us away from that spot an kill us .. Feel free to p.m me an ill be glad to share how they did it. Besides if this is your biggest pet peave and or issue ,, then chances are your already missing the Biggiest atrocities taking place daily.

Gwen
Tarnish Coast Defender
Proud Member OF “TSF” The Shining Force.

in WvW

Posted by: crystalpink.2487

crystalpink.2487

The invulnerability spot is not just in Redvale/x-vale camps.
There are actually many invulnerability spots in other places, such as north camp, x-water camp, the east and west small pathways just outside the spawn area in every BLs, and so on, where enemies can’t attack the players, but the players can attack and kill the enemies.

This is why WvW players should pay attention to the max distance of “Determined” buff.

Euphemia Hime (Elementalist), Pinky Pearl (Mesmer), Avicenia (Ranger), Vanille Morgana (Necromancer)
Chibi Asura San (Engineer), Hikaru Masai (Guardian), Selene Minerva (Revenant)
Guild: The Bunnies [Bun] ~ Server: Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: kuora.5402

kuora.5402

That sounds a lot like an opinion, since you can’t speak for the devs. Working as intended to me unless they give an official response saying otherwise (and if they do, my official response is why don’t you fix it then)

I’m assuming you’re aged over 12, so I guess you are able to test something out yourself, and assume what is right or wrong.

You clearly are not able to do that.

[Aia] Amoria- The guild of pleasant love

in WvW

ARM.3912

I’m assuming you’re aged over 12, so I guess you are able to test something out yourself, and assume what is right or wrong.

You clearly are not able to do that.

Your trolling aside, who made you judge of how the game should work? I think my character should be able to insta-kill zergs and fly through walls but that doesn’t mean I’m right. And everyone who attacks someone standing in the invulnerable spot KNOWS that person is invulnerable. Any death they suffer is their own fault for not walking away. It’s not like they are standing in those spots taking down keep walls. I believe the devs put those spots in the game to cull out people not smart enough to walk away.

in WvW

Posted by: MarMaster.6241

MarMaster.6241

These spots have been reported. Since they are still here, I’m inclined to agree that the devs are leaving these spots so spawn campers have to be careful.
I have been on both sides of this situation. It is what it is. This is no different than standing at your spawn main gate, trolling the zerg.

Dragonbrand (JQ) [FIRE]bats ~ Trusted member of the Universe
Mar Steadfast G, Silent Intrigue T, Mar Fidget Engi, Mar Fierce W, Silent Awe M
In GW2 since BWE1 ~ ~ ~ Guild leader of Legio Romana [LR], too

in WvW

Posted by: Ethan Mccloud.3218

Ethan Mccloud.3218

totally agree marmaster ..

Gwen
Tarnish Coast Defender
Proud Member OF “TSF” The Shining Force.