Refunding World Abilities *Again*

in WvW

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

“We will also be refunding all spent World Ability Points of all characters in the game at the start of the season”.

Why not have a system that lets you spend ingame gold to reset them.
They’ve manually reset them previously, just let players manage this themselves.

While were here make it an alt friendly system too. Make points you accumulate account bound.

in WvW

Posted by: Don Alosi.2401

Don Alosi.2401

they will NOT make them account bound, they have said that over and over again, but i woul love a way to reset your points by spending gold, as you suggested

Janse Bloodspoilt – Charr Engineer
Dances with the Sun – Sylvar Guardian
r20 / Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Xenn.3809

Xenn.3809

The way was written may me wonder…

Will they reset the points every 7 weeks, after new season begins?

Will go wiht the idea of ‘experimenting’ what you like most.

Xenn [TDA]
Mesmer | Guardian | Necro | Ele
The Banana Team | www.tda.nu

in WvW

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

I like the soft locking of the points. It would be cool if they reset them every reset.

in WvW

Posted by: Kosmo.5187

Kosmo.5187

I was surprised that these points couldn’t be reset like traits. After all, there is no real good way of trying out the various ability lines the way the system works now. It seems like a perfectly fine place to put a gold/badge sink. If the idea of committing to a particular set of abilities is supposed to be compelling, wouldn’t that also be true for the normal traits? It isn’t. It doesn’t even have to be dirt cheap, I’d just appreciate if the option existed.

Think of the possibilities.

in WvW

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

One of GW2’s strengths is the way we can try out different builds.
So, please, let us have access to that for WXP builds (rather than restrict us to one-off changes every 7 weeks).

TBH, the WXP system seems like it’s grown haphazardly, without applying any of the great thinking that went into the rest of GW2’s character build system.

in WvW

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

I was just wondering why the reset of abilities never happened?

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

Just reset WXP points everytime you add new mastery. Thats it. no more needed.

in WvW

Posted by: Kalan.9705

Kalan.9705

they will NOT make them account bound, they have said that over and over again, but i woul love a way to reset your points by spending gold, as you suggested

Pretty sure player pressure will force the Devs to get over their random stubbornness on this one issue and return to the situation where people can play alts in wvw including choosing to play classes who accumulate wxp more slowly without being quite so totally boned.

Account-wide has come to most other systems in GW2, it will come to wxp too eventually providing people keep asking for it (extremely likely).

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I read this thread and was like “not this again…” and then I noticed that it was already in the title so at least there’s some tacit awareness that this horse has already been beaten into pulp.

On topic, no. Respecs aren’t necessary because you can just get more points. If you could respec, any points beyond 300 would be pretty much irrelevant. Scheduled, very occasional respecs are okay, but people will just game the system if they have the choice to change.

Also I find the somewhat political attitude people are taking towards account wide WXP ranks quite interesting. Hopefully they do cave though.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Don’t want respec option that costs gold but one that say costs 250 badges of honour, yes that would be good.

in WvW

Posted by: DevonCarver.5370

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

On topic, no. Respecs aren’t necessary because you can just get more points. If you could respec, any points beyond 300 would be pretty much irrelevant. Scheduled, very occasional respecs are okay, but people will just game the system if they have the choice to change.

This is exactly why we are taking the path we have in regards to respecs. Because of the fact that you can continue to earn WXP and World Ability Points, giving everyone a respec, even an incredibly expensive one would cause people to shift around their points as the current meta dictates. Right now, you will have the opportunity at the start of a season to rethink how your characters are set up and to spend your points accordingly, without feeling like you are forever bound to your choices. But, because you can’t just back out of them whenever, they have more weight. That’s why we have done what we have.

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

and this season gonna start next week, aye?

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Posted by: Asudementio.8526

Asudementio.8526

the 4th of october

Leader of [Suh]
My moves are fresh, like my groceries.
#TeamEvonforever

in WvW

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

The reason why respeccing at will without timers is because it would make the VERY powerful. Oh, you have 100 points? Well, instead of spreading that around to be good at all situations you could reset it at will constantly. Going to take a keep with trebs? Switch to all trebs? Oh, done and now defending, go and swap to all AC mastery.

Not being able to reset at will makes people choose how to be the most optimal. The points aren’t capped, so they aren’t focing you into a “build”, but they are making you choose how you want to balance your bonuses.

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in WvW

Posted by: Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

WXP abilities should be account bound.

Having it character bound means that in order to be effective with other players you are better off sticking to a single character.
Those who prefer to play several characters are therefore at a disadvantage.

What’s better spending 300 WXP over 3 characters, or 300 WXP on a single character?

Macros, you can use them as long as they arent macros.
Remember to buy the officially endorsed GW2 Steel Series Keyboard, it supports macros!
WvW, we only care if it affects the servers we play on.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

This is exactly why we are taking the path we have in regards to respecs. Because of the fact that you can continue to earn WXP and World Ability Points, giving everyone a respec, even an incredibly expensive one would cause people to shift around their points as the current meta dictates. Right now, you will have the opportunity at the start of a season to rethink how your characters are set up and to spend your points accordingly, without feeling like you are forever bound to your choices. But, because you can’t just back out of them whenever, they have more weight. That’s why we have done what we have.

Completely disagree with you. What you are encouraging is actually the dumbing down of WvW. What would be better is for a commander to discuss with his team members at the beginning of the run what role a person would play. Some people need different skills. The commander would know who his trebber would be vs his golem person, etc. It adds a whole new strategy to the daily grind of WvW.

Strategy is a good thing. Points should be easily reset at around the same cost similar to resetting skills.

in WvW

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

Completely disagree with you. What you are encouraging is actually the dumbing down of WvW. What would be better is for a commander to discuss with his team members at the beginning of the run what role a person would play. Some people need different skills. The commander would know who his trebber would be vs his golem person, etc. It adds a whole new strategy to the daily grind of WvW.

Strategy is a good thing. Points should be easily reset at around the same cost similar to resetting skills.

Dumbing down? The meta of WvW is this:

find blue tag
follow blue tag
press 1

How can you dumb that down further?

I know people who don’t have a use for wxp points, as the poster above said, anything over 300-400 would be pointless because you could just respec for whatever you wanted.

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

in WvW

Posted by: Bailey.6892

Bailey.6892

They have said lots of things and lied about a lot of things. Never trust them.

in WvW

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

The reason why respeccing at will without timers is because it would make the VERY powerful. Oh, you have 100 points? Well, instead of spreading that around to be good at all situations you could reset it at will constantly. Going to take a keep with trebs? Switch to all trebs? Oh, done and now defending, go and swap to all AC mastery.

Not being able to reset at will makes people choose how to be the most optimal. The points aren’t capped, so they aren’t focing you into a “build”, but they are making you choose how you want to balance your bonuses.

Because this keeps me from wearing all condition damage armor/trinkets when I hop on an arrow cart to tick people for 130 bleeds? This means I can’t go respec from being a griefing thief to a support thief?

Oh wait, I do those things. What?

SWEET MOTHER OF GOD, FLEXIBILITY! VERSATILITY!?!? STOP THE GADDANG PRESSES!!!

Flexibility doesn’t break the game. Where the flying rip did that thought come from?

in WvW

Posted by: Canguro.5768

Canguro.5768

I like the idea that someone else posted about reseting the points every reset, so at least for a given matchup you won’t have the flexibility to change them for every situation.

Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Gravy.7589

Gravy.7589

You can reset your character traits for 3+ silver, I don’t see why its such a big deal to do the same for WvW traits. In fact since there are so many traits/option to choose from and more being added in upcoming patches its not really logical to lock them down as you have. The argument that, “Because you can’t just back out of them whenever, they have more weight,” makes zero sense for diversity of game play and seems like an easy cop out.

in WvW

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

I spent the first 2 months doing AC mastery. Now I don’t want to touch an AC again. How is me getting to do something different hurting anything ?!?

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

Just make it expensive as heck. Make it cost 10G to respec.

No one is going to do “situational” respeccing in that case.

There should be some work done on this because as server’s and guilds change in population, rank, and focus; the players will need to change how they play.

For instance, a medium rank server loses some guilds. Their position goes from an equilibrium to being on the defensive a lot more. Players who were probably speccing for more offensive siege traits will suddenly find that they need cannon and AC mastery a lot more. Now that they are outmanned all the time, they cannot earn WXP fast enough to trait into these and leaves them, their guild(s), and their server in an uncomfortable position.

Not to mention that if a new mastery is added that is valuable that people literally get the rug pulled out from underneath.

in WvW

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I like the respec for each match idea.

I would like to try some things but not be stuck in them. Mostly just curious to see things working for myself.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

in WvW

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

As much as I would love to spend gold to respec, This makes sense to me. Curse you Devon! Your logic has won the day.

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

in WvW

Posted by: cubed.2853

cubed.2853

Right now, you will have the opportunity at the start of a season to rethink how your characters are set up and to spend your points accordingly, without feeling like you are forever bound to your choices. But, because you can’t just back out of them whenever, they have more weight. That’s why we have done what we have.

So there is a reset for every season?

it was written…

in WvW

Posted by: Yodaman.3274

Yodaman.3274

I’m a big supporter for account bound wxp experience but character bound wxp builds. Besides this point I’m surprised that ANET doesn’t take the respeccing situation to make some money and hire more staff for WvW (both are positives for a company and for the most part the WvW commnunity) and make it a set 400 gems to respec WvW ability points.

FA [BOSS]/ Ragarok Lvl 80 Ele/ Invisabelle Lvl 80 Mes/ Oni Sa Lvl 80 Thief/Hammon Lvl 80 Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: GreenAlien.5623

GreenAlien.5623

Will we be forced to respec? I actually like my points where they are right now and do not like to be forced to think about them again and again and again.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Strategy can work on larger scales than that. What if your guild group specifically builds to have every siege that they can expect to place on the field filled with a dedicated person who has built to fulfill that role? That’s a very long-term, large, group-driven series of decisions. Whether it’s actually being filled by the current system is a different question entirely and possibly a point I agree with you on, the skill system could use a bit of fiddling to get the costings right and maybe nail down the outliers in DAG/GK, but it’s at the least a good goal to aim for.

Yes, some people do need different skills- But you already have the means to get those different skills. If you’re in a guild group with dedicated WvWers, or have good information on how your server/BL of choice is going to spec, you’re going to have the opportunity to make an informed decision on filling a specific role in WvW. By allowing respecs on a dime, you turn everyone from structured, locked builds which have an incentive to grow, into amorphous grey sludges which has the means to seep into every role. Amorphous grey sludge isn’t fun and doesn’t make players feel special.

I spent the first 2 months doing AC mastery. Now I don’t want to touch an AC again. How is me getting to do something different hurting anything ?!?

You’ll have that opportunity. You have that opportunity right now, even; you just won’t do quite as well as someone dedicated to the relevant trait lines.

Will we be forced to respec? I actually like my points where they are right now and do not like to be forced to think about them again and again and again.

I doubt you’ll be able to turn it down; your points will just get refunded when the season starts. Kind of a pain if you have a lot of points to remember where they are.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

(edited by Sarrs.4831)