Refusing to get legendaries/ascended

in WvW

Posted by: Waking.6052

Waking.6052

If you’re like me and refusing to grind for a legendary weapon or ascended jewelry I’d like to hear about it.

I have one level 80 and I carefully plotted which type of armor I wanted, got my full exotic set and several exotic weapons (all the ones I use). I’m happy with those stats, and I see significant but not motivating stat increases on the ascended jewelry.

So I’m not doing any PvE except to fuel my WvW, which amounts to about a gold a day of farming various rares and selling them on the TC. The rest of my time is spent in WvW.

I once purchased gems with gold, and I don’t plan on doing that any more. I don’t plan on purchasing gems with real money either. I refuse to grind in a game that said there wouldn’t be grinding. I refuse to enter the treadmill in a game that said there would be no treadmill.

If/when I start having a disadvantage in WvW because someone else was grinding out a legendary or ascended gear in a PVE environment, then I will be searching for an’other’ game.

Guardian Commander “The Lord Saves”
Mesmer Commander “The Lord Knows”
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: GuardianOMS.8067

GuardianOMS.8067

Okay, that’s fine. Do want you want, no one is forcing you to grind for a cosmetic item or one with a 3% boost. I don’t have full exotics on one of my alts and I can play her just fine in WvW. Gear is not the end all result of a fight in this game. It’s skill and class.

Sgt Killjoy – “Pedantic” “babe” and “bff” of Saiyr
The devs don’t care about WvW so I’m gonna kill players in PvE!

in WvW

Posted by: Arcadio.6875

Arcadio.6875

Yeah, I’m not going to do things I don’t find to be fun. I might want a legendary one day so I’m keeping in mind what I need that way I won’t get rid of them, but otherwise I’m not actively pursuing it.

Lord Arcadio
League Of Ascending Immortals [OATH]

in WvW

Posted by: Fiction.6418

Fiction.6418

If you’re like me and refusing to grind for a legendary weapon or ascended jewelry I’d like to hear about it.

I have one level 80 and I carefully plotted which type of armor I wanted, got my full exotic set and several exotic weapons (all the ones I use). I’m happy with those stats, and I see significant but not motivating stat increases on the ascended jewelry.

So I’m not doing any PvE except to fuel my WvW, which amounts to about a gold a day of farming various rares and selling them on the TC. The rest of my time is spent in WvW.

I once purchased gems with gold, and I don’t plan on doing that any more. I don’t plan on purchasing gems with real money either. I refuse to grind in a game that said there wouldn’t be grinding. I refuse to enter the treadmill in a game that said there would be no treadmill.

If/when I start having a disadvantage in WvW because someone else was grinding out a legendary or ascended gear in a PVE environment, then I will be searching for an’other’ game.

I am with you.. I have my exotics on thief and working up my guardian for exotics now, I only spend time in wvw but I still make more than I spend $ wise so I have no reason to go elsewhere. My gf has stopped making cash purchases of gems and I have well I never have I’m a slacker but I see nothing on the gem store that is really worth money anyway. I have whined or kittened my guildmates heads off about the no vertical progression turning out to be a big lie… I am not playing gw2 for pve.

Evidence – 80Asura Thief | Skáldskap 80Human Guardian | Pirateking 80Human Mesmer
Pvp Inc. [PvP]
Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

There is no such thing as an MMO without some form of grinding. There never will be (and don’t give me that console stuff, it doesn’t count). What GW2 has is a significant step down from what we’ve seen in games like WoW (of which I am an avid player). Ever tried to get a legendary there? HAH. Ever tried to gear up there? HAH.

On that note, a 5-8% average stat increase on the single new tier they 1) said they wanted to add at launch but didn’t have the time or method and 2) have stated is the only one they’re ever adding (they’re releasing the set over time, not introducing new tiers)…well, you know what? Short version: that’s not a treadmill.

If you’re unhappy that you have to put in some time and effort for your rewards, then MMOs may not be your game.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

(edited by Christos de Soufre.3802)

in WvW

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

well whenever the legendary rifle fits Engineer animations, i’ll start working toward it.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in WvW

Posted by: Burl.9567

Burl.9567

I wouldn’t mind the treadmill so much if I could get the stuff in WvW. It is nice to have something to work towards. I will NOT PvE to get ascended gear though. Period.

in WvW

Posted by: Bunzy.8674

Bunzy.8674

I am with you, When I got this game I never expected to have to grind dungeons for gear. They went back on everything they said about vertical gear progression.

Bunzy – I’m a mother father gentleman
Maguuma
WvW Roaming Videos

in WvW

Burl.9567

All I can say is that the Jan/Feb patch better have ascended gear progression through a means of WvW or I know a few guilds that will be moving on.

in WvW

Posted by: Rhyis.7058

Rhyis.7058

Ascended gear is almost no stat change at all. I’m quite content with my exotics.

in WvW

Posted by: Astry.9476

Astry.9476

I’ve done enough fractals for my monthly. I will not do anything further hah. They are way too repetitive for me to do those day in and day out. But some people like it, and like grinding for stuff I suppose. The only pve I intend on doing at the moment are just world completion stuff, and running around Orr gathering mats to sell in the TP to cover some of the costs of WvW.

in WvW

Burl.9567

Ascended gear is almost no stat change at all. I’m quite content with my exotics.

I doubt you will be saying that when you start going up against people in full ascended gear later on while you are “sticking to your guns” on the exotics.

in WvW

Posted by: Daedalus.3954

Daedalus.3954

It’s an 8% increase in stats. Not enough to do all that farming. I’m fine with exotics as well.

Commander Kaena Godsfire – Guardian
Server – Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Astry.9476

Astry.9476

I doubt you will be saying that when you start going up against people in full ascended gear later on while you are “sticking to your guns” on the exotics.

I personally will be fine with exotics, there is no way at all I would ever do as many fractals as it takes to get up to having a full set. I do hope they add more ways than that to obtain them.

If people want to do it, they deserve it. I just can’t bring myself to sit down and grind out something like that lol. I’m with some other folks here – I’m perfectly fine with my exotics.

in WvW

Posted by: FrozeNuggz.7219

FrozeNuggz.7219

I want a legendary, i want a legendary soooooo baddd it hurts, i want a legendary,
WvW title “Legendary Destroyer of Worlds”………..

Shaniquia Johnson – Frozenuggz [KnT] Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Reslinal.2359

Reslinal.2359

The stat increase with current introduced ascended gear is small enough that I can afford to not care about it and stick with my exotics. Once the full ascended gears are introduced they better implement some ways to get ithem n WvW, otherwise i will quit the game.

Blackgate Engineer

in WvW

Posted by: Krakah.3582

Krakah.3582

Burned out on PvE from Wow raiding, cannot do it anymore.

-KNT- BG

in WvW

Posted by: spif.7580

spif.7580

The stat increase with current introduced ascended gear is small enough that I can afford to not care about it and stick with my exotics. Once the full ascended gears are introduced they better implement some ways to get ithem n WvW, otherwise i will quit the game.

Pretty much this.

—- Kaineng : Nuke → Saarc ---

in WvW

Posted by: Ironvos.9014

Ironvos.9014

That’s good, you shouldn’t be grinding for any of those anyway.
Just play the game and keep some things, sell others, eventually you should have either way too many gold or too many resources and you may think, ohwell maybe i’ll slap together this legendary anyway (this could be years from now :p).
It’s a lot more fun that way, and you always having something out there that you can look forward to.
Grinding for all that just destroys your own endgame.

Far Shiverpeaks
Luna Solares – Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

On that note, a 5-8% average stat increase on the single new tier they 1) said they wanted to add at launch but didn’t have the time or method

Which no one with more than two brain cells to rub together believes, because they sold the game on a totally different premise and even explicitly stated you would not be forced to grind a gear treadmill to get the most powerful gear.

2) have stated is the only one they’re ever adding (they’re releasing the set over time, not introducing new tiers)…well, you know what? Short version: that’s not a treadmill.

Short verison – simply by adding another tier of gear it is already a treadmill, the exact opposite to what they sold the game on. They have already u-turned on multiple things from a gear treadmill to being able to get the said gear from mulitple sources, hence their promises that this is it, are just laughable, not they even need to add a new tier initially as they have tiers of infusions they can release to keep treadmill hamsters running.

And what do you think they will do when the little hamsters that make up what is left of their playerbase get their ascended gear and start posting on the forums that there is nothing to do?

If you’re unhappy that you have to put in some time and effort for your rewards, then MMOs may not be your game.

People are unhappy becasue they bought the game on the basis of things like this:

“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.”

So when they find out just three months into the game, they do indeed have to hop on to a gear treadmill, that it is in fact not optional if you want gear just as powerful, they tend to get upset at being misled.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

in WvW

Posted by: Ironvos.9014

Ironvos.9014

Why do you need to hop on the threadmill? those few % increase in your stats won’t make you a better player. Skill in this game is still more important than stats.

You have a choice, have fun while playing with rare/exotic gear.
Or be bored and miserable while grinding for those few extra % stats for months.
By the time your grinding is over and you get your precious gear you’ll be so burned out you don’t even want to play the game anymore.

Far Shiverpeaks
Luna Solares – Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: OCDouglas.5401

OCDouglas.5401

I wouldn’t mind the treadmill so much if I could get the stuff in WvW. It is nice to have something to work towards. I will NOT PvE to get ascended gear though. Period.

In the update post about the Ascended gear, they already stated that they would add ways to get them from WvW later, so just chill for a bit.

in WvW

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

The game has been out for just a couple months and people are already complaining about grind? The game has not been out long enough for anyone to be complaining about grind.

in WvW

Posted by: Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

GW2 was not supposed to be about grinding, yet everything about it requires you to grind for more and more gold. And silly little thing which make you waste gold like in Charr area where you have to use that cat to get to vista; it seems like you have to bet on those 3 outcomes when I dont think you do, do 1g50s wasted there. Just too much stuff which makes you spend gold, and not many to make gold; at least for casual players.
Definitely not liking the economy of this game, gems are now hugely expensive and it’s like, what’s the point any more.

I find myself spending more time in WvW than PvE anyway.

Macros, you can use them as long as they arent macros.
Remember to buy the officially endorsed GW2 Steel Series Keyboard, it supports macros!
WvW, we only care if it affects the servers we play on.

in WvW

Posted by: Evil Santa.1756

Evil Santa.1756

Wow, you have put more thought into your toons gear then i ever will. My lvl 80 that i WvW with is in rares with a couple pvp karma exotics i’ve purchased. I do empathisize with the OP’s view of not grinding to enjoy WvW, and if the game comes to that, then I will stop playing as well.

in WvW

Posted by: Dockin.1745

Dockin.1745

It’s cut and dry for me. If it isn’t fun, I’m not doing it. This is a game. There are too many games out there to play one that isn’t fun.

Right now things are fun. I don’t need to grind to have a level playing field in WvW. I also can grind if I choose to have the skin of a legendary or a dungeon skin etc. However, like many others, exotics is fine for me.

I hope they don’t make it so that I have to grind for Ascended because I won’t.

in WvW

Posted by: Centrix.4065

Centrix.4065

There are 2 reasons I am not going for a legendary:

- Too much grindfest to get them. I don’t like grinding, and killing the same monster 3x in a row is already annoying to me. The amount of effort I would put into getting one is not worth the result in my opinion.

- I basically only play WvW, and since you stand out with a legendary, I don’t think legendary + wvw = best thing to do.

So in the end, I would have to do a lot of things I don’t like to do to get one, just to stand out in my group in WvW making myself an easier target… Digging my own grave.

Lv.80 Elementalist, Guardian, Necromancer, Thief
[VII] Seventh Legion | http://twitch.tv/censtudios

in WvW

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

People just need to relax. Seriously.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Fixeon.5076

Fixeon.5076

As a person who spends about 85-90% of their time in WvW I don’t think I have any choice but to not get a Legendary/Ascended item.

Sure I could go farm, could save up 800-1k gold and buy most of it…. but I have much more fun in WvW than in dungeons or fractals. I would like to see a WvW path for these items. I have no problem with grinding out a bit as long as its in a format I enjoy. And with any luck the Anet crew will figure that out and put something in for us.

Fixeon – Guardian
Umberage of Death – Thief
~~~Sanctum of Rall~~~

in WvW

Posted by: Cosmos The Cat.2954

Cosmos The Cat.2954

As a person who spends about 85-90% of their time in WvW I don’t think I have any choice but to not get a Legendary/Ascended item.

Sure I could go farm, could save up 800-1k gold and buy most of it…. but I have much more fun in WvW than in dungeons or fractals. I would like to see a WvW path for these items. I have no problem with grinding out a bit as long as its in a format I enjoy. And with any luck the Anet crew will figure that out and put something in for us.

This^
I should be able to get the same quality items in PvE or WvW.

TC Thief
[DIS][STAR]

in WvW

Posted by: Beefcake.9032

Beefcake.9032

I dont undestand the point of this thread. You enter PvP and everybody has same level and access to all equipment. You enter WvW and everybody has same level. Getting rare items is easy/cheap, getting exotics is easy and only slightly bettar. Getting legendary is kitty hard and also only slightly bettar, hardly anybody but motivated PvE players will get this.

There’s not going to be any wuvwuv imbalance through players having a legendary weapon. And even if the odd player is slightly stronger with such a weapon, it’s so hard to achieve that it only buffs <1% of players.

Wrainbash, Asura Warrior of Kodasch Allianz [KoA]
Du spielst auf Kodasch? Besuche doch mal die Kodasch Community Webseite! :)

in WvW

Posted by: Krosan.2890

Krosan.2890

And again people decide to totally ignore the fact ascended gear just got release, aswell as ignoring the fact Anet has already said it will be accesable through WvW or such.
And complaining about not getting a legendary seems pretty pointless for a self proclaimed pvp’er since it doesn’t even have better stats.

in WvW

Burl.9567

And again people decide to totally ignore the fact ascended gear just got release, aswell as ignoring the fact Anet has already said it will be accesable through WvW or such.

We didn’t ignore it. The big question is “accessible when?” 10 months from now isn’t acceptable, especially when we will have more ascended gear surely added before then making the gear gap even greater. It should have been there at it’s release (as they have admitted themselves).

in WvW

Posted by: Katsumoto.9452

Katsumoto.9452

Ascended should just be available on the trading post. Don’t care that it’d be expensive, it would mean I don’t have to do a lame endless dungeon.

It should also be attainable from other methods too, if it was another exotic set fine, but it isn’t, it’s the best stuff in the game.

Aurora Glade [EU]

in WvW

Posted by: Porky.5021

Porky.5021

I can’t grind anymore. I get bored too quickly. I’ve accepted I’ll never have the best gear. I’m not even full exotics yet and I’ve been playing since the first week.

I don’t care, though. I’m close enough that I can still do okay in WvW. I still run around kill who I can, die to the others (frequently) and run back to do it all again.

If I fall too far behind on gear that I can’t even put up a fight, I’ll have to decide what to do, but until then, not gonna worry about it. I’ll just use what I got.

Overlord Of [NAKY]
SOS Spy Team Commander [SPY]

in WvW

Posted by: Besetment.9187

Besetment.9187

Still using a green back item because thats how I roll. 4g for the guild backpack? B-b-but thats like 33 superior arrow carts!

in WvW

Posted by: Assassinin.4963

Assassinin.4963

There is no such thing as an MMO without some form of grinding.

Many MMO do not require grinding if you do not want to. These are mostly subscription based MMO. Most people has the impression of MMO = Grinding from WoW.

Look at Eve Online, you do not need to grind if you don’t want to. The general observation is if you are willing to spend money, you do not need to grind. Most people grind so that they do not need to spend additional money on the MMO.

in WvW

Posted by: ViRuE.3612

ViRuE.3612

I’m basically grinding without realizing I’m grinding towards a legendary. I just dump all my stuff in the bank/consumables as I go along. I don’t have a target, I don’t really even know what legendary I might eventually get. I’m just enjoying the game. If I play it for long enough at some point I will have all the stuff I can get from WvWvW and I will decide if I want to do the PVE part to actually get the legendary.

Ascended… I have no intention of grinding dungeons for that stuff. I like the fractals, they did a nice job, but PVE dungeon grinding is not for me. They really dropped the ball when releasing this without a way to get the same from WvWvW.

(edited by ViRuE.3612)

in WvW

Posted by: Star.2037

Star.2037

i cant grind pve anymore. if the grinding occurs while i am pvping… i dont care so much because at least im having fun.

i am hoping that ANET has the good sense to have the wvwvw gear in play soon.

Stàr ^..^
Fist of the Empire

in WvW

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

Even though I don’t grind and just enjoy the game I don’t have as strong an opinion as you have. I don’t mind acquiring a legendary and ascended gear over time but I don’t go out specifically grinding to get them as grind is not fun and I play games for fun.
So I’m not against the adition of them and I disagree you have to grind for them to be able to get them.
I’m really not that fussed about them as I expect I’ll still be competetive, I didn’t feel much of a difference when upgrading to full exotics from a mix of rares and greens and my KDR didn’t change and I expect this step won’t be much different.

in WvW

Posted by: Slamz.5376

Slamz.5376

I’m not “refusing” anything.

I’m just playing the game I enjoy playing, which is 100% WvW. If this ultimately means I end up behind in gear and eventually unable to have fun anymore, then I guess I’ll quit playing at that time (as I did for WOW).

I will never go off and participate in a section of the game that I don’t find fun, just because it gives me “loots”.

Camelot Unchained – from the makers of DAOC
A game that’s 100% WvW
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

in WvW

Posted by: Draw.7529

Draw.7529

Why do people always complain about this? No one is asking you to grind. You do if you want. Your gameplay wont be any different than the others just because of some cosmetic gear. Grind is not an obligation, but you guys keep crying about it since day one.

in WvW

Posted by: DarkDeath.7965

DarkDeath.7965

yup couldnt agree more the game was ment to be about the WvW and the WvW is great concept but with no PVP ranks such as DAOC or Warhammer its just extremely boring i prey to see a system same as daoc or war in the near future before the game goes kitten up and everyone quits for planetside 2 or some other better game

in WvW

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

In the words of Stoney Brown “Shuoooouush!”

Save your badges from wvw. Just do it. WvW is getting love soon enough. Save them. We don’t want a treadmill, but more so we do not want to be forced to do an aspect of the game to have equality. At the same time, if you want attention to be given to this aspect, you need to understand Anet & NCsoft need something tangible that say we get ‘x’ so we can apply ‘y’ for wvw. PvE gets a lot of attention for the RMT through BL TP. It’s simple. Solve for that, and we have more love and attention to wvw sooner. Until then, save your badges. Watch for when wvw get the equality announcements. It’s already been stated, they (ascended) are coming to wvw / accessibility. Legendaries, are full / complete game … not pve, not wvw, not RMT, not specific to anything … inclusive of everything. You can buy 90% of the items with RMT/alot of cash. But you still need the karma, map completion, badges and skill points. I can get 3 of those in wvw, or I can get 3 of those in pve.

PvP Ranks are only available in a balanced environment. WvW is not a balanced environment. But one thing at a time sir, if you were a game dev company your company would be bankrupt, but what an awesome week it would be to play your game. Things all take time, money, and resources.

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

in WvW

Posted by: Wasabee.5031

Wasabee.5031

I don’t see why wouldn’t ANet sell gears on TP? If players want to pay for the items/gears they have a choice. If players want to grind for items/gears, they also have a choice.

To me, I would rather pay for items/gears and spend my time on the area that I like (aka PvP)

ANet would make money for selling gears on TP. It’s a win-win situation. Everyone will be happy, grind or not.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

I don’t see why wouldn’t ANet sell gears on TP? If players want to pay for the items/gears they have a choice. If players want to grind for items/gears, they also have a choice.

To me, I would rather pay for items/gears and spend my time on the area that I like (aka PvP)

ANet would make money for selling gears on TP. It’s a win-win situation. Everyone will be happy, grind or not.

That would be fantastic. And more so specifically … PvP gear, power, vit, toughness – black lion TP skinned ..

actually just editing, wouldn’t it be great if we could RMT gear that we could chose stat1, stat2, stat 3 on?

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

I’m thinking, most PvP/WvW players can get away without them if they choose. PvE though depends on their ideas for future Dungeons and what not, it may be required for these folks.

Personally I WvW 99% of my playtime so exotics will be fine until I’m the lastone without the new gear.

in WvW

Posted by: Wolbryne.4037

Wolbryne.4037

As a thief I see no reason what so ever of getting a legendary. The legendary would be a drop in dps with the same survivability (exotic carrion gear) since it would remove my main dps stat which is condition damage and because toughness hardly works with thieves.
So what does that leave? A visual effect? Should I spend tons and tons of gold and karma on a graphic effect? no, that’d be a huge waste and I’d be mildy kitten if I got myself a legendary, even if I had the money. Besides the supposed visual goodies or eyecandy, if you will, really isn’t very good at all for the dagger, pistol or short bow. The dagger looks like a wierd torch, the pistol looks like miniature megaphone molded from a box of random melted crayons and the rainbow-shooting short bow would even make chuck norris himself doubt his sexuality.

Legendary? No thank’s!

Pret Orian / Pretorían
IRON
“All war is deception.” – General Sun Tzu

in WvW

Posted by: Kontrolle.3514

Kontrolle.3514

http://dulfy.net/2012/11/17/gw2-ascended-gear-and-infusion-recipes/

Just take a look at the “almost no stat change at all”
Espacially items like adelberns/ruriks royal signet ring.
If i dropp my ruby oricalcum rings for those, i gain 4% more critdmg and 200 toughness for a just slight dropp in power/prec

(edited by Kontrolle.3514)

in WvW

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

I laugh at this thread.

After Anet put ascended gear in karma merchant (which is probably), I want to see what they say again. Still say NO ?