Region locking is needed to keep WvW enjoyable.

in WvW

Posted by: Phoenix.3416

Phoenix.3416

As soon as reset happened our Underworld guild alliance descended onto our home borderlands and within 10 minutes we had it locked down. Within 30 minutes the other teams had given up and moved to other servers since we reinforced any area that was attacked instantly and were all on voice coms.

We all sit there upgrading our towers and keeps for hours, around 5 hours later at about 5am my guilds Redwater tower is now missing two personal upgrades and most of the alliance has now logged off since we haven’t seen a single enemy for 3 hours now.
Then around 40 whiteside ridge players come out of nowhere and steamroll the entire borderlands and destroy all of the upgraded walls and buildings easily, meaning those 5 hours of waiting, guarding and upgrading was ruined in a few minutes without actually having to do any real fighting.

Its at this point I realised that Guildwars 2 has no region lock, meaning players from the USA and other timezones are getting recruited onto EU servers so they can steamroll empty wvw servers every night while everyone is in bed. Not only is this permitted its encouraged by many other servers who actively recruit on THESE forums to do it.

This should be classed as an exploit, its incredibly pathetic that a server has to hire people from timezones so different from their own to win and really ruins the fun since whats the point of upgrading a base if other servers will just wait for your server to log off before attacking?

I’m not asking that normal players be stopped from playing in the morning, just the players who aren’t in the region of the defending server since its an insane advantage to be able to come onto an empty server with your entire guild and take over the entire map since a few hours later will have the EU morning players replacing there number.

WvW loses its strategy if guilds can exploit this, they should be uniting and forming alliances to beat the other worlds in open combat instead of hiring people in timezones 8 hours behind them to give them such a huge advantage.

I’m sure many of the players who abuse this will comment saying its a feature, but what’s the point of a guild defending a tower for 5 hours, spending all of there time upgrading it if no one dares to attack it without this exploit anyway? If upgrades were cheaper and took less time to upgrade It would matter less but currently if 5 hours of upgrades can be ruined in a few minutes from something like this I don’t see the point of wasting cash upgrading.

in WvW

Posted by: snarky.8935

snarky.8935

Living in other parts of the world is now an exploit.

in WvW

Phoenix.3416

Troll?

Of course it is when WvW is matched Eu vs Eu not Eu Vs anywhere else.

Common sense really…

If WvW is about sieges and combat, a period where a guild can come on from a timezone outside of the world they are in into an empty defenseless server and beat everything is an exploit.

in WvW

snarky.8935

In no sense is it an exploit.

in WvW

Phoenix.3416

Exploit : To make use of selfishly or unethically

Moving worlds into a server where you have an unfair advantage fits that definition.

in WvW

Posted by: Tiger.6284

Tiger.6284

It’s not an exploit but it does ruin the integrity of the game itself. People are starting to get discouraged from playing because of this

in WvW

snarky.8935

I’m sorry you’re losing but this isn’t an exploit.

in WvW

Posted by: Nanashi.5704

Nanashi.5704

yeah i really agree with you. Last week we had to face a server(Green) that had the bulk of its population come on at night while we were all asleep. So no matter what we took/fortified during the day almost all of it was gone by the next morning, and not just ours (Red) but Blue’s also. I think they should just stop the unlimited free transfer stuff. even once every 24 hours is a bit much (imo).
Having people jump onto the bandwagon for whichever server is winning just sucks the fun out of WvW, which sucks because i love the idea of mass PvP.

in WvW

Phoenix.3416

Even if exploit is the wrong word, this is something that shouldn’t happen as tiger says it ruins WvW for legit players if a guild from a different region can farm WvW for free experience.

CM was nerfed because people could easily get exp from it. How is that deserving to be nerfed if earning even more experience from capping a defenceless WvW server is allowed?

Its an unfair game advantage, you might not say its an exploit but its unethical to take advantage of, although the definition for exploiting still fits…Use (a situation or person) in an unfair or selfish way: “the company was exploiting a legal loophole”.

Not only is it a cheap way to win, it makes WvW upgrades not worth the effort and since WvW is supposed to be a big end game part of the game it ruins the fun of wvw.

Also we aren’t losing, we are a better wvw server, we retook everything when we came back online, but it shouldn’t have happened in the first place. Its free points on a feature that gives bonuses to players.

Imagine if when you’re asleep you lose all of your orbs to 1 world whose abusing this, thats a huge stat and health bonus for when you come online and have to fight them. They got to do that while noone was online to stop them, its simply game breaking

(edited by Phoenix.3416)

in WvW

snarky.8935

So recruit some guilds in different time zones. WvW is supposed to be a 24/7 battle.

It’s a bummer that you don’t have forces to defend/attack at night but it is no reason to region lock servers.

in WvW

Phoenix.3416

So recruit some guilds in different time zones. WvW is supposed to be a 24/7 battle.

It’s a bummer that you don’t have forces to defend/attack at night but it is no reason to region lock servers.

If Im on a EU server it should be EU players or timezones close to not so far behind

If what you said was true I would have american servers in my possible server wvw fight list, we are separate for a reason.

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

You are seperate for ping reasons. Nothing else.

WvW is a 24 hour format, if you want to play on an american server you have to deal with cross atlantic pings. Thats all.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Posted by: Chima.5972

Chima.5972

Phoenix its not an exploit by far its an intended game mechanic, if you think you got any issue, go play on the american servers: Stormbluff, Henge of denravi, Jade Quarry, or Terrance something. The top 4 servers, have high EU and Oceanic user base.

I my self is from europe, but play on the american server, because of my guild is split out over the world. All timezones included.

Its bad enough i cant use my EU version of the game, while im in USA for 2 months a time, a year.

in WvW

Posted by: Shibbi Shwing.4689

Shibbi Shwing.4689

Summary:

They played when I was sleeping and that’s not okay! KICK THEM OUT OMG!

Known as the Life Eater, the Soul Render, the Blood Drinker, He Who Thirsts
Shibbi Shwing – King of The Reavers – GM of [RVR] -Isle of Janthir
The Reavers – WvW Guild – www.steamcommunity.com/groups/reaversguild

in WvW

snarky.8935

If Im on a EU server it should be EU players or timezones close to not so far behind

If what you said was true I would have american servers in my possible server wvw fight list, we are separate for a reason.

No, they have stated before they want you to be able to play wherever you want. WvW is a 24/7 function.

Put forth some effort and form an alliance with a few foreign guilds to get a night crew going. All of the larger and more organized WvW servers have done this.

in WvW

Posted by: Artermiz.1834

Artermiz.1834

war happen 24/7 not like your bedtime
Even if the game is regional. big guilds can organised a night raid all night.
and u would be still QQ here saying oo not fair i had to sleep cause my mama is forcing me to sleep while the grown up took down my hardwork.

in WvW

Phoenix.3416

So my guild should unethically move to an US server to take advantage of this poor design by anet?

The reason they are top is probably because they have players from other timezones not player skill which in a competitive environment is a poor addition to a game

Although chima the only thing I can think of to make it fairer would be a region cap on people outside of your region. Then you could still play but you couldn’t have a server thats half Eu and half NA

Ping will effect all of us surely, if they have a bad ping wont they be jumping all over the place making it harder for players to kill them?

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

No, it isnt unethical.

What ethical guideline are you breeching here? I dont see any. WvW is 24 hours. If you want to night cap on an american server go ahead and do so.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Shibbi Shwing.4689

I can only imagine the laughter of the Dark Age of Camelot community at all these WoW players complaining about “nightcapping”

in WvW

Phoenix.3416

Even if the devs intended it to be like this its a really bad design.

Consider this, while youre asleep a guild from another region has taken all of the orbs from the other worlds. You now log online to see this and have to retake your bases back while the enemy team has a huge stat bonus.

The only defense is to move servers and take advantage of this or have other regions send guilds over.

The servers who don’t do this will lose out in the long run and players will leave there servers when really they are doing the reasonable thing.

in WvW

Phoenix.3416

I can only imagine the laughter of the Dark Age of Camelot community at all these WoW players complaining about “nightcapping”

Ive never played wow.

in WvW

Shibbi Shwing.4689

Ive never played wow.

Yet your sense of entitlement rivals some of Azeroth’s finest.

in WvW

Phoenix.3416

Ive never played wow.

Yet your sense of entitlement rivals some of Azeroth’s finest.

I would care less if Orbs didn’t exist/ gave less of a bonus and upgrades didn’t take so long and cost so much for what they are.

Fix those parts and night cap all you want. Otherwise night capping gives a large advantage over servers who don’t have other regional guilds joining them.

in WvW

Artermiz.1834

So my guild should unethically move to an US server to take advantage of this poor design by anet?

The reason they are top is probably because they have players from other timezones not player skill which in a competitive environment is a poor addition to a game

Although chima the only thing I can think of to make it fairer would be a region cap on people outside of your region. Then you could still play but you couldn’t have a server thats half Eu and half NA

Ping will effect all of us surely, if they have a bad ping wont they be jumping all over the place making it harder for players to kill them?

this aint a fps game where ping dont matter alot.
and like u say they in a different timezone, would they still be in WvW when u are in the WvW.
U blaming it on ping on other timezone has a flaw when u are complaining about nightcapping.

in WvW

Phoenix.3416

this aint a fps game where ping dont matter alot.
and like u say they in a different timezone, would they still be in WvW when u are in the WvW.
U blaming it on ping on other timezone has a flaw when u are complaining about nightcapping.

I apologise but I can’t understand what you wrote.

The ping part was to the guy who said players who move region will have a worse ping.

Ping isnt the issue, the orb of power morning bonus to the servers who night capped is.

In Pvp if you had one team with 10 players and the other with 1 over and over for 1/4 of the time would you consider it fair? for such a large game mechanic to be based on a system that allows that to happen for some servers its an issue.
In the long run this will cause an issue with server balance as servers of mixed regions will always beat one region.

The only other fix I can think of is if all servers were mixed all the time or that during “prime times” say midday to midnight for that regions time points are higher which means home region guilds are more important that region jumpers

(edited by Phoenix.3416)

in WvW

Posted by: kefro.9312

kefro.9312

I killed Zaitten and i wana wvwvw now so balance that thing over night or all ppl just tansfere to USA cause there is naturaly balanced 500vs500 24/7…

in WvW

Posted by: Fed.8594

Fed.8594

The PVE Night Warriors strike again! LOL

Any server that wins because of a night crew aren’t pvp’ers. There should be a separate list tracking the real pvp skilled servers.

in WvW

Posted by: Ynot.8397

Ynot.8397

Everyone who used the example that war is 24/7 is silly. In real life you don’t get teleported to the other side of the world when you sleep. Don’t compare the 24/7 aspect of this game to real life. It is a terrible example. Soldiers sleep but get this, when people shoot at them they can wake up! Unless you have some sort of application waking you up every time your forts get taken over, the example fails.
Please stop with that crap.

Ferguson’s Crossing→ SoS→ DR→ EBay

in WvW

Artermiz.1834

The PVE Night Warriors strike again! LOL

Any server that wins because of a night crew aren’t pvp’ers. There should be a separate list tracking the real pvp skilled servers.

there is a thing call Spvp…
so the soo called nightplayer cannot enjoy wvw unless you are awake to do pvp good logic bro.

what is skilled wvw server? a zerg force? coordinated attack?
so a night crew aim to take when u are sleeping aint a coordinated attack?

by your logic. US should have killed osama bin laden during the day when he was awake cause it was not fair to him when he was sleeping.
good logic bro.

in WvW

Phoenix.3416

The awkward moment when a player doesnt know the differences between a real war and wvw…

keep in mind in a real war the soldiers on a battlefield are in the same timezone when they fight usually… if you shoot at a sleeping soldier he wakes up.

Silly real life comparison artermiz :/

in WvW

Posted by: Fed.8594

Fed.8594

Artermiz – just explain to me how bashing down a door and killing an NPC with no opposing players in the vicinity = PVP?

If you haven’t tried to take a keep or fort full of defenders then you aren’t doing PVP, you’re doing PVE.

in WvW

Shibbi Shwing.4689

The awkward moment when a player doesnt know the differences between a real war and wvw…

keep in mind in a real war the soldiers on a battlefield are in the same timezone when they fight usually… if you shoot at a sleeping soldier he wakes up.

Silly real life comparison artermiz :/

Bro, I got news for you.

If you shoot a sleeping soldier, he doesn’t wake up. Can’t even believe this had to be explained.

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

All region locking will do is stop legitimate/honest players from playing on the server they want with their guild/friends.

Everyone else will setup a proxy in the region they want to connect to and connect anyway. A change like this would unfortunately solve nothing.

in WvW

Phoenix.3416

you missed an important word from my sentence “at”

At does not imply hit or killed, it means that someone fired in the direction of the sleeping soldier.

I can’t believe I had to explain what the word at means.

in WvW

Phoenix.3416

All region locking will do is stop legitimate/honest players from playing on the server they want with their guild/friends.

Everyone else will setup a proxy in the region they want to connect to and connect anyway. A change like this would unfortunately solve nothing.

I imagine it would prevent many players doing it if they had to proxy first.

The only two ways I can think of making this fairer for you would be :

1. Limit how many out of region players a server can have to say 10% of the cap per server. This allows you to stay but stops a huge night player zerg from moving onto a out of region server and gives players in that region easier access to a server in there region so they wont lag.

or

2. Increase the value of prime time WvW points depending on the region youre in.
So If youre in europe say 11am- midnight GMT is prime time so between those times what happens on WvW is worth more meaning players who fight during prime time are going to be worth more in the long run meaning day time tactics will be the focus of a server.

or

3. remove Orbs/ nerf them to a none combat bonus

Otherwise coming online to see the other servers 3 orbs they got from a night raid will give youre enemies a huge advantage since they got them while noone was around to defend but now you have to fight an army of upgraded players to get them back

in WvW

Posted by: Massacrul.2016

Massacrul.2016

1. No, this is stupid
2. The same..
3. Nope

Do you even read sometimes what are you writing man? Srsly… Your ideas are ridiculous, and sorry to worry you, but this won’t happen man.

And meh.. as i see people on Underworld always complain about everything.
“We lose cause they are night capping”, “We lose only because we are against 2 fr servers”, “We lose cause they have more money”… srsly. That’s why i had no more hope for this server and moved out.

in WvW

Posted by: squiggit.2357

squiggit.2357

it ruins WvW for legit players

So suddenly we’re not “legit players” because we have a different sleep schedule than you?

in WvW

Posted by: SteelJelly.3217

SteelJelly.3217

it ruins WvW for legit players

So suddenly we’re not “legit players” because we have a different sleep schedule than you?

Nope we aren’t Legit Players it seems. ?_?

in WvW

Posted by: Aedgyth.4790

Aedgyth.4790

The developers at ArenaNet have said that W3 is supposed to be a continual never ending 24/7 warzone – if you do not want to be part of that then the exit is —-——->

Calling players, whole guilds and servers, exploiters, unethical etc is not going to win you any friends. If you want to play competitively then you will need to find allies and make sure you have 24 hour coverage on your server. If you are just playing for fun, then it should not even be an issue for you.

ArenaNet published charts of playtimes/queues – look at it, find a server with good coverage that needs a few more players at the time you play and your problem is solved – yes, I know it takes more effort than complaining – but one will reward you and make the game more rewarding – the other is just an exercise in futility.

in WvW

Phoenix.3416

If a French (FR) server is 100% German players is it really a French server?

I didn’t realise I had to appeal to everyone all the time. to get 24 hour coverage on a EU server US players will have to move into the server first.

Most likely this wont happen unless they get a benefit for doing so, most players who care so much about wvw will move to the server that wins all the time anyway ignoring the rest.

No matter what you say Anet has to do something to reduce the player region gaps, thats not a debate.

Either people have to move onto mixed servers giving everyone the same advantages or anet has to do something along the lines of 1 of those 3 suggestions mentioned earlier.

Otherwise the servers will become even more unbalanced and lower servers will lose all population and become ghost servers.

Also underworld are winning , so stop the whole “omgz underworld always complain” rubbish.

I like balanced competitive gameplay, its obvious night capping works for some servers and others cant do it so theres a hole that needs fixing if wvw is going to be competitive without unfair. Its bad enough people move to a new server if there world loses.

in WvW

snarky.8935

I’m really excited to see you keep bumping this thread.

in WvW

Phoenix.3416

I simply reply to people who post. you just bumped the thread by posting about me bumping the thread 0_o

in WvW

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

You stopped defending something, the enemy team took it. End of story.

It wasn’t even necessarily US players. A guild from your time zone could have seen they were getting nowhere and decided to log off, get an early night then wake up at 2am so they could steamroll over your stuff.

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

in WvW

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

i’d like to hear the OP’s views on his own server’s nightcapping. or doesn’t that count?

in WvW

Posted by: MasterofKhaos.8903

MasterofKhaos.8903

Some of the guilds hear have been anticipating launch for a year or more, and have built alliances recruiting guilds worldwide. Honestly you can’t blame them for being better prepared then you. End of story.

Sincerely: Don’t spend money on upgrades you can’t hold. You don’t need an oceanic guild. Have server night crews set up. 5-10 man teams dedicated to holding keeps in each map. Have the NA players help set up defensive siege before they log. I’ve said too much already. Good luck.

MasterofKhaos
WvW Leader and Co-leader of [TBH]
Co-Founder of Northern Shiverpeaks Council [NSC]

in WvW

Posted by: aleksandar.5642

aleksandar.5642

We all sit there upgrading our towers and keeps for hours, around 5 hours later at about 5am my guilds Redwater tower is now missing two personal upgrades and most of the alliance has now logged off since we haven’t seen a single enemy for 3 hours now.
Then around 40 whiteside ridge players come out of nowhere and steamroll the entire borderlands and destroy all of the upgraded walls and buildings easily, meaning those 5 hours of waiting, guarding and upgrading was ruined in a few minutes without actually having to do any real fighting.

this is what exactly happened to RIng of Fire server, but it was not Whiteside ridge, it was night shift from Underword, it happens every night scince the new mach up

in WvW

Posted by: anathemawhite.6879

anathemawhite.6879

If a French (FR)

No matter what you say Anet has to do something to reduce the player region gaps, thats not a debate.

Limiting server transfer is great but region lock? No.
Because I live in Oceanic region I can’t join WvW? No, just no.
And taking away other people’s right to play because you want to sleep?

Misfortune falls upon us

in WvW

Posted by: Arasuki.6094

Arasuki.6094

so what about me then? i live in australia. what happens to me and my 60 dollars. i’d love to see you argue and get a legitimate point across.

[DU]Arasuki – Ranger
Down Under – Stormbluff Isle

in WvW

Posted by: mystaquetz.1746

mystaquetz.1746

nysta.6713

i’d like to hear the OP’s views on his own server’s nightcapping. or doesn’t that count?

I thought the exact same thing.

It would seem, if the other guys are on a different schedule than yourself… that would also grant YOU an advantage when THEY aren’t on.

In fact, the OP said exactly that. His side was whoopin’ and a’ whompin’ to lead things off after the reset against few enemies. He actually complained about it, that the whipping was so easy that the other guys “quit” and left.

LOL

Cell Two
The Assassin’s Clan (TAC)
Ebay

in WvW

Posted by: Fugly.5287

Fugly.5287

Lack of region locking was bad design on arenanet’s part. Most players suffer because of it, except for the few who get to take advantage. I should not have to play on or against players in Europe, Asia, or Australia.

If WvW matches were 6 or less hours in length, only then would it be acceptable.