Region locking is needed to keep WvW enjoyable.

in WvW

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

Not an exploit. Make friends outside your time zone, lol.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

in WvW

Posted by: Xavos.9357

Xavos.9357

I would say, start implementing server jumping limits already about once a week and all is well

Xavos – Guardian
Rasz Algethi – Hunter
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Samfisher.7942

Samfisher.7942

I would say, start implementing server jumping limits already about once a week and all is well

Remove it completely or charge an obscene amount. FREE transfers are still happening, I’m not sure what ANet is thinking..

Ezendor [SYN] – Synapse, Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: Shintai.5618

Shintai.5618

Region locking wont solve anything. You just have unemployed people, students, single or people working in differnt times that 9 to 17 that you then complain about.

in WvW

Posted by: Gibbonici.9437

Gibbonici.9437

@OP

I’m pretty active in Whiteside WvW and as far as I know we don’t have much of a night guard. I think what you saw was a weekend all-nighter.

If you want proof, check out the maps this morning (Monday). We’re outmanned and outplayed most of the time in this match, but this weekend we spent loads of time and gold securing places and sapping your supply, all so we could mount those attacks on SM on Sunday evening and get set up for the week. This morning, despite having locked down our vital towers and camps by midnight Sunday, we’ve lost everything bar a few places in our borderlands. It all happened overnight.

Generally speaking, Underworld is way, way ahead of Whiteside and you will be for the whole match. We know we’re not going win this round, and I think we’ve pretty much reconciled ourselves with the fact that we’re going to be last, but we’re using it as a learning experience. We had it easy last week, holding SM and dominating lower-pop servers for all of it so it’s a welcome, if slightly painful opportunity to pick up some of the strategies we didn’t need in the last round.

Anyway, region locking would be a good thing. It’s a no-brainer really.

Whiteside Ridge [JG] [PiP]
Yetas – Human Ranger
Ramonn Yetas – Human Rifle Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: aleksandar.5642

aleksandar.5642

Region lock or , dunno if it’s posible if anet could make 2 world 1 from eu and 1 from us to fight on same side,

in WvW

Posted by: Reese.4183

Reese.4183

No region locking, just drastically reduce the amounts of points gained and the upgrades available for forts at server zone nightime. And for the people who are going to complain “Do i deserve to have a lesser impact on world just because i live in another timezone or because i play at night ?”, yes, you definitely do, because all you do is fighting against NPCs, and zerging empty forts in PVE mode.

in WvW

Posted by: Samfisher.7942

Samfisher.7942

No region locking, just drastically reduce the amounts of points gained and the upgrades available for forts at server zone nightime. And for the people who are going to complain “Do i deserve to have a lesser impact on world just because i live in another timezone or because i play at night ?”, yes, you definitely do, because all you do is fighting against NPCs, and zerging empty forts in PVE mode.

Come to HoD and see how many empty forts you find ^^

Ezendor [SYN] – Synapse, Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: Paranoid.9542

Paranoid.9542

Come to HoD and see how many empty forts you find ^^

I can confirm this V_V

- ET WvWer

in WvW

Posted by: youniverse.2190

youniverse.2190

As soon as reset happened our Underworld guild alliance descended onto our home borderlands and within 10 minutes we had it locked down. Within 30 minutes the other teams had given up and moved to other servers since we reinforced any area that was attacked instantly and were all on voice coms.

We all sit there upgrading our towers and keeps for hours, around 5 hours later at about 5am my guilds Redwater tower is now missing two personal upgrades and most of the alliance has now logged off since we haven’t seen a single enemy for 3 hours now.
Then around 40 whiteside ridge players come out of nowhere and steamroll the entire borderlands and destroy all of the upgraded walls and buildings easily, meaning those 5 hours of waiting, guarding and upgrading was ruined in a few minutes without actually having to do any real fighting.

Not really sure what you complain about, since the reset happened at 2 am CET, which is pretty much night time in most of Europe. So your server was actually at an advantage by having more people on at night, hence you were able to nightcap the map and had about 5 hours to upgrade everything before the other servers woke up (around 7 am CET) at took some of the towers back.

I am on Whiteside and when I checked the stats in the the Morning, just before 8 am CET, Underworld still had all 3 orbs and a large enough lead that will last for the rest of the week. Anyway, as Gibbonici mentioned this before me, we know that we have no chance against the other two servers, but hearing someone from the leading server complain that some of us had the nerve to recap a few points in the morning, is just odd.

No hard feeling though, just had to mention it. Now as far as the region lock goes, not really sure it is the best idea. I would be much happier for different reset times for different regions, so the EU ones won’t actually happen at night.

(edited by youniverse.2190)

in WvW

Posted by: Phara Miu.2816

Phara Miu.2816

So recruit some guilds in different time zones. WvW is supposed to be a 24/7 battle.

It’s a bummer that you don’t have forces to defend/attack at night but it is no reason to region lock servers.

If Im on a EU server it should be EU players or timezones close to not so far behind

If what you said was true I would have american servers in my possible server wvw fight list, we are separate for a reason.

And then you have people who work at daytime and play late night…whats the diffrence ?
We would end up making these posts again.

There is 1 sollution and thats getting 24/7 WvW going, recruit guilds / players from diffrent time zone’s and you have 24/7 defence / offence.

Or do like i did and transfer over to USA like any serious WvW player does, Europe is not intersting enough to get 24/7 WvW going.

So you have options availeble i suggest you think about those and make a decision on what you want.
Swallow the night cappers or move to a server that is recruiting Europe players, your choice

in WvW

Posted by: ConterK.3972

ConterK.3972

How can you know if they’r from another time zone anyways??
you just say that because they’r not fighting at the times you prefer them to fight??? wtf!!

they could just be waiting until all of you guys go to sleep and go to WvW when ther’s no enemies to defend the stuff!
is a tactic, not an exploit!

Or they can just be people from the US that sleeps during the day and play during the night, u cant really tell!!

Solution: Play more maybe? change your whole life schedule to win in a game?
have you consider that? no?
well guess your enemy did, now they cant do that because you dont like it? lol

They might as well ask you to play all night with them, cant they?

How you think you got all that stuff in the first place? if they are actually all from EU or w/e, they will have people sleeping while u’r rading their stuff, just as you are sleeping while they take them back, this is pretty much a game of Who sacrifices the most of their RL time to win it, lol

i used to play a game with some sort of warfare like this, but you had to defend relics (like the orbs) that gave buffs to your server, and i remember our alliance used to spend most of the night awake just scouting/spying and defending our relics from the possible enemies, since we had some people from asia and EU on the other servers, and it was just like that,
we took during the day, they took during the night and weekends was pretty much all night fighting!

in WvW

Posted by: Revenant.2691

Revenant.2691

Not living in ’Merica… exploit o.O

in WvW

Gibbonici.9437

Not living in ’Merica… exploit o.O

Whiteside Ridge and Underworld are EU servers.

Anyway, there are some interesting views in this thread. Taken under advisement.

Yetas – Human Ranger

in WvW

Posted by: DymondHed.9026

DymondHed.9026

i see nothing wrong with exploiting a game. if the developers want to change it, let them, but until they do, it’s an available aspect of the game.

i have too many hours logged >_>

in WvW

Posted by: Shintai.5618

Shintai.5618

Basicly the OP asks for the server to be only up between 18 and 22 when most people can play. We dont want to have a minor population somewhere!

in WvW

Gibbonici.9437

Basicly the OP asks for the server to be only up between 18 and 22 when most people can play. We dont want to have a minor population somewhere!

Don’t be daft, he’s asking for nothing of the sort.

Yetas – Human Ranger

in WvW

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

First world problem at its finest. If you don’t understand just how stupid what you’re suggesting is, then nothing is going to reach over.

What you should be upset about? The snow-balling mechanics and people flying. Guess what, all this does is give you more objectives to capture when your day begins. In my last match up, Zerg Desert would have pretty much all the territories come late night. But guess what, when the numbers are even? Blackgate can actually be the dominant one in terms of how much territory it controls. The fact that they only lead in numbers because of numbers and not actual skill fills me with pride.

Perhaps you should direct some of this angst in another direction.

in WvW

Posted by: defrule.7236

defrule.7236

You need to understand that it isn’t entirely a region issue. I just have to stay one hour later than you and the map is mine.

Even within Eu servers there are differences in when activity dies.

in WvW

Posted by: Cyvil.1605

Cyvil.1605

I don’t understand why “Night Capping” doesn’t work both ways. If the real problem comes from players in other time zones, doesn’t that mean that there is a period where they are not active? Unless we are talking bots, I assume that their team has to sleep, just like yours.

It is safe to say that I don’t understand all of this, but I don’t see what advantage one server has, that is not available to another.

in WvW

Posted by: Hex.6489

Hex.6489

Region locking is not the solution, it just prevents friends from different timezones playing on the same server, which would suck.

in WvW

Posted by: Ashanae.9362

Ashanae.9362

You know you have very diffrent timezones in world?

GMT – 14 —- GMT + 14 even in USA its diffrence between one coast and another, now tell me HOW you will region lock pople from diffrent timezones to be “fair”?

I’m always against ideas like this its only divide whole game community, you always have solutions, you can move to one of USA servers or you can try recruit some other timezone guilds/pople to your server.

in WvW

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

To the people saying recruit people from different time zones, do you realize those player pools are limited? The reason there isn’t an oceanic server is due to their not being being enough oceanic players to warrant specific servers for them. Then there is the fact that players want to play with other people when they get on, not a ghost town. That means the oceanic players will congregate together on a few servers. How in the world do you convince players to transfer to your server because no one is online?

The ship has sailed there. If your server doesn’t have an oceanic presence now, it most likely never will. So the people telling others to just recruit more are basically saying that there is absolutely nothing they can do. That does not sound like a solution to me.

NA servers should have their WvW determined in the NA prime time. The EU servers should be determined by the EU primetime. Oceanic players should get their own server or two, as well as any other large populations out there that are forced to play on EU/NA. An easy solution is to just simply weight the point gain by the player populations at that time. If prime time is 100%, then 5 am when only 5% of the population is on it should only reward 5% of the points. But this is just a bandaid, in reality the scoring system needs a complete rework to award points based on the difficulty of a capture. If a keep is well defended and takes 10 hours of non-stop combat to finally capture, then it should be worth far more than a completely undefended keep at 4am.

in WvW

Ashanae.9362

Hey mister first you say there is not enough Oceanic players to make oceanic server and then you say they should get one or two of them.

And as i say there is even diffrent time zone for both coast of USA so you will make them own servers too and divide one country because they got diffrent “primetimes”?

What about people who play in diffrent times as the rest? You will force them to play in those hours on its own country server even if its ghost town then?

That what you propose i can hardly call “easy solution”.

in WvW

Posted by: Rhyis.7058

Rhyis.7058

Welcome to RvR.

in WvW

Gibbonici.9437

@OP

If you have any lingering doubts about Whiteside’s reliance on night-cappers, check the map this morning. We’ve got nothing again, it’s all blue.

We’re last, we get wiped out every night, but it didn’t stop us taking a fully upgraded SM off you Underworld guys during prime time yesterday, even though we knew we couldn’t hold it against Ring of Fire.

Yetas – Human Ranger

in WvW

Posted by: Konrad Curze.5130

Konrad Curze.5130

ANet should just do away with the EU/US/Asia server shenanigans

for what is worth, just pair servers from all zones in the matchups….

in WvW

Ashanae.9362

They should make only international servers no EU/US/Asia ones.

in WvW

Posted by: Carthias.7486

Carthias.7486

I don’t understand why “Night Capping” doesn’t work both ways. If the real problem comes from players in other time zones, doesn’t that mean that there is a period where they are not active? Unless we are talking bots, I assume that their team has to sleep, just like yours.

It is safe to say that I don’t understand all of this, but I don’t see what advantage one server has, that is not available to another.

the problem right now is that servers that were successful either had pre-planned alliances or just by luck of the draw had EU, US, australian or french canadian players whose prime time is typically during the “down-time” of a particular server. Now normally that wouldn’t be a big deal, the rankings would rise and fall and things would work out. However with free transfers being available like they were and still are MANY players jumped ship on their servers to join the very successful ones which also meant that those night-time players who were playing on servers outside of their region were also more tempted to join these large servers for two reasons; one being to win and the second to play on a server with a larger number of players playing during your time.

Right now the servers that have that night-time playerbase are telling the low pop servers or servers that suffer from no night crew or a small night crew compared to theirs to recruit but even if you do try to recruit what is more attractive

1) A server that has no/or rarely has a Queue for wvwvw but routinely loses and gets shut out after the first or second night due to the entire map being taken over and almost no players who will play during your prime time

or

2)A server that is already established as a dominant wvwvw player who has won match-ups in the past and is currently winning by a large margin. There are many players who play during your time as a result, there are long Queues around the clock.

Most players will pick option number 2 because between waiting 30 min-1 hour and getting in to a game where your team is dominating versus instantly getting into a game where the only objective your server has is a camp and is trailing by 40,000 points is awful. No one wants to play that kind of match-up. I don’t agree with a region lock but arena-net really really messed up with free server transfers, no a one-day or longer cooldown doesn’t stop the mass population shift to high pop servers.

in WvW

Posted by: Gomly.6128

Gomly.6128

@Gibbonici.

I’ve been watching you Whiteside lot since our match up started. You were underdogs going in and I actually wanted you to do well. I don’t like “stomping matches” I like a good fight, it makes it fun for all concerned.

The past couple of days has baffled me though.

You had, more or less, nothing on any of the maps … just setting the scene for you here.

We had Dreaming Bay on your borderlands.

Now we were fighting the entire RoF team at Greenbriar and for 2 days running you’ve spent hours upon hours assaulting Dreaming when the entire right side of your map (which was blue) was undefended.

It took you 3 hours of assaulting Dreaming yesterday to take it and in that time you lost everything else to RoF.

In that time you could have re-capped half your map before going for Dreaming. I’m not trying to put you guys down but from a tactical perspective it makes no sense.

Last night we spent a large chunk of time fighting RoF around SM in EBG. We know you had a team in there we’d just pushed them back from Wildcreek. Now here’s the baffling part, during our prolonged attack on RoF your guys did nothing. Our section of the map and RoF’s was practically up for grabs.

I know you are behind on the points side of things and I know you are a low pop server and don’t have our or RoF’s numbers but you guys need to take advantage of prolonged fights between us and RoF. You could have had quite a few more points on the board.

But I do like you guys. You don’t give up when a lot of folk would have done and you pushed us hard at Dreaming and SM in the fights i’ve been in with your lot. You do have a lot of decent players. Once the numbers stabalise and you organise a bit more I think you will do quite well.

And a quick note to RoF. The last couple of times we’ve gone up against you guys has been, and I don’t mean to sound harsh, a cake walk for us.

This time you have seriously upped your game a hell of a lot. Quite a few people on our server saw you guys at the start after reset and expected an easy match up, me included.

I just want to take the time to thank you for proving us wrong. I also want to thank you for the fights we’ve had. It’s been a pretty good few days in WvW for me at least. I’ve really enjoyed this match up so far. If it wasn’t for a few guilds and a few decent commanders on our part I think the points would have been a lot closer, maybe the other way round to what they have been.

And this is what brings me to the OP.

Now i’m in a guild thats part of the alliance that claimed our borderlands at reset. I ran around like a numpty while things were upgrading and helped get things going.

Do I think the “night capping” is a problem?

Not at all. Not everyone has the same prime time and, in a GW2 sense, it’s war. You take any advantage you can get.

We’ve done the same thing to RoF 2 days on the trot when they held a lot of territory.

Would be a bit hypocritical of me to call others when i’ve stayed up until the early hours to take some objectives from RoF and Whiteside.

Sorry for the long winded post….

(edited by Gomly.6128)

in WvW

Posted by: Keldrath.4735

Keldrath.4735

You sound like someone who should just learn to play for fun and stop caring about the score so much. Your ideas are bad, region locking is bad. It’s not fair to the players.

80 Necromancer/Guardian/Mesmer
Isle of Janthir
Super Ultra Mega Awesome [SUMA]

in WvW

Posted by: Nicholai.5169

Nicholai.5169

Region locking does not prevent people with a different sleep schedule playing, as they are from the correct region.

Region locking does have its issues, but that is not one of them. Please only use valid counter arguments.

Cattlebruiser of SHC

in WvW

Posted by: Kog.6710

Kog.6710

give us oceanic servers and we’ll stay off yours. You should be complaining about that, not crying for living in a differnt time zone.

Anyway I dont know what anet is doing allowing free transfers with only a day cooldown, i was shocked to find that out

in WvW

Ashanae.9362

""

Region locking does not prevent people with a different sleep schedule playing, as they are from the correct region.

Region locking does have its issues, but that is not one of them. Please only use valid counter arguments.""

No it will force people with diffrent shedules to play on ghost servers during theirs own prime time, but hey, they still can play, right?

in WvW

Posted by: Temper.7265

Temper.7265

Hi,my name is Temper.I live in Australia and I am an exploiter of WvW by night capping.

Happy ? Is that what you would like to hear OP ?

I could add something constructive as I have in the past,but it would most likely be ignored in favor of region locking and community segregation.

in WvW

Posted by: Deathcarlyle.6075

Deathcarlyle.6075

Region locking isn’t a good idea the face that ur server needs to be alert 24/7 is what i honestly love about WvW, and in todays times there no reason to not have players on 24/7 i personally work Nights i’m online 3 days a week when the EU players are i’m sure there are many that have lives like this. And plaus ether way it evens out they Night cap u so guess what you get to do the next day. Night cap them. Simply stop finding reason to change something not broken

in WvW

Gibbonici.9437

@Gomly

Yeah, we don’t have a lot of coordination between the different maps at the moment, mostly because a lot of the time we’re flying on the seat of our pants in this match. It doesn’t take much to put us on the backfoot due to population etc, but it’s all good experience.

We know we’ve got a long way to go and have a lot of lessons to learn, but I’m proud of the progress we’re making. We’re tougher, more organised and (dare I say it) more bloody minded than we were a week ago, and if we keep it up and backfill our weak spots I reckon we’ll be a decent little server going forward.

We’re always going to struggle for numbers I think but we’ve got spirit and guts, and that’s worth more than points.

Yetas – Human Ranger