Reliable way to get guildinto EOTM?

in WvW

Posted by: Aurust.8961

Aurust.8961

Is there a reliable way to get your guild into the same edge of the mists map based on what we know of the current mechanics?

Master- [DKLT] The Darkness and The Light
JQ WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Actually have heard the beta started on this map. Would love to hear from folks about what they are seeing/thinking since there’s no NDA.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

I think I read parties are guranteed to end on the same map. Maybe there is the same possibility to join party members map as for overflow maps, such that you can use the usual taxi technique as for normal overflow maps.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Aurust.8961

I think I read parties are guranteed to end on the same map. Maybe there is the same possibility to join party members map as for overflow maps, such that you can use the usual taxi technique as for normal overflow maps.

You mean right click > Join same overflow map?

JQ WvW

in WvW

Posted by: flickky.2634

flickky.2634

As far as I’m aware, you will always attempt to get in to your server’s ‘Edge of the Mists’ map first before getting in to an overflow, which should make it a lot easier for parties.

However after this I assume it’s the same mechanic of parties ending up in the same overflow. If not you should just be able to right click on them and join in the Edge of the Mists.

Flickky / Landsplash
[TwitchTV] [Twitter]
Oceanic Leader of [KnT] Knights of the Temple ~ Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

Actually have heard the beta started on this map. Would love to hear from folks about what they are seeing/thinking since there’s no NDA.

it’s alpha beta will come in the future. To my knowledge, there is not a sure method to get all the people in your guild into the same map, because if the map hits the limit it will create a new instance of itself.

The new map is HUUUUUGE, extremely beautiful, has a lot of new interesting mechanics, has a very fast paced combat and is more rewarding for the use of strategy rather than zerging.

While playing there, you continue to progress normally (levels, WXP, ranks ecc) and can collect sieges and supplies.

Feel free to ask any questions

some pics from yesterday’s test

Attachments:

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Oh hey thanks for the screen shots! It does look very beautiful.

You guys in all the guilds that got accepted need to do all of us a favour tho .. pick a time and date and all of you zone into the map at the same time and see how the mechanics work — whether there’s lag, etc … The more crammed onto map the better to stress the system and look for potential pitfalls — you play WvW, so you know what to look for.

More pix guys! Bring em on!

in WvW

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

That does look amazing.

It’ll probably be fine if it worked like PvE overflows – use parties to join correct overflows until a hard map cap. Might be an issue at the start when everyone is trying to get in but WvW populations aren’t THAT big so it shouldn’t be a big problem in the long run.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

I’m still curious as to whether the overflow map will mix you in with other servers like pve overflow, or if it’ll make you the one guy in overflow facing a big epic mob of angry red guys.

The former could be amusing, especially if you wind up facing your own team. The latter could give some an idea of what it’s like on the lower tier servers

in WvW

Grevender.9235

You guys in all the guilds that got accepted need to do all of us a favour tho .. pick a time and date and all of you zone into the map at the same time and see how the mechanics work — whether there’s lag, etc … The more crammed onto map the better to stress the system and look for potential pitfalls — you play WvW, so you know what to look for.

we already did that!
the test is exactly a simulation of what would happen when three full servers clashes against each other.
This in fact has an almost perfectly balanced matchup, in which no server had a clear advantage of any kind (strategical, logistical ecc) and this lead to finishing the test session with an extremely close points score (and I really mean it).

Lag: it’s very complex to talk about this without contextualizing accurately. The map does not favor zerging, therefore it’s unlikely to be able to concentrate hundreds of players in the same exact place. My personal experience was very good for what concerns framerate: I don’t know if programmers are already using some new kind of code for EOTM, but I registered twice as much fps in open world than the ones I get in the normal WvW maps (on average, I was constantly running around with 150fps with full details, with 330fps top in lobby -which should not taken into account because it is incomplete and has not many polygons yet- and a minimum of 40fps in the worst case with a very rare zerg fight).
Curiously, I have registered a significant framerate drop near a Champion Troll (yo dawg, I heard you like trolling… -,-’ ) and that may depends on many things: that zone has a lot of particles effects and maybe there is a very high number of polygons right in that spot.
Skill lag still present ’tho, when number of players increases (I easily notice that, as I play an Elementalist which heavily relies on fast combos/attunements switch).

I asked my guildies to chime in and post more pictures as you requested, and can also anticipate that we are preparing a weekly video commentary to try to help everyone know as much as possible about EOTM.

as usual, if you have questions feel free to ask

in WvW

Grevender.9235

That does look amazing.

It’ll probably be fine if it worked like PvE overflows – use parties to join correct overflows until a hard map cap. Might be an issue at the start when everyone is trying to get in but WvW populations aren’t THAT big so it shouldn’t be a big problem in the long run.

we didn’t had the chance to test this because the population is perfectly calibrated to be even for all three servers, but to my knowledge the mechanic is the same as PvE overflows

in WvW

Grevender.9235

I’m still curious as to whether the overflow map will mix you in with other servers like pve overflow

I think developers are still thinking about this aspect, but so far this is the favourite option

in WvW

Posted by: Zarenda Mal.1364

Zarenda Mal.1364

One of the techniques discussed is that the overflow maps might be cross-server, but green would be with green, red with red, and blue with blue.

That would avoid either a map empty of enemies if you are the dominant server and the other two are are not as numerous, or in the other case, if you are from a low pop server and decide to go to EotM only to find you are practically alone on your side facing all the overflow mobs from the larger pop servers.

The thought was that by mixing all servers of same color on the maps, that they would fill in a more proportionate manner.

This is still early days and we can’t just log in when we want, currently we can only log in during scheduled testing phases, so it is not possible to attempt the test mentioned earlier.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

I’d actually be pretty happy with a FCFS principle — just filling the maps as the queues come in, regardless of server. EoTM doesn’t count toward your server’s overall score, so it doesn’t really matter who’s fighting whom on the map.

in WvW

Aurust.8961

I wonder if EOTM will kill wvw. I know ALOT of guilds are drooling over just running around as a group fighting other guild groups without all the blobbing. Might make the real wvw an empty place.

JQ WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Amber.8193

Amber.8193

Well I have to admit, EOTM is heaven for roamers and the perfect place for people looking for small scale fights (and the view is amazing!).
Blob vs blob is quite tough as the map isn’t really designed for this (easy to fear/knock down half a group out of the map :p)
I think also they are working on mechanics for small groups to defend against bigger ones: possibilities to destroy some bridges and cut the way to keep ; debuffs on invaders (for example Hypotermia in Artic area that chills ennemies, the more you make your way into the area, the stronger it gets); buffs in your home corner etc.

It was only the first test tho, so it’s just my ‘’first impression’’ opinion, will give more details when I’ll see and test moaar!
I’ll take loads of screenshots for you guys !

And yeah, if you have questions, go ahead we’ll try to answer as best as possible

in WvW

Posted by: Helly.2597

Helly.2597

Based on what I gathered from asking Grouch this same question (though I might be misremembering and if I am I do apologize Grouch), he mentioned the ability to change overflows to where your other parties members were and that he didn’t see any reason why one would have trouble getting one’s guild into a single overflow. So I’d believe based off that that there is a reliable way to get into the EOTM with the people you want to be in it with.

That being said, last I heard there hadn’t been a decision made about whether or not to allow for cross server EOTM overflows. So if there was an overflow it would only have players from the matchup you are in, as it currently stands. This might have changed, but I haven’t heard anything about it (if you have please enlighten me).

People call me Hobo.
Violent Tendency [vT]
Ferguson’s Crossing Roamer

in WvW

Grevender.9235

I wonder if EOTM will kill wvw. I know ALOT of guilds are drooling over just running around as a group fighting other guild groups without all the blobbing. Might make the real wvw an empty place.

well… that probability is being considered. I am a roamer, prefer small scale rather than zerging and I feel way more intrigued by EOTM than regular maps.
I am sure ’tho that devs are well aware of this and will upgrade the mechanics of the “core maps” to match/surpass EOTM in the future.

since some of you requested more pics, some guildies want to contribute with these (in one picture is featured a super secret A.Net dev…..)

Attachments:

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Oh gosh that looks like so much fun, I’m so jealous

Thanks so much for the ongoing screenshots!

in WvW

Posted by: Darius Glazkov.9750

Darius Glazkov.9750

there is no way currently and i don’t forsee any possible way of doing so. right clicking in wvw on players is still disabled so you can’t join on similar to how you can in pve.

unless the development team adds some way to try to get guildies/party mates into the same map, it’s not happening. sorry if thats not the answer you were looking for.

Rékka
Second Law [Scnd]

in WvW

Grevender.9235

more pics and info

- the bridge on the first pic can be blown to cut enemies reinforcements, but can also be upgraded to make it tougher

- we really really really want to be able to pilot that aircraft (but just know that in the Desert Region, if you capture an objective called “airport” you can actually call for an airstrike against your enemies….)

- the flaming comets in the third picture are players (me and guildies in this case) that successfully captured an objective called “Altar” located in the Jungle Region: when you capture it, you can ask for a FIVE minutes buffs that makes you completely invulnerable to damage and conditions AND boost your movement speeds by 50%.
You are not immune from falling damage ’tho (sadly)

Attachments:

in WvW

Jayne.9251

O.o

Those last two sound way too OP.

in WvW

Grevender.9235

they surprisingly revealed to be quite balanced instead!
The Desert is very big and reaching enemy objectives is painful because you have to run a lot: this mechanic helps you a bit, making defeat less frustrating.

The airstrike does not massive damage and is more a disturbance than a real threat (I would honestly boost it a little, but I understand why devs are being cautious) and also requires to be unlocked conquering the Airport.

moar pics for you to enjoy:

the pink bell! Who owns the Arctic region, can ring it and summon spirit guardians.

in the second pic you can see a worm hole: those holes can be used to travel very fast in distant parts of the map.

in the third pic: players queue for talking with the leveling/gear NPC

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

the map looks terrible. also many recycled textured and models you already find in other areas of the game

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Well it’s natural that better game mode will surpass old one. No point start to try to make it worse so people would stay in old maps and be bored. Just make it so that parties and guilds get same overflow (maybe max 20 or 30 players) and overflows are shared between all servers. Anet should remember that new games are coming and those have large scale PvP too.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Grevender.9235

the map looks terrible. also many recycled textured and models you already find in other areas of the game

it’s just an Alpha version, it has not to be considered a finished product!