Remove ability to travel to way points whilst alive in World vs World.

in WvW

Posted by: kingkio.8162

kingkio.8162

I think they should remove the ability to teleport to your start waypoint whilst in World Vs World, it is abused constantly by weak, cowardly player’s playing classes with access to haste, invisibility and teleports. During my time solo pvping around the borderland’s, I will come across many of these player’s who fall to the might of The Great Giganto and his magical purple sword. However, every so often my victim’s will try to escape, using their speed advantage to keep out of my staff’s reach then instantly teleporting to their start waypoint.

I suggest either of the following changes to be made:

Remove the ability to teleport to any waypoint in World vs World unless dead.
or
Add a 5 minute cooldown after combat before you can teleport to a waypoint.
or
Make teleporting to a waypoint in WvW a charged skill, say 10-20 seconds where you cannot move or it will break the cast.

in WvW

Posted by: Hix.8925

Hix.8925

A 200v200v200 map definitely needs to be balanced around 1v1 encounters.

in WvW

Posted by: Slyther.1297

Slyther.1297

If I’m off solo or with a small group I’ll generally stick around for fair (Or mostly fair) fights, but if I’ve got five people chasing me I’m not sticking around for the repair bill for a fight I know I won’t get more than a few attacks off with, and that’s assuming I don’t get stunlocked.

Sorry you didn’t get your free kill.

I play a warrior by the way, so generally it’s difficult for me to run away if engaged as all I have is swiftness. If I know I can’t escape I turn around and go down swinging, but if I manage to run away from a zerg of players then I by all means deserve to save that two silver bill.

in WvW

Posted by: Haiku.2690

Haiku.2690

Do you know what waypoints cost? No one would buy them if you added that on top of them being so easy to contest if you are smart enough to do so regularly.

If you want fair solo encounters, play a roamer in sPvP instead.

in WvW

Posted by: Thagyr.4136

Thagyr.4136

I consider having an enemy port back home a victory as it means they will have to run out again to form up with the zerg, and they won’t be harassing supply lines.

in WvW

kingkio.8162

It doesn’t just apply to 1vs1, rather than respond with a sarcastic reply why don’t you actually contribute to the thread?

two equal armies of 200 players versus 200 players, out in the middle of nowhere. one team loses a lot of casualties and end up retreating at 100 player’s, they all get out of range and atleast 75 of them manage to travel back, for free may i add, to the waypoint.

in WvW

kingkio.8162

Do you know what waypoints cost? No one would buy them if you added that on top of them being so easy to contest if you are smart enough to do so regularly.

If you want fair solo encounters, play a roamer in sPvP instead.

It is free to travel to way point’s in world vs world, if you are uneducated on the manner then do not veil your opinion as fact.

in WvW

kingkio.8162

If I’m off solo or with a small group I’ll generally stick around for fair (Or mostly fair) fights, but if I’ve got five people chasing me I’m not sticking around for the repair bill for a fight I know I won’t get more than a few attacks off with, and that’s assuming I don’t get stunlocked.

Sorry you didn’t get your free kill.

I play a warrior by the way, so generally it’s difficult for me to run away if engaged as all I have is swiftness. If I know I can’t escape I turn around and go down swinging, but if I manage to run away from a zerg of players then I by all means deserve to save that two silver bill.

Tell me what the point of pvp is if there is no risk, There need’s to be a risk versus reward factor, if you win, you get token’s if you lose you get a repair bill. It should not be a case of whoever can use their spell’s to escape long enough to teleport back to a waypoint for free. If you get into a situation where you are outnumbered 5-1 then that’s the situation you have put yourself in by straying past the front lines or maintaining poor situational awareness.

You also seem to suggest that I am upset over not killing 1 player who teleported to the waypoint, this is not the case, in fact I am usually in WvWvW every evening and generally run around solo if my server is doing it’s usual mindless zerging, i get many kill’s however I also get many people abusing the waypoint’s to escape from what would have been a guaranteed kill once my blink came out of cooldown.

in WvW

Posted by: wdspeck.8723

wdspeck.8723

It doesn’t just apply to 1vs1, rather than respond with a sarcastic reply why don’t you actually contribute to the thread?

two equal armies of 200 players versus 200 players, out in the middle of nowhere. one team loses a lot of casualties and end up retreating at 100 player’s, they all get out of range and atleast 75 of them manage to travel back, for free may i add, to the waypoint.

That seems like a valid tactic to me. Retreating, and teleporting to a spot where everyone can rally up and regroup? Besides, it’s not like they aren’t teleporting exactly where they’d be if they had died.

Westleyy – Ranger Lanan – Thief
Northern Shiverpeaks
Argonauts of Tyria

in WvW

Posted by: draculthemad.6273

draculthemad.6273

You can’t waypoint if you are in combat.

If you can’t keep them in combat, you aren’t really fighting them anyways.

in WvW

Posted by: jazzbrownie.6049

jazzbrownie.6049

If I get far enough away from your magical purple sword to use a waypoint, I will. It’s your own fault for letting me get out of combat.

Some halfwits will chase me for a few minutes (with no chance of catching me) otherwise. It saves everyone time.

in WvW

Posted by: Richard.8207

Richard.8207

The idea of removing the ability to teleport unless dead is absolutely terrible. There’s a lot of tactics involved in shutting down an opponent’s waypoints (at least in HoD’s matchups), and it would be sad to lose that.

Adding a 5 minute cooldown after combat is even worse. That would mean I would always run away from a fight while doing supply runs since I don’t want to be kitten at my job for 5 minutes just to kill a scout that can still scout dead anyways.

Adding a cast time I guess would be okay, although honestly I just don’t think it’s a problem worth even 5 seconds of developer time. I honestly kind of like not quite being sure if the guy that ran away is still there or teleported back home anyways.

in WvW

Posted by: Slyther.1297

Slyther.1297

I’m well aware of the risk of participating in WvW, but as I said I’m not sticking around for a fight that will see me lying on the ground within seconds of engagement. It’s not fun, and it’s expensive to constantly have to repair exotic armour.

I’ll have to click that waypoint to respawn anyway, so might as well save myself the two silver and get a head start on running from the spawn.

in WvW

Posted by: drwookie.6391

drwookie.6391

Ya I agree with the majority in here. Keep your enemy in combat. If you can’t, at least be proud of the fact that they ran and will have to hoof it back to wherever they were headed. Yes you don’t get the xp, but that is just the way it is.

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

Sorry you missed your 1v1 kill in World vs World. (Not player vs player.)
If you want smaller 1v1 situations go play sPvP. No one cares who you are, or how many solo players you kill in WvW. Players dying 1v1 to you doesn’t mean anything at all.

Taking out ability to waypoint while alive is one of the worst ideas I have heard.
Sorry to burst your bubble but it is.
Paying to upgrade a waypoint and then having to pay to use it in WvW while already paying for repair bills is stupid.
Not to mention what happens if you have xx group defending y camp, and xx group defending z camp. Z camp gets attacked, the group @ y should be able to waypoint and run to z camp, to defend with the others.

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in WvW

Posted by: Dosvidaniya.3260

Dosvidaniya.3260

Tell me what the point of pvp is if there is no risk, There need’s to be a risk versus reward factor, if you win, you get token’s if you lose you get a repair bill. It should not be a case of whoever can use their spell’s to escape long enough to teleport back to a waypoint for free. If you get into a situation where you are outnumbered 5-1 then that’s the situation you have put yourself in by straying past the front lines or maintaining poor situational awareness.

The point of pvp is to have fun. The point is not to go broke because your level 30 alt is going to be curb-stomped by the level 80 in full exotics with the craziest speed and damage imbalance in the game. Nor is the point to be run down by that team that outnumbers you 5:1. Right now, just logging into the WvW zones on my server puts up the Undermanned buff. You think it’s my fault I’m “straying past the front lines” which appears to be the point where I lose immunity to damage? Does that mean just stop doing WvW so I never go past that point? They can implement a complete risk/reward scenario when there is some semblance of balance.

You also seem to suggest that I am upset over not killing 1 player who teleported to the waypoint, this is not the case, in fact I am usually in WvWvW every evening and generally run around solo if my server is doing it’s usual mindless zerging, i get many kill’s however I also get many people abusing the waypoint’s to escape from what would have been a guaranteed kill once my blink came out of cooldown.

You are upset. If you weren’t, you wouldn’t call for the change. Upset doesn’t mean you are raging uncontrollably. It means that at some level, you aren’t happy with the situation. That is your case. You are clearly unhappy that they “escaped from what would have been a guaranteed kill.”

As others have said, keep them in combat if you want the kill. Otherwise, expect a port out of people that don’t like eating repairs.

in WvW

Posted by: Alarox.4590

Alarox.4590

Have you all forgotten why you have to pay cash for broken armor? It’s a gold sink and an attrition mechanic.

Being able to teleport just by temporarily avoiding the enemy (when you would likely still die) is basically negating the intended attrition mechanic.

Plus, the risk vs reward is eliminated in many cases.

For example: You push hard north to take a tower, the enemy flanks your southern tower. Instead of them being able to take advantage of your movement and having your actions actually have a consequence, you can instantly waypoint back to your spawn and get to the tower in a minute.

Alarox – Human Guardian
Rampage Wilson – Charr Engineer
Sea of Sorrows

(edited by Alarox.4590)

in WvW

Posted by: drwookie.6391

drwookie.6391

Alarox,

I would say risk vs reward isn’t eliminated, but just changed with the mechanic in place. Yes you can port back to rescue your southern tower. However that means you lose the progress you made pushing hard north. The enemy also knows this is a possibility, so they could strategically go for your south tower hoping it will pull you off the north. Because both teams are aware of the ability to port, both teams can adjust their “risk vs reward” accordingly. So the risks/rewards aren’t eliminated, they are just different.

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow Phage.9084

Shadow Phage.9084

There is another method people have not mentioned to fast respawn: death via falling. No armor damage and a free trip back to an uncontested waypoint.

Expecting speedy, unfriendly, reinforcements when attacking a tower/camp close to an enemy spawn is a given. You should be taking this into account before starting the assault.

And in your scenario, the northern team likely gave up their drive to reinforce their current holdings in the south. If that northern tower belongs to your server, that would be a good time to get a few people working on its defenses. If it is not your tower, why did you not wait for them to engage it to begin with? That would have prevented quick teleport travel unless they felt like dieing.

in WvW

Posted by: Richard.8207

Richard.8207

Alarox, that’s why you need to shut down the waypoint before you attack. It adds even more depth as a result, which is why I don’t want it going away. I don’t care if that was unintended, it sure as heck is fun.

And being able to run away in PvP does not negate an attrition mechanic. Rewarding people with skipping a repair bill for being able to get out of combat seems fine. As I said, I like the uncertainty about if the enemy really teleported or they’re just hiding to recover and plan their counterattack. It also adds depth to WvW.

I’d just hate to see something get “fixed” only for the developers to realize later that being broken was actually a lot more fun than being fixed. I honestly think the waypoints being used for retreat was unintended, but I also think it makes the game better.

in WvW

Posted by: Hix.8925

Hix.8925

200v200, one army loses, 125 die and 75 teleport to way point.

All 200 end up at the way point.

Alternative scenario: 200v200, one army loses, all 200 die

All 200 end up at the way point.

So with regards to large scale battles, your change does nothing to alter the outcome.

in WvW

Posted by: Jackard.3071

Jackard.3071

bubble hearth more

in WvW

Posted by: Recently.1043

Recently.1043

Waypoint usage is an important tactical tool. Maybe your on some scrub server, but at least on the good servers (I’m from SBI for example) we have alot of coordination and different raiding parties assigned to certain tasks, and the mobility of the waypoints is crucial; without it, you would have to have large amounts of people sitting babysitting, instead of sending scouts out and having a few eyes and ears around to report enemy movements so that the rest of your team can be mobile.

Plus waypoints cost alot to upgrade. Usually at most, you have 2, your starting one, and your keep.

Call me when this game gets fixed…. if it ever does….