Rethinking siege: It's time to go mobile

in WvW

Posted by: Stephen.6312

Stephen.6312

Have you ever noticed that most of the siege engines you construct have wheels? Yet only two of those engines – ironically, the ones without wheels – move around: alpha and omega golems. It’s a crying shame for which there aren’t enough tissues in the Orient to contain. It makes absolutely no sense to give golems mobility and nothing else. I say that everything you build should be movable.

What do you think?

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Yes it would be lovely to see 70 man zergs roll around with 10 sup ACs wherever they go.

in WvW

Posted by: zhonnika.1784

zhonnika.1784

What tier do you even play in, because you have, by far, the worst ideas I’ve ever seen and that’s considering the fact that anet gave us golem week.

Kashmara – Elementalist | Reapermara – Necromancer
Jade Quarry
Onslaught [OnS]

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

do it for a day lol.
watch the /popcorners outnumber the zergs.
omg I just laughed the hardest all year. JUST IMAGINE THIS. oh god I cant breathe or see from the tears of laughter. IMAGINE a giant 100man insatiable deathball with stealthing acs and portal bombing rams followed by cata trains and backline trebomancers.
OH MY GOD THE GLORY YOU GUISE. phew can breathe again.
WOWOWOWOWOWOWWOWO ill be laughing at this all year. I swear you just made my life better by a noticeable margin.
THANK YOU.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

(edited by Stand The Wall.6987)

in WvW

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

I think it would be interesting to have certain siege equipment have “mobility skills” attached such as giving flame rams a short burst of mobility similar to engi’s slick shoes or giving arrowcarts the ability to be wheeled 300 units in any direction on a long cd to avoid an aoe, or to move too a better position. Skills like this would have fairly long cooldowns so while you technically COULD move the siege over long distances, it wouldn’t be very viable. Siege shouldn’t be moveable cross-map, this is the entire point of siege golems.

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

I hate siege wars

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

I think it would be interesting to have certain siege equipment have “mobility skills” attached such as giving flame rams a short burst of mobility similar to engi’s slick shoes or giving arrowcarts the ability to be wheeled 300 units in any direction on a long cd to avoid an aoe, or to move too a better position. Skills like this would have fairly long cooldowns so while you technically COULD move the siege over long distances, it wouldn’t be very viable. Siege shouldn’t be moveable cross-map, this is the entire point of siege golems.

I can see this primarily being used by trolls to push every ac in a keep to the edge of a wall for easy destruction.

in WvW

Posted by: Lionwait.4815

Lionwait.4815

I think this would be a wonderful idea. I know most of you people think ah no.. But the speed of the siege would be so slow those evil scenarios you are imagining wont happen. But what would happen is better siege on siege warfare in defending and offending. Giving more strategic options to WVW.

This is the kinda stuff WVW needs. We need more strategic options in WVW. People like you guys that shoot down ideas are those that don’t understand that its you who limit updates by happening in WVW. Because Anet gets so much flack from us. Yes that flack has been justly earned. And we all know that the Anet WVW team is lacking in strategy thinkers and tend to push responsibility on to the public with polls. But the answer isn’t with the many. Because statistically there are more halfwits then fullwitted people.

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

I think this would be a wonderful idea. I know most of you people think ah no.. But the speed of the siege would be so slow those evil scenarios you are imagining wont happen. But what would happen is better siege on siege warfare in defending and offending. Giving more strategic options to WVW.

This is the kinda stuff WVW needs. We need more strategic options in WVW. People like you guys that shoot down ideas are those that don’t understand that its you who limit updates by happening in WVW. Because Anet gets so much flack from us. Yes that flack has been justly earned. And we all know that the Anet WVW team is lacking in strategy thinkers and tend to push responsibility on to the public with polls. But the answer isn’t with the many. Because statistically there are more halfwits then fullwitted people.

it boils down to what people want. do they want to sit at 1500 range and be unable to fight it out, due to being instantly melted by siege? I think not. imagine if you could call down artillery strikes in counter strike global offensive and wipe out an entire team. no one would play.

if troll then 10/10

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

(edited by Stand The Wall.6987)

in WvW

Stephen.6312

Yes it would be lovely to see 70 man zergs roll around with 10 sup ACs wherever they go.

Zergs can do that anyway. How many do you see relying on siege to win battles and when they do how effective is it at upping-the-odds?

in WvW

Stephen.6312

What tier do you even play in, because you have, by far, the worst ideas I’ve ever seen and that’s considering the fact that anet gave us golem week.

Hopefully not your tier

in WvW

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Much like the deployable cannons, it would need considerable changes at the same time.
such as AC’s being more expensive, (supply cost). bali and ac skill cd’s would need to be longer to make their usage much more tactical (cd per seige rather than per player also).

Adding a movement skill is an interesting approach. distance/cd/direction limits could help make it seem realistic, easier to balance and also prevent things like portal bomb rams ( which would be loltastic but kinda ridiculous from both thematic and balance standpoint).

I have always wanted mobile siege, but it comes with so many caveats that it would be a nightmare for the devs.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

Just hop off the AC and work on your actual combat ability. It’ll be painful for a few weeks but you’ll find that skill bar is way more fun than the 3 skills on an AC.

in WvW

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Just hop off the AC and work on your actual combat ability. It’ll be painful for a few weeks but you’ll find that skill bar is way more fun than the 3 skills on an AC.

That’s my thinking behind the cd’s should be longer, it becomes more tactical to time, but shouldn’t be sat on all the time

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

How about we leave siege alone, they couldn’t even implement deployable cannons properly. Siege is fine the way it is for offense and defense, they need to focus on other things to infuse some fun into wvw. Not siege ladders to help break the game, not counters to those ladders to have yet more crap to add to upgrades, not mobile siege so people can save on blueprints and too kitten lazy build new siege and break supply balance.

Please and thank you.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but Anet has NOT been cultivating players who want strategic and skilled play.

And no, no more buffs to seige. There’s enough low hanging, feel good fruit in the game already.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: Lionwait.4815

Lionwait.4815

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but Anet has NOT been cultivating players who want strategic and skilled play..

Because most of them left or multiboxes having two accounts, One account left in a fortification using macros on siege attacking other fortifications. While the main account plays with their team mates. And the overlay program from GW2timer.com doesn’t help with giving a radar of siege to range. In short their are a lot of things that need to be addressed before this wonderful idea comes in to play and a good idea it is.

in WvW

Stephen.6312

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but Anet has NOT been cultivating players who want strategic and skilled play.

And no, no more buffs to seige. There’s enough low hanging, feel good fruit in the game already.

What is “strategic” and “skilled” play, in your opinion? PvP? I don’t think broadening the range of strategic and tactical options available to Commanders will improve the personal skill-levels of WvW players. But WvW isn’t just about control points – it’s about breaking into structures that contain them, which is where siege comes in.

Making siege mobile wouldn’t feed trolls; making siege mobile wouldn’t increase the deployment of siege engines in open-field zerg vs zerg combat. Why? Because any player worth their salt knows the limitations of siege.

I’m suggesting making siege transportable to reduce the number of supply-runs involved in laying siege to fortifications, and to ease player-dependence on camps. Siege would remain slow-moving, vulnerable, and just as unwieldly in openfield pvp.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Well, siege could be movable very very slowwwwly, still would help moving siege from top of wall when getting aoe or repositioned to better spot, but can u guys imagine how much of siege would be trolled by spies and put outside of gates to be aoed by his/her teammates form the other server???

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Two types of seige would fix the ‘put it outside’ issue.

Anything built inside a structure can’t move inside or out of it, so that is fixed siege.

Rams shouldn’t be movable. Anything build outside a structure would be movable except rams.

After movement, add a 30 second delay before firing for open field siege. ACs would need 3 people tethered to move, ballasitas 4, catapults 5, Trebs 6. Tethered people have zero skills. Post tether you are unable to use any skills for 10 seconds. No speed boost on movable siege so they move at slow walking pace.

So now you have tactic options (sneak a treb into position, or a bunch of catas) but it comes at a cost. Decide whether to bring some with you and plan a surprise for that enemy blob or build when you get there. Also makes small groups more powerful as they can bring supplies with them as well a prebuilt cata or two.

Another question entirely, in these days of condi bombing, why do so few people place ballistas to counter ACs and the condi bomb? Ballistas well placed can make a real mess of a larger balled up blob.

Those that argue against siege being used are equivalent to telling our army to only use single shot pistols instead of all the tools available to get the job done.

Of course what we really need is a completely redesigned map and a balance team..

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I’d happily build 10 shield gens to make my blob run thru stuff safely. Good luck on your acs and trebs and whatnot hur dur.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.