Returning player having trouble on BP

in WvW

Posted by: Buell.3701

Buell.3701

Q:

Hey all, so I’m coming back to the game after a 1 or 2 year hiatus and want to get back into PvP. However, I see that Borlis Pass is literally dead last in T8 (go figure) and was wondering if it really means anything? I primarily solo roam on my thief but I like to run with blobs sometimes but I can’t even seem to find a single soul on the server. I roamed for a bout 2 hours and only found 2 enemies from SF who just ran away. I even tried to join a zerg but I couldn’t find any commanders.

Is BP truly dead now? Should I just spend the 1800 gems and transfer to a T4-T5 (chose them because I heard they are the best for solo roaming)? Really need some advice here. Thanks in advance.

(edited by Buell.3701)

in WvW

Posted by: Synosius.9876

Synosius.9876

WvW is a game about community, unfortunately many players view it instead like eotm, or spvp. They want a 3-2-1 START, then play for a bit with a conclusive ending. Making friends, forming alliances and working as a team is not what they are interested in doing.

What you are looking for is a bandwagon server. These servers have an influx of players allowing them to easily beat opposition in their tier before glicko has had time to adjust. Morale is high, there are plenty of commanders and friendly players to back you up keeping the zergs in check.

The servers at the bottom tiers are there because morale is low and fair weather players don’t return leaving commanders little to work with. The ideal response would be to get involved with your server community and work hard to rebuild.

Playing on a low tier server is very challenging, you will often be fighting out manned and be forced into roles you are not familiar with such as defending and siege wars. If you look at the current scores, BP is rank 24 yet coming in second for this match bringing them up to rank 23 when this week ends.

Picking a server that looks stable likely means they are tired of a stale match up and wont be fighting very hard. Transferring to a server on the rise will put you against new opponents and more fights.

The negative aspect of a bandwagon server is that when the ride is over, you just have to keep transferring every few months. Having recently faced all the t8 servers myself, I would not say any of them are dead. They fought well but a server rises or falls with the strength of its community. Those players outside of the communities will feel lost and alone; fair weather players not returning day after day makes the maps appear empty.

That all being said, I’m secretly rooting for Darkhaven to keep climbing the ranks, their success looks like more than just a bandwagon.

(edited by Synosius.9876)

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Hey all, so I’m coming back to the game after a 1 or 2 year hiatus and want to get back into PvP. However, I see that Borlis Pass is literally dead last in T8 (go figure) and was wondering if it really means anything? I primarily solo roam on my thief but I like to run with blobs sometimes but I can’t even seem to find a single soul on the server. I roamed for a bout 2 hours and only found 2 enemies from SF who just ran away. I even tried to join a zerg but I couldn’t find any commanders.

Is BP truly dead now? Should I just spend the 1800 gems and transfer to a T4-T5 (chose them because I heard they are the best for solo roaming)? Really need some advice here. Thanks in advance.

Months ago BP lost a lot of players, I think the first wave started with the announcement of season 2. Even Monkey Shinezz has transferred now. You’re best bet is probably T4-5 if you’re solo, though it will likely depend on the time of day you play. I play late NA with about 4 -7 other people so I’m fine in T1-2.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: Rimmy.9217

Rimmy.9217

Find your community’s current website and TeamSpeak server, ask in map chat if need be, and start to hook yourself into the community. Then you’ll have a much better picture of what it is and can make an informed decision on whether it’s right for you or not.

Trollnado Ele – Ehmry Bay

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Your best bet is probably a t2 server, t1 servers are all full, t3 is messy right now and its grown to pull in t4 servers like SBI into really bad outnumbered matchups with a t2 server.

I would recommend Darkhaven personally, they have a good mix of zergers and roamers, and have grown steadily over the last several months from bronze to #8 currently and they can put up a good fight.

That is of course if your not interested in trying to help rebuild your server and if your just coming back after such a long absence I cant imagine you would have much loyalty built up to it to engage in that.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: Rimmy.9217

Rimmy.9217

Definitely do not take anybody’s recommendation for what tier you should move to, especially if they’re in the tier they’re recommending. Bias, and all that.

Connect with your BP community first and get an overview of what’s what. Then decide what you want and inquire back here on where to get it.

Also, don’t listen to anybody’s description of a tier they’re not currently in. Higher tiers always say that everything below them is dead, and lower tiers tend to describe anything higher as a zergfest.

Note that anything above my current tier is a zergfest. nods

Trollnado Ele – Ehmry Bay

in WvW

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

ATM populations in WvW are very subject to change. The new expansion will bring many old players back and many new players in. There has been an influx of new players since the announcement, so many of them will probably be getting into WvW soon if they havent already. I’d stay on your server and try to work with the people that you have met. The more points your world gets, the easier it will be to get more people (be it casual people who only play when you’re winning or new people that want to try it but are scared due to huge point differences)

Also, servers dont ever stay at the bottom forever. Just work with who you have and your server will eventually climb the ladder again.

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

in WvW

Posted by: Synosius.9876

Synosius.9876

Well DH finally made it to t3 and… getting crushed. JQs glicko is dropping slightly, I dont know what it means but anything could happen at this point. Mag is looking strong. The future ratings are anyones guess!

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

That being said, I’m assuming the communities on higher tier servers are horrible(?)

Still on the fence about transferring. I wouldn’t go to T1 or T3 I would probably go to T4-T5 or Darkhaven. What do you guys think?

Why on earth would you think the communities on the higher tier servers are horrible lol. Communities are what keeps the wvw alive on a server. I am on BG, transferred several months ago and I really love the community here. I dont know where people get the idea that higher tier players are all elitists or jerks or whatever, its not true whatsoever. Darkhaven is a good server, but they are in a tough matchup this week because t3 has been a mess for months, since there are essentially 4 t2 servers, and one of them keeps bouncing to t3 in uneven matchups, even t4 servers have been getting pulled into it. You might want to consider maguuma to, word is they have been rebuilding and climbing back.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

As an ex-BP player who moved to DB the community on DB is excellent. My guild BS stayed for a long time, but finally we had to admit that there was no real WvW available, BP died. So we left. T2 is interesting, but there are currently 4 servers duking it out for 3 spots and T3 isn’t strong enough right now to handle any of the 4 when we cycle down there…. Roaming in T2 can be a little tough depending on your timezone as there tends to be a lot of big zergs. T3/T4 could be interesting, in general people interested in WvW are transfering up rather than down, and as T1 and T2 fill up, people will have to start filling T3.

in WvW

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

Basically what Tspatula said. T3 is hitting the population ceiling between Gold and Silver rank servers, and its brutal to be up there if you’re NOT a large scale combat oriented player.

I think that you could do well in any of the T5-3 servers, and i think you would enjoy it more than you would in BP. If you like zerg fights and not small scale/teams fights you should seriously consider a transfer. Some servers or guilds may be willing to contribute to your xfer if you can get in touch with their leaders and explain your situation.

in WvW

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

ATM populations in WvW are very subject to change. The new expansion will bring many old players back and many new players in. There has been an influx of new players since the announcement, so many of them will probably be getting into WvW soon if they havent already. I’d stay on your server and try to work with the people that you have met. The more points your world gets, the easier it will be to get more people (be it casual people who only play when you’re winning or new people that want to try it but are scared due to huge point differences)

Also, servers dont ever stay at the bottom forever. Just work with who you have and your server will eventually climb the ladder again.

how it will bring new players to a dieing server? i mean no offense but takes lil to no research to figure out what eu/na servers are really crap WvW wise.

if u ask me any server is good aslong ur not in top dogs server and not at the bottom..
top servers are just zerg it up
bottom u get dominated likely by 3rd last one. why? cus 2 on bottom have small community and 1 server has big zerg squad community but they cant rank up cus everything above them will stomp them down the list insstantly so this is quite boring also, tho im quite happy when our server for once does unite and kitten the zerg server quite easily. then again majority of the time i feel sorry for our server and the other server that have to stand up against force that out numbers both servers big time and can fight on both fronts against both servers at same time and still bring double more people against both servers but hey w/e floats their boat i personally dont like winning when it goes that easy.

in WvW

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

how it will bring new players to a dieing server? i mean no offense but takes lil to no research to figure out what eu/na servers are really crap WvW wise.

if u ask me any server is good aslong ur not in top dogs server and not at the bottom..
top servers are just zerg it up
bottom u get dominated likely by 3rd last one. why? cus 2 on bottom have small community and 1 server has big zerg squad community but they cant rank up cus everything above them will stomp them down the list insstantly so this is quite boring also, tho im quite happy when our server for once does unite and kitten the zerg server quite easily. then again majority of the time i feel sorry for our server and the other server that have to stand up against force that out numbers both servers big time and can fight on both fronts against both servers at same time and still bring double more people against both servers but hey w/e floats their boat i personally dont like winning when it goes that easy.

i think you overestimate new players a little bit. Most new players wont research what server to join beforehand. Most will just download the game and pick a server, either at random or by which one sounds coolest. At some point most players will wonder, what is this WvW thing? They will then wander over and either like it or leave.

You also underestimate the revivability of some servers. AR, SOR, and Kain were all on bottom within the last 6 months. They are now ranked 17,18, and 19 and rightfully so (although they will probably all pass my server, we are unfortunately on the decline atm). Several servers do fluctuate. If you were to look at the leaderboard from 6 months ago, it would look much different than today. Here are the servers that were in what league in the last tourney (roughly 6 months ago)

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/WvW_Fall_Tournament_2014

here are the current rankings:

https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/wvw

if they started a tourney on friday, here is what servers would be in a different league:

Maguuma was in gold, they would be in silver. YB and DB were both in silver, they would be in gold. DR and BP were in silver, they would be bronze. Ebay and DH (now ranked at were both in bronze, but now would be silver. Also of note, SBI and HOD were in 6th and 8th place respectively. They are now ranked in 11th and 10th place respectively.

At any rate, i find it to be a massive waste of gold/RL$ to transfer servers because they will all rise and fall at some point. @ OP I recommend that you stay on your server and wait it out (or help build it up), but if you must transfer, try to avoid a bandwagon server because the wagon falls apart at roughly rank 9 (many of the guilds xfer elsewhere) and then that server has a very bad 3 months+

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!