Returning to Guild Wars just for the WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: MasterofKhaos.8903

MasterofKhaos.8903

Been gone for almost a year, was the WvW Leader for The Brotherhood, some of you may remember us from Northern Shiverpeaks and the origins of the short lived Titan Alliance. Playing Wildstar has made me miss the fluidity of combat, and the art style of GW2. But is WvW (my main focus) worth returning too? It had tons of problems when I left, and I feel like its probably not better now. ANET was too slow in fixing things then, has it changed?

MasterofKhaos
WvW Leader and Co-leader of [TBH]
Co-Founder of Northern Shiverpeaks Council [NSC]

in WvW

Posted by: Steelo.4597

Steelo.4597

Nah, nothing in WvW has changed except its even more karmatrainy/blobby now. Class balance has changed a little though. Oh and there is Edge of The Mists now – if WvW is too little karmatrain for you, thats the place to be – good for leveling alt (if you are green).

i fear we will look back to this day and remember the good old wvw as it is now – Jan 2015

(edited by Steelo.4597)

in WvW

Posted by: akanibbles.6237

akanibbles.6237

“Wildstar” <— now there is a game

…and you came back?

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

titan….the one that push hod and ruled wvw for a month?

the main difference from titan time and now is that there is no more free transfer.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Colly.4073

Colly.4073

Not worth returning IMO but you’d have to find out for yourself, WvW is riddled with various issues most of which where probably there when you went afk.

It’s stale, repetitive and lacks any kind of Dev focus. It’s as if Anet couldn’t give a monkeys if it fails.

in WvW

Posted by: rainbowstylin.1358

rainbowstylin.1358

“Wildstar” <— now there is a game

…and you came back?

Even with all of Gw2’s problems, IMO it feels way better/cleaner/nicer than wildstar. I commend whoever designed the GW2 UI and interfaces.

Ontopic, WvW is what you make it.
As I’m sure you know, there’s no real “progression” other than learning to be a better player. This threw me off initially, but over time I’ve definitely come to like it.
I play WvW for fights and scenarios and such, and it usually delivers exactly that.

While certain cheese builds come to mind, IMO the overall balance of combat and classes is pretty even, which is fairly rare to find in a game like this.

in WvW

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

Nothing has changed in WvWvW and there does not appear to be any changes coming either.

in WvW

Posted by: CyRuS.6915

CyRuS.6915

Since only the disgruntled have responded I thought I would chime in and give you an alternate perspective:

I say, come back and try it out and answer your questions yourself. Personally I still love wvw. Stuff has changed since you last played (despite the previous poster’s opinion to the contrary) so why not give it a go and see what you think?

People complain that ANET ignores wvw and doesn’t make changes that we “need.” To a limited degree there is truth in that, but opinions about what wvw needs and/or should be are extremely diverse. Don’t decide against trying it again because of a few dissatisfied people . Try it out and see for yourself.

Anomaly

in WvW

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Guild and I are playing both Wildstar and GW2.

We are continuing with GW2 for WvW.

Since GW2 is “free” if you choose to play it that way, nothing to stop anyone from picking it up for some WvW fun.

To answer your question though: WvW continues to be what you / your guild make of it. Nothing has changed there. Play for PPT, or fights, or both. Roamers are now mostly going cond build (see patch notes April 15th).

The only thing of interest is that WExp is now account bound.

There have been some tweaks to traits. ANet decided to overhaul, er, change, the trait system leaving it not particularly better or worse off.

ANet is still non-communicative about the present and future of WvW.

In short: come back for nostalgia’s sake but don’t expect it to be much different than when you left.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

in WvW

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

No one has mentioned WvW special abilities from level up points yet? Was this in the game a year ago? (not sure myself.) Mastery of siege weapons, carrying/spending supply, etc. As far as I know, these came less than a year ago, but I could be wrong.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_Experience Scroll down to WXP upgrades.

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Well there is EOTM now, otherwise the old WvW is still the same old WvW except some classes like the elementalists have had their traits nerfed to the ground and now have only 1-2 viable builds.

in WvW

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

30-50 man balls to exploit the AoE hitting only 5 people mechanic

That’s still around

and the rendering issues

That was solved.

as well as the abuse of garrison seagate bypass and mesmers glitching through terain on purpose.

Some glitches were fixed, most are still there.

winning by exploiting broken game mechanics that aren’t functioning the right way.

EU had an invisible unknown player on (server name) who went around unchallenged the entire S2 tournament attacking people (literally you read ‘hit by unknown player’). Trollers and siege cappers have added to the mix.

it’s just not fun seeing zerging, flyhacks and exploits over and over again.

Orbs are gone so you don’t see the flyhackers (but they are still there). Tier 1 u still see huge zerg balls and tier 2 as well but to a lesser extent.

In addition everyone who knows WvW knows that coverage wins the ppt game that’s not changed.

EotM would be new to you, ANet class it as WvW but most WvW players dont see it that way. Its more a PvE Karma train with some PvP.

The ruins will be new to u, honestly it did mix up the meta to an extent. People actively cap it and defend it but it made WvW even more unbalanced (pushing ppl towards PvP).

Hope that helps.

(edited by FearedbytheGods.8617)

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

Leaving Guild Wars because of WvW – is more common.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: akanibbles.6237

akanibbles.6237

My point wasn’t that they would never return to GW2, my point was that they returned too soon. Wildstar is an End Game MMO, so I would expect people to spend some time experiencing it before deciding to quit.

GW2 is a casual game so can be picked (back) up anytime, subscription free.

in WvW

Posted by: Cefiro.9372

Cefiro.9372

I find WvW a bit like the search function on the GW forums.

in WvW

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

I find WvW a bit like the search function on the GW forums.

Found 0 results??

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

in WvW

Posted by: Andrew Clear.1750

Andrew Clear.1750

Don’t ask people on the forums about WvW. A lot of people troll these that don’t even play WvW anymore.

Also, usually only people who like to complain come here.

GW2 is free to play, since you already bought it, so just log back in and see for yourself.