Roaming 1vX, Ranger or Eng

in WvW

Posted by: pheroth.5306

pheroth.5306

Hello, I have at Engineer and Ranger at 80 and am trying to decide which one to roam with. Assuming we are talking about a Bunker condition builds (bunker regen ranger, and whatever eng has), which one would be more successful in 1vX fights?

Some things I noticed that someone may have some input on:
- Engineers can get mobility easier than Rangers (rocket boots, speedy kits vs signet of hunt, no movement skill unless you have GS)
- Ranger doesn’t have a lot of AoE capability, which makes it seem like for 1vX, its a single target dps race

in WvW

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

I don’t have a ranger but I love doing 1vX and small groups with my eng.

It’s very survivable and hard to pin down.

As far as mobility speedy kits + rocket boots works… but tbh… you don’t need those that often with how much cc you have available.

Eng eats thieves and laughs (you’ll be fighting a lot of these as a roamer).

It does require more knowledge of the game than most other classes do for many builds though (you really gotta know all your finishers and how to use them well).

Eng is one of the most versatile classes (if not the most). It does lack reliable stability (but plenty of blocks/invulns/stun breaker sort of stuffs) and good mele though (although I do love using toolkit aa to smack around stealthed thieves).

It’s the most fun and the most rewarding class that I’ve plaid.

In the end, I would just pick the one that you enjoy more. No sense in playing the game with something that some one else says is better but you’re having less fun playing.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

in WvW

Posted by: Thesilentflute.8761

Thesilentflute.8761

I don’t think you will be able to 1vx anyone with a bunk ranger. You could prolly win some 1v1s but short range and slow dmg is a hard sell for multiple enemies, but it is wvw so you never know. I can take our groups of like 2 and 3 with my DD ranger.

I see good ideas every day …good in theory. – Shawn Farthing
Masters in Geek Mythology
YOU ARE NOT THE INVENTOR OF WORDS!!! lol

(edited by Thesilentflute.8761)

in WvW

Posted by: Noves.4365

Noves.4365

+1 for the engi.

Noves
Baruch Bay [DOOM]
http://www.youtube.com/user/Noves34

in WvW

Posted by: zeus.9634

zeus.9634

a bunker ranger works very well in 1vx but you have to spec into beastmastery and let your pet do most of the damage. you as ranger just apply conditions and do the other shenanigans.
im using a bunker beastmaster myself and enjoyed it alot. youll be able to kill most of the players.. i usually only have troubles with d/d eles (few good ones kill me the rest just runs away when they notice they lose and u cant catch up) and some mesmers.

the only downside is that some fights can take really long, especially against other ranger or guardian bunkers, but if noone else interferes you can have really cool and fun long lasting duels :)

for escaping im using the great sword which provides a very nice leap, and together with our nice speed buffs (and if needed rampage as one) its mostly pretty easy to even run away from zergs.

Mariskah 80 Ranger
Lords of England Officer
Far Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Fenryl.7059

Fenryl.7059

in WvW

Posted by: Maskaganda.2043

Maskaganda.2043

engie 1 v many
tho definetly not a bunker spec.

Tchuu Tchuu I’m a Train – Gandara
engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

in WvW

Posted by: Malpractice.7850

Malpractice.7850

a bunker ranger works very well in 1vx but you have to spec into beastmastery and let your pet do most of the damage. you as ranger just apply conditions and do the other shenanigans.
im using a bunker beastmaster myself and enjoyed it alot. youll be able to kill most of the players.. i usually only have troubles with d/d eles (few good ones kill me the rest just runs away when they notice they lose and u cant catch up) and some mesmers.

the only downside is that some fights can take really long, especially against other ranger or guardian bunkers, but if noone else interferes you can have really cool and fun long lasting duels

for escaping im using the great sword which provides a very nice leap, and together with our nice speed buffs (and if needed rampage as one) its mostly pretty easy to even run away from zergs.

Heres an example of what this guys saying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfEWpvAlu68

in WvW

Posted by: pheroth.5306

pheroth.5306

Hey guys, thanks for the input so far!

I’ve been previewing both classes in sPVP, I’ve noticed Engineer is a bit difficult to play. More specifically I need to change my keybinds because hitting those function keys while trying to kite was a complete disaster. Even with my kitten poor play I was able to fight ok tho.

in WvW

Posted by: Pendleton.6385

Pendleton.6385

I’m biased to ranger … I won’t go over all the differences because others have already done it.

For me, the best part of playing a ranger is being considered an easy target. If you’re a decent player, it will work to your advantage.

A typical scenario:

Player will see a ranger and think of him as an easy kill or a quick bag. I find they run at you in a half hazard manner without the caution they would give another class. When you survive their assault and stack bleeds, conditions, and other steady damage … they usually panic and this leads to their death.

Personally, I find delight in this. It’s like debating a topic and using someone’s point against them.

This isn’t always the case but I find it happens a lot.

Some players seem to attach a stigma to being downed by a ranger (like embarrassed or something) … use it to your advantage : )

My two cents about roaming with a ranger and why it’s fun.

Tarnished Coast
~ Ranger

in WvW

Posted by: noobftw.9654

noobftw.9654

I’m biased to ranger … I won’t go over all the differences because others have already done it.

For me, the best part of playing a ranger is being considered an easy target. If you’re a decent player, it will work to your advantage.

A typical scenario:

Player will see a ranger and think of him as an easy kill or a quick bag. I find they run at you in a half hazard manner without the caution they would give another class. When you survive their assault and stack bleeds, conditions, and other steady damage … they usually panic and this leads to their death.

Personally, I find delight in this. It’s like debating a topic and using someone’s point against them.

Some players seem to attach a stigma to being downed by a ranger (like embarrassed or something) … use it to your advantage : )

^ Ranger is and was the top tier PVP class now and before the patch. Only difference is the skill cap is lowered even more (I am looking at you, spirit ranger). As long as you have the right build and can master sword #2 as gap opener/closer or apply leap on healing spring if you ever use em ,you are a good ranger.

in WvW

Posted by: Pendleton.6385

Pendleton.6385

A typical scenario:

^ Ranger is and was the top tier PVP class now and before the patch. Only difference is the skill cap is lowered even more (I am looking at you, spirit ranger). As long as you have the right build and can master sword #2 as gap opener/closer or apply leap on healing spring if you ever use em ,you are a good ranger.

I am talking about WvW not s/tPVP. WvW is a completely different animal. Rangers are looked at as free loot in WvW by most players. It’s a sad fact. However, I don’t agree with it but they do.

Also … off topic but in WvW, a spirit ranger’s spirits are easily destroyed with barely 8k health points.

Tarnished Coast
~ Ranger