Roaming: done to death

in WvW

Posted by: Grackleflint.4956

Grackleflint.4956

Roaming videos have been done to death. Roaming doesn’t help your world accomplish anything.

Can anyone link a video showing actual WvWvW tactics—trap placement, which bases to hit and how, proper use of siege and how to protect them, etc?

I can’t wait for dueling to be implemented so roamers become a thing of the past.

in WvW

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

Roaming is the best part of WvW … it is the only funny thing of this game….
If you don’t like it, too bad for you .. probably it’s because you are not very good at it, or you didn’t understand it.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Coarr.3286

Coarr.3286

i roam, kill dolyaks and switch camps. if every player on the map from my server would do as much points as i do we would tick 24/7 for max points. so dont takl nonsense

[care] Coarr Ix – Ranger
Kodash
Stomp some Piken!

in WvW

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

Roaming and killing people is probably the only reason to play WvW. What do you gain from towers and keeps? Rewards? No. Will you die if the enemy holds all towers and keeps? No. Does it take skill to be in a zerg knocking down doors? No.

Roaming takes skill. Unfortunately it’s not nearly enough action for me, so I prefer PvP. Give me something that takes skill in WvW and I’ll be there in an instant.

in WvW

Posted by: The Emperor Glory.3927

The Emperor Glory.3927

A good guild group running and killing much larger numbers IS the game. Honestly does anyone play WvW for pointless points?

Glory – [GoW] Glory of War. Piken square loyalist.

in WvW

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

Roaming is just another part of the game. Roaming around and flipping camps, killing sentries, killing stragglers. What’s the point of following a commander around only to PvDoor?

All is vain.

in WvW

Posted by: Xirin.8593

Xirin.8593

Roaming videos have been done to death. Roaming doesn’t help your world accomplish anything.

While I couldn’t care less about PPT and winner/losers in a match-up, are you trying to tell me that when I solo cap a fully upgraded North borderland camp that I am not helping my server?

[AoN] All or Nothing

in WvW

Posted by: osif.8673

osif.8673

Can anyone link a video showing actual WvWvW tactics—trap placement, which bases to hit and how, proper use of siege and how to protect them, etc?

I can’t wait for dueling to be implemented so roamers become a thing of the past.

Someone get killed by a roamer while running to their zerg? Bitter little skilless zerger, don’t be so angwy.

Miller Time – 80 Sylvari Mesmer
Not Just A Goodtime – 80 Asura Warrior
[PAXA]

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

There’s lots of ways to contribute to WvW. Roaming is one of those ways. WvW is multifaceted.

A guide to that sort of thing you’re asking for would be pretty big. I don’t know of one. Most of what I know just comes from doing and seeing.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Parthis.2091

Parthis.2091

You don’t need actual tactics to place a trap (pro-tip; place it where you know they’ll step on it), you don’t need actual tactics to know which bases to hit and how (pro-tip; hit the ones you don’t own, face rub the gate with 100 1-spammers and that guy who built the ram out of range), you don’t need tactics for proper use of siege.

While I appreciate that the majority of videos you see are roamers and guild fights, you need to appreciate that WvW isn’t actually that complicated and that if it had more depth, scope, ambition and a layered, interesting design, we “guilds” would have more to do than roaming… because here’s another revelation… after 8 months of WvW, we actually want it to get better too.

In 8 months we’ve gained WXP (which broke things) and siege buffing trait lines. 8 months.

8 months.

As it stands now the meta is’ biggest blob wins.

So the fun? Destroying the blob.

Commander Amayasu Gerani, Guardian.
Leader of [JDGE] on Gandara EU.
A GW2 API for Objective-C – http://tinyurl.com/durmandpriory

(edited by Parthis.2091)

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

A small set of roamers can easily keep 3-4 camps flipped on a map which bang for the player buck is better than most zergs. 5 players grabbing 5 points is better than 100 grabbing 15.

They also kill dolyaks which starve supply and directly contributes points to the score.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Jscull.2514

Jscull.2514

You don’t need actual tactics to place a trap (pro-tip; place it where you know they’ll step on it), you don’t need actual tactics to know which bases to hit and how (pro-tip; hit the ones you don’t own, face rub the gate with 100 1-spammers and that guy who built the ram out of range), you don’t need tactics for proper use of siege.

While I appreciate that the majority of videos you see are roamers and guild fights, you need to appreciate that WvW isn’t actually that complicated.

As it stands now the meta is’ biggest blob wins.

So the fun? Destroying the blob.

I agree. Problem is running with 20 guildies (even when fighting 40-50 blobs) isn’t really that hardcore either. You are still relying on 19 other people. The less people relied upon in fights…. The faster the personal skill level increases. Not rocket science.

PAXA -GM

in WvW

Posted by: peter.9024

peter.9024

Roaming is pretty much the only thing I do..

Skullclamp

in WvW

Posted by: Sororita.3465

Sororita.3465

Did you know that sentry capping, yak killing and all those non-ppt things that give points are worth about 25% of the total score?

Commander Starlight Honeybuns[BUNS]
Timelord to Lillium Honeybuns, IoJ
Forever together, or not at all.

in WvW

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

Last night and the night before in EB a single thief kept both TC’s keep and SM perma-contested, killed all the yaks going to EB from (and flipped both supply camps) TC’s side multiple times for hours at a time.

Does it get boring? Yes. Does it help your side when you’re getting roflstomped? Yup.

“Roaming” solo can be a way to pull 10x the weight of a zergling. But you have to do it with purpose and tenacity.

in WvW

Posted by: Radwulf.3902

Radwulf.3902

This is a game for roaming. At least the maps seems to be designed for that. If Anet wants ubermegabig blobs, I mean armies, we were being fighting in flat giant lonely lands.

Radwulf, warrior of Hispania. Roaming borderlands since BWE

http://www.comunidadhispania.com [HSPN] Gandalf… GANDARA

in WvW

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

Roamers do tons of things for their servers. They’re scouts who can report on enemy movement, disrupt reinforcements trying to get back to their zerg, contest towers, flip sentries (scores points and makes the enemy wonder if your zerg is there), flip camps and kill yaks to supply starve the opponent, etc.

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

in WvW

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

roaming videos are kinda boring to watch though, i’d rather do the roaming myself than watch a video on it. zerging videos can be more exciting to watch.

All is vain.

in WvW

Posted by: Doyen.7063

Doyen.7063

You are perhaps the most ignorant person I have yet to read on these forums, and I have read alot.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Many roamers look at zergs as a game meta evil and think the game as a whole would be better off without that dynamic. Piling dozens of people into a group to take one objective is inefficient and lets be honest… there is skill in the strategy of the zerg but the individual becomes a mindless drone pounding keys like a monkey would.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

A good roamer or roaming team can generate as many points as a zerg per tick if they know what they are doing, and it doesn’t take a lot of effort.

Videos of killing unexpecting players, uplevels, or people in zerg specs aren’t impressive, I’ll give you that, but roaming absolutely accomplishes a lot for your server.

in WvW

Posted by: Grackleflint.4956

Grackleflint.4956

Clarification: To me, roaming = small fights or 1v1s/1vXs MILES away from anything that matters. It’s glorified dueling. You can now make sPVP maps for this purpose, so the only reason to do it in WvW is to grief, kitten stroke, etc.

I appreciate small groups that hit Dolyaks and camps, and take care of other small scale objectives. Please don’t misunderstand me. To me that’s not roaming. That’s playing WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Chiolas.1326

Chiolas.1326

lets be honest… there is skill in the strategy of the zerg but the individual becomes a mindless drone pounding keys like a monkey would.

It depends on the person, many use their skills to actually make the zerg survive, to kill the enemy first, to zone him, to debuff him or to crush his morale. If all you do in a zerg is mash buttons in a random order I’m sorry to inform you that you are an average player

It’s true that some people don’t think while they zerg and just mash buttons, but the majority actually cares and uses their skills and dodges at an appropriate time… well, at least on my server, but then again usually our pug zergs roflstomp the enemy pug zergs so bad example :P

Quit WvW and Gw2 in August 2013

in WvW

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

What do you gain from towers and keeps? Rewards? No.

normally, no, not many rewards from that. But sometimes, if the match is pretty much determined 24 hours before the reset, you get the “karma train” zergs which run around capturing everything and never defending.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

in WvW

Posted by: nirvana.8245

nirvana.8245

A good roamer or roaming team can generate as many points as a zerg per tick if they know what they are doing, and it doesn’t take a lot of effort.

Videos of killing unexpecting players, uplevels, or people in zerg specs aren’t impressive, I’ll give you that, but roaming absolutely accomplishes a lot for your server.

There are times where I am generating more PPT to my server than my entire server.

in WvW

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

Depends on what you do while roaming..killing random people? Probably not super beneficial. Killing those people while they are trying to return to a big fight, very helpful. Killing doylaks, very helpful.

Personally I’ve roamed between supply camps attacking doylaks. Very tough to get in and get out with 5 people guarding it but it tests your skill and that is helpful in the long run.

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

in WvW

Posted by: Pendragon.8735

Pendragon.8735

It’s not a good roaming game, because the professions are not balanced for roaming. About 3 classes are vastly more effective at it.

You can go against the grain with something else, but its with a hand tied behind your back and much more challenging.

in WvW

Posted by: Boulderbolg.3460

Boulderbolg.3460

Lol @ this thread. You guys have my day, thank you.

I leave you with a RIOT roaming video:

GL for Team Riot [RIOT] on Blackgate NA – Small Group WvW Focused
http://teamriot.org/riot-media/videos/http://www.twitch.tv/teamriottv

in WvW

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

Roamers do tons of things for their servers. They’re scouts who can report on enemy movement, disrupt reinforcements trying to get back to their zerg, contest towers, flip sentries (scores points and makes the enemy wonder if your zerg is there), flip camps and kill yaks to supply starve the opponent, etc.

None of which is as profitable as zerging and requires more skill to boot.

in WvW

Posted by: osif.8673

osif.8673

Here’s a video of zerging that you want. Notice how exciting it is, like watching a chicken with its head cut off. The high level play of keyboard turning and ability clicking. The coordination of throwing down a combo field and watching people accidentally activating it because, oh hey, there’s 20 other people around you spamming buttons in the general area. So competitive, so enthralling, so skilled.

Miller Time – 80 Sylvari Mesmer
Not Just A Goodtime – 80 Asura Warrior
[PAXA]

in WvW

Posted by: Kadj.6725

Kadj.6725

I roam. I get more kills roaming than in a zerg. I’ve protected more towers than a zerg via announcing enemy movements. I’ve wasted enemy supply with supply traps, forcing enemies to scratch their heads over why their ram isn’t getting built, and thus stalling while they run back to the camp. I’ve thinned the numbers of the enemy by sniping stragglers.

When a big fight happens, I join the zerg briefly, sometimes organize quick portal strikes to knock down siege and sometimes facilitate movement from the lines to supply camps… but then I go back to roaming and scouting, because big fights are when small groups can do the most damage to unprotected towers.

Ignoring the people skilled enough to flip camps solo and flipping sentries, roamers are very important to the points per tick – if the commanders are using them right. There’s nothing that can be done if a commander looks at someone in /team saying “20 enemies at durios” and dismisses it because LOL STONEMIST, but a smart commander will use announcements from a couple roamers/scouts to not only perform a good defense, but also create the illusion that they are not outmanned when they really are.

Winning is not always about direct contribution. Besides, a zerg will probably get the same points per tick whether I’m contributing or not. After a certain point, additional players added to a zerg’s size is a negligible increase in damage and options.

in WvW

Boulderbolg.3460

Here’s a video of zerging that you want. Notice how exciting it is, like watching a chicken with its head cut off. The high level play of keyboard turning and ability clicking. The coordination of throwing down a combo field and watching people accidentally activating it because, oh hey, there’s 20 other people around you spamming buttons in the general area. So competitive, so enthralling, so skilled.

OMG that 1 spam!

in WvW

Posted by: Omnitek.3876

Omnitek.3876

I don’t watch your videos, but if you make me a highlight video of every single time you guys have killed Mindtrick, I will love you forever. Sometimes I am there as well, but please hunt him more for me.

Thanks

A L T S
Skritt Happens

in WvW

Posted by: CyrusRiffs.4376

CyrusRiffs.4376

But then how would I 1vX and kill you and your buddies?

Roaming’s fun for 1vX, dueling’s fun for dueling.

Bloody Pirates [YARR]
Gandara [EU]

in WvW

Boulderbolg.3460

I don’t watch your videos, but if you make me a highlight video of every single time you guys have killed Mindtrick, I will love you forever. Sometimes I am there as well, but please hunt him more for me.

Thanks

Ah man, I went back to go find some clips on his stream and the videos are gone. Sorry.

in WvW

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

Dont really know what I am talking about but

24 hrs x 4 ticks/hr x 7 days x 18 camps x 5? points per camp = a heap of points or about 80,000 points. Not fair to dismiss those people capping camps.

Edit.. unless they are dirty thieves!

in WvW

Posted by: Gully.7358

Gully.7358

We’ll roam you to death…

Veretta • Guildleader of [oPP] Over Powered PeopleBlackgate
http://www.gw2opp.comhttp://www.youtube.com/user/oppveretta

in WvW

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

Roaming is the game mode with the least profit per time, the most skill required, and also the most points per player contribution. You should be begging us all to roam for you.

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: Sunflowers.1729

Sunflowers.1729

I once posted this in the Thief forum, but all of them insisted that roaming was still useless (I’ve since learnt to take everything they said with a massive grain of salt). Here is what I said:

Your server is outnumbered: would you rather your 30v50 fight become 31v50 – still a likely loss – or make sure (by following their zerg around) the fight never happens in the first place?

in WvW

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Dueling is implemented, theres a lot of custom arenas in PvP strictly for dueling.

Unfortunately grieving isn’t implemented in pvp, that’s only in wvw when a straggler runs into a camper’s area. Thieves don’t take kindly to trespassing, grieving you is your toll.

in WvW

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Dueling is implemented, theres a lot of custom arenas in PvP strictly for dueling.

Unfortunately grieving isn’t implemented in pvp, that’s only in wvw when a straggler runs into a camper’s area. Thieves don’t take kindly to trespassing, grieving you is your toll.

Because ten zerger monkeys chasing that 1 upscale half the map is better.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in WvW

Posted by: Norelation.3067

Norelation.3067

People seem to be bashing skilled group play here. Roaming has it’s place. Scouting has it’s place. It’s quite vital to take camps at the 5 minute count, roamers can accomplish this better than larger groups.
The point of WvW is to show SERVER cooperation. It’s not about physical rewards. It also takes massive amounts of skill to zerg versus zerg, it’s a science. Look at the huge WvW guilds from TC, BG, SOS, FA. The only time one of these groups goes PVDoor is when they don’t have supply, they’re on a paper keep and they want to save supply for the inner. 40+ people all cooperating and coordinating their efforts as one is a pretty kitten accomplishment, don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.
If you’re insulting the huge groups of militias who are unorganized, even they have their place. I can’t count how many times a militia has come behind an enemy zerg that’s gotten the drop on my guild and helped us win the fight.

(edited by Norelation.3067)

in WvW

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

^ this.

Also, there’s only room for a certain amount of roamers per map. 6 supply camps; 2 yaks per camp every so often… if you want to play solo or in a small group… then if a lot of people are doing that, you either magically turn into a large group, or all have very little to do most of the time. Roaming and havoc teams are extremely valuable, but they’re only one side of the WvW coin. The other side is the large group (‘zerg’ if i have to call it that), which is able to take towers and keeps, and is able to defeat large groups of enemy players. Either style of play on its own is massively less effective than both combined.

in WvW

Daendur.2357

If I want to do PvE I’ll go PvE … WvW should be something different, I think.
Roaming is done to find other ppl … if we take a camp it’s done in the hope someone will come to take it back…
Lots of times we go hit the doors just to make the swords appear and make some ppl to come …
I personally don’t care if my server wins or loses… I just want to kill ppl.

in WvW

Posted by: Haltair.3062

Haltair.3062

Besides “roaming” itself a roaming guild should perform other tactical actions:

http://youtu.be/IQSYTLIdSDU
http://youtu.be/WmFyfJLTrac
http://youtu.be/nXJCG7msTnc
And others…

Roaming is more than alive in good hands.

Best,

Haltair, one of the Twelve Shadows

Haltair, One of the Twelve Shadows
Baruch Bay´s Thieves Brotherhood, Order of Shadows
Orden de Sombras [OdS]

(edited by Haltair.3062)

in WvW

Posted by: White Raven.4368

White Raven.4368

If you only have one zerg and nothing else watch your entire map turn into enemy colours.Your intel is coming from many eyes from only one position.

You need a mix,large,squad,and single scouts on the map.

Desolation [LOST]Lost in Socks Guild.

in WvW

Posted by: noobftw.9654

noobftw.9654

roamer give eyes to the zerg. Any zerg without roamer is a wiped zerg.

in WvW

Posted by: Hell Avenger.7021

Hell Avenger.7021

Oh please, most roamers are just there to kill unexpecting players. flipping camps are not their main goal, it is to attract players to come to them. I am on BG server, we have scouts and organized groups that tackle WVW.

in WvW

Daendur.2357

How flipping camps or kill guards can be a main goal ?
It obviously is just a way to say “hey, we are here… come!”
Too bad there is no way to know how many ppl are attacking a camp, if it’s just 1 or a party or 3 parties…
If a camp/tower/keep is claimed by a guild the guild must receive a message of “xx enemies are attacking your camp/tower/keep”.

in WvW

Posted by: Lanimal.6541

Lanimal.6541

Here you go…

http://tcgw2.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1091

Guide for offensive havoc (roaming)

Theongreyjoy
[VoTF] www.votf.net