Running away from duels

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

As I said, you can bring your code of honor. Just don’t expect it from the opposition. Sometimes you meet another “honorable” person and fight 1v1 to the death, but you don’t get to complain if the other player “abuses” all possible mechanics in the game just to kill you, including running and resetting the fight, getting friends, etc.

It’s a voluntary handicap for you – not some set rule that you can enforce on others.

But from a personal point of view, I usually do engage 1v1 if I see a roamer ankitten ot going somewhere in a hurry. If the fight looks like there is no chance in hell I can win, I’ll run. Some builds just counter others to the point the other player has to make a huge mistake to lose and in many cases it’s impossible to see what build the player is running before engaging.

There is also player skill, of course. When on my warrior I will usually get destroyed by good thieves and mesmers. Should I then not engage thieves and mesmers at all?

As I said before, if you want to duel “honorably”, go to the arena in OS. If you want to roam and kill ppl 1v1, bring a build that can catch runners. Simple as that.

One – Piken Square

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

I just adore these cartoon video game “gladiators” that always fight to the end, never flee and die “honorably”. ROFL

Trust me, it’s a load of crap.

Basically what you have are some classes that cannot as easily disengage and escape from a fight than other classes. This does not make these classes bad, as they may have many other very strong abilities that greatly outshine other classes in different game modes. However, if the player of these classes likes to solo roam in WvW, but is also one of these thin-skinned tantrum throwing types that demand that the world adjusts to their gameplay style, and everyone else be dammed – then you get these whiney QQ posts in the forums. And believe me, 9 out 10 of all these please nerf Thieves and Warriors thread starters could give a rats-behind about “balance”, the real issue is their wounded adolescent E-pride.

The bottom line is that WvW is an open PvP field that already has its rules of what you can, and cannot do. And sorry, but neither you nor I get to “invent” rules by which others must “behave/play” in WvW, no matter how many frustrated tantrums you throw when things don’t go your way. But you can at least take solace in one thing, you are not alone – because if you go visit the WvW forums of nearly every single MMO, you will notice the exact same whine/QQ tantrums being thrown as the ones on our forums. And the tantrums are being thrown by the exact same type of player: the terri-bad solo roamer that adores 1v1s, but unfortunately, they really suck at it, so they scream and whine for nerfs and game mechanics changes in hopes that mommy and daddy Anet will punishes their “bullies”.

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Ision.3207)

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Alex.9268

Alex.9268

I just adore these cartoon video game “gladiators” that always fight to the end, never flee and die “honorably”. ROFL

Basically what you have are some classes that cannot as easily disengage and escape from a fight than other classes. This does not make these classes bad, as they may have many other very strong abilities that greatly outshine other classes in different game modes. However, if the player of these classes likes to solo roam in WvW, but is also one of these thin-skinned tantrum throwing types that demand that the world adjusts to their gameplay style, and everyone else be dammed – then you get these whiney QQ posts in the forums. And believe me, 9 out 10 of all these please nerf Thieves and Warriors thread starters could give a rats-behind about “balance”, the real issue is their wounded adolescent E-pride.

The bottom line is that WvW is an open PvP field that already has its rules of what you can, and cannot do. And sorry, but neither you nor I get to “invent” rules by which others must “behave/play” in WvW, no matter how many frustrated tantrums you throw when things don’t go your way. But you can at least take solace in one thing, you are not alone – because if you go visit the WvW forums of nearly every single MMO, you will notice the exact same whine/QQ tantrums being thrown as the ones on our forums. And the tantrums are being thrown by the exact same type of player: the terri-bad solo roamer that adores 1v1s, but unfortunately, they really suck at it, so they scream and whine for nerfs and game mechanics changes in hopes that mommy and daddy Anet will punishes their “bullies”.

The QQ and projection is real in this one lol

Running away from duels

in WvW

Alex.9268

As I said, you can bring your code of honor. Just don’t expect it from the opposition. Sometimes you meet another “honorable” person and fight 1v1 to the death, but you don’t get to complain if the other player “abuses” all possible mechanics in the game just to kill you, including running and resetting the fight, getting friends, etc.

It’s a voluntary handicap for you – not some set rule that you can enforce on others.

But from a personal point of view, I usually do engage 1v1 if I see a roamer ankitten ot going somewhere in a hurry. If the fight looks like there is no chance in hell I can win, I’ll run. Some builds just counter others to the point the other player has to make a huge mistake to lose and in many cases it’s impossible to see what build the player is running before engaging.

There is also player skill, of course. When on my warrior I will usually get destroyed by good thieves and mesmers. Should I then not engage thieves and mesmers at all?

As I said before, if you want to duel “honorably”, go to the arena in OS. If you want to roam and kill ppl 1v1, bring a build that can catch runners. Simple as that.

You seem hellbent on arguing semantics because I used the word “duel” and “honor”. Commons sense and decency in 1vs1 situations is all I am trying to discuss here, can you work with that without stumbling over the language?

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

I don’t run from 1v1s personally once it’s started, typically. A lot of people seem to run, especially warriors. If I’m on a power build, I usually give chase; if condi, I don’t bother. Some of them do emotes after their escape. That’s fine. If they don’t want to fight, or learn how to do so better, that’s up to them.

I sometimes run before a fight has begun, if I see a thief with fifty billion boons and stacks or something and I’m not running conditions. Being instagibbed used to bother me, until I realized that I have killed plenty of guardians and warriors who drowned in a sea of conditions trying to kill me or thrashing about at my clones. For everyone there is someone who can kill them just as there is someone they can kill. Thieves kill me, I kill guardians, guardians kill rangers, and rangers kill skritts and centaurs.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

The “code of honor” only applies if both parties agree to it.

So yes, if it’s a “proper” 1v1 with /bow and all that jazz, then the loser should accept his defeat and running away from those is kind of in poor taste.

Other than that, screw your rules. If I run away into my zerg and roll over you, I won because I live and you died. I never wanted to 1v1 you the first place, so don’t expect it from me. Never assume people will play by your rules and then whine when they don’t.

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

While I do agree that people, sometimes myself as well, take the staying until the end of the fight a bit seriously, you make it sound as though running is something to be proud of. No one here has said anything about bullies, nerf this or that, only questioning why someone would run when they have nothing to gain but knowledge. If you want to run and emote from afar all the power to you. Just know that from the other end all we’re doing is face palming.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Running away from duels

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many cowards in this thread, lmfao. So many, omg.

You can try to justify your cowardice all you want, you’re still a sissy. There’s a difference between not engaging and avoiding a fight all together and attacking someone then running when things aren’t playing in your favor. It’s one thing to run off from a 1v1 but it’s a whole other to run from a duel where a /bow took place beforehand. Running from a 1v1 is a lot more acceptable but I still will never understand the logic behind it. As soon as you turn your back you’re incredibly vulnerable and basically giving your opponent free shots on you. Staying until the end is the best way to prevent dying because anything can happen in that last 10%< of your health. Your own zerg could run through, someone else could join to help you out, your enemy could make a critical mistake, you’ll never know if you’re always running off when things look bad.
If you’re not spec’d for 1v1’s, don’t engage. If you think WvW is unfair, why are you there? So you can run and claim WvW is unbalanced, or so you can win and claim your opponent was bad when for all you know they’re not spec’d for 1v1’s either…
There are always two sides to the story. Running does not = win, it means you forfeit and your opponent will very likely be a lot less kind to you if they see you a second time.

You can try to bring your own codes of honor and whatnot into WvW, but don’t expect your opponent to follow them.

An opponent that runs from you and comes back to kill you 3v1 still wins and you lose, end of story

I do agree that rules cannot, and should not, be forced upon someone. I haven’t stated that anyone abide by my terms of combat. I’m just stating that running from a fight means only that you’ve forfeit whether you want to accept that or not. Denying that you’ve thrown in the towel because you’re too scared to bruise your morale won’t stop the person you’ve fled from from thinking you’re a chicken.
As for coming back with multiple people and still claiming you’ve won… Yeah if you want to play that way you’ve won the fight no doubt, but I can’t fathom how it must feel knowing that you need help to bring one person down. All that says is that you’re bad and instead of accepting a chance to get better you’ve brought people to fight your battle for you.

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Wow at people in this thread desperately trying to justify their cowardice.
If you engage a 1v1 and then you run away, you’re a coward. Period. Fight and die like a man.
I recently had this warrior that saw me with like 30% hp left and decided to attack me, thinking I was an easy kill. After 30 seconds of battle I was back to full health, while he was dropped to like 20%, when he decided to flee. I /laughed so hard at him.

Ikr? How long does it really take you to get your stacks back… If you’re a zergling it can’t take you any longer than 5 minutes. I know because I participate in all roles of WvW, with roaming/scouting being my primary focus. If I die during a roaming encounter, I merge with the zerg for 5 minutes to get my stacks back and voila… Other than losing stacks what can possibly be the problem with losing a fight? Armor repairs cost nothing and failure is a great way to learn. Not only that, a lot can change in a fight even if you’re very low health. I’ve won fights with 10%< health many, many times that I otherwise (if I were even able to run, being that I roam as a Necro) wouldn’t have if I decided to flee. Turning your back and hauling kitten is literally the best way to get yourself killed unless you catch your opponent off guard with it. You’re better off either not engaging at all or staying until only one of you are standing.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with not engaging someone. If you’re scouting, trying to get back to your zerg, or something of that nature, you don’t need to fight. But initiating an attack or responding to an attack and running when things look bad is just an unwillingness to learn from your mistakes. Take every death as a way to improve yourself. If you’re not spec’d for 1v1’s, don’t blame your opponent for not knowing. Also, being in a fight where you are clearly at a disadvantage is a great way to get better. Because when you’re using a build that’s meant for small scale battles it’ll feel a whole lot easier.

Anyway, I agree Fhaeris… Read through a lot of these comments and it’s no wonder so many people run… God forbid their pixelized self dies and they have to make a 60 second journey across the map with absolutely no consequences from dying.

Except with Bloodlust you’re giving the other team a point.

Before Bloodlust I’d gladly take on someone in open field 1v1 and stay and die. Or sacrifice my body for the good of the team to kill a piece of siege or something. Not now. Why give the other team a free point?

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

agreed 100%. The real roamers have a code and respect the code but never expect other to follow their code. I often let upleveled players live but if they join a zerg and roll me right after I let them live it’s my own fault. I can’t expect him to know or fight with what I consider as honor. On the other hand once some one start sending me QQ tells it’s game on There are few things I love more in a game than to drive QQers into raging.

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

Thanks Mogar.

I main an Engi, so trust me, my ability to disengage and/or escape from fights is very limited compared to other classes. And as a dedicated solo/small group roamer, I can assure you that a great number of my “1v1s” end in the other player disengaging. To which I say, SO WHAT – because it is absolutely none of my business how others choose to play. But more importantly, it would be beyond ridiculous and childish for me to pronounce a person “a coward” due to how they play in a cartoon video game. That sort of E- P – eening is for overweight virgins with too much gaming time, and not enough study time.

But it is, what it is …

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Ision.3207)

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Jong.5937

Jong.5937

As for coming back with multiple people and still claiming you’ve won… Yeah if you want to play that way you’ve won the fight no doubt, but I can’t fathom how it must feel knowing that you need help to bring one person down. All that says is that you’re bad and instead of accepting a chance to get better you’ve brought people to fight your battle for you.

You clearly don’t understand the game mode you are in:

- WvW is a team game

- WvW, whether we like it or not, is LARGELY about organising bigger numbers in order to win. True, there are epic fights to be had where an organised group defeats a much larger blob, but with equal organisation, especially over the week, bigger numbers, well organised, win.

- to repeat myself, yet again, this is not 1v1 PVP. Many, many in WvW spec their builds for very different things than duelling. If you beat one of these guys as a zerker roamer you are fooling yourself if you think you are some 1v1 duelling god.

- to give but one example, if I duck out of a tower and hold off a pesky thief who I am self-aware enough to know I would NEVER kill, long enough to get a doly home, then dive back into my tower ready to scout/man siege, that is not cowardice. Dying and leaving the tower unprotected would be the shameful thing and letting the doly die would be cowardice.

- if a support guard (for example) holds that thief up long enough for others to come and “discourage” him from continuing to molest our dolys, again, good job done. No shame there.

So, PLEASE, think about the game when making these ridiculous comments. If you want to play others, spec’d equally well for 1v1, and glory in your victory if your superb skill wins out, choose a different game. WvW is not the place for you.

NB: I am not trashing the role of thieves in WvW. Harassing the supply lines (for example) is a good, honourable job. Just don’t take every victory as proof of your leet skills plz!

Piken Square

(edited by Jong.5937)

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Because “walking away” is the only way you beat PU Mesmers (i.E. all Mesmers).

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

no bag, no win. allowing the enemy to get away before you kill them means that you lost, are weak and inexperienced.

Tell that to the GS warriors and their whirlwind, rush, bull’s charge “you’ll never catch me” combo. Unless you’re a GS warrior yourself or a thief, it’s likely that you will never catch him, no matter how good you think you are

warriors and thieves pfft… my ranger catches all targets with his amazingly deadly arrows and mighty pets! no one gets away from my unparalleled archer lol!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Rudy.6184

Rudy.6184

I got really not nice situation, that even for a “roamer not fair fighter” is just abuse (i like fair duels btw). I was roaming on the Fort Ranik bornderlands and there was thief who wanted to fight with me so badly. As an dd ele vs dagger pistol thief it is quite easy to win with, but cannot kill cause of stealth. After few minutes of duel he invited me to party to talk about class etc. and after that we split up but being still at a party, he brought his burst friend and killed me while typing to him. I know war is war but…. Also the subject with ppl camping on obsidian sanctum jumping puzzle. For me it is just enormous coward act which is happening all the time. This makes me leave the game / wvw.

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

He who fights to the death, knowing he will lose, is a fool and only benefits his opponent’s ego. He who escapes and defeats his opponent when he has the advantage over him is a tactician and is capable of winning more than just a duel.

Like others have said, do not expect people to foolishly fight to the death in a losing battle, if it is not an agreed 1v1 fight in a designated area. There is much more to WvW then dueling.

If on the other hand it is an arranged fight, in a designated area, then yes, they are a coward for running.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

(edited by Rin.1046)

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

Each player plays to their own internal ruleset, not your ruleset.

While I choose not to interupt fights in Obsidian sanctum.

Elsewhere, I reserve the right to intervene, watch, run, engage, stomp or die at my own discretion.

See you on the battlegrounds, play anyway you wish, I can adapt.

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Biggusbiggus.5789

Biggusbiggus.5789

If I have someone run away from me in a 1v1, then I consider that I have failed. It means that I was unable to pin them down, and kill them. You could quite easily take other positions on this (win by forfeit/stalemate/robbed of a kill/unworthy opponent), but at the end of the day, if he’s not dead, it’s because you couldn’t kill him.
I had a glorious turn-around on a runner last night – some button mashing warrior. He ran away from me up the hill in front of Anza. It was at this time that he whispered me with a bit of trash talk “Noob, blah, blah, blah… Can’t run, etc” I usually ignore these PMs completely, but this guy sounded like he was 9, and in need of some education. I guess he didn’t expect me to run around the entire hill, and hit him from the other side. Plenty of time out of combat for a weapon switch, quick armour change and tweaking a couple of traits (love that, btw). My PM to him, shortly after “Noob here, p***ing on your corpse.” He disappears, stops responding completely, and quits out of the game.
No gloating. Especially if you run.

Running away from duels

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

You clearly don’t understand the game mode you are in:

- WvW is a team game

- WvW, whether we like it or not, is LARGELY about organising bigger numbers in order to win. True, there are epic fights to be had where an organised group defeats a much larger blob, but with equal organisation, especially over the week, bigger numbers, well organised, win.

- to repeat myself, yet again, this is not 1v1 PVP. Many, many in WvW spec their builds for very different things than duelling. If you beat one of these guys as a zerker roamer you are fooling yourself if you think you are some 1v1 duelling god.

- to give but one example, if I duck out of a tower and hold off a pesky thief who I am self-aware enough to know I would NEVER kill, long enough to get a doly home, then dive back into my tower ready to scout/man siege, that is not cowardice. Dying and leaving the tower unprotected would be the shameful thing and letting the doly die would be cowardice.

- if a support guard (for example) holds that thief up long enough for others to come and “discourage” him from continuing to molest our dolys, again, good job done. No shame there.

So, PLEASE, think about the game when making these ridiculous comments. If you want to play others, spec’d equally well for 1v1, and glory in your victory if your superb skill wins out, choose a different game. WvW is not the place for you.

NB: I am not trashing the role of thieves in WvW. Harassing the supply lines (for example) is a good, honourable job. Just don’t take every victory as proof of your leet skills plz!

I have never stated anywhere that I think I’m “leet.” Infact I don’t think I’m anything above average. Although you are right WvW is a team environment, what I’m saying is that people who need to call for help when they’re being attacked just so they can jump on your corpse are pathetic… As I’ve already said, you can’t blame me, or anyone else for being spec’d for 1v1’s anymore than I can blame you for not being spec’d for a 1v1. If you want to run from a fight go ahead… But why would you engage in the first place if you know you can’t, or may not even have a chance, to win? I don’t get it… It’s like being a feeble old man who decides he wants to stop a raging bull. Why get in it’s way and try to stop it just so you can run off and blame the bull for charging at you?

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Reikan.2908

Reikan.2908

Another point: having to walk all the way back to where you were isnt fun for anyone

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Just to add that we play this game so as to be entertained. People suggest it somehow an exercise in bravery or “manhood” are off the mark.

If you want bravery look to a person who rushes into a blazing inferno to rescue people caught in the flames. Rushing a toon into battle is not “bravery”

As entertainment , every person has his or her reasons for playing this game. Some want the 1 v 1 duels and the fight to the better end. Some want to roam in zergs and go castle to castle gaining karma and bags. Some want to see how long they can last and how many they can kill without getting killed themselves.

Some like siegeing up towers. Some like flipping camps. Some like the PPT system and some only want to have 5 on 5 fights. Some like all of that and more.

My own preference is fights of about 10 aside as i find them much more dynamic then one on ones but that hardly means I should expect a larger group of 20 that comes upon our group of ten to sit 10 people out.

If a person has to ask “why would you just sit in a tower to man arrow carts and not come out to fight” or “why would you start a 1v1 and then flee when you realize you can not win” then those people are unable to grasp that OTHERS are not here for the same reasons and their own reasons for why they do anything in the game can not be forced upon them.

As long as it not hacking or exploits it should be acceptable.

What makes games such as this successful is they allow people to play “their way”. As soon as that play is restricted , be it these “codes of honor and though must not run away type rules” or “Your build is cheese and should not be allowed” then the game will cater to a ever smaller niche of players and ultimately fail.

Roaming around and coming on a person who flees a battle half way through is preferable to roaming around and finding no body.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Just to add that we play this game so as to be entertained. People suggest it somehow an exercise in bravery or “manhood” are off the mark.

If you want bravery look to a person who rushes into a blazing inferno to rescue people caught in the flames. Rushing a toon into battle is not “bravery”

As entertainment , every person has his or her reasons for playing this game. Some want the 1 v 1 duels and the fight to the better end. Some want to roam in zergs and go castle to castle gaining karma and bags. Some want to see how long they can last and how many they can kill without getting killed themselves.

Some like siegeing up towers. Some like flipping camps. Some like the PPT system and some only want to have 5 on 5 fights. Some like all of that and more.

My own preference is fights of about 10 aside as i find them much more dynamic then one on ones but that hardly means I should expect a larger group of 20 that comes upon our group of ten to sit 10 people out.

If a person has to ask “why would you just sit in a tower to man arrow carts and not come out to fight” or “why would you start a 1v1 and then flee when you realize you can not win” then those people are unable to grasp that OTHERS are not here for the same reasons and their own reasons for why they do anything in the game can not be forced upon them.

As long as it not hacking or exploits it should be acceptable.

What makes games such as this successful is they allow people to play “their way”. As soon as that play is restricted , be it these “codes of honor and though must not run away type rules” or “Your build is cheese and should not be allowed” then the game will cater to a ever smaller niche of players and ultimately fail.

Roaming around and coming on a person who flees a battle half way through is preferable to roaming around and finding no body.

Very well said. I find, in general, there are some MMO people that are not really here to have fun like the rest of us. I play this game to relax and enjoy my “off” time. While I love the excitement that WvW brings as opposed to PvE, I’m still there to have FUN first and foremost. If I can learn something and get better at 1v1 or ZvZ at the same time, great. But ya, don’t expect everyone to play by your own set of imagined rules or what you consider to be honorable in a video game.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Turtle.4130

Turtle.4130

If anyone runs from me in a honor duel (Start with /bow, end with /bow, immediately disengage if the fight is interrupted on either side) I simply /shrug and just leave. For example, I was dueling a warrior in Rekz as a warrior myself, he was at <20% HP and I was at 90%+. In the latter half of the fight all he did was run around with his GS and do nothing but run since he was getting crushed. Garbage roamers and garbage duelists aren’t worth my time, just leave them be and let them contemplate rerolling their profession if they’re exhibiting characteristics such as this.

Running away from duels

in WvW

Jong.5937

I have never stated anywhere that I think I’m “leet.” Infact I don’t think I’m anything above average. Although you are right WvW is a team environment, what I’m saying is that people who need to call for help when they’re being attacked just so they can jump on your corpse are pathetic… As I’ve already said, you can’t blame me, or anyone else for being spec’d for 1v1’s anymore than I can blame you for not being spec’d for a 1v1. If you want to run from a fight go ahead… But why would you engage in the first place if you know you can’t, or may not even have a chance, to win? I don’t get it… It’s like being a feeble old man who decides he wants to stop a raging bull. Why get in it’s way and try to stop it just so you can run off and blame the bull for charging at you?

yeah, fair enough mate. I was not accusing you so much as the general tone of some of the posts here. I certainly don’t blame anyone for spec’ing for 1v1, as I said. But I do think saying it’s all about poor skills if someone loses to one who is is a bit rich! I think I gave one example, there are others, where someone who isn’t built to win a fight might still be brave or foolhardy enough to engage!

Piken Square

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Cowards? Scared? Seriously?

It’s a video game. You can’t be scared in a video game. You can’t be brave either, no matter how much you beat your virtual chest.

WvW is less scary than tennis. Being brave in WvW takes less courage than engaging in a Your-Momma-So-Fat contest.

Go out and get some fresh air people.

Running away from duels

in WvW

Jong.5937

It’s a video game. You can’t be scared in a video game. You can’t be brave either, no matter how much you beat your virtual chest.

WvW is less scary than tennis. Being brave in WvW takes less courage than engaging in a Your-Momma-So-Fat contest.

:D but you mostly don’t die playing tennis

Piken Square

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I’m pretty sure the people who have died playing tennis lead the score against people who have died playing videogames by a fair margin.

One – Piken Square

Running away from duels

in WvW

Jong.5937

I hope you realise I was not being serious

Although deep-vein thrombosis is a problem!

Piken Square

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

I don’t know, it depends on the situation.

1v1 etiquette as I see it

Planned – running not acceptable

I initiate it – they can run if they want, I expect some to, others won’t. Not like they asked to fight me.

They initiate it – they run, if I end up killing them I will corpse jump them, spam /laugh, keep an eye out for them in the future, repeat process if they run again.

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

Worth noting also that most that do run from 1v1s are zergbabies who have misplaced their zerg. This is true even if the person considers themselves a roamer, perhaps this is even when it is especially true.

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Running away from duels

in WvW

Alex.9268

On another note today I initiated on a SFR necro and after a while another necro from the same guild shows up to 2vs1 me. I disengage and they chase me for a small distance. I kinda linger and one of them comes to me while the other one stays behind watching. I fight one of them, all the way to the stomp, and the other necro doesn’t interfere at all. Then the other necro engages me and we fight. I bowed twice after that was over, respect.

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Kobi Beef.3895

Kobi Beef.3895

Kinda funny how people get worked up over “honor” “cowardice” and “courage” during a fight in a game. If someone runs away during one of your sacred duels, just go on with your day, leave the heroic talk to those that actually deserve it, have fun playing the game plz.

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Graendall.4765

Graendall.4765

If you wanna duel go to Obsidian Sanctum.
In WvW everything is permited.And someone doesn’t lose a fight until he/she is stomped.
He runs, he resets, he comes back and pwns you.He has won.
On the rare case that someone wants to be honorable just do the /bow but i think you all know you are bound to be interupted by enemies or allies.

Zancrow The Red-Elementalist of [ObV]Oblivion-Hardcore WvW guild
http://oblivion-guild.shivtr.com/
Server-Piken Square

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: pierwola.9602

pierwola.9602

“Losing is Part of the game”

Running away from duels

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I don’t know, it depends on the situation.

1v1 etiquette as I see it

Planned – running not acceptable

I initiate it – they can run if they want, I expect some to, others won’t. Not like they asked to fight me.

They initiate it – they run, if I end up killing them I will corpse jump them, spam /laugh, keep an eye out for them in the future, repeat process if they run again.

+1, said much better than I had failed to say it, lol. But this is almost exactly my train of thought in regards to 1vs1’s.

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

I’m pretty sure the people who have died playing tennis lead the score against people who have died playing videogames by a fair margin.

Well there was that Chinese guy who played for three days straight and had a heart attack. Like I said, it’s good to get some fresh air.

Running away from duels

in WvW

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Kinda funny how people get worked up over “honor” “cowardice” and “courage” during a fight in a game. If someone runs away during one of your sacred duels, just go on with your day, leave the heroic talk to those that actually deserve it, have fun playing the game plz.

Well said Kobi.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.