Scoring system revamp idea

in WvW

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

Hello,

I’ve came up with an idea of a new scoring system. It doesn’t involve big mess in mechanics or maps or whatever, but may provide more incentive to defend and allow objectives to grow.

It involves the PPT system, and changes the way points you earn are calculated. Points wouldn’t be directly linked to the objectives you own. Instead of this, each objectives (including sentinels) would create an area of influence around them. The highest tier your objective is, the biggest its area is. Then, points would be calculated as a function of area units a server owns.

By now, there isn’t much change compared to the current system indeed (providing they eventually implement the score per tier thing). Yet, the area system provides more functionnality. Here are some exemples (I’ll suppose I play for red server for examples purposes) :

Contiguous bonus
Supposing the whole home BL is red with all T0 objectives, the map would show red spots all around, but none would connect. Then, with increasing tiers, some would connect. Contiguous bonus makes the broadest area’s income double (map-wide). This would be an incentive for tactical take over of maps : defenders would try to make the biggest area to get max PPT, while attackers could try to “cut the bond” between areas. But it shouldn’t be so easy…

Disputed areas
Still on red map, we own bay, but green have briar. A red and a green area would come to collide. The result would be a “mixed” area that provides less points to red and green server.
Likewise, if in home BL, red owns garrison, towers and hills, making a nice connected area, and then green flips sawmill. That sawmill would be surronded by disputed area, hence providing less to score than a T0 camp surrounded by nothing.

Safe paths
If a camp and a tower’s area of influence are connected, then automatic speedy-dollies pop.

I’m sure there can be many more little things and mechanics to be imagined. It wouldn’t be a big revolution, but that surely would provide more tactics to think about, and things to do instead of blobfesting.

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

The highest tier your objective is, the biggest its area is. Then, points would be calculated as a function of area units a server owns.

Somewhat simpler version of such system is already being worked on.

Upgraded Objectives Score Higher

• Each tier of objective upgrade increases the amount of score per tick
  • The goal is to incentivize defending your upgraded objectives and assaulting opposing upgraded objectives

Source: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Let-s-Talk-Scoring

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

As I stated, an area system is close to the tier-sensitive points-per-objective system they’re working on.

Yet, an area system provides more room for side mechanics that would push the tactical part of WvW forward.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

Still need an adjustment for scoring when facing outmanned servers. Sounds interesting though.