Separate sub squad color

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Drastic.8920

Drastic.8920

Issue:

Current squad system displays blue dots on mini map for all under squad including sub squads.

Could we have a separate color scheme for sub squads? IE: if you are on X sub squad then color of members are white (arbitrary to illustrate point) while the remainder of the squads are blue.

FC: Remnant Militant [SNKY]

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Actually if you put your eye to your monitor and look really really really close you will notice that subsquads already have a slightly brighter shade of the same blue. Your name is also market by a border.

Whoever did the design of that made a spectacular failure and apparently never play the game or tested it in practice. Players noticed it in seconds (where is my squad, we’re all just blue!).

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Sadrien.3470

Sadrien.3470

Make it purple. Please anet, it will make my life so much easier.

Have fun. Be Alive. K Thnx Bye.

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I would be fine if parties were one color and squads another. Our party doesn’t join squads for this reason.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Jon Olson

Jon Olson

Programmer

Next

Subgroups and squadmates have different dots already. Though the difference is subtle. see attachment — subgroup is on the left

I’ll pass on the feedback to the team.

Attachments:

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Subgroups and squadmates have different dots already. Though the difference is subtle. see attachment — subgroup is on the left

aahahahhahahahahah

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: King Stinkeye.3560

King Stinkeye.3560

I never post here because… well why bother right? But I too felt the need to say hahahahhhahahaahahahah.

Man of Many Stinkeyes
[DAWN]

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

You guys need to hire proper testers for this stuff. Independent testers that are not afraid to talk back. Just look at post-hot wvw

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Fellfoot.8156

Fellfoot.8156

Why do I get the feeling I’m staring into the eyes of a frozen Groot when I look at that? I’m creeped out now.

Yes, please change the squad dots to some kind of hyper green or something? Thanks for passing it on

Edit: I can’t UNsee this, lol. My night is doomed, lol.
Edit2: Maybe it would be easier to see if there was a BLACK dot in the middle of the squad dots instead of a WHITE one?
Edit3: That’s still creeping me out, but I can’t stop looking at it. gg Jon Olson gg …

[AIR] Henge of Denravi aka Pink Abu, [BAMA] RollTide
chopping wood one day, dropped a piece,
all I could say was, “…fell…foot…”

(edited by Fellfoot.8156)

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

hi please make it anything but subtle

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Aerial Melodies.4938

Aerial Melodies.4938

It’s hard to tell the difference when it’s blown up to that size… now imagine trying to find the difference on a tiny mini map. There’s subtle and then there’s practically non-existent. That blue to blue ratio there is 100% the latter.

Ele for Hire

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

Since we’re here, can we have different colors for the names too?

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I can’t stop grinning.

But seriously though; I did in fact spot the almost-cannot-even-notice difference between the 2 blue dots; all this time I’ve been thinking “why are some dots the teensiest, tiniest bit different?”.

Now I know, and I think it would deem a wise decision to change the sub group color to something totally different. You know, so one can actually differentiate between the two? Maybe a nice bright purple/magenta would work.

Or they could just change the dot to a square if changing the color is too game breakingly-difficult.

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Chase.2798

Chase.2798

It would be nice to see either a color or shape change to make it easier to tell the difference…hard to see the difference while in combat

Big Papa Chase – Warrior and Guardian
Papa’s Lady Luck- Necro
(HELL)

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

the color blue looks cool guys
only it says “the player is in different instance of this map” looks

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: SloRules.3560

SloRules.3560

Also would be great to have names in seperate color too, so u know where your subsquad members are not just by minimap.

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

This is great! It’s difficult to see the difference in-game, though :/ could the contrast be increased, please?

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Paulie.6215

Paulie.6215

Thank you for the response, but did you actually reread that post before posting it?

There’s almost ZERO difference there….

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

Thank you coming on and posting.

Pleasantries out the way, have you joined a squad of let’s say 15 people and looked on your mini map and been able to tell the difference?

RP enthusiast

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Ephedrine.4521

Ephedrine.4521

Come on people it’s obvious the left is Sapphire blue and the right is royal blue geesh!!!

The Ephed’s of [TanK]
-FSP-

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Bury Your Deadgreen.2368

Bury Your Deadgreen.2368

You are kidding me with that color difference…. \<(o.0)>/ <—-confused asura.

Soon…..

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Thanks for passing the feedback on, though this feedback was one of the first things said when Squad UI rolled out. I can’t help but feel like there was a breakdown in the feedback chain.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Decado.9304

Decado.9304

ahahahahahahha someone thought this was a kittening good idea? “Subtle” yeah thats just what you need in a 3 way blob fight at 4 fps and your trying to decipher the minimapmess to find your party

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

10% of the male population has hereditary color blindness.
Primary colors… Most of them unused.

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Drastic.8920

Drastic.8920

Hi Jon,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, and I hope that the team will consider making this change as it will aid in organizing the current squad system.

FC: Remnant Militant [SNKY]

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Woop S.7851

Woop S.7851

Would something like this work? (Screenshot with explanation)

Note that this screenshot concept is a bit dated, but since lieutenants can now be assigned, would it make sense for them to have a mini tag? Even if it’s just a number, this way everyone within the “subgroup” can follow him/her incase the commander dies, the subgroup just rally to the lieutenant, and “subgroup colors” would make it easier for players to follow/clump together while having the correct range for “boon sharing”, otherwise it’s a sea of blue names on the screen.

Thanks Jon!
~Woop S

Attachments:

(edited by Woop S.7851)

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

ahahhaahahahahahhh HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHh

Sorry I too had to do it.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Krypto.2069

Krypto.2069

Note that this screenshot concept is a bit dated, but since lieutenants can now be assigned, would it make sense for them to have a mini tag? Even if it’s just a number, this way everyone within the “subgroup” can follow him/her incase the commander dies, the subgroup just rally to the lieutenant, and “subgroup colors” would make it easier for players to follow/clump together while having the correct range for “boon sharing”, otherwise it’s a sea of blue names on the screen.

Thanks Jon!
~Woop S

Wow, Woop S, that screen shot is just gorgeous! Especially the mini-map! (It’s about 500% better than the indiscernible sapphire vs royal blue dot design that we have now.)

Thank you!

Moonlight [THRU]

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: SloRules.3560

SloRules.3560

Thanks Jon!
~Woop S

This.

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: madpig.3615

madpig.3615

Thanks Jon!
~Woop S

Wow… seems like a perfect solution for me.

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Amon.3849

Amon.3849

Thanks Jon!
~Woop S

+1

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Thanks Jon!
~Woop S

They’re using yellow for guild so maybe orange would work for squad, but yes, I’d like a better way to differentiate my subsquad from my squad. When I say things like “Team 1 go to south camp”, I always get someone asking which team they are on. This is one of those annoying UI things that should be an easy fix like the hide/compact inventory bag thing. So what we need to do is find a popular streamer who can complain about it on their stream.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Woop S.7851

Yea, would be nice to be able to see team mates more easily in the subgroup, also curious about the new markers and whether it’s “squad visible” or “subgroup visible only”, guess we’ll see Tuesday

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Jon Olson

Previous

Jon Olson

Programmer

Yea, would be nice to be able to see team mates more easily in the subgroup, also curious about the new markers and whether it’s “squad visible” or “subgroup visible only”, guess we’ll see Tuesday

They are squad visible.

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

John’s quietly watching us ^^

Great work on screenshot :o

As for yellow, they are able to take a color too close to guild, or that wouldn’t be discernable on some monitors.

My preference would go to purple, like the tag.
this color is already in game and easy to make out.

The main problem is that it’s not as vivid as yellow.

As bacline sustain/emergency support, I would love to be able to manually differenciate subgroups – ex: nameplates of subgroup 1 are in yellow, nameplates of subgroup 2 are in purple, nameplates of subgroup 3 are in light blue, and so on. It is not as needed on minimap for my purpose (subgroup color on mini would be great, already), but when I see anyone in my sqad running low on health, I’d like to find that person as fast as possible to send them water field.
Many times, the few seconds trying to find that low-health player is enough for them to be downed…

I guess personnalized colors are way off the system’s capacity, thoug, so subgroup color would already be a great improvement.

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Woop S.7851

They are squad visible.

Woa, thanks Jon for the quick reply! Especially on a weekend :-O
Lookin’ forward to Tuesday!

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: DrMORO.4627

DrMORO.4627

Thanks Jon!
~Woop S

Brilliant idea! Love it!
ANet should redesign with this in mind. Tough now to tell the differences within the squad, with the present design subtleness.
I would just not use Yellow for sub-squad color, though… It does conflict with the Guildmate Yellow dot.
Maybe Orange? Or somewhat ‘opposite’ color?
Think also of those that cannot see red/green well. Something that will standout even in black & white monotone.
Changing the shape of the dot in the map to a small star/square/triangle?
Add a notable dot in the center of the dot, or outline the dot?
And yes, sub-squad leader should also have an extra leader tag above, with the sub-squad number and color.
Oh, and YES! Please make it more noticeable which square is yourself in the squad window!

Hope this improved UI comes true and soon.

(edited by DrMORO.4627)

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

UI design tip:

If two design elements are supposed to denote two different concepts, the difference should never be subtle.

I don’t know how “blue circle” and “slightly different blue circle” got past QA.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Separate sub squad color

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

I noticed the difference in blue right away myself – just took some time to figure out what it meant… That said, why it wasn’t a different color or at least a bigger difference with the same base color doesn’t really make sense.

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB