Server Merge

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: Le Rooster.8715

Le Rooster.8715

As many of you have heard http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/31/pax-prime-2013-guild-wars-2-prepares-to-blow-your-mind-all-o/ there will be big changes coming to WvW in the sense of leagues where we will have 4 leagues of 6 servers. (NA)

Now as we also know many of the bottom tier servers are slowly dwindling in population so instead of 4 leagues of 6 servers why can’t we have 3 leagues of 6 servers cut down from 24—>18 serverscondense the population to give us more fair matches and better matches.

Just want to hear the general thoughts obviously people from the servers being cut will be given free transfers and guild buffs etc will be game bound.

Roosters Inc-Team Shatter [TS] Commander
Sea of Sorrows http://www.gw2sos.com/index.php

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: Ynot.8397

Ynot.8397

Well If they have 4 tiers of 6 we don’t really need merging. The bottom 6 servers are relatively even. The 6 above them are as well. The 6 above them too. It is the top 6 that are messed up. We don’t need a merge of servers and I think I speak for most of the lowest 6 servers in saying we don’t want it.

Ferguson’s Crossing→ SoS→ DR→ EBay

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: Mylon.4135

Mylon.4135

We need server merges. Low tier fights simply are not fun. It doesn’t matter if they are “even” (which they’re not), it’s difficult to find a fight and when we do find one it’s not a fun one.

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: DevonCarver.5370

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

Next

NA will be 2 leagues of 12 servers, not 4 of 6. In addition server merges are not on the table as the population of the game as a whole doesn’t suggest they are necessary.

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: bradderzh.2378

bradderzh.2378

The issues are not usually that a server has low population, it’s that a server has a low wvw population. A top tier server that has lots of dedicated wvw guilds around the clock who primarily care about wvw don’t neccasarilly have a higher population than lower tier servers, it’s could just be that the ratio of wvw to PvE/spvp players is higher.

However, you can’t tell people what game type to play, so you will still lose each week because they don’t want to help out in wvw.

The issue is, that while you may be on these lower tier servers and still care just as much about wvw as the higher tier servers, you are essentially on the wrong server and if this system rewards the heavily stacked servers more it’s only going to promote more stacking.

In reference to ascended items:
Nar: I love that it will take me time and money to
reach the same level I’m at right now… …said no one, ever.

Server Merge

in WvW

Previous

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

Next

The issues are not usually that a server has low population, it’s that a server has a low wvw population. A top tier server that has lots of dedicated wvw guilds around the clock who primarily care about wvw don’t neccasarilly have a higher population than lower tier servers, it’s could just be that the ratio of wvw to PvE/spvp players is higher.

However, you can’t tell people what game type to play, so you will still lose each week because they don’t want to help out in wvw.

The issue is, that while you may be on these lower tier servers and still care just as much about wvw as the higher tier servers, you are essentially on the wrong server and if this system rewards the heavily stacked servers more it’s only going to promote more stacking.

You mention in this post why nothing is changing here. We can’t merge servers based on what percentage of players on a server play WvW. We make determinations about servers based on their overall population. Your best bet is to use the influx of rewards from the season to convince people on your server to start paying attention to WvW. Or convince people to transfer to your server to boost your WvW ranks.

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

You mention in this post why nothing is changing here. We can’t merge servers based on what percentage of players on a server play WvW. We make determinations about servers based on their overall population. Your best bet is to use the influx of rewards from the season to convince people on your server to start paying attention to WvW. Or convince people to transfer to your server to boost your WvW ranks.

People been making all sorts of arguments about why people should move to their transfer but as far as I can tell the smallest servers keep getting smaller and the largest servers keep getting larger.

The scarcity of fights in the low tiers is an often heard reason for guilds transferrin to higher tiers (tiers that can afford to offer to pay for larger guilds to transfer, making a joke of the transfer fee). And that scarcity is only getting worse with each transfer.

And influx of rewards? The influx of rewards is 10 gold/hour farming, talk to NPC for 10 achievement points, and unique weapon skins every 2 weeks in Living Story. You better be bringing hell of a lot of rewards for me to tell someone in Lion’s Arch that it’s worth their time to step away from autoattacking in a PvE map and risk actually dying somewhere.

Gate of Madness

(edited by styx.7294)

Server Merge

in WvW

Previous

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

And influx of rewards? The influx of rewards is 10 gold/hour farming, talk to NPC for 10 achievement points, and unique weapon skins every 2 weeks in Living Story. You better be bringing hell of a lot of rewards for me to tell someone in Lion’s Arch that it’s worth their time to step away from autoattacking in a PvE map and risk actually dying somewhere.

Well, I can’t promise it will work, but I’m kitten sure trying.

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

Heh, thanks. Sorry, I’m a lil’ worried about the low tier servers. AR, GoM, and DR weren’t the biggest servers but lately they’ve gotten a lot smaller. I’m startin to worry that WvW is really about to become dead on some servers. It’s one thing to see guilds transfer because there’s drama but it’s a different thing to see transfers happen because guilds aren’t findin enough to play to fight with or fight against. Especially when those same transfers make the problem worse.

Gate of Madness

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: Vi Au.8341

Vi Au.8341

We all know that WvW ranking is all about who can take objectives when the other server has the lowest population. And as much as I would love to call out to the PvE players on my server to play during SEA/Oceanic time zone, we simply dont have a presence at that time in WvW or PvE.

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I wouldn’t doubt that you are… We’ve seen a lot of examples and inferences of just how hard a lot of you Designer folks are really trying. I really appreciate it and one in particular, Robert, I think gained cult status this week for his….umm sacrifice for those principles. But it just seems like there’s some kind of … Overlord force redirecting the focus of the game back towards an Everquest / Rift / MapleStory emphasis and that’s the main reason that the fan base is lashing out the way they are right now. They want more variety in the world itself and more emphasis on strategy, not just more rewards…

If I could for a second…. you remarked elsewhere on “most improved” possibly getting some kind of honor? What if that honor was to bypass to some degree the “Daily Cooldown” on all the things that are being timegated? ….instead of one Charged Quartz per day, they could charge 2 of them, all week long? Instead of PvE Dailies canceling out PvP daily achieves, they could earn BOTH. Instead of only crafting 3 vision crystal components, they could craft 6…

That would put a real ….sorry to keep using this word…. put a real emphasis on a balanced daily routine for players. You wouldn’t have Just-PvE servers and Just-WvW servers. You’d have populations shifting around to do a little bit of everything with the underdogs getting something that’s actually motivating. (%15 artisan or scavenger or whatever is NOT motivating, sorry… it’s just not)

(edited by ilr.9675)

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

NA will be 2 leagues of 12 servers, not 4 of 6. In addition server merges are not on the table as the population of the game as a whole doesn’t suggest they are necessary.

The 4 of 6 sounded so much better. With 2 leagues, we are going to see something like SOR and CD in the same match up at some point. I was very excited about this, but now I am pretty disappointed. I play on TC, and we have been plagued with blow out boring match-ups lately. 4 of 6 would have really kept competition amped up to some degree in all matchups. With 4 of 6, there would be good match ups most of the time.

Consider making it 4 or 6 please. We really don’t need to see the number 1 server versus the number 12 server because that match-up is just a waste of time.

(edited by timidobserver.7925)

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: Super Kruegs.8967

Super Kruegs.8967

yes 4 of 6 please, can’t even imagine what JQ (1) or Blackgate (2) would do to a server like yak’s bend (12) it would be over 2 hours into reset with a blowout level never seen before if you had actual rewards for beating them into the ground.

FA [WS]. Small group fights since 2012

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: Zoel.9154

Zoel.9154

why do WvW teams have to be based on servers? it seems fairly arbitrary. Why can’t you merge the lowest pop servers WvW wise for wvw purposes only? People who want to get into WvW will probably just transfer to a WvW server rather than try to help a dead server because it’s the path of least resistance.

If you didn’t read what I said extremely closely, you probably didn’t realize that WvW server is a term that makes perfect sense given the current game state.

Zoel – GM of [coVn]

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: Frayta.4816

Frayta.4816

Look, WvW isn’t fair, it isn’t on Tier 8, and it isn’t on Tier 1, the bigger blob is a stronger force- and some tier’s happen to have the bigger blob all the time.

If all you care is about the rewards, then go to a higher teir server in your group. BUT! If you truly care about your server, you will work kitten hard to recruit people from PvE into WvW. The ‘wvw’ population is a very general thing. Everyone in the same their has the same cap of people they can put in WvW. Don’t be contented until your server starts hitting queues.

HELL, go and recruit guilds from Tier 1, it’s what we do to you guys. Why? because we care about our server- we don’t just sit by and let the numbers dwindle, we do something about it, and that’s why we are tier 1, we care enough to serve the WvW fight beyond the battleground.

If you are so ill-contented with the state of your WvW server do something about it- Devon won’t. Get together a fundraiser, start pooling up a lot of gold, cause I’m telling you now- people wont be interested in the transfer at all- unless it’s paid for.

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: Jaaded.1870

Jaaded.1870

If your reward is based on the first server you log into on day 1 of the season why on earth would anyone want to transfer to a lower WvW population server. There is no incentive for people to come to the lower tiers, you have effectively screwed the lower tiers and promoted the higher ones. This is sounding more and more like a page from SWG when they tried to change the game’s fundamentals and that did not end well for them. I thought it was gaming 101 on what not to do…. Thanks for sticking it to us again!

Lilj/Liljaad
SoCo
Yak’s Bend

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: xTiMeBoMBx.2863

xTiMeBoMBx.2863

No WvW guilds will stay behind to carry a dead server simply because their players will get burnt out and soon leave. The problem is WvW population imbalances. The fact that ANet is betting, aka “hoping,” for the fights to be balance just shows the lack of foresight and reasoning. Why would anyone move to a dead server lacking in WvW presence for rewards when they can get the same rewards or even better if they move to a server that is well known to be stacked in WvW population. Wouldn’t it make more sense that a winning server will receive the better rewards so why would any guilds or individuals move to a dead server? Unless ANet makes the rewards of a tier 1 league much crappier than the rewards of a tier 4 league. But then that wouldn’t make sense or be fair to a tier 1 league. Just implement a freaking dead cap per server, for each map, already. Allow only equal amount of players, for example 50, in a map per server. At least this way it will make those that really want to fight and contribute, and not get carried or band wagon, move to a lower tier to establish themselves. Increasing the map cap is just gonna make people move to a higher tier, already stacked servers.

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

Influx of rewards… what a kitten joke.

It doesn’t matter anyways, the overall problem with WvW is that there is only so many off hour players, which means only a few servers can be competitive, which is why the vast majority of the player base find PPT to be an utter joke.

Unless they condense servers to so few that everyone has a chunk of the off hour population, mergers wont change anything.

~ AoN ~

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: Neeho.3859

Neeho.3859

If you don’t have to even step foot in wvw to get the rewards, LA on JQ and Kaineng (atm) is going to have 18 friggin instances on day 1. Not only will servers lose wvw populations, they will lose pve populations as well. Tons of money for Anet from gem sales for transfers, tons of people in a que for wvw for the tier 1 and 12 servers. Not only the pve populations, but also the wvw populations… that is alot of gems. Good business model… for the first season.

Let’s see, everyone from rank 2-11 transfer to rank 1, and everyone from rank 13-24 transfer to rank 12. Not to mention the rank 11 server throwing the game at the end to ensure they drop to rank 12 so they can win the next season. The lower tier servers are already seeing guilds leave wvw in droves; if you took a minute to read what your community is saying, you might have a kittening clue about this Devon. I sure hope you were against this and not championing it.

Early April Fools, right? You guys can’t seriously be that kittening stupid. I’ve been playing MMO’s for 14 years and this is seriously the dumbest kittening thing I have ever heard of. Have any of you played a rvr/pvp/wvw game before? It sure doesn’t look like it. ESO is looking better and better after all, and I can’t stand the series.

Ho/Neeho/Zorho/Hodown/Ephodemic
[SoCo] Solum Contego SoCo loco style!
Yak’s Bend

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: xTiMeBoMBx.2863

xTiMeBoMBx.2863

Influx of rewards… what a kitten joke.

It doesn’t matter anyways, the overall problem with WvW is that there is only so many off hour players, which means only a few servers can be competitive, which is why the vast majority of the player base find PPT to be an utter joke.

Unless they condense servers to so few that everyone has a chunk of the off hour population, mergers wont change anything.

exactly this! But hey let’s just increase the map cap and allow more transfers. It will totally help WvW. Who cares about all those hardcore WvW guilds/indivuals that have left the game already. The issues with WvW those guilds notice magically disappeared when they quit the game a long time ago. Everything is all fine in WvW now guys. Ignoring the WvW population imbalance is the answer to everything. We are in safe hands.

/end sarcasm.

(edited by xTiMeBoMBx.2863)

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: Le Rooster.8715

Le Rooster.8715

Devon thanks for the response but will you at least reduce map queues by 20-30% to give servers a fighting chance in their home bl’s? and to promote destacking?

Roosters Inc-Team Shatter [TS] Commander
Sea of Sorrows http://www.gw2sos.com/index.php

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: XII.9401

XII.9401

Hmm now they do something useless about it?

They must have:

A.Squeezed what they could from server transfers and/or ppl quitting was too much.

B.Came back from vacation.

I loled at the LFG system in there. More than a year into the game with no lfg system. Hire the guy who came up with the LFG website as he seems to have more competence in his pinky the person responsible for the lfg system.

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: qualm like a bomb.6512

qualm like a bomb.6512

If your reward is based on the first server you log into on day 1 of the season why on earth would anyone want to transfer to a lower WvW population server. There is no incentive for people to come to the lower tiers, you have effectively screwed the lower tiers and promoted the higher ones. This is sounding more and more like a page from SWG when they tried to change the game’s fundamentals and that did not end well for them. I thought it was gaming 101 on what not to do…. Thanks for sticking it to us again!

They love screwing us on Devonas Rest and not even giving us the courtesy of a kitten around. Free transfers to everyone below us so they kick the kitten out of us, lets do that. We have to have the lowest pop of any server and no not just WvW pop, there is a severe lack of population here in PVE as well. You say do the work ourselves get people to wvw, I say find me kittening people. If it smells like kitten, and it looks like a kitten it probably is a kitten?

Qualm – Commander
Grievance [GVNC] – Our drunken WvW is the kitten
Devona’s Rest – Forever Outnumbered & Kittened upon by Anet

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i really doubt ANET ever take WvW participation/coverage into the calculation. they simply match the strong server with the weak ones, they don’t care. for them it is the players on the servers fault for not participating…

i’ve suggested this time and time again but hell, no action taken : reduce the number of players per world per map to balance out the coverage issue…

see how it goes, you never try you never know…..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

ArenaNet is faced with a bit of a catch-22 here. How do you reward winning servers without also incentivizing people to move from lower ranked servers to those winning servers?

There has to be some kind of palpable reason for people to move to the servers that lose each season that in some way offset the prestige rewards offered to the winning servers. At minimum, the bottom ranked servers in each region (NA, Europe) should have free transfers to that server up until the next season starts – with transfers to the winning servers blocked completely during that same time period.

Without that balance, they risk ending up with the vast majority (more than now) of serious wvwers concentrated into a smaller and smaller number of “winning” servers – with all others offering an experience that is considerably less fun than it is now.

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

there’s also another issue related to transferring : guild upgrades. if only they are maintained/available on every server a guild is on, then probably, just probably people would transfer to lower tier servers….

i still don’t get it why guild upgrades are not independent of servers a guild is on….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

So ANet acknowledges there’s a huge imbalance when it comes to WvW participation on the servers and you’re still going to go forward with a WvW tournament?

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

Glad to hear that! While server merges are not inherently a bad thing, they are always perceived as such.

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: Neeho.3859

Neeho.3859

So ANet acknowledges there’s a huge imbalance when it comes to WvW participation on the servers and you’re still going to go forward with a WvW tournament?

Participation is not required for the reward, so spvp, pve, AND wvw players will all pay gems to transfer. Easiest way to get gems? That’s right, money in Anet’s pocket. I wonder why they could possibly be doing it this way?

Ho/Neeho/Zorho/Hodown/Ephodemic
[SoCo] Solum Contego SoCo loco style!
Yak’s Bend

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: woeye.2753

woeye.2753

Participation is not required for the reward, so spvp, pve, AND wvw players will all pay gems to transfer. Easiest way to get gems? That’s right, money in Anet’s pocket. I wonder why they could possibly be doing it this way?

This. In order to win and players have to transfer to high pop and high coverage servers. See it as an “entry ticket”. ANet sure knows that many players will transfer. The more players transfer the more money ANet earns. As simple as that.

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: XenusTEHG.1965

XenusTEHG.1965

Anvil Rock is dead in WvW what should I do? I dont have money for transfering

sorry for my poor english

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: shoufer.2917

shoufer.2917

do like I did and just save up your money. It cost about 35 gold to move servers right now. I am not going to move since I found a good guild but it is besides the point if you really want to move farm for a few days.

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: RuinatioN.6792

RuinatioN.6792

The only sensible way to balance WvW is to enforce a cap on the larger world.

1: Cap does not affect below 25 people. There are usually this amount of people floating in the dead of night on low pop servers.
2: Add a cap of no more than 1.5x the numbers of the lowest population.
25 players on low then then 38 on the highest.
3: Add a restriction of 5mins before numbers can adjust to stop teams/worlds/guilds abusing the idea and flipping borders/EB. leave you world to make it hard for anyone else and suddenly for 5mins you may get squished.

This would encourage very high population servers to move to lower population servers to get fights and build up a community as there would be a restriction and queues to get on the map. Want to fight make the game more balanced and transferring very high to low is pretty kitten ed cheap.

I don’t think world’s need to be merged as yet but I have considered the thought a few times with the low population worlds. This just plays in to the numbers game and I would prefer to have smaller and harder fought battles based on skill than bigger blobbing fights where half the players don’t have a clue or still getting the idea of the game and fall over when you look at them.

I would like to think the skilled are doing training but since this has been pretty much the same for 6 months I would say not and there is no need to as the numbers win and not skill.

Guardian / Warrior / Ele @ Ruins of Surmia
Inner Monkey [IM]

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Anvil Rock is dead in WvW what should I do? I dont have money for transfering

Bend over and hope hey are gentle, or play something else. Our server and other lower ranks have all been through the demoralization phaze and lost players but it wasn’t a huge concern because we didn’t have many to lose. Now when 50%+ of the servers go through this they might actually see the real picture, but I doubt it.

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: Kaamau.5341

Kaamau.5341

The population Imbalances across 6 servers isn’t so bad, a smaller server at that point could rally to defeat a larger server at that point but when they are 12 ranks above you there is little hope which will lead to larger stacking and smaller servers who will be getting smaller getting stomped.

Fort Aspenwood
PRAISE GEESUS

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

The population Imbalances across 6 servers isn’t so bad, a smaller server at that point could rally to defeat a larger server at that point but when they are 12 ranks above you there is little hope which will lead to larger stacking and smaller servers who will be getting smaller getting stomped.

I agree, 6 wouldn’t be so bad, 12 is to much for both leagues, also watch the ranks over the next while. I’m willing to bet you see some of the top 12 throwing matches to get into the bottom 12 making the imbalance even worse.

Server Merge

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

A server merge would be necessary if there weren’t enough people playing WvW as a whole. Right now, WvW has plenty of people. The real problem is the stacking of everyone at the top few servers. Population imbalance is what needs to be addressed.