Server Survival Competition

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

We have definitely to many server for the current state of WvW and with the WvW rework to be expected late this year it is likely to late for a restart.

On the otherside no server likes to be resolved or merged, so *Fight for the survival of your Server"

So make a survival competition:
- no transfers
- 4 rounds Swiss-System (as in the seasons), but without Gold/Silver/Bronze Separation
. each week the 3 server with the lowest score will be deleted.
- people of deleted server have to find a new home free of charge.

To make an example, if this week would be part of the competition and the current scores would be the final ones, then in EU Ruins of Surmia, Fissure of Woe and Vizunah Square and in NA Kaineng, Crystal Desert and Eredon Terrace would be deleted.

Afterwards we would have 12 server less in EU as well as in NA and WvW would probably be more populated.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

If the devs are listening to people like you then no wonder WvW is dead. Bad idea after bad idea.

RP enthusiast

in WvW

Dayra.7405

If the devs are listening to people like you then no wonder WvW is dead. Bad idea after bad idea.

The longer walkways on borderlands idea is not from me, I was against it, when it was proposed over 3 years ago. Population rebalance was also not made as I proposed it. I did not proposed a new Map nor EotM.

Any other relevant change in the last 3 years?

I think there were 3 changes I proposed/supported and that happend:

• the change of matchmaking, otherwise in the meantime all tier would be fixed not only NA-T1
  • reduced visibility (different color) of dead, after the removal of culling.
  • arrow-card line-of-sight, but this happend around 2 years after I sugested it, no idea if they made it due to me

So WvW died without any relevant idea from me implemented, maybe it would be alive, if they would have listend to me.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Hmm, obviously a bit biased since you just suggested deleting my server here :p

But how about the thought that many of the people left on the lower servers, and the ones that still consider server loyalty ? Many of them might not bother moving, but instead just quitting.

So, not a fan. Though I agree there are too many servers at this point.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Dayra.7405

But how about the thought that many of the people left on the lower servers, and the ones that still consider server loyalty ? Many of them might not bother moving, but instead just quitting.

Hard to say from outside if they stay due to server-loyality or because WvW doesn’t interest them enough to pay the gems for a transfer.

Should it be server-loyality, my proposal at leaast give them a chance to fight for their server instead of choosing server by random or by glicko-ranking.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

If they “server merge”, my guess is none of the existing server names are retained…. Interesting deal with SOR and the backstory though – that might be harder to delete…..

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: AmberUK.5380

AmberUK.5380

Won’t the higher pop servers win because they are higher pop?

We Asura are just the best
UW WvW player – TooT !

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Won’t the higher pop servers win because they are higher pop?

You see in this weeks example that the proposal is not a rephrase of "the lowest servers should be deleted* as higher ranked server may loose their match (against even higher server) more badly.

in WvW

Posted by: Argos Helios.4965

Argos Helios.4965

This idea is brilliant and this post is the best post on this forum for the last 6 months.

in WvW

Dayra.7405

This idea is brilliant and this post is the best post on this forum for the last 6 months.

This sounds to enthusiastic to be true, so is it sarcasm?

I am not happy about this proposal, I would prefer WvW to be healthy, but it is not and I see the very urgent need to repopulate the WvW-maps by reducing map-capacity via server reduction and I do not see a better way to choose server for deletion than giving anyone a chance to fight for his servers survival. Higher ranked server have a better chance, yes, but you aren’t doomed because you belong to the lowest 12 server.

in WvW

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

We have definitely to many server for the current state of WvW and with the WvW rework to be expected late this year it is likely to late for a restart.

On the otherside no server likes to be resolved or merged, so *Fight for the survival of your Server"

So make a survival competition:
- no transfers
- 4 rounds Swiss-System (as in the seasons), but without Gold/Silver/Bronze Separation
. each week the 3 server with the lowest score will be deleted.
- people of deleted server have to find a new home free of charge.

To make an example, if this week would be part of the competition and the current scores would be the final ones, then in EU Ruins of Surmia, Fissure of Woe and Vizunah Square and in NA Kaineng, Crystal Desert and Eredon Terrace would be deleted.

Afterwards we would have 12 server less in EU as well as in NA and WvW would probably be more populated.

what mode of the fights for survival?
is it really “fights for survival” or “ppt for survival”?

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness

in WvW

Dayra.7405

is it really “fights for survival” or “ppt for survival”?

Good point a scoring function that would make this the same would be ideal, but we did not got one during the last 3 years, even if the forum is full of more or less good proposals. Given the anounced chance for next week and the low chance of getting a better scoring function it would be PPT+kills.

in WvW

Norbe.7630

1 point per kill or 100 point per kill or any point per kill depends on tier to be matched?

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Dayra.7405

1 point per kill or 100 point per kill or any point per kill depends on tier to be matched?

Propose what you want and look what ANet will do (ignore us as usual)

in WvW

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Finally some leverage to charge the server for my services.

(Needed another reason not to do this?)

in WvW

Norbe.7630

Propose what you want and look what ANet will do (ignore us as usual)

uhhhm, i was just clearing some things that i suddenly remembered about the servers being deleted,
heres the reference similar to ur proposal
(sadly twas the game operator that did the server deletion not the players)
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/World-vs-World-Holiday-Sneak-Peek/page/13

as for this case im still asking some questions before i comment if this can be a good balance to servers or the fate of the game i posted on that thread….

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

Something like this might make me play again.

I’ve essentially quit for the last month. Logged on for about 3 minutes per day to get my daily login bag, and then right back out. Yesterday stayed on for an hour going Bl to BL looking for something to do. Couldn’t find anything then played EotM for about 30 minutes til I got bored again.

Of course if my server was facing total elimination then I very well might login to play long hours knowing that both JQ and BG would definitely be motivated to get rid of us. So yeah the idea has merit with bringing players like me back, but I wonder if the population has fallen too far.