Server merging

Server merging

in WvW

Posted by: Gibon.1705

Gibon.1705

Will there ever be some kind of server merging? It happens in every MMO and I think its kind of time for GW2.

There are at least 3-4 servers that means nothing in wvw which is not really fault of players on that servers. Mostly it happend because people changing server for one reason or another (friends, language, etc), then more players changed servers because there were not enough of them to fight for win.

Now it is impossible to these few servers to come back to be competitive since new players don’t make their accounts on ‘losers’ server.

I personally play on Whiteside Ridge and I think its fine, we can at least fight in our tiers and I don’t need anything else, but when we are fighting with Blacktide im about to laugh. I believe sames goes for Fissure of Woe and probably there are NA servers with the same issue.

My point is – these servers ruin fun for both sides. They do not have fun because they literally cannot play on their own – little to none WvW commanders means that casuals who wants to visit WvW once at a time and maybe get interested and become ‘pro’ won’t do that. Players who want to play WvW can’t gather enough army and can only capture towers in teams of 5-10ppl. And on the other side servers fighting with them turns to be 1v1 instead of 1v1v1 and this is making WvW boring.

I know that everyone can transfer but all servers (except these bad) are 1,8kgem which is ~200-240g, and it sill will not solve problem with fighting against these servers, they will only do even less. So either close them at all and let players transfer wherever they want (or with some restrictions to T8-5 servers or sth like that) or lock registration for other servers to force new players register (more and more are comming, and will after HoT) and fill up the bad ones in hope that some of them will have lust for blood and will help and make them appear @WvW again. But somehow I don’t think it would be best solution. I’d rather see that servers shut down.

Opinions?

(edited by Gibon.1705)

Server merging

in WvW

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Most servers in NA are either full or have very high populations. Whether they play WvW or not, a server merger would be difficult if not impossible based on that fact alone.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Server merging

in WvW

Posted by: Centurion.7296

Centurion.7296

I like the idea but there is one flaw that will upset people, and that is that people will complain that they dont want to zerg/blob around in WvW. But being in WSR myself I’d also like to have more intense wars against the other servers, to give you higher tier server players an idea; I can personally solo camps on any class without anyone coming to stop me 60% of the time and 40% of the time when it comes to towers, but atm I cant afford paying 1,8k gems to transfer and really dont want to spend 200-240g for it because Id rather finish my character’s builds and using real money then its almost enough to buy an new game. All I can think of if they could take the bottom few servers and merge them so they are more balanced, because I really dont want to mess with the higher servers in the European group because they have ( I believe ) alot of server pride and would dislike it grately if anet starts taking them out and placing them in bad WvW servers, also they cant open all the servers because everyone will obiviously go to the highest server and unbalance the whole system. But something must be done, maybe firstly trying to merge the last 6 servers into 3 servers.

Server merging

in WvW

Posted by: Chyanne Waters.8719

Chyanne Waters.8719

A few months ago more people in WvW guilds transferred out of Ehmry Bay. The server went down to 23 in ranks. But after a while and with determination of the people who stayed we are ranked around 15 or so. Servers do not need merging they need tactics.

Why just because other MMO’s do it GW2 has to?

Server merging

in WvW

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Underworld was at rock bottom 8 months ago. Now it’s semi competitive I believe. Either take up initiative yourself, or convince higher tier guilds to transfer to your server for easy bronze wins.

Server merging

in WvW

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

Underworld was at rock bottom 8 months ago. Now it’s semi competitive I believe. Either take up initiative yourself, or convince higher tier guilds to transfer to your server for easy bronze wins.

WSR here, and I can confirm. UW had 20 people tops (on all maps together) back then, most of the time their WvW was completely abandoned.
Now they can muster up a pretty good force if needed (especially on home border) and their individual skills (read: roamers) have gotten better as well.

Same with us tbh, but we managed to get up from 26th place and we are currently winning t8 (there’s 9 tiers in EU).

I for one am against server merge (unless they decide to disband the top 3 servers, cause that would be hilarious).

Server merging

in WvW

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

There are at least 3-4 servers that means nothing in wvw

Although you made an interesting wall of text, this little excerpt made me ignore it completely..

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

Server merging

in WvW

Posted by: Gibon.1705

Gibon.1705

Most servers in NA are either full or have very high populations. Whether they play WvW or not, a server merger would be difficult if not impossible based on that fact alone.

Well thats why i have said that maybe not merging but allowing transfer to one of selected by Anet servers (obviously not top ones but low-mid tier). But yeah, all are full/very high and still its possible to register new acc. @europe there are some high and still it is possible to make acc on very high instead of locking them for some time to force filling up less populated ones.

Server merging

in WvW

Posted by: Reanne.5462

Reanne.5462

you guys are missing the point. the matchups are screwy. moving the blob from one server to another doesnt solve the problem. No one wants blobs on every server, they want a fair fight that isnt determined by the population of a server.

Server merging

in WvW

Posted by: poisonality.8972

poisonality.8972

some people take pride in joining the little guy(lesser pop) and watching it build up over the course of the years. most of the time I rather start with the fewest people on the server as I can myself

Server merging

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

For pve? because server do not matter for pve any more. The only thing you would merge servers for would be wvw but even the lower T servers have Q during NA prime time the main time when ppl play on NA worlds so combing them would just make Q times all that much longer.
This is kind of where mmorpgs are going no more servers just one massive super server where you can pve with any one. As for RvR you could have a chose your side from 3 sides but then there will need to be the same version of though 3 sides over and over so you do not run into only 150 ppl can play wvw on this map as this side so every one else is out of luck. That brings a high level of problems where ppl simply jump sides or set up and at the end we end up with the same problems we have now maybe even worst.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Server merging

in WvW

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I would do away with “server” separations completely.

Let people form alliances, and then those alliances get assigned randomly to colors in WvW.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Server merging

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I would do away with “server” separations completely.

Let people form alliances, and then those alliances get assigned randomly to colors in WvW.

In a game like GW2 i think that would kill a lot of community. You could do this for say EotM or the new wvw map as long as they are not part of the main match up that week. If the community find them self enjoying that type of system more then stander wvw then we would see more ppl move to though 2 new maps and then we can see a more natural path to something more like a mega world for wvw but only if the community are able to make this transition.

I am some what hoping that EotM the new map and even OS become a chose your side to a point on a mega world set up. With there own rewards at the end of there match not related to the weeks match up. So you can play on these maps with less instinctive to “pve” and more instinctive to play the map.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Server merging

in WvW

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

This should be moved over to WvW forums, and merged with the other server threads (See what I did there? :P)

In any event, I don’t feel that merging servers would actually provide an answer. If they were merged, there is still no insentive to stay with your current merged server. People move to have a better WvW experience on higher tiers. So servers get merged, and people still leave to get out of the lower tier they may be on. Also queue times would be rediculous. Even if they raised the server cap per map. You would have at least 2 times the amount of players, and in some cases even higher. And then, if population caps per map are raised, what would that do to performance? It some cases it gets pretty bad already with so many people, and so much going on, lag really becomes an issue. Now double that with merged servers.

I’ve said it once before and will say it again. I don’t feel there is anything Anet can do about people transferring and server populations. It’s up to the WvW players, commanders and guilds to keep the players they have and try to provide a good enough experience to retain players, instead of allowing them to transfer.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Server merging

in WvW

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

Server merges are the opposite of what helps with population imbalance in WvW.

Like it or not, we need server splits and a reduction of the player cap per server. The low mark of the population will always be 0, that cannot be helped. So the only end that can be fixed is the upper mark. It has to come down. The populated servers are the problem, not the empty ones.

Of course this will not happen, since players won’t like it. But server merges will in fact make things not better. The populated servers remain populated, the merged servers will still lose players.

Server merging

in WvW

Posted by: Kungsmurfen.2861

Kungsmurfen.2861

I really dont want to mess with the higher servers in the European group because they have ( I believe ) alot of server pride and would dislike it grately if anet starts taking them out and placing them in bad WvW servers.

I’m sure this is true but what makes you think everyone would be happy with the opposite? I know for sure that I wouldn’t stand being put in a T1 climate for more than an hour or two.

WSR here, and I can confirm. UW had 20 people tops (on all maps together) back then, most of the time their WvW was completely abandoned.

I for one am against server merge (unless they decide to disband the top 3 servers, cause that would be hilarious).

Yeah it was a rough time.

and yes that would be hillarious ^^

Underworld – [ZERK]

Server merging

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Server merges are the opposite of what helps with population imbalance in WvW.

Like it or not, we need server splits and a reduction of the player cap per server. The low mark of the population will always be 0, that cannot be helped. So the only end that can be fixed is the upper mark. It has to come down. The populated servers are the problem, not the empty ones.

Of course this will not happen, since players won’t like it. But server merges will in fact make things not better. The populated servers remain populated, the merged servers will still lose players.

Quote from wiki:
“Player limits are not yet finalized, but current estimates are that each map will support up to 500 players, split across the three servers, for a total upper limit of 2,000 players across the entire WvW match”

At the momment might be lesser than 100 per server on map (70-80ish) supported, since i believe this value flutuates, belive it or not they are already doing that cap for some time, and reducing it its the same as negate acces wvw to players, merging servers not everyone will like it, and proly drop off.

I would not call populated servers a problem, the problem lies on wvw model itself,a 24/7 of flip and flip again if your server dont have coverage to bunker in tower/keeps with tons of siege, and the importance of owning a shrine with walls is a ppt score that has zero worth.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.