Server says full, but yet is still dead.

in WvW

Posted by: S h a u n.7691

S h a u n.7691

I just so happened to enter a DH Channel in ts during a discussion about switching out of the server from the point of view of a WvW guild who’s angry because even though the Darkhaven server is full but yet the WvW aspect of it for [US] atleast is kitten -near empty.

Now, there are a few reasons brought up on why the good ol’ wvw scene died on DH
One had todo with a famous streamer who joined the server bringing along a army of followers and with that came the max capacity server and sure enough the streamer went back to where he came from leaving the Darkhaven server not only filled with players, but filled with ghost players.. – From what is understood there is no sort of once an account goes inactive for a certain period of time it gets removed from the server and has to re-join it type of certain.. which i could see that because i took a 6-8 month break before coming back and i was still on Darkhaven’s server which didnt mean much to me at that point because i was still rather new to the game.

Another was just that people from Darkhaven are not interested in the World Vs World scene, which i personally have a agree/disagree attitude toward.. anyway point of the post, shouldn’t A-Net be looking into improving the WvW scene for all servers like-wise now-surely some servers just dont contain people who enjoy WvW but on the other-hand if DarkHaven and maybe some other servers are filled with players who are not playing that takes away from DH gathering new soldiers for the WvW army.

thoughts / opinions?

in WvW

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Maybe this thread would be better served in the WvW sub-forum?

Good luck.

in WvW

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

All the cool kittens paid for server transfers long ago, selecting whichever servers were in top-T at the moment. The rest of the servers… died, as far as for wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

how is the population during peek time?

I’m from sos. and eventhough server is empty most of the time. At peak time there is still queue. So make sense Anet dont’ want more people to move to SoS.

in WvW

Daywolf.2630

I’m from sos. and eventhough server is empty most of the time. At peak time there is still queue. So make sense Anet dont’ want more people to move to SoS.

SoS is one of the servers wvw players transferred to, usually T2 ranked. How do I know this? Been on FA since launch
Thanks for all the fish

in WvW

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Well to bring it back to PvE… those little pop up asking you to accept being moved to a more populated map in order to close the current map copy.. hmm yeah.
See how often that works out as it should.. T3 dry top gets the pop up and you get put back to a T1 drytop with no one on it happens every single time to me.

Basically megaservers sounds great to try and crowd what is likely a diminishing population into less map copies but at least get the mechanics around it working properly otherwise just go back to specific server but cut loose those that have low pops proving players with a free server xfer to other select servers then after the cut off point is reached push a forced server merg. This megaserver mullarkey is awful imo.

in WvW

Posted by: Vercinorix.3021

Vercinorix.3021

Darkhaven suffers from the “Cool Server Name” curse, like Dragonbrand. So you guys probably got more than your fair share of actual new players from those $10 sales. The server probably actually IS full of active players… just not ones that WvW.

So DH is probably kittened unless you can make it a really noob friendly place in WvW. Which is going to be pretty hard.

BTW, this should probably be in the WvW section, FYI.

in WvW

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I just so happened to enter a DH Channel in ts during a discussion about switching out of the server from the point of view of a WvW guild who’s angry because even though the Darkhaven server is full but yet the WvW aspect of it for [US] atleast is kitten -near empty.

Now, there are a few reasons brought up on why the good ol’ wvw scene died on DH
One had todo with a famous streamer who joined the server bringing along a army of followers and with that came the max capacity server and sure enough the streamer went back to where he came from leaving the Darkhaven server not only filled with players, but filled with ghost players.. – From what is understood there is no sort of once an account goes inactive for a certain period of time it gets removed from the server and has to re-join it type of certain.. which i could see that because i took a 6-8 month break before coming back and i was still on Darkhaven’s server which didnt mean much to me at that point because i was still rather new to the game.

Another was just that people from Darkhaven are not interested in the World Vs World scene, which i personally have a agree/disagree attitude toward.. anyway point of the post, shouldn’t A-Net be looking into improving the WvW scene for all servers like-wise now-surely some servers just dont contain people who enjoy WvW but on the other-hand if DarkHaven and maybe some other servers are filled with players who are not playing that takes away from DH gathering new soldiers for the WvW army.

thoughts / opinions?

OP where were you when I suggested they switch from the Server vs Server system into an Faction vs Faction system, and people on the forum were bashing me?

That idea could have solved all your problems. You would have a Faction made up of many servers in one, to fight against other factions..

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

It’s one of the servers with a large pve population and probably a large inactive population as well so that’s where the full status is coming from.

Did DH have a mass exodus? Because it’s in T4 and a server wouldn’t be in T4 if it was dead.

in WvW

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

SoS is one of the servers wvw players transferred to, usually T2 ranked. How do I know this? Been on FA since launch
Thanks for all the fish

But recently, many old hardcore WvW players on SoS are going afk. Not too long ago we queue all four maps at prime. Now we barely queue one.

in WvW

S h a u n.7691

Dont get me wrong DH can hold its own just alittle with what its got, which right now is just a strong latenight EST zerg, other timezones we are “kittens” if you catch My drift. Like the commanders we have are pretty strong, but the playerbase is just Not there.

It’s one of the servers with a large pve population and probably a large inactive population as well so that’s where the full status is coming from.

Did DH have a mass exodus? Because it’s in T4 and a server wouldn’t be in T4 if it was dead.

in WvW

S h a u n.7691

thoughts / opinions?

OP where were you when I suggested they switch from the Server vs Server system into an Faction vs Faction system, and people on the forum were bashing me?

That idea could have solved all your problems. You would have a Faction made up of many servers in one, to fight against other factions..

Well due to player count, thats usually what it is one very large guild fighting another very large guild. Which me personally i like that concept, but then.that would bring guilds to the “lets mass-recruit bodies who can move in the same direction and spam 1” for wins.

in WvW

S h a u n.7691

Thanks for all the fish

But recently, many old hardcore WvW players on SoS are going afk. Not too long ago we queue all four maps at prime. Now we barely queue one.

Yea, thats basically what DH is going through.. Server is full, people going inactive, some people would rather do PvE
I remember A Long Long time ago DH was strong in many aspects

in WvW

Posted by: Atoss.1056

Atoss.1056

Maybe they should make long term inactive accounts not bound to any server, so when the person log in again (if ever), he/she can choose whatever server they please, even if for free.

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Pve has no servers and wvw is only “dead” during off times for all but the 6 top worlds and they have no true off time.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

I think most wvw players would agree that the way Anet calculates server pop status is messed up. It hurts WvW communities. It has caused mass exodae from numerous servers. DB being the most recent and now maybe DH too?

Anet commented on it once but has given no indication of changing it. So I doubt anything will ever change. I mean every time someone transfers for a better WvW experience its Cha-Ching! for Anet.

in WvW

Posted by: Synosius.9876

Synosius.9876

Thinking that pure pve’rs are the problem isnt correct. Perhaps on some level it will contribute to the server cap but there cant be more than a few hundreds wvw’rs per server.

Ive been a wvw guild leader for some time now and part of my recruiting is finding players new to the game and to wvw. I try to turn them into active participants; for a few weeks they are logging in every night and having fun working as a team.

Then I see them in silver wastes more and more until they eventually stop rep’ing the guild or quit. Ive always thought the learning curve in wvw is too steep. There needs to be some game mechanism that explains simple things like… how to place an arrow cart so it doesnt die immediately. Then I think wvw would have a higher player retention.

Its this type of player that just dips their toes into the wvw ocean and then goes to SW that clogs up the servers. When the exodus happens theyre on the forums saying something like… just came back from a break, wondering what happened to my once strong server?!
The answer is… you happened.

Another option like many ppl have said with factions or what ever, the basic premise is a system the continually separates out the casual players from the ones still logging in everyday. I doubt anet would ever consider such a thing because they dont want a hard core game or maybe they just dont want to hurt some noob’s feelings.

We cant do any creative brainstorming because we have no actual real data on the wvw population. All the solutions put forth by the player base are based on assumptions.

in WvW

Daywolf.2630

That’s about normal on T2’s, the only real que time is friday, otherwise a little like you said. I don’t think I’ve seen solid activity like that since before the player ranks system. And then with FOTM, even a little less activity, but not a big dent there since most there are just leveling.