Server v Server and Server pride

in WvW

Posted by: Cachu.9067

Cachu.9067

When deciding a Server, you may or may not have any particular reason to join, some server pride may find its way inside, and seeing competition between servers excite or bore you. Does server pride go hand in hand with wvw?

Do you care?
Doesnt matter?
Shrug?
I only pve – Only wvw for achievements, Only wvw for jp, Only wvw for Karma trains.
Hardcore wvw
Frustration
Only for the winners
Thanks for the buffs
Its fun
Its boring
I just wanna kill the other player!

Just some random thoughts, because if there is no server pride, then why do we have server vs server and not faction vs faction or tournament type situations where teams can be controlled and representative of servers based on win loss?

Why do players stay loyal and others dont? why do people bail when the going gets tough and others grind it out and rebuild. If you think about it, it would be much easier to be on the winning side all the time. So transferring to the “Top server” would be far more beneficial, than setting down roots with one that isnt a “Top server” everyone could be a winner if they all did that (dependent on server pop)

So to those who fight it out, why do you put so much effort for your server? those who dont care probably wouldnt be in this forum so I wont bother asking them a question :P but if you do happen to read this then it would be good to hear your views

(edited by Cachu.9067)

in WvW

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

Server pride is something that any hardcore WvWers could not careless. I would prefer a distinction between PvE and WvW servers, resulting more room to balance sides.

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

No such thing as server pride, only guild pride.

in WvW

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

One of the biggest downsides to this game is zero server pride. The days of true server pride were the pre-2005 era. It’s unfortunate. In my opinion part of this is the fact they rotate “matchups.” Another is server transfers and a lack of server forums.

(edited by ionix.9054)

in WvW

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

the no loyalty guys are the same ones that helped ruin hall of heros in gw 1.

they deserve their place in gw 2 because there is an audience for that, but no way do they deserve to be put up on a mantle and praised for being anti social.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

in WvW

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

Hmm. Certainly I can’t be the only person who takes pride in his server. I have met a lot of good people in my home server and have made a number of friends both within WvW and PvE (yes, I PvE as well, let the hate fly my way), most of which are not a part of my guild.

Most of our commanders are not only great at what they do but are very approachable, and the majority of individuals I’ve met are happy to help out new players who journey into WvW for the first time. Even with the influx of all the new players at the start of the season (“achievement hunters” as most people call them), a number of veterans were going out of their way to be patient with the recruits and helpfully answer questions along the way. To me, that speaks volumes about the server I’m representing and instills me a sense of pride.

I could go further and discuss other facets such as PvE or even just general camaraderie but as this is the WvW subforum I’ll avoid that for fear of boring you all to death.

Of course, we have our share of trolls too, but that’s to be expected.

in WvW

Ricky.4706

there are more casual players and pve’rs than there are elitists – THEY are the vocal minority – not the wvw players as a whole. Most of our wvw’rs were actually out farming spores lol. -throws hands up in air- I’d rather be patient with our pve/wvw’rs than elitists.

each server has what ..max 150 wvw’rs ..considering there are only 3 stacked servers – thats only 450 elitists -the hand- there are more casual servers than elitist hijacked servers. Fact!

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

(edited by Ricky.4706)

in WvW

Posted by: Stunzeed.4918

Stunzeed.4918

Nope people don’t care and anet caters to them. It has nothing to do with anti social. Is that the main reason huge guilds leave a server? I doubt it. I won’t say all guilds are doing it for its “win” factor but be ignorant to say some aren’t. Bottom line is the game is so imbalanced, I honestly don’t enjoy playing it anymore. Not everyone has the give up and move on attitude. Poor players like that just hurts the community as a whole imo.

in WvW

Ricky.4706

I was studying it yesterday- first you have grinding for stats – then you have the power gold sink – spores are going for 2 silver and torment sigils are going for 4 gold – easy money – when my server goes to wvw – they are armed to the teeth – they are actually smart and fun. The “hardcore” guys will eventually find themselves naked because of the current structure…….- and while I was skill lagging and disconnecting in kessex hills – an announcement was made about scarlets minions – when farming spores – they constantly spawn opposite sides of the map …so you are running back and forthe like a loon keeping up with them, ( wasting silver on wp mind you ) – then the scarlet minion announcement causes you to do the same thing ….it’s causing havoc and a major lack of focus

point being – anet is offering so much – it’s making everyone dizzy trying to keep up – add to this some of the events only last a certain time …so some players want to get that achievement before it’s gone – and I can’t blame them because some of the items offered there are pretty cool – cool for pvp …..

by the time our server gets to focus on wvw – we steamroll the enemy in top gear.

just because our servers don’t wvw / pvp 24/7 doesn’t make any less qualified pvp’rs.

fighting wvw isn’t rocket science and the elitists that totally write off pve better not whine about casual servers being way better geared for pvp than they are, because that’s the current state of the game.

(edited by Ricky.4706)

in WvW

Cachu.9067

Server pride is something that any hardcore WvWers could not careless. I would prefer a distinction between PvE and WvW servers, resulting more room to balance sides.

Thats interesting, because I have seen several NA players staying up to help the OCX and SEA timezone players, but then Im not sure if theyre Hardcore or not.

Perhaps a sense of rivalry and support is at play for WvW, Guild identity, guild kudos? rather than server pride? interesting.

in WvW

Posted by: illo.5106

illo.5106

In the time of bandwagons, server pride is kinda stupid. If you think, your server is soooo op – just wait until the big guilds leave (again), ’cause they are fed up with waiting hours caused by (mostly) their effort in PvE/WvW that leads to tons of WTJ players.

So server pride = lol.

(edited by illo.5106)

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Actually i did care about server pride and all WvW on the server i played we all had.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Cachu.9067

In the time of bandwagons, server pride is kinda stupid. If you think, your server is soooo kitten op – just wait until the big guilds leave (again), ’cause they are fed up with waiting hours caused by (mostly) their effort in PvE/WvW that leads to tons of WTJ players.

So server pride = lol.

This is interesting, why play on a server if it is losing? why not transfer, that way you can have the “our server is the best” server pride chant.

Yet players stay and play the servers theyre on, some only leaving to the highest bidder, others wanting to make a name for themselves in a lower tier. Server is irrelevant? then why have server vs server? and not simply guild vs guild? as the game title implies.

in WvW

illo.5106

Yet players stay and play the servers theyre on, some only leaving to the highest bidder, …

Some? As soon as it was clear that our server is T1 AND kinda successful, we got lots of new players from lower tier servers before the season started. Not 2 or 3 new player, nope, so many, that the big wvw guilds can’t join with their whole team into wvw without waiting for hours.

Server is irrelevant? then why have server vs server? and not simply guild vs guild? as the game title implies.

What should change? T1 strategy is only:
- Who has the bigger zerg? and
- Who has a 24/7 coverage?

If you make it GvG nothing changes. Then people will try to get in a big guild, like now on a populated server, to have a) a big zerg and b) coverage.

For GvG/guild pride there’s tPVP. Too bad you need skill for that, maybe that’s why it isn’t popular, ‘cause you can’t hide in the zerg.^^

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

I kinda like how it is in lower tiers, where servers have a sort of personality. It’s filled with people who have a lotta pride (sometimes too much, haha). And it’s always the same old friends too.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Cachu.9067

Guilds can accept or decline membership. Can control their members with their rules and regulations or kick as needed. It has been mentioned that Hardcore WvW do it for their guild not the server, I found that was an interesting comment.

Guilds can do many things depending on their structure and leadership, and willingness of its members. If it falls apart it is on that guild not server.
Guilds who contribute in wvw get recognized for their efforts, their success is their to see, losses vs wins.

As for players seeking better fortune and rewards, another server that is successful in getting them to those heights of greatness, are more appealing, depending on what they value. Displacement of regular players can happen causing distress, a victim of their servers popularity.

If your Server is valued, and more popular, does that make the server valuable? or just the guilds that have helped it become so?

(edited by Cachu.9067)

in WvW

Ricky.4706

the server pride imo is what adds to the rpg value of the game and prevents it from becoming just another fps shooter game. It’s really supposed to be guild pride – but being that servers are being graded – the server substitutes the individual guild.

if this were a real war…then the servers would be countries – and everyone is moving to the country with the biggest military.

apparently whats happening is this is more of a true to life simulation, but at the cost of pace and enjoyment of players.

would you stay in a country with a weak military involved in a world war ?

the top servers could be considered the equivalent of the US, Russia and China

(edited by Ricky.4706)

in WvW

Posted by: Jaxs.5830

Jaxs.5830

Server pride went out the window when they left transfers open for so long, plus WvW is a system that rewards stacking to T1. How do you have pride when most of your server is from other servers and most of them will transfer off the moment the wind shifts.

in WvW

Cachu.9067

Server pride went out the window when they left transfers open for so long, plus WvW is a system that rewards stacking to T1. How do you have pride when most of your server is from other servers and most of them will transfer off the moment the wind shifts.

So if server pride is bought it is of less value? when you see sports teams stacked with international or non local players vs local recruits it leaves a bad taste?
But is server pride about always winning? When you see fans who support their favorite team, despite the fact they have never won, or havent won anything in x length of time, it seems pointless to keep supporting them, yet people do, so why do they? The guild is after all a community that belongs to a greater community.

(edited by Cachu.9067)

in WvW

illo.5106

@Cachu
Sure guilds can choose who can join and who not. But since Ultima the OpenPvP rule #1 is: bring more, you’ll win.

Same with guilds: They are forced to accept new members, if someone else brings more. And no, skill doesn’t win. Played other MMOs before and there were ofc the usual “elite clans” – and they were all mashed by Zerg McBlobald. Maybe they survived longer than the usual rdm trash, or killed half of the zerg – but they always went down. That’s why in fact all big WvW guilds keep recruiting all the time, because they want to bring more.^^

So… choice is an illusion.

I’d agree with guild pride though.

If your Server is valued, and more popular, does that make the server valuable? or just the guilds that have helped it become so?

Answered that b4

just wait until the big guilds leave (again), ’cause they are fed up with waiting hours caused by (mostly) their effort in PvE/WvW that leads to tons of WTJ players.

The guild is after all a community that belongs to a greater community.

Nope, a guild is something, that separated from a greater community. A group with special interests and in WvW usually with an elitist opinion (and gloat towards the “randoms”).

(edited by illo.5106)

in WvW

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

point being – anet is offering so much – it’s making everyone dizzy trying to keep up

This. I don’t know what game the paradigm of an endless flow of random fluff and junk manifested itself but it has ruined true RvR MMORPGs, which this game certainly is not. I know someone who told me he was going to spend his Laurels on a pet. A PET. I didn’t even know this was an option. He told me this and I was (am) baffled.

- Server pride doesn’t come from live events, where the vast majority of players spend time. Chasing a little automated script around

-There is no community within a server itself. No one cares about anyone else because everyone can get everything BY THEMSELVES; solo. Part of a community in MMORPGs comes from being forced to work with others. THIS is how you make friends. ANET’s let everyone do everything roots itself down to class design and all the way to their events. I leveled entirely solo, not once was someone else required. No longer am I forced to work with others. In fact, I don’t know if I’ve spoken to other people except my RL friends… because I have ZERO need to! Even crafting is a joke. In other games you either wasted all your time crafting or you ran a business and TALKED to other people, or you were forced to have others craft missing parts for you.

- Elitism doesn’t exist in this game. It sucks. There is no defining standout guild that the server recognizes. No banter about who is the best. Just random guilds. I play WvWvW a couple hours a night. If you asked me to name 5 guilds on my server I wouldn’t be able to.

- Server rotations. I can’t name a single guild that is unique to another server. They rotate out and I can’t remember by the time they come back around.

No server pride. ~

in WvW

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

Server pride is a joke.

At the most you can get guild pride.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

point being – anet is offering so much – it’s making everyone dizzy trying to keep up

This. I don’t know what game the paradigm of an endless flow of random fluff and junk manifested itself but it has ruined true RvR MMORPGs, which this game certainly is not. I know someone who told me he was going to spend his Laurels on a pet. A PET. I didn’t even know this was an option. He told me this and I was (am) baffled.

- Server pride doesn’t come from live events, where the vast majority of players spend time. Chasing a little automated script around

-There is no community within a server itself. No one cares about anyone else because everyone can get everything BY THEMSELVES; solo. Part of a community in MMORPGs comes from being forced to work with others. THIS is how you make friends. ANET’s let everyone do everything roots itself down to class design and all the way to their events. I leveled entirely solo, not once was someone else required. No longer am I forced to work with others. In fact, I don’t know if I’ve spoken to other people except my RL friends… because I have ZERO need to! Even crafting is a joke. In other games you either wasted all your time crafting or you ran a business and TALKED to other people, or you were forced to have others craft missing parts for you.

- Elitism doesn’t exist in this game. It sucks. There is no defining standout guild that the server recognizes. No banter about who is the best. Just random guilds. I play WvWvW a couple hours a night. If you asked me to name 5 guilds on my server I wouldn’t be able to.

- Server rotations. I can’t name a single guild that is unique to another server. They rotate out and I can’t remember by the time they come back around.

No server pride. ~

Wow, you have a sad Guild Wars 2 life and I’m glad it’s nothing like mine, heh.

My guild keeps in touch with most of the Gate of Madness WvW guilds. Even though we’re small, a lot of people on our server and other servers know us and have said kind things about us (as well as not kind things, hahaha). Heck, we try to also keep tabs with the PvE guilds.

I know and recognize regular WvW guild tags on half a dozen servers we regularly face and have friends on a couple of those servers that I regularly talk about how things are goin on our server and their servers. And, like me, they’re all people who care about how their server is doin, the health of their match up, and the health of WvW in general. I imagine there are people like that on every server.

It’s easy in WvW to just show up for some hours, follow a taco (extra points if it’s always a taco in EB), and have no idea about what the WvW heart of your server is. You can earn kills, badges, karma and such doin that but miss out on the context, on the “living” stories that are WvW.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Ricky.4706

not so in darkhaven – I really appreciate the darkhaven community – you can count on them to heal you when you are down, you can count on them to be patient in teaching you how to run a dungeon or win a fight in wvw – they taught our pve community to fight effectively in roughly 2 1/2 weeks – you can count on them to be willing to die 1,000 times with you in wvw – win or lose we have fun.

They may not be in wvw all the time, but they are my family. The people that complain about not winning, don’t last and all we are left with is fun loving people – that is actually a good thing.

Hail Darkhaven!!

Don’t fall asleep on us, we are a very tight community and when we decide to go all out wvw ….we will kick your kitten!!

(edited by Ricky.4706)

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

The point isn’t whether server pride is a good thing or not … the point is that server pride doesn’t hold a candle to the many other advantages (for both WvW and PvE) of being on a high pop server. I’ve stayed on Devona’s Rest (which for a while had a credible WvW population) since launch but I have to guest simply to participate in almost any PvE event and I don’t even bother with WvW (my favorite game mode) anymore because it is so hopelessly screwed up. The mere fact that so many folks have transferred from one server to another (often repeatedly) should (but apparently doesn’t) tell ANet that server-vs-server-vs-server is a failed concept.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Ricky.4706

i wouldn’t say server vs server is a failed concept , as much as competitive pve is a failed concept – which is what wvw basically is.

From the research I’ve done so far in rpg pvp – they are trying to simulate real life war …and real life warfare is not fair – so the outcome is already per-determined – biggest military wins. that’s not competitive – that’s history.

in WvW

Posted by: arKRazor.8654

arKRazor.8654

Trying times for Devona’s, I’ll agree with that. Our roster of WvW oriented guilds collapsed a few months ago. First two weeks of the season attracted a lot of new blood but blowouts will turn them off to the game mode.

Halfpint Sapper – Poorly-traited Asuran Engineer/CatHound/Part-time Warbanner

Devona’s Rest [OHai][GloB]

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

It may sound goofy but I just have a committed personality. If I like something enough, a genre of music, a movie, a place- I won’t phase out of it. Once I like it I like it for good. And from day one of my participation in WvW I’ve loved every minute of my time with Dragonbrand. We may not be a top server, we may not even be in the top 5, but I love the people and our strategies. And I may only feel this way because I’m a part of it but I also feel we’re a very individually strong server. So I stay with it because I like it and I don’t phase like some people will. Now that I’m connected to my server, I don’t plan to ever leave. I’m not a sore loser and if we get roflstomped there’s always next week.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: THE Dentist.5960

THE Dentist.5960

I kinda like how it is in lower tiers, where servers have a sort of personality. It’s filled with people who have a lotta pride (sometimes too much, haha). And it’s always the same old friends too.

So true, although I still consider NSP a smaller server. Pride in a server comes from a community. With all of the bandwagonning that has gone on I would say that most servers are having a hard time with that.

VoxL (NSP)
Doom Strykër [Warr] Doom Ryder [Ranger]
Doomku [Guard] Doom Wrack [Mez]

in WvW

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

SoR is my home. If my guild left for w/e reason…it’d be a hard pill to swallow, but I’d stay.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Kitten server pride, but don’t be server hopper. You select server and stay there until they migrate servers.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: aleaf.4901

aleaf.4901

I do enjoy the rival servers… the server pride speaches. I love the way each bitterly grudges, and speaks ill of eachother. it makes things special. to envelope oneself in it and fight harder…you been havoc teaming for 12 hours and your body is worn out… eyes getting heavy. you fight harder because your server is behind, and you refuse to die to this specific server. not now…not ever. lol…good times…good times

spanking the dolyak since beta baby.

in WvW

Posted by: Cribbage.2056

Cribbage.2056

Identifying with a server is no different from identifying with any other team. Most people develop some strong feelings, but some people have no feeling at all about it. Neither is right or wrong, it is just human nature.

in WvW

Ricky.4706

like i said in my earlier post – the servers are symbolically like countries -

if i said your country sucks, it’s corrupt, full of losers, and it’s education system creates idiots, everyone on your server is lazy and fat, they sound and smell like sniveling orcs, why do you even bother ? that’s different ? you’d agree and just say, “yeah, but we got the blob” -snort snort snivel snivel- ?

if there is no server pride – then why can’t t1 servers admit they are just fat and need massive round the clock coverage to compensate for their lack of skill ? why do they insist they have this amazing strategy when none can compete due to their overpopulated servers ?

if there is no server pride- then what I just said shouldn’t bother anyone. ^.^

not saying I mean any of this, but I am saying everyone has server pride one way or another. :p

(edited by Ricky.4706)

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I do enjoy the rival servers… the server pride speaches. I love the way each bitterly grudges, and speaks ill of eachother. it makes things special. to envelope oneself in it and fight harder…you been havoc teaming for 12 hours and your body is worn out… eyes getting heavy. you fight harder because your server is behind, and you refuse to die to this specific server. not now…not ever. lol…good times…good times

Speaking of rival servers, I also enjoy the feeling when we put our differences aside in the jumping puzzles. I’ve heard talk of people being trolled in jumping puzzles but I’ve never personally experienced it and I’ve completed all of them on 3 characters. And I’m TERRIBLE at jumping puzzles, laughably terrible, so there was plenty of time for people to interfere. But I’ve never once had someone kill or even try to kill me while I’ve been in one. They just jump by or near me as though I’m one of their own and I kind of like that temporary peace. It’s like “yeah… On the battlefield I’d love to kick your face… But we both hate this sh_t so let’s just get it done.”

in WvW

Cachu.9067

Speaking of rival servers, I also enjoy the feeling when we put our differences aside in the jumping puzzles. I’ve heard talk of people being trolled in jumping puzzles but I’ve never personally experienced it and I’ve completed all of them on 3 characters. And I’m TERRIBLE at jumping puzzles, laughably terrible, so there was plenty of time for people to interfere. But I’ve never once had someone kill or even try to kill me while I’ve been in one. They just jump by or near me as though I’m one of their own and I kind of like that temporary peace. It’s like “yeah… On the battlefield I’d love to kick your face… But we both hate this sh_t so let’s just get it done.”

This is interesting, and apparently a common complaint that jumping puzzles should not be in wvw, it lures the unwanted (PvE player? Achievement hunter? noob?) into the wvw environment taking up valuable slots for players who do actively wvw. Im not sure if the current jumping puzzles on all borderlands are now a separate instance and not considered part of wvw fighting population, but you do still need to enter WvW to get to the jumping puzzle.

I have seen Guilds enter wvw as a zerg just to do jumping puzzles. Protecting each other from unwanted attacks and seen some “None shall pass” Rivalry going on preventing players from doing the jumping puzzle, camping the zone in areas of each world making sure that players wont be able to do it today, and if they tried to make a break for it, they get swamped. Some friendly and not so friendly competitive battles, a see saw struggle to keep the others out. But as you have said co operation takes place as well.

Its interesting that if you were to call out in the wvw borderlands and EB asking for people to come do the jumping puzzle you may get some negative responses. When in a WvW environment is it fair to pull players away from their role inside by asking for help? the answer is no its not, but does it impact on the other players who suddenly see half there squad disappear to go do that jumping puzzle, making defending or attacking impossible till numbers are resupplied and re organized?

If you dont care about the wvw environment and the server vs server or server pride, then it wouldnt matter to you the impact your innocent query has had. If you do care, your left with just a few options, work with those individuals attempting to do the jumping puzzle, calling for guild support, or going it alone, braving the player sharks that may or may not lurk inside.

in WvW

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

:/

The JP’s aren’t considered part of W3 though. That’s one of the reasons they made them instanced in the first place.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in WvW

Cachu.9067

:/

The JP’s aren’t considered part of W3 though. That’s one of the reasons they made them instanced in the first place.

You still have to enter wvw to do them, lets say a guild that has 30 players wanting to do the jumping puzzle but decided to wait for stragglers, and go roaming to kill a few champs while they wait, or invite players in wvw to join along if they want there jp daily done.

those 30 plus player unintentionally can be disruptive to population balance since theyre not their to specifically wvw.

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

If you do care, your left with just a few options, work with those individuals attempting to do the jumping puzzle, calling for guild support, or going it alone, braving the player sharks that may or may not lurk inside.

I may have misunderstood this but I’d just like to say for the record; WvW is almost exclusively what I do in GW2, and I contribute my efforts 110%. The only time I’ve done the puzzles is to get them out of the way because I’m a completionist and like to 100% areas as soon as possible. Every time I’ve done, and any time I happen to in the future, I always do them alone. Because losing one player won’t kill the server especially considering I’m not commander material.
But if what you’ve said is positive and not negative, then yeah. If you’re going to do a jumping puzzle in WvW don’t try to bring a group with you. Do it on your own time and if you run in to a friendly so be it, if you run in to an enemy so be it. Get it done and get back to the fight.

in WvW

Cachu.9067

If you do care, your left with just a few options, work with those individuals attempting to do the jumping puzzle, calling for guild support, or going it alone, braving the player sharks that may or may not lurk inside.

I may have misunderstood this but I’d just like to say for the record; WvW is almost exclusively what I do in GW2, and I contribute my efforts 110%. The only time I’ve done the puzzles is to get them out of the way because I’m a completionist and like to 100% areas as soon as possible. Every time I’ve done, and any time I happen to in the future, I always do them alone. Because losing one player won’t kill the server especially considering I’m not commander material.
But if what you’ve said is positive and not negative, then yeah. If you’re going to do a jumping puzzle in WvW don’t try to bring a group with you. Do it on your own time and if you run in to a friendly so be it, if you run in to an enemy so be it. Get it done and get back to the fight.

Not a critique just an observation of PvE in PvP areas having impact on the wvw environment.

in WvW

Posted by: Deus Fatorum.2473

Deus Fatorum.2473

Ok, wonder if their are any TC’ers in here, we definitely have server pride…

Heck we even have a battle cry lol. True server transfers and band wagons are definitely in WvW and a problem, and true we have had the occasional TC’er leave, and rarely a guild, but we have also had some of our top commanders offered buckets of gold again and again by higher tier servers(T1), and refuse to leave TC.

So you can’t tell me server pride doesn’t exist… well at least it is there on TC.

=)

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Not a critique just an observation of PvE in PvP areas having impact on the wvw environment.

Ah okay I apologize. I felt like I was being called out or something and I was like O__O. But yeah, it definitely does have an impact. Infact, I’ve seen our entire zerg vanish into Obsidian Sanctum before which left us totally defenseless for over an hour…

in WvW

Posted by: Ciuffo.6384

Ciuffo.6384

Server Pride is mainly for wvw, except few PVE events ofc.
And with queues guilds have to decide if they prefer server pride while waiting in LA or transfer to a new server.

Ciuffo
GM and Commander of Leoni Bianchi [Lion]
Piken Square

in WvW

illo.5106

From the research I’ve done so far in rpg pvp – they are trying to simulate real life war …and real life warfare is not fair – so the outcome is already per-determined -

It’s not simulating war, maybe only skirmishes. But even that’s crap, ‘cause I’ve never seen a military operation, where a soldier blob followed it’s leader like lemmings and conquered this way keeps and moved on.

Neither I’ve seen switching “soldiers” from team Adolf to team Winston, because they were losing.

It’s no war, it’s simply farming (especially on T1 servers) someone who’s not that dumb like the AI.

biggest military wins. that’s not competitive – that’s history.

That’s why the Vietcong, North Korea, Israel, Iran and the Mudjaheddin lost the war… err, wait what?

This “THIS IS WARTA” metapher is kinda annoying, so sorry for trolling. It’s like saying, CS simulates war – sure, were aren’t soldiers hopping around with sniper guns and shooting them from the hip…

in WvW

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

A lot of people on my server are a bunch of self-centered and arrogant kittens. A small lot are the best people you could ever wish to play with. The rest I have never met, even in a packed LA.

A large majority of the middle group are also my comrades-in-arms in WvW. If they ever moved servers, so would I. I have no server pride, only pride in the good folk I’ve met on my server.

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

in WvW

Ricky.4706

sorry to hear that, it sounds like you are one of the guys that belongs in Darkhaven with us friendly fun loving folk. I experienced what you said in another server – so I decided the social aspect of gaming was more important to me than winning an unbalanced fight. It makes all the difference in the world and brings the game to life. We don’t want people born to win wvw – we want normal players that enjoy a game, are patient with each other. loyal and willing to learn and support their server mates.

would love to see you and “the best people you can ever play with” @ Darkhaven.

you should guest in our server so you can see what I mean

a slow and steady stroll to success is more fun than a rush to win.

Cheers!

(edited by Ricky.4706)

in WvW

Posted by: Nanyetah Elohi.4852

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

There are many funny and smart people on my server I have begun to recognize in WvW and PvE. I care about them and enjoy playing the game with them. Wanting to be there for people I like, not wanting to let them down, is a strong motivation in my game play.

For the Toast!

in WvW

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

I was forged on ET and ET is where I’ll stay.

I believe a lot of us on ET have some degree of server pride and we feel like family. It feels good to see the same friendly faces every day and know they aren’t going to jump ship.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

I don’t know if it’s server pride, as opposed to gaming ‘community’. I find the TC community absolutely great and enjoy logging into the wvw community, and going out to run a muck somewhere. It’s relaxing, peaceful and fun. Each community is different, some a little more hardcore or tense, some laid back.

You can call it server pride, but I don’t think it does it just…. I would say fidning your gaming community goes hand in hand with WvW. I’ve been on DH and Kaineng on the climb, neither come close to TC’s community (well Kaineng had its moments but not like TC).

I hear they may even reinstate karaoke nights. Games are meant to be fun first, that’s why they don’t call it a ‘job’

Catch ya in the battle,
~X

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

in WvW

Posted by: ptitminou.6489

ptitminou.6489

We have a project… no a dream, of taking Sorrow’s Furnace to gold league one day. Not out of pride, not because we care, but because taking a server from 0 to hero is the challenge we chose. Because some people have friends in other guilds, because we don’t want to be seen as bandwagonners or server-hoppers, you know, the pathetic crowd who values winning over contributing to success, even if it means getting carried. That false sense of pride is only suitable for the insecure people.

We definitely do not look for a sense of self-importance, I mean, we know that just making the silver league will be extremely hard and that Gold is near-impossible, but you will never get to the moon if you don’t shoot for the stars!

We only hope that this project eventually proves that bandwagoning/stacking is not the only way up to those so miserable that they feel they always have to join the winning side to feel good about themselves realize the error of their ways. To show that some people can actually accomplish things if they dare try.

kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten
Because censorship is the most important part of the MMO business.

(edited by ptitminou.6489)