Server with "best" roamers/havok squads?

in WvW

Posted by: Xtinct.7031

Xtinct.7031

Choose only one server with the largest collection of known top roamers and havok guilds, drop a few guild names for reference.

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

They’re all the same. I’ve been on every server NA with the exceptions of; DR, BG and AR. Have also been on 3 EU servers.

The communities have subtle differences and personalities but in the grand scheme of things, there’s little difference.

EU roamers are slightly better than NA in terms of skill while their zergs are actually slightly worse.

As for individual server “best”(s), I would say that TC, FA and HoD have some of the better solo/small scale roamers. Mag used to have a lot of solid roamers but ever since it got bandwagoned, nearly everyone has become a zergling. So I’m truly not sure of the state of the server from the other side. As far as I can tell, many of our veteran roamers have left or caved to the blob-life.

I can’t think of many guilds off the top of my head that are formidable solo/small scale but I would recognize them in-game if I saw them. I’m familiar with fighting you, actually, assuming you’re the blue-scarfed Thief. You’re quite good as are a couple of your other guild mates but the same doesn’t hold true for all of you. Much like 95% of the other common roaming guilds, the bads are carried by the couple that are truly good.

As for the OP, though. I couldn’t choose just one. I know many good roamers that have my utmost respect spanning many different servers. That’s why it’s fun to transfer and meet new people all the time (:

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Some friends went to mag and say it’s great cause it doesn’t feel like they need to carry the players around them while roaming.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Some friends went to mag and say it’s great cause it doesn’t feel like they need to carry the players around them while roaming.

So they are so bad they get carried by those roamers on mag instead? Its a matter of perspective, lol.

I dont call any roamer good unless I know their skill level. Which I never do. Most run gank builds designed to roflstomp 1v1 and they kitten well know it. I know it when I run my condi scrapper. The only way I can truly test my skills is going 1v2 or 1v3 as that not only require combat skills but also quick thinking and tactics with target choice and executing stomps against the odds.

Thats why I cant judge other roamers – they’re not fighting 2 or 3 of me (unless I am on my mesmer).

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Easy, it’s Whiteside Ridge because #Bandwagon

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Very much how I feel, honestly.

What I look for when I transfer is players that I can depend on when I’m roaming in a small, squadless group and people I genuinely enjoy speaking with and seeing in the chat.

Mag has a whole lot of trolls but you learn to love them if you’re not overly sensitive. The only people that get upset by it are the ones that take every joke on a personal level.

I enjoy being able to wander about by myself, getting in to trouble and being able to trust that when an allied player happens by they most times will be of good support.

It’s a good server and one I plan to stay on for awhile. It’s just unfortunate that so many have bandwagoned to it (and for the record, I moved prior to it’s popularity, #hipster) and diluted the community.

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

More crutch builds.

in WvW

Posted by: MidoriMarch.8067

MidoriMarch.8067

Choose only one server with the largest collection of known top roamers and havok guilds, drop a few guild names for reference.

NSP , SBI , YB and mag got some decent roamers/havoc

worst would be HoD

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

This is why my main account hasn’t moved from Mag since I put it there. I bounce my other account around a good bit and I’m my experience mag has a higher concentration of good roamers.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

So they are so bad they get carried by those roamers on mag instead? Its a matter of perspective, lol.

It’s not about being carried, it’s about knowing you can jump into an outnumbered fight and knowing the other guy isn’t going to immediately bail or die.

LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

Over the past 3 months, most of my fights against very skilled roamers (not gank squads) have been against JQ and Mag. Like Spell said though, it’s often the case that a couple of REALLY good players tend to do the carrying. The skilled roamers I have fought belong to guilds with not-so-skilled players as well.

in WvW

Posted by: Weekapaug.6239

Weekapaug.6239

I’m on Mag atm, and as of late some of the most coordinated & annoying small/havoc groups I have come across are the QQ & T-Rex guys, they really know there stuff.

in WvW

Xtinct.7031

I’m on Mag atm, and as of late some of the most coordinated & annoying small/havoc groups I have come across are the QQ & T-Rex guys, they really know there stuff.

Mag used to be a haven for skilled roamers, but I that was long ago. However, QQ from BG is one of those notable guilds that everyone loves to hate.

Honestly, I will have to disagree with many of the suggested servers mentioned with the exception of JQ and BG.

JQ and BG has a collection of some of the best roamers imo. What made em hard? Id say consistantly engaging in outnumbered fights in T1 and T2, and perhaps alot of dueling practice.

If you go up agaisnt BG or JQ get ready to throw 2-3x your guys to kill 4-5 of them. Ive seen them do some crazy outmanned fights all while getting sieged down.

in WvW

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Fighting JQ this week it doesn’t feel that way. There are a few solo roamers that seem good, but “solo roaming” really doesn’t describe one or two people being chased down by a group of 5 or 6.

Honestly not blaming them, that’s the game. It’s just hard for me to personally judge their skill level when I’m downing them 3 or 4 times and each time them getting power resed by 5 teammates.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in WvW

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

NSP , SBI , YB and mag got some decent roamers/havoc

worst would be HoD

I’m on SBI and I haven’t seen them

in WvW

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

What’s a roamer?

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

What’s a roamer?

A dying breed…

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

ive once been told on what a roamer is

Yuffi: “Norbe – you missed the point of being a roamer – our purpose is to solo cap camps, towers and keeps Please note it’s ok if you do this in a group of two or three, but anything over five in the party is cheating – I know because this is how it was in the bottom tiers at off peak times.”

so basically the server with the highest PPT has the best and most efficient roamers to date.

edit: lemme know if this answers your question to prevent this thread from turning into a match-up thread like its intended to do

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness

(edited by Norbe.7630)

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Anyone who’s roaming in groups of 4 – 8 as a guild aren’t roaming. Half the point of roaming is the danger of it. You take away the risk, you’re just another insta-gib pain in the @ss for the players who are actually looking for fights.

I don’t know what people expect when they gank solos or pugs groups then laugh like “oh we’re so pro.” If you’re all communicating be it on TS or through group/squad chat, on top of being familiar with each other, you’re already at a huge advantage over any random groups you meet.

As far as I’m concerned, you are not roaming if you’re not putting yourself at a high level of risk. Which means you’re either solo or with 1 – 2 friends tops, looking for fights against 1 – 6 players/picking at the slow ones in a zerg, and actually taking the risk of being picked apart instead of having enough people that you can just hard res anyone who goes down.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

As far as I’m concerned, you are not roaming if you’re not putting yourself at a high level of risk. Which means you’re either solo or with 1 – 2 friends tops, looking for fights against 1 – 6 players/picking at the slow ones in a zerg, and actually taking the risk of being picked apart instead of having enough people that you can just hard res anyone who goes down.

Wasn’t you the guy that said to me that picking off people trying to catch with zergs wasn’t getting fights?

WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Wasn’t you the guy that said to me that picking off people trying to catch with zergs wasn’t getting fights?

I said it wasn’t looking for fights, not that it wasn’t roaming. Since most people in zergs won’t be running builds that they’re capable of defending themselves with.

I’m being contradictory though, you’re right. My point was only that if you want a good fight, chasing zergs isn’t the right place to find it.

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Fighting JQ this week it doesn’t feel that way. There are a few solo roamers that seem good, but “solo roaming” really doesn’t describe one or two people being chased down by a group of 5 or 6.

Honestly not blaming them, that’s the game. It’s just hard for me to personally judge their skill level when I’m downing them 3 or 4 times and each time them getting power resed by 5 teammates.

That’s been my experience with JQ. Fighting them and during my time on the server.

LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Waffle.3748

Waffle.3748

Anyone who’s roaming in groups of 4 – 8 as a guild aren’t roaming.

Then what are they doing? What do you want guilds to do, not play together and enjoy themselves? Must everyone be solo to trio?

I don’t know what people expect when they gank solos or pugs groups then laugh like “oh we’re so pro.” If you’re all communicating be it on TS or through group/squad chat, on top of being familiar with each other, you’re already at a huge advantage over any random groups you meet.

Nobody with half a brain does this. Everyone who plays together is well aware of their advantages and how to use them. To state otherwise is disingenuous at best.

What does risk have to do with anything? Everyone is going to take an advantage in an outnumbered situation, so why does everything have to be all or nothing? There’s a reason why people just don’t blindly throw themselves at zergs without an advantage like positioning, siege cover, pug support, or an escape route in case things go south. It’s because it serves no purpose other than #YOLO. Players generally enjoy winning, so they will mostly play in a manner that will net them the highest chances of either (at best) winning or (worst case) stalemating an opponent

If we use your example of a 4-8 man group, who are I guess taking scenic tours of the borderlands since you said they weren’t roaming, and scale up the number of enemies you consider to be fights while roaming (would be 4-20ish depending on the first group), what would be the difference? Both groups are facing the same numerical disadvantages.

As for the OP, I would say in general you are likely to encounter better roamers from Maguuma than other servers. It has it’s share of people who hopped on the bandwagon, but you’ll generally find a good many that are smarter than your average bear.

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

-snip-

You’re missing the point entirely. Roaming will be defined differently depending on who you ask.

My opinion of it is that if you’re taking refuge in numbers, you’re not roaming, you’re havoc or gank.

I don’t expect anyone to agree because roaming is a vague concept. Most of what it is is doing “things” on a smaller scale. Back before servers were linked, some of the lower tiers considered zergs to be groups of 10+ yet in the higher tiers, 8 – 10 was a roaming group.

I don’t think guilds “shouldn’t play together” I just think they’re bothersome when they chase solos across the map in far too many numbers for that one person to fight against. May as well /sleep and let them get it over with because it won’t make a difference when they’ll hard res anyone who you manage to down.

I’ll just assume you’re defensive because you’re always hugging your guild, though. I mean if that’s what you like to do, all the power to you. My opinion shouldn’t interfere with your fun unless you think what I’m saying is somehow relevant.

in WvW

Posted by: Waffle.3748

Waffle.3748

You’re missing the point entirely. Roaming will be defined differently depending on who you ask.

You should have just said that, then.

My opinion of it is that if you’re taking refuge in numbers, you’re not roaming, you’re havoc or gank.

This is fair, but at what point are you “taking refuge in numbers”? Is it 2v2, 5v5, 5v10, etc? As your group increases in size you should be looking for even larger numbers on the opposing side, and while you could say you’d be ganking in a 2v1 scenario, what about a 5v15 scenario?

I don’t expect anyone to agree because roaming is a vague concept. Most of what it is is doing “things” on a smaller scale.

Vague indeed.

I don’t think guilds “shouldn’t play together” I just think they’re bothersome when they chase solos across the map in far too many numbers for that one person to fight against. May as well /sleep and let them get it over with because it won’t make a difference when they’ll hard res anyone who you manage to down.

Again, everyone thinks this.

I’ll just assume you’re defensive

I’m not, just astonished at how someone could put such a narrow limitation on a self admittedly vague part of WvW. But you know what they say about assuming, I’m sure.

because you’re always hugging your guild, though. I mean if that’s what you like to do, all the power to you. My opinion shouldn’t interfere with your fun unless you think what I’m saying is somehow relevant.

About half of my time in WvW is spent by myself or with one of my irl friends, only grouping with the guild when it’s time to get things moving for the night. But I guess you know what I’m doing better than me.

in WvW

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

I think that roaming is more about what you do rather than how many you do it with.

Havoc groups are what happens when you get around 4 people together and start taking towers. Usually the players are all running roaming builds that allow them to hold their own in a fight.

Roaming is more solitary until it evolves into havoc because a few guildies/other roamers joined up.

So my answer is 1–3 players is roaming, 3–8 players is havoc, 8–20 is medium scale zerg, 20–50 is large scale zerg, and 35–70+ is map queue zerg. Those numbers vary a lot based on the typical build of the players running. As an example, 25 well organized and good players will be worth 50+ relatively unorganized players, or 35+ relatively well organized players.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in WvW

Posted by: Fatherbliss.4701

Fatherbliss.4701

I think that roaming is more about what you do rather than how many you do it with.

Basically this right here. Some of the best havok squads I’ve ever run with/fought against had a few things in common: Hard to kill, annoying as heck. If your group pulls the entire zerg to deal with you that is a victory in my book. Generally when I go out for roaming play, we start as a havok squad just attempting to get people to fight.

I can list way more successful havok squads than I can guilds who consistently roam. JQ has always had some really annoying folks who keep you running. BG too. But I also play NA Prime time a lot and that factors heavily into this discussion. Its going to shift by time zone.

Leader of Goats of Thunder [GOAT]
Tarnished Coast: Bringing the Butter to you (no pants allowed)

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

So if I’m soloing towers I’m Havoking and not roaming?

in WvW

Posted by: JDjitsu.7895

JDjitsu.7895

I’d call that roaming. I’ve always called havoking when you have a party sized group. I guess it’s semantics though. There’s no real defenition.

Wiggin/LittleEnder/XeroCool/Filthydirtyrotten/MizDemeanor/EnderThaXenocide/ShadowOfWiggin-
Maguuma & A Few alts on other NA/EU servers

in WvW

Posted by: ventusthunder.5067

ventusthunder.5067

Only my boy Cinnamon would use the word “disingenuous” on the GW2 boards

collector of liquid aurillium

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

BG – Full of zerglings, couple havoc guilds and not a lot of quality roamers. They prioritize open field large scale fights.

TC – Rangers everywhere… I mean everywhere.

YB – Even more Rangers, lots of wall warriors and a few good roamers but their roaming quality overall is sub-par. If DK hits a map, very few roamers mostly PPT blobbing.

Mag – Low tolerance for low skill players. A good number will just leave you if you go down. Good amount of havoc squads (relative to other servers). Frequently runs without tags which encourages roaming. Not a server for the sensitive player.

All the rest – Pretty much the same from one server to the next. I personally like being on a linked server since that typically means getting moved for new fights every few weeks.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Jacion.6302

Jacion.6302

I’d call that roaming. I’ve always called havoking when you have a party sized group. I guess it’s semantics though. There’s no real defenition.

Havoc in essence should be the concept of purposely trying to pull enemies from your main contingent, all other small groups should be roaming.

A havoc group would be the one tapping / capturing everything on map on opposite side of their own zerg in hopes to split enemy zerg off. Tapping Garrison to allow your zerg to stomp bay…etc etc.

Solid havoc can really separate up another team on DBL.

Sneaking through tunnels just to cap greens left camp or ojs the left tower and way point in ebg to pull green zerg out of your land / SM attempt….etc…etc (green just example)

Roamers don’t have the intent to cause map group movement manipulation but rather are just trying to ppt /wxp cap as much as thier size allows.

in WvW

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

hmmm….
ok time for my definition of a “roamer”
one is an elite player who can wipe a 1v10 battle
roamer its like the best among the best

given too much credit here for roamers……..

but ive seen one in action
caught it on video, posted it on cancer forums….
twas on DH vs GoM vs HoD or Ebay matchup pre linking

but today….
there is no roamer i can think of as Jek would say “a dying breed”

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Not really a roamer myself and often just go for soft targets cough not listing those so anyone’s that’s actually competent will probably look good to me.

Probably Mag has the most good roamers though my observations may be outdated. One really weird thing is that they have the highest concentration of solo’ers that will message you to actually have a conversation and not send hate mail. I know it’s weird huh. I mean I’ve gotten hate mail for posting on this forum. They also hold these little dueling groups complete with bouncers that I’ve always found amusing.

FA/NSP also have their fair share of good players that will willingly 1vX without some runaway build.

Another way to spot the quality of the roamers is how many zerglings/defenders they can pull off. Usually you have like a dozen of people that are like “git this guy!” mainly because this person has killed them all seperately and they want to chase he/she off the map, lol. Then again, I’m on SBI where you have people calling for backup against a solo roamer attacking a camp. And sometimes the camp has 3 minutes of RI.

Though I guess with linkings it’s hard to tell who is what.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

Xtinct.7031

Thread got derailed abit by players whom do not actual roam/havok, yet are trying to define it for everyone…

in WvW

Posted by: Jacion.6302

Jacion.6302

Thread got derailed abit by players whom do not actual roam/havok, yet are trying to define it for everyone…

That’s presumptuous and inaccurate

in WvW

Xtinct.7031

Basically this right here. Some of the best havok squads I’ve ever run with/fought against had a few things in common: Hard to kill, annoying as heck. If your group pulls the entire zerg to deal with you that is a victory in my book. Generally when I go out for roaming play, we start as a havok squad just attempting to get people to fight.

I can list way more successful havok squads than I can guilds who consistently roam. JQ has always had some really annoying folks who keep you running. BG too. But I also play NA Prime time a lot and that factors heavily into this discussion. Its going to shift by time zone.

Only guy so far that has a clue about the topic. The rest of you sound like you have a totally different gameplay style and trying to put in some 2cents about something that was not asked of you in the orginal statement. To those individuals, can you name off one notable havok guild or roamer and their server location?

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Your question in the original statement is vague and can be interpreted in many different ways… Your difinition of roaming might not be mine or of the next person there. People are pointing out their experiences with what they belive to be roaming…

How about you give your definition of roaming so people can respond accordingly to exactly what you want?

in WvW

Xtinct.7031

Refer to my statement above from yestarday if you want to know my thoughts on the servers with the best roamers and havoks, and why I beleive they should be considered among the best. I can list a great deal of individuals from those servers with excellent K/D ratios in the field, and even individuals where a full zerg map call on them is not uncommon.

Some of you may call them trolls, but I consider those sort of individuals among the best roamers currently playing in wvw.

(edited by Xtinct.7031)

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Oh, I must have missed your other post. So roamers are small groups of people who take on much higher numbers in a sucessful manner.

Well, some of the ones I know that still run are problably [XT] currently on SBI and [tRex] currently on SoR. My guild [Sold] used to do that too back on Dh, but most of the core players moved on to other games or just play casually now so I wouldn’t include it on a current ones list.

in WvW

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Wherever [JOY] is at any given time is the server with the best havok. Zen and his crew havok better than anyone.

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Definition of a roamer:

I’m trying to solo a camp, party comes in. *party invite, *decline. In say chat: “Sorry guys, solo roaming.”. Running towards a tower, capping tower *squadinvite *decline. In say chat: “Sorry, solo roamer”. Running from tower being caught up in ganking in front of SM *partyinvite *decline. In map chat: “No offense but I don’t want to be in any of your parties!!!” *squadinvite

Roaming is pretty much dead though, thanks to June 23th 2015 and HoT.

in WvW

Posted by: Sneaky Turban.6823

Sneaky Turban.6823

The whole Roaming/Havok definition is pretty clear in my opinion. Havok groups are small groups usually around 5-10, that are focused on ppt, they usually sneak towers or keeps and their goal is to distract the enemy zerg from their main objective, or capitalize on the opponents sticking together as one large zerg.

Roamers on the other hand are solely looking for fights, they usually don’t give two kittens about ppt and only defend/take objectives if they can find fights because of it. Roaming groups usually vary from around 1-8 in my experience depending on the tier, anything over 8 is running into zerg busting territory, which is really just larger roaming groups doing the same thing (finding outnumbered fights).

As for the best roaming server I’d have to say Mag, they don’t have too many organised 5 man groups but they have a lot skilled roamers that run between 1-3 people.

Just a boy playing gw2.

(edited by Sneaky Turban.6823)

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Definition of a roamer:

I’m trying to solo a camp, party comes in. *party invite, *decline. In say chat: “Sorry guys, solo roaming.”. Running towards a tower, capping tower *squadinvite *decline. In say chat: “Sorry, solo roamer”. Running from tower being caught up in ganking in front of SM *partyinvite *decline. In map chat: “No offense but I don’t want to be in any of your parties!!!” *squadinvite

So tag and go on a closed guild raid.

Invite only but no one in the squad complains about that, no tail, everyone got food buffs and decent roaming specs.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Definition of a roamer:

So tag and go on a closed guild raid.

Invite only but no one in the squad complains about that, no tail, everyone got food buffs and decent roaming specs.

I think you missed the part where he said “solo”.
Yah solo is dead… Rip Han…

in WvW

Jana.6831

*she, but otherwise you’re right for once, Jeknar

ETA: And yeah, this was a true story (happend nearly daily) but of course in this thread a joke and of course I wasn’t mad.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Rule #1: “In the internet, everyone is a man until proved otherwise.”

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I flipped several dozen camps and sentries last night with a friend while looking for fights and scouting zergs when they are near. I avoid zerging or large group play unless I am working on my Daily. That is roaming to me.

I do that pretty much every night solo or with a friend and most of my near 5k hours in the game have been spent doing this. I am familiar with the “roaming culture” on a few servers because I have been on a few servers (Mag, YB, TC, BP, FA), linked to some servers (Mag, FA, CD) and fought against most NA servers.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Jana.6831

They and them is a good way to bypass that rule.
I’m not going to send you nudes.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

They and them is a good way to bypass that rule.
I’m not going to send you nudes.

Nah, it’s not necessary. You already said that I should refer to you as a woman (since you are one, or so you say), and I’ll try to remember doing that.