Shatter Evasion Block Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Wow what the hell is this roaming mesmer build that has popped up recently? Constantly dodging with seemingly no downtime, blocks even if a player does manage to get a hit, stability/stun breakers galore, blinks and invis constantly… my warrior cannot keep up. My thief can kill it but it takes a mighty lucky hit. I haven’t seen any body playing it in duels but have run across six or so in WvW roaming in the last week.

Not complaining just curious how to beat the thing. Anyway props to the mesmers taking my lunch money this week.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

Probably PU power or condi

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

Yeah, most likely PU, another build based around the well balanced invisibility mechanic this game has. Just run whenever they turn invisible since there is nothing smart you can do to counter and it will reduce the likelihood of you taking significant burst damage. Attack and try lock them down when they re-appear, which will most likely fail in the first attempt since they will stun break with blink. Run again when they turn invisible, and repeat this process until they are dead or have disappeared away.

in WvW

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

hammer warriors can deal with stealth.

in WvW

Posted by: Razamatazz.9628

Razamatazz.9628

Watch for retaliation after the block as well, I’ve traited that. The scepter block will put 5 stacks of torment on ya, so watch the running around after a scepter block, mine does around 5.6k if you move around the whole time. The sword block does around 1k also, stack those with the retaliation I’ve got after that block and, well, you get the idea.

If it makes you feel any better hammer warriors drive me crazy. Almost as much as the “I only come out of stealth long enough to backstab→heart seeker spam you” thieves =P. Though usually its the 5 guys behind the warrior who curb stomp me while I’m stunned that really get me. Man I hate being chain stunned or hammer punted 3 times in a row, I get so frustrated not being able to figure out how to counter it.

Lydeah – 80 Mesmer
Lorynne – 80 Guardian
[PB] – NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

im not even that good yet with mesmer and I rarely die to anything less than 10 people unless there are necros

(i said rarely not never)

but i’m built pretty tanky 3k armor 3100 attack 46% crit.

my only condi removal is melandru runes, torch skills, and -40% from food

my point is this build is strong but either requires you to be A) very very good or B- fairly low damage (like me)

in WvW

Posted by: EFWinters.5421

EFWinters.5421

Lol people who think invisibility in this game is OP clearly don’t know basic game mechanics.

PROTIP: SIC EM.

Please, get good.

Human Guardian
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Eloquence.5207

Eloquence.5207

They can’t chase you.

“L2P” according to pr0 Thieves
http://youtu.be/k0YDuSLXcX8?t=3m16s
See, Blinding Powder is nothing.

in WvW

Posted by: Heithinn.6508

Heithinn.6508

I play one of those Mesmers that hops around everywhere. The only advice I can give you is -

If it’s standing still – it’s a clone.
If it’s running toward you – it’s a clone about to shatter in your face.
If it has buffs – KILL IT! it’s the real Mesmer.

Thiefs can use Shadow Trap. Ranger pets – I’m told – will stay on the real Mesmer.

There are only so many things we can use to go invisi:

Decoy (Utility Skill): If we are running, then suddenly stop, it’s probably Decoy – check for buffs, see if we re-appear.
Veil: Has a tell tale purple smoke wall.
Mass Invisi. Has a cast time, interrupt if you can. Look for a purple glow.
The Prestige (Torch Skill) 30 sec CD, lasts 3 secs. If you get blinded – we used this, you’ll be burning if we’re near you when we pop back.
Desperate Decoy (Traited): Same as Decoy, but automatic at 25% health

Range people are better off trying to kill this type of Mesmer since it’s a high possibility that they are spec’d so that clones cause conditions to NEARBY enemies when killed.

Chill them, so they can’t move around quickly and your eye doesn’t lose track, and their skills recharge 66% slower. Same idea with Cripple.
Immobilize them – so they can’t dodge and create a new clone.
Torment them – so the more they hop around, the more it hurts.
Weaken them – they can’t dodge and create clones if they have no endurance.
Hint: Mesmers have very few ways to remove conditions, but with both methods they will either remove or steal your boons – so timing is crucial.

Hope that helps!

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

Lol people who think invisibility in this game is OP clearly don’t know basic game mechanics.

Please, get good.

Warrior will need to get really good to use sic em.

in WvW

Posted by: voidwater.2064

voidwater.2064

Please, get good.

Excellent suggestion, it would be awesome if I could use utilities from other classes. That was a great element of GW1.

in WvW

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

Please, get good.

Wow, it’s christmas time already?

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in WvW

Posted by: bOgz.7263

bOgz.7263

Please, get good.

Wow, it’s christmas time already?

Merry Christmas

On topic: Any Condition heavy builds will break the type of mesmer you mentioned

in WvW

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

Abuse the almighty stealth traps. 30 seconds of revealed should be enough. once triggered activate zerker stance and go right for the real mesmer. their only escape is blink and clones’s cripple will not affect you so chase until dead.

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I will try to be more evasive when they disappear. The fights sure are fun as they go on for 5 or so minutes but a bit frustrating.

They can’t chase you.

True enough. The last fight I reset 3-4 times. They cannot kill me if I don’t push the envelope but I cannot kill them either. They are very durable and pretty impressive to watch.

hammer warriors can deal with stealth.

I run a hammer build but I just started the warrior so I still make a lot of mistakes. Against these mesmers even when I land a hit it is frequently blocked. The real problem with the hammer builds is that they are highly telegraphed so I have zero problems dropping one on my thief since all of their attacks are easily dodged. Its their second weapon that usually is the scary one (looking at you mace).

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I had problems with them with an elementalist staff.

Then I switched to double daggers. I spammed bleeding and burning, knocked them down. When they tried to attack, they got dazed. When they tried to run away, I chased them with ride the lightning, then crippled, then chilled.
Mesmers are good when you need to target them, but when you just spam skills and hit things around you, they can’t take it.

I don’t like switching to daggers. Running around aimlessly spamming skills that somehow work feels cheap, but if you can’t beat them…

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in WvW

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Actually, builds that just spam skills and run around will be decimated by a good PU condie build. You’ll pop all the clones with your pbaoe damage, the mes can just walk I to an aoe with the scepter block for the torment, and a low health ele will drop in less than 10 seconds, I’ve done it so many times.

Conditions are a good counter depending on how the mes is playing. I personally iDisenchanter, so it’s nearly impossible to lock me down with condies, would take at least 3 necros with coordinated spam.

The build ultimately has only 2 weaknesses: chasing ability and people that refuse to attack. People that refuse to attack is a hard-counter. The build works on punishing attacks; blocks, clone explosions, movement. No attacking = no killing. A properly played phantasm build will exploit this hard-counter well.

The other weakness is lack of chasing ability. Warriors can abuse this particularly well to disengage and reset. The one thing you have to be careful of is the condition burst. The condition burst from this build is deceptive and very strong. If you try to disengage too late, and the Mesmer manages to tag you with torment, you’ll die before you make it 10 feet. Be very careful of that.

Edit: The torment block in my build does 13k damage on a moving target. It hurts.

(edited by Pyroatheist.9031)

in WvW

Posted by: Razamatazz.9628

Razamatazz.9628

What Pyro said about Phantasm mesmers is true. If I end up with an I duelist and iZerker on me my life gets pretty hard. If you have any companions you can pull out, like a thief, or hounds of Balthazar, and get them on the real mesmer they will track the mesmer in and out of that stealth for ya.

Lydeah – 80 Mesmer
Lorynne – 80 Guardian
[PB] – NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

Any competent Shadow Arts P/D condition Thief counters this particular Mermer build, it’s far from their most difficult match up actually.

It’s a very ‘trolly’ and frustrating spec to fight against, I’m not sure what the devs were thinking on this one.

(edited by Khenzy.9348)

in WvW

Solstice.1097

full knighs + melandru + knights and cavalier trinkets 20/20/30/0/0 PU build with scepter/sword and sword/torch, portal, decoy, veil or blink, mass invis. 2 sigils of energy with bloodlust and force.

it’s really hard to kill a PU mesmer 1v1. especially a tanky one. i tend to hop into a map and run to whatever objective is under attack and try to get inside before it’s capped.

most of the time the enemy won’t sweep with their whole zerg. usually it’s just 1-5 players that will sweep and often I can survive 1v5 long enough for allies to show up for the portal in.

but like I said and some others pointed out, condi’s are the key. I can survive infinitely against 5 guardians unless I make a mistake, but add 1 necro to the bunch and I’m kittened.

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

pressure pressure evade. pressure pressure pressure interrupt. burst.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Solstice.1097

pressure pressure evade. pressure pressure pressure interrupt. burst.

you’re right but it’s really, really hard if you’re not a condi build to keep constant pressure against stun breaks (decoy, sword 3, blink), 2 blocks (scep 2, sword 4), evade on quick CD sword 2, a whole lot of dodges (energy sigils), and 4-6 invis skills (prestige, decoy, veil (can use twice), mass invis, desperate decoy) where every time he goes invis he gets protection, regen, and aegis. Then he has an “oh kitten” button F3 or F4 if everything else is on CD.