Shield Generators need to go or reworked

in WvW

Posted by: vincentx.3180

vincentx.3180

Shield generators are now being used to totally disadvantage defenders. Placed by large offensive groups they can be rotated in sequence to make golems, rams, cats immune to damage. And its usually not possible to destroy them as they are typically placed in back, hiding behind the continuous bubble. I think the original purpose was defensive to help protect the tower/keep siege, but being used offensively like this, it makes all defensive siege worthless. They either need to be completely removed from play or restricted placement to within the tower/keep walls and only by the occupying server. The only other alternative is create another weapon that specifically targets shields generators at a large distance to knock them out temporarily that can be fired through the shield bubble.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

if shield gens go, also delete ACs.

Deal?

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

They are working as intended. A coordinated offense with greater numbers should be able to take a structure from a lessor force.

What does need to end is splash damage to structures. Catas/trebs hitting dirt and damaging walls allows for too much flexibility in offensive placement particularly with the shield gen capability.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: funghetto.1584

funghetto.1584

shield generator should get away for me too.
why? because a 30 group ppl (organized or casual) will eventually get a tower defended by lower force – acs or not acs.

but putting down 3, makes useless to defend (or try to or stuck a 30 ppl group for 20 minutes to a tower)

but hot and all wvw mechanics now is a train to attack attack? right?

thinking of: does anybody knows how to do a combo water? or just go with durability and stay alive?

“There’s no such thing as balance, fairness or honor.”
a Fissure Of Woe player that has no home.

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I like shield gens, but I agree that being able to rotate shields for total immunity promotes lag via Uniblob style of gameplay, to the detriment (yet again) of weaker servers.

I believe this is a typical example of thoughtless implementation – I don’t mean this entirely as a criticism of past developers (history will do that itself), but rather a warning that future developers need to think about the broad implications of their work.

This is why it’s important that the dev team have actual voice-communication (i.e. community aware) blob and guild and roaming WvW players on staff.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

(edited by Svarty.8019)

in WvW

Posted by: jamesdolla.3954

jamesdolla.3954

do you defenders want it so nothing flips ever? I don’t get why you care to defend these towers/keeps that mean nothing. it’s like you built the tower from scratch.

Native Maguuman

in WvW

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

do you defenders want it so nothing flips ever? I don’t get why you care to defend these towers/keeps that mean nothing. it’s like you built the tower from scratch.

Because WvW is about both defense and offense… Not flip wars like EoTM.

I agree with the OP tbh, it’s got to be counterable by a defense team, using offense means. My suggestion would be to add another projectile to Ballistas which pierce the bubble.

Kitten.

in WvW

Posted by: havoktwo.2147

havoktwo.2147

Siege warfare is the biggest turn off for wvw for me.

I just wanna get in there and at em.

Imo sieges should just be used to buy time for defenders to arrives.

Shield generators are cancer.

Worst experience ever wasn’t being wiped by smaller enemy groups but milling about for a good hour during a protracted siege wars.

(edited by havoktwo.2147)

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

Thief or Mes, stealth off the wall, run a disaber to the generator and have an ally blast it with a mortar, then go for the cats/rams.

It’s an order thing. Like in the old days, when flipping a camp, you’d go for the scout npcs first because they caused the most damage short of the Sup, now, you go for the yaks first because if an enemy runs in they’d bubble him. Take out the protection and the rest is a cake walk.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

It’s very easy to counter them, as Hazy has pointed out. There are also other methods- like being willing to walk around the back and come at them from behind and suicide on them until they die.

It still amazes me how many will run around like headless chickens doing nothing useful and then moan about how terrible siege wars are and how they can’t defend against this or that. Or cry when their AC is wiped off the wall.

Engage brain. YOU don’t die, it’s just some pixels. Grab 5-10 people who know to attack the siege not stop at the first available target and you can damage/wipe siege in 1-2 pushes if you are at all organised and not a total squishy.

One of my favourite moments from wvw was when we did this at the north BL tower- 3 of us took out their siege and shields against 40+. It helps to place a few supply traps too so they can’t rebuild. Four or five suicide runs but we managed it- whilst 10-15 people stood and waved from the wall of the tower too afraid to get their pixels hurt.

Learn to think, look at the situation, and act. Don’t wait for others to do it first. Don’t be a sheep!

Of course, if you know they are coming, supply traps can put a big dent in their plans but it seems 90% of wvw players these days don’t carry these or siege disablers and cry for someone else to place them…

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Because WvW is about both defense and offense… Not flip wars like EoTM.

I agree with the OP tbh, it’s got to be counterable by a defense team, using offense means. My suggestion would be to add another projectile to Ballistas which pierce the bubble.

Actually how the game is being played, how Anet as being pairing servers with diferent players timezones, how Anet dont adress maps bugs and keeps/tower bugs that can be exploited in favour od the offense.

Actually WvW is like EOTM… and gw1 AB cap redundancy, a d big GG after cap a empty structure or with 2 or 3 defenders while ur behind the blob.

WVW is ment for pve players feel good with their gimmick build.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Shield generators are ok its the size of there 3 that is the problem as it can cover walls with out needing LOS on what is attking that wall / door. The same thing can be said for AC and many other siegs. LOS of siege should be a must have for a lot of skills and effect to where ppl can hit that siege with attks.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Shield generators are ok its the size of there 3 that is the problem as it can cover walls with out needing LOS on what is attking that wall / door. The same thing can be said for AC and many other siegs. LOS of siege should be a must have for a lot of skills and effect to where ppl can hit that siege with attks.

If Anet touches siege LoS again they will mess up again. >:}

Camera LoS in this game must have akitten code lol… easy to glitch, hard to use if fixed

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.