Should Servers Be Locked?

in WvW

Posted by: usnedward.9023

usnedward.9023

With mega-servers being introduced way back when, I can create a new account, join any server and still pair up with others from any server and meet someone from any server at any given time.

Warning…long post

I was a native Stormbluff Isle since shortly after release. I picked wrong server and used free transfer within a few days to get to the one my son and others was on.
I started WvW 6 months ago or so (I did dailies rarely before that) and enjoyed it but guild was small and foreign (not being insulting but just difficult to understand at times). SBI held their own… good weeks bad weeks.

Speaking to a friend I had recently met; he was on Mag and said his guild was fun to run with and I should transfer. At the time, I was not as heavy into WvW as I am now and thought eh…ok. After studying up on Mag, we were a Tier 1 at the time and the spank fest was on. Now after this six months or so of WvW I have seen some things shift from server to server. One is my friend left… don’t know where he went. Guild became idle and was not as big as I was led to believe. I have found another smaller guild but they are cool to run with.

I took advantage of HoT price and started second account for no particular reason I guess other than to throw away 20 bucks but I use it to test stuff out with new toons instead of buying more slots and thus not committed to play but what I did at the time was pick Jade server which was a Tier 4 and being face rolled in WvW. It was interesting being on the other side.

Now Jade Quarry is a Tier 1 and this leads me to believe that there must have been many transfers for the hatred of Mag is out there.

SO…. The question is should servers be locked in at character creation with no hope to transfer UNLESS you do the delete all toons option? I read so much anger in posts of how this server is weak and that server is strong and this server is favored and so on, how can this all be balanced? Well I thought, maybe locking of servers. Some of you ask you cannot transfer because of Very High population? I did, but just had to wait for non-peak time. I get it that some servers will always be strong but it is only until the next guild transfer and so on. I have ideas on server matching but it is not allowed to be discussed without locking or delete of thread.

Voluntary transfers is an idea where you are rewarded but then you can lop side another server. The current reward to transfer is you pay in less gems…yeah not a good system there. How about you give gems instead? It seems I only get into WvW now when we are up against a more challenging server and competition is high. Simply face rolling everyone back to their keep gets boring.

Thought? Abuse? Laughter? :P

EDIT: Grammar and punctuation. It’s early…getting coffee

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

(edited by usnedward.9023)

in WvW

Posted by: Miyafuji.1340

Miyafuji.1340

The problem is WvW is not making money. Its one of the reasons its neglected. As long as you get exotic gear you can go there and that’s it. WvW players are usually not interested in PVE, they do not care about buying gold, nothing. The only way WvW makes money are the paid transfers when greedy players want to get to the top server which is more expensive to transfer. I do not expect them to change this cause at that point WvW would make exactly 0 money.

I am princess Tomiko Miyafuji, daughter of Lady Zenith the unforgiving…. beware…
My old backstory: http://www.archeageroleplay.com/forum_threads/1873740

in WvW

usnedward.9023

@Miyafuji.1340

I see your points on this. I do know it has been a loooooong while since any major changes to WvW and I can see myself getting map bored at some point.

You can’t force anyone to WvW but I think if there was focus on balancing of the servers better where there was more challenges in fights and keeping captures, well then there may be a bigger interest with current players or attract new players. There would be a strategy to break up large groups from train smashing to forcing to defend.

It’s hard when a precedent is already set….

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

in WvW

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

The problem is WvW is not making money.

I’d say the problem is their business model rather than WvW, cash shops generally get money from new players, “whales” and very casual players, I mean do you think most long term PvE players sitting on mountains of gold are contributing much to the revenue or PvP players? (Revenue of which has had 4 record low quarters in a row, where has all this PvE revenue gone?)

That is why for an MMO if the game can sustain it then sub is the best model, every player is of some value, resources need to be put into many areas of the game, if your game relies on a cash shop then bad companies simply focus excessively on minorities like new players (you could see this with GW2 for years), “whales” who buy every piece of kitten in the cash shop, etc

Which is why whatever critics may say, a 13 year old MMO still has far more players than the rest and still puts most others to shame (including this one) in terms of the way it is run and the resources that are put into different parts of the game.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Two things:

“Jade server which was a Tier 4 and being face rolled in WvW” – Jade Quarry? This server has not been Tier 4. I’m confused by your post.

“Some of you ask you cannot transfer because of Very High population? I did, but just had to wait for non-peak time. " – Server populations are not calculated based on peak-times anymore. It is a rolling average that updates during NA daytime early in the week, which can seem like non-peak time. So people need to wait until guilds or players leave the server or stop playing WvW on it, not wait for non-peak time.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

Jade Quarry was never a tier 4 server, they’ve always been tier 1/2.

Yes certain servers need to be kept lock for the sake of some balancing the unbalanceable population balance, and to prevent the next bandwagon in the high tiers. All the main servers were locked last year for a period of time when links started, some think that was done manually by anet. But after a while most of the servers started coming off the locks when they fell below the population lock threshold, even blackgate and jade quarry.

The problem is WvW is not making money. Its one of the reasons its neglected. As long as you get exotic gear you can go there and that’s it. WvW players are usually not interested in PVE, they do not care about buying gold, nothing. The only way WvW makes money are the paid transfers when greedy players want to get to the top server which is more expensive to transfer. I do not expect them to change this cause at that point WvW would make exactly 0 money.

And why should they expect money to be spent on wvw when they don’t exactly support it much compared to the other sections, and don’t even add stuff in the gem shop for wvw players other than finishers.

Pve players spend the most on the game, because they get catered to the most with updates, content, and cash shop items etc. Not sure wvw makes exactly 0 money either since MO came out and said that they found that most people who wvw are really into pve too, so by their metrics there are wvw players doing pve as well and most likely spending money on that section.

What else is there to buy for wvw use? other than finishers and pushes to buy the expansion to stay competitive.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

in WvW

Posted by: Miyafuji.1340

Miyafuji.1340

The problem is WvW is not making money.

I’d say the problem is their business model rather than WvW, cash shops generally get money from new players, “whales” and very casual players, I mean do you think most long term PvE players sitting on mountains of gold are contributing much to the revenue or PvP players? (Revenue of which has had 4 record low quarters in a row, where has all this PvE revenue gone?)

That is why for an MMO if the game can sustain it then sub is the best model, every player is of some value, resources need to be put into many areas of the game, if your game relies on a cash shop then bad companies simply focus excessively on minorities like new players (you could see this with GW2 for years), “whales” who buy every piece of kitten in the cash shop, etc

Which is why whatever critics may say, a 13 year old MMO still has far more players than the rest and still puts most others to shame (including this one) in terms of the way it is run and the resources that are put into different parts of the game.

I agree with you on this one. I also think P2P is the best business model, but it does not make the most money, that’s why. It is safe to do FTP P2W cashgrab which we see everywhere these days, kuddos to GW2, Anet did not do that here. They cannot go to P2P, everyone would leave (especially WvW players cause lets face it the content quality and amouth in WvW is not P2P worthy), only thing they can do is to add some more fashion wars (and real one, the amouth of stuff there that actually looks good is small) or some sort of premium account stuff, like if you pay xx a month you get better dailies, etc. Its tricky to not get instant community backlash there tho.

One thing is for sure. The WvW servers are obsolete concept as a whole. This should have been reworked the moment megaservers were introduced,, cause it actually reflects PVE population, yet PVE players are unaffected by their home server as everything is megaserver now. On Desolation for example, we constantly have problems with numbers in WvW, yet our server is full, you cannot transfer there. It is full by PVE players that do not actually care what server they are even on.

I am princess Tomiko Miyafuji, daughter of Lady Zenith the unforgiving…. beware…
My old backstory: http://www.archeageroleplay.com/forum_threads/1873740

in WvW

usnedward.9023

I was certain 4 when I set that account up but if I am wrong I was prolly full of wine.

Needless to say current state of map (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH MATCHUP) but more of balance. It is boring when this happens

Again…can’t force WvW on people but there has to be a better way…

Attachments:

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

in WvW

usnedward.9023

Two things:

“Jade server which was a Tier 4 and being face rolled in WvW” – Jade Quarry? This server has not been Tier 4. I’m confused by your post.

“Some of you ask you cannot transfer because of Very High population? I did, but just had to wait for non-peak time. " – Server populations are not calculated based on peak-times anymore. It is a rolling average that updates during NA daytime early in the week, which can seem like non-peak time. So people need to wait until guilds or players leave the server or stop playing WvW on it, not wait for non-peak time.

For statement 1: see above reply…my bad.
Statement 2: I did my transfer on what I would call off peak time for my time zone… Thanks for the clarification though.

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

in WvW

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

This is completely untrue.

Cosmetics in gemstore entice WvW players the same way as they do on PvE or PvP players.

Gearwise, WvW requires quite a diverse stats combination to be successful. It is actually more likely for WvW players to get easy gem to gold as they don’t like PvE grinding.