Siege Timers

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Do they cause more problems than they solve?

It mostly sucks to have to refresh timers all the time. Few like to do it and at best it is a boring chore with no reward. Also siege timers make towers and keeps easier to take. How many times has a tower or keep been flipped because the siege didn’t get refreshed and their is no siege to defend an objective? If your server is like every server I have ever played on/against, the answer is daily.

Maybe timers should be extended or a better removal system implemented.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

3 hr siege decay timer!

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Ninjapotpie.6973

Ninjapotpie.6973

I would say make it so you spend WvW points to extend timer. Make it like the plus 5 supply. 300 points would make siege last say 6 hours even.

Zorin Blackbow / Azrok [DS]
Ranger, Eng ,Commander (ret),Smartass
GoM. Please don’t feed the Trolls.

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Nanyetah Elohi.4852

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

yes! please please more time

For the Toast!

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: slingblade.1437

slingblade.1437

I would say make it so you spend WvW points to extend timer. Make it like the plus 5 supply. 300 points would make siege last say 6 hours even.

I take it you mean the person who built the siege would have their mastery points apply to the siege’s decay timer, which I would not like at all, sorry.

In my experience, the people who are best/most reliable at building and refreshing defensive siege are the ones with the least amount of WXP points to spend simply because they spend a good chunk of their time doing things there is little or no reward for. WXP rewards zerging above all else, and those who zerg the most, on average, know the least about siege placement and care the least to build it or keep it refreshed.

The obvious solution or attempt at a solution would indeed be for Anet to just extend the friggin timers to 2 or 3 hours already. One-hour despawn timers create a ridiculously burdensome chore that inevitably gets pawned off onto that small minority of conscientious players.

Furthermore, a one-hour timer is actually a 30-45 minute timer because if you don’t start moving to refresh when you have 15-30 minutes left, there will be times when you get tied up in other pressing matters (or actually fighting and having fun) which you’ll either have to abandon, or let critical siege somewhere despawn. The current timers have pretty much created a slave-class who spend too much of their time doing things out of a sense of duty, instead of the pursuit of fun, and one day most every last one of them will get fed up with it. Anet needs to show some awareness that these people are paying customers, too, and not just a bunch of donkeys, happy top pull that plow, day after day.

(edited by slingblade.1437)

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Ninjapotpie.6973

Ninjapotpie.6973

I have watched a the NE tower on GoMs map for over a year and a half now. It’s know as Zorins tower but most of GoM . I spend a vast majority of my time in said tower. I am rank 325. I would have no problem spend 300 points on one of my chrs to get a siege timer increase. It very possible to do both. But I understand what you mean. I often feel tied to my tower and have to leave what am doing to go refresh siege. I set a 48 Mon timer on my phone and run back to refresh it. I am all for extended timers but I wouldn’t mind paying for the ability.

Zorin Blackbow / Azrok [DS]
Ranger, Eng ,Commander (ret),Smartass
GoM. Please don’t feed the Trolls.

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Terrier.8732

Terrier.8732

Extended siege timers would be excellent, one way or another. I’m also a defender and it is very disruptive to enjoyable play to keep track of siege timers. Even 2 hours would be a major improvement, but linked to a rank points (low cost) line would be awesome.

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Pumpkin.5169

Pumpkin.5169

Reward people to refresh siege and it will not be a problem.

Pumpkin – Mag

Siege Timers

in WvW

slingblade.1437

Regarding linking siege timers to a mastery line, that would mean you will inevitably have siege with 1-hour timers sitting right next to siege with 2, 3 or 4-hour timers, which still means you need make the rounds every 30-45 minutes. Every piece of siege needs the same timer so that when you refresh a tower or keep, you know it’s ALL taken care of for a set period of time, and that time needs to be 2-3 hours. No need to come up with a complex solution to a simple problem.

Siege Timers

in WvW

Straegen.2938

I like the increased timer idea even if it only applied to some siege such as ACs, trebs, etc and not say rams.

I also like the WvW level idea. A new mastery called Siege Refresh Mastery or Siege Fluff Mastery which allowed players that refresh siege to get longer refreshes.

Reward people to refresh siege and it will not be a problem.

Except bots that constantly refreshed siege… course that may not be such a bad thing.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Lauri.1342

Lauri.1342

I agree! Siege weapons need to have 2h timer.

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnar.4257

Ragnar.4257

Maybe make superior siege (apart from rams) last twice as long.

The timers aren’t in there just for fun; there’s a cap on how many items can be on the map, so the timer is there to keep the map clean, so you aren’t constantly hitting the cap. Being unable to build any seige to defend garrison because you’ve got 100 ACs in Hills would seriously suck.
They also combat seige-trolling.

But trolls tend not to want to shell-out for superior seige, so maybe that’s a viable option.

[Scnd][TA][Dius][aX]

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Jong.5937

Jong.5937

Do you guys not remember when the timer was half as long??? 1hr is a luxury!

As I understand it, there is a technological limit on deployed siege and they don’t seem to be able to distinguish between rams and defences. Personally, when we were asking for the 30 min timer to change, I suggested that siege inside keeps and towers have a longer timer and those in open field shorter (15 mins). It is very rare for attacking siege to be left alone that long and still be needed. That may help with keeping overall siege under control. I also agree superior siege should have a longer timer, although that would not stop someone having to run around every hour, sine it is unlikely all, or even most, siege will be superior.

Piken Square

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Phlogus.2371

Phlogus.2371

We have a web based tool that helps us keep track of every locations siege timer. We assign people on a rotation to refresh the siege. Usually two per keep and one for northern and southern towers. Some times we will flash all objectives with the entire force the knock out everything at once and get matching timers across the map. Our tool alerts us when there is a location with siege about to expire. I run three monitors when I play, 1 has the map of objectives, 1 has the game and one has the siege refresh timers and teamspeak.

Phlogustus Male Char DD Ele
Molen Labe Female Human Necro
Devonas Rest – Black Rose Legion -CF4L

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Siege timers would help WvW trolls.

There are several aspects that would need to be reworked (sige itself) if ANet raised siege timers.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Siege Timers

in WvW

Jong.5937

Siege timers would help WvW trolls.

There are several aspects that would need to be reworked (sige itself) if ANet raised siege timers.

People said the same when they were 30 mins. 1hr has only made an improvement. I don’t think we have found the point yet where lengthening makes things worse.

Piken Square

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

Make guild siege have a 2 hour decay time.

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Do you guys not remember when the timer was half as long??? 1hr is a luxury!

As I understand it, there is a technological limit on deployed siege and they don’t seem to be able to distinguish between rams and defences. Personally, when we were asking for the 30 min timer to change, I suggested that siege inside keeps and towers have a longer timer and those in open field shorter (15 mins). It is very rare for attacking siege to be left alone that long and still be needed. That may help with keeping overall siege under control. I also agree superior siege should have a longer timer, although that would not stop someone having to run around every hour, sine it is unlikely all, or even most, siege will be superior.

They can keep track of type of siege, just not location of siege. Flame Rams probably don’t need so long of a siege timer. Other bits of siege could use longer ones.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Blodeuyn.2751

Blodeuyn.2751

I remember when the siege timer was 30 minutes…

I run a refresh circuit every 45 minutes. Not only do I refresh siege, but I use that circuit to scout. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve thwarted an attack just by doing my rounds.

I kind of like the idea of superior/guild siege having a longer decay timer.

Blodeuyn Tylwyth
Quaggan OP [QOP], League of Extraordinary Siegers [LEXS]
Ehmry Bay

(edited by Blodeuyn.2751)

Siege Timers

in WvW

Jong.5937

I agree. The siege timer is a good way to enforce otherwise good practice in scouting. Personally, I think an hour is kinda OK, but certainly would’t object if it were up to 2hrs.

Piken Square

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Title for refreshing!

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Siege should not have a timer at all, should be treated like upgrades especially when placed in towers. We dont have to refresh the walls or gates, so why the siege? That or add extra upgrades for towers with set siege placements like we have for cannons, oil and mortars; and not placements that are easily destroyed.

I wonder how many devs have used cannons and oil when a zerg is right below aoeing you. You can barely get the second shot fired before you are downed! Have they not realised how useless these are when this happens?! Their great to use when a small group attacks, or when you use the cannon on inner sm to shoot at the outer gates, but the rest are as good as useless.

That or they need to add rewards for defending and scouting and patrolling!

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

(edited by Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054)

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Do they cause more problems than they solve?

It mostly sucks to have to refresh timers all the time. Few like to do it and at best it is a boring chore with no reward. Also siege timers make towers and keeps easier to take. How many times has a tower or keep been flipped because the siege didn’t get refreshed and their is no siege to defend an objective? If your server is like every server I have ever played on/against, the answer is daily.

Maybe timers should be extended or a better removal system implemented.

Siege timers used to be 15min, now its 1 hour and to me its no biggy to spent 1 min to refresh all siege in 1 keep. If you have a couple of mindlikes no siege will despawn on your border.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Siege Timers

in WvW

Straegen.2938

Siege timers used to be 15min, now its 1 hour and to me its no biggy to spent 1 min to refresh all siege in 1 keep. If you have a couple of mindlikes no siege will despawn on your border.

It is relatively easy to refresh a keep with a waypoint. Now add in every tower and keeps without a waypoint. There are players (sometimes myself) that will spend the entire hour refreshing siege in our BL and side of EB.

Then you have servers with low populations in off hours which often means a dozen or so total players across all the maps… what are the chances the siege gets refreshed when that happens?

Refreshing is a stupid mechanic that offers no incentive for most players to do. Why have a system in the game that 99% of the players will not participate in and a large majority outright hate?

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

Siege Timers

in WvW

slingblade.1437

[quote=4006367;Offair.2563:]

Siege Timers

in WvW

slingblade.1437

I don’t recall them ever being any less than 30 minutes, and those timers didn’t actually work all the time. I know many times I saw siege last for 12+ hours that I’m certain was not being refreshed every 30 minutes. So, even if nobody remembered to refresh siege in a keep, at least some of it would still be around, in my experience.

As far as 1 minute to refresh a keep, that sounds like a poorly sieged Keep, with a WP. Straegen has pointed out above the realities of life for many/most of those who care enough to see that siege is refreshed in all important assets.

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Dano.5298

Dano.5298

Siege timers should be longer for lower population servers.

It would increase incentive for transfers to lower population servers also which is a good thing. Obviously if it encouraged people enough to where that server would to be too large for the timer increase that would be awkward but WvW needs more balancing in that regard. Although I very much enjoy playing on an outnumbered server, obviously many don’t and there’s not a great reason currently for people to play on a low pop server.

If not siege timers maybe something like better loot or something like that for low pop servers.

Ev
[SQD]

Siege Timers

in WvW

Straegen.2938

Suspending timers during out manned might be a nice buff.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

There is a possible solution. One person mentioned in map chat tonight that refreshing siege was like popping coins into a parking meter. So why would that not work? If you want the siege to expire it will function as it does now, but during those peak times when refreshing takes away from defending allow us to pop some silver in the meter to extend the timer to a max of three hours.

Theftwind (HoD)

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

I, too, hate the siege refreshing. Just increasing the timer duration is not the solution. What if we gave up refreshing altogether?

Proposal:

• Siege always decays after 15 minutes after built, even if you are still using it.

In addition:

• Increase blueprint drops in WvW to compensate increased usage.
  • Make NPC Workers repair gates, walls when tower/keep/castle is not contested.
  • Increase gate and wall hitpoints significantly.
  • Enchance detecting attacks remotely:
    • Remove the 30 seconds delay in contested status for towers/keeps/castle.
    • Place a damage treshold for making towers/keeps/castle contested (X damage within minute).
    • Send message to all commanders in WvW when friendly tower/keep/castle gets contested.
      • “[Woodhaven] in green borderland is under attack by 23 blue players”
      • Option to filter these messages: none, all, only from my current map.

Defenders would only build siege as a reaction to an active attack.
There would be more opportunities for reactive counter play.
It would take longer to capture towers/keeps/castle.
Players would focus more on PvP instead of boring chores.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

So we had a good discussion tonight on this and here is a proposal for siege decay in regards to a “Metered Solution”.

1) All siege begins with a 1 hour timer as it does now.
2) A “Siege Maintenance Engineer” is installed in Citadel with siege placement numbers for each tower and keep. Camps will be excluded. So for example NE Tower 4 pieces, NW Tower 6 pieces.
3) Paying the Engineer coin or badges will increase the timer to a max of 3 hours per location
4) Amount paid is determined by the amount of siege in the objective multiplied by (x) amount of silver per piece = Y amount of increased time. So as an example 4 pieces of siege times 5 silver per piece = 30 extra minutes. (very rough example)
5) Ticker at the top of screen or on minimap will tell everyone when the next update is due.
6) There would be 3 Siege Engineers per map, one at each spawn point for each team. As a tower or keep flips the specific tower/keep counter for that objective is reset and grayed out if your team does not own it.

What does it accomplish?
A) Lowers the tedium/necessity of having to run a refresh route every 45 minutes.
B) Takes away the issue of some siege being “missed” as the person doing the refreshing is not always the one that placed the siege.
C) Adds a gold and badge sink that should compensate for less blueprints being used.
D) By limiting it to a 3 hour max period still allows someone to let the siege in one tower/keep lapse by not paying for the upkeep in case of griefers.
E) Easily seen when siege upkeep is due as all siege in each towers/keep will be on one timer which should also lower server processing requirements.
D) Everyone can put in what they can afford to increase the timer to the max allowed just by visiting the Maintenance Engineer.

Theftwind (HoD)

(edited by Theftwind.8976)

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

What they can do is the Guild that claim the Tower/Keep/SM can add a buff that make siege timer longer as you can add a buff +5 supply and so on.

They also need to add LOS so its not that easy to destroy siege or simple do so some damage don’t do anything to siege.

(edited by Shadow.3475)

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: mango.9267

mango.9267

The only worry is siege griefers who siege cap crucial areas with useless siege. Would suck to have to wait 3 hours for that to despawn. Other than that, all for extended timers.

Second Child

Siege Timers

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

mango the solution for that is the guild that claimed with siege timer buff can delete siege.