Simple changes to make Desert more tolerable

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I dont often post threads, but when I do I’m bored.

Since it’s pretty inevitable that Desert is coming back given the poll, I thought I’d post some simple things that could be done with it. By simple I mean things that doesnt require the entire map to be rebuilt from scratch, which is 90% of the other suggestions that seem to pop up. Moving things is a rebuild. Making it EB is a rebuild. Flattening the entire thing is a rebuild. Etc. Anet never read these things but kitten it, I refer to the previously mentioned bored part. So here we go.

Remove the stealth fog around earth keep
Just delete it. It’s an unnecessary and totally pointless graphics performance hog.

Reduce the amount of earth spikes by 50%
Keep the kittenblock spikes by all means to give earth keep something but they pop up way to often and are pretty kitten annoying

Remove the fire turrets on fire keep
Just delete them. Fire keep already got the lava teleporters as a boon. The turrets are utterly pointless.

Bring bloodlust to the central area
With the removal of the old kittened event, it’s completely unused. So bring in bloodlust ruin caps there. At least we know they work without lagging the entire border. 1 in the center, 4 around, done deal.

Add new long range super trebuchets to the towers and keeps
Functions the same as static canons/mortars, these trebuchets would be available from T1 and provide long range fire tower->keep and keep->tower that emulate the way Alpine and EB work with safe siege. Fire keep can fire at SW tower and vice versa, Earth keep can fire at NW and NE tower and vice versa, etc and so on. The idea of this is to make up for broken WvW keep/tower design without actually changing the objective positions and make towers and keeps able to threaten each other more easily simply by being held, thus bringing out the desire to cap and defend them.

in WvW

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

As much as I’m positive about issues and flaws DBL may have, I’m truly not sure that an option basically telling “Just take ABL layout and mechanics, and turn them into desert” would be a good option, for it ruins the purpose of having a “new” map. If we enventually come to the point of having 3 different BL, I sincerly hope they won’t work the same, with slight differences on each one : that’d make things spicy, and give an overall balance.

Effects around keeps are precisely intended to be annoying and for defensive purpose. From the point of view of the 4-5 ppl trying to hold a keep, they’re very useful, and shouldn’t be removed. Your sole post proves they work perfectly as intended. If you don’t like these effects, just flip one or two shrines, it’s a matter of a 5mn detour.

As for towers, there were posts opened with very interesting ideas of new mechanics, for tactics and attack. Unfortunately, lots of people are lacking creativity, and incentive to do more than “just ABL with another landscape”.

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

First thing they’d need to do is reskin it to something other than a Desert.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

They don’t need to nerf anymore of the environmental effects on the map. They already did alot of that in the last patch for no other reason than to satisfy people like you who complained about falling into lava since they don’t know basic movement commands.

Bring bloodlust to the central area
With the removal of the old kittened event, it’s completely unused. So bring in bloodlust ruin caps there. At least we know they work without lagging the entire border. 1 in the center, 4 around, done deal.

From this its very very apparent you want the dbl to mimick alpine. ANd are completely devoid of the ability to learn new content. Bloodlust is one of the stupidest parts of the alpine and you want it in the desert bl?……just no. Bloodlust is anti pvp. And anything that is anti pvp is pro pve. So you are complaining about the pve on dbl, but you are advocating for the work of adding in pve to the dbl cause its familiar to alpine. Just no. Take a look at what you are asking for here and start asking urself the hard questions.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Get rid of the shrine effects all together. Watching people jump off cliffs (and survive) to avoid a 1v1 is just disgusting. Constant stealth, cripples, pop up walls, just creates a whole area where small scale fighting isn’t going to happen.

Tone down the CC on the lords. They are already tedious enough to fight since they are big dumb bags of health, don’t make them so annoying that solo/small groups don’t want to bother.

Get rid of the dead ends. If you come to a cliff edge their should be little ledges that you can hop down on for short cuts and winding paths leading up. This gives advantage to holding the higher ground without making the map a complete pain in the kitten .

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

(…)

Add new long range super trebuchets to the towers and keeps
Functions the same as static canons/mortars, these trebuchets would be available from T1 and provide long range fire tower->keep and keep->tower that emulate the way Alpine and EB work with safe siege. Fire keep can fire at SW tower and vice versa, Earth keep can fire at NW and NE tower and vice versa, etc and so on. The idea of this is to make up for broken WvW keep/tower design without actually changing the objective positions and make towers and keeps able to threaten each other more easily simply by being held, thus bringing out the desire to cap and defend them.

I just dont agree with this…. if people want that stuff they need to go there and cap, the issue there are the skrits between computer and chair playing WvW.
IT takes time for the defenders to reach from tower to tower to keep, altough, i would change the guild banners that noobs use and change its functionally to a lesser gimmick one, increase siege range and sturdiness when built on open field, to cover a bit that problem, but never hide group and treb empty stuff for easy win….wich is how WvW is played…

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

“Anything that is anti PvP is pro PvE”

I find it funny you call ruins pro PvE when that is the only incarnation of mid map mechanics for borderlands that is in fact purely reliant on PvP mechanically.