Skill lag

Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: ZiggyStardust.3194

ZiggyStardust.3194

I believe there were many topics created about it, however, nothing changed. Anet made interesting to play wvw with all those rewards, however players are experiencing skill lag basically from the GW2 start. Is anything done about that or we should just hope that main cleansing skills will work…

Condition damage was improved, and yes, we got some nice cleansing skills, problem is that those skills kinda useless when they don’t work.

And no, it’s not internet connection issue, it’s server side issue.

So, Anet, what have you done in the past 4 years to fix it?

Don’t waste your hard earned pennies for the broken game!

Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Its one of the primary reasons why people chug the tank meta. You could also argue its one of the reasons why hot forced tank meta on people……and why the meta has left power builds in the dust with anet’s complete support.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Eventine.8024

Eventine.8024

I believe there were many topics created about it, however, nothing changed. Anet made interesting to play wvw with all those rewards, however players are experiencing skill lag basically from the GW2 start. Is anything done about that or we should just hope that main cleansing skills will work…

Condition damage was improved, and yes, we got some nice cleansing skills, problem is that those skills kinda useless when they don’t work.

I played WvW since day one in 2012, and trust me, NOW is A LOT better. I only have lag when all 3 servers are fighting togheter, and they did a really good job with the options.
Is this good enough now, and they don’t need to improve? No, it’s still bad. But at least now, we have this problem quite rarely

Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Its strange, as the only map I see skill lag in is, EBG, that map is just horrible for it, this last week there have been massive open battles on the home boarderlands and they have been playable even with 3 zergs smashing into each other, but as soon as you get onto EBG and 2 zergs meet its game over, you better hope that your skills cast before the enemies,

I don’t know why EBG is so badly optimized for the battles compared to the other maps.

Skill lag

in WvW

Eventine.8024

Its strange, as the only map I see skill lag in is, EBG, that map is just horrible for it, this last week there have been massive open battles on the home boarderlands and they have been playable even with 3 zergs smashing into each other, but as soon as you get onto EBG and 2 zergs meet its game over, you better hope that your skills cast before the enemies,

I don’t know why EBG is so badly optimized for the battles compared to the other maps.

Actually last week I lagged a lot in homeborder, defending the keep against the other 2 servers rushing in (ps we did it ).. In EBG, even in the stonemist, there were 3 servers and I didn’t lag so much (like 3 times for 1-2 sec only). I think is just related on how many players are in a little area. Maybe in your EBG people are only following commanders, and so you have all the time 120/180 ppl at once.
I think that ANET should add a system to avoid more than N people in the same little space, to avoid lags. I don’t know how they can do that..

Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Lag happens. It doesnt matter where are you. If more players fight as the treshold of the server it will happen.
The worst thing is i think when condis are lingering on you and they dont disappear and you cant press any skills.

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Teenager Warrior.2064

Teenager Warrior.2064

i solve my problem doing a port forwarding of those ports:
443; 6112; 6112 UDP/TCP

Skill lag

in WvW

Eventine.8024

i solve my problem doing a port forwarding of those ports:
443; 6112; 6112 UDP/TCP

Thanks you.. Can you also leave me your public IP, so I don’t bother searching?
(joking :P )

Skill lag

in WvW

ZiggyStardust.3194

I played WvW since day one in 2012, and trust me, NOW is A LOT better. I only have lag when all 3 servers are fighting togheter, and they did a really good job with the options.
Is this good enough now, and they don’t need to improve? No, it’s still bad. But at least now, we have this problem quite rarely

Oh I know, I am playing WVW since game launch. And yes, I am pointing those mass fights, especially in SM. Thing is, it’s not our internet connection or PC problem, so those options they gave just to improve our own game quality. Skill lag is caused by their server…don’t know, lack of processing power? I am not at the server, can’t say, thing is it’s their system problem. So I just wanted to hear something from ANET developers, what are they doing about this?

There were so many epic battles recently and so many loot bags from newbie players, but those skill lag spikes are simply killing interest of playing it…and it’s sad when you wait in queue for 2+ hours.

Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

The problem with lag is it promotes use of passive builds over active. A passive regen type who can spam 1 and maybe get a utility to work wipes the floor with any class that actually needs to use it’s skills to survive.

The problem now if that if you get into one of those fights and might think about switching classes to one that works, you have no chance due to huge queues, so it’s either q up on a class you don’t really like playing or q up on your favoured class and then not be able to use it due to lag.

Hardly a wonderful advert for Anet either way…

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Thats not true,the bl’s are lagging just as hard.Its just more noticable in Eb cus these comms like to go 3 way in sm all day long eventhough they know it lags the entire server out..hurhur.

Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Thats not true,the bl’s are lagging just as hard.Its just more noticable in Eb cus these comms like to go 3 way in sm all day long eventhough they know it lags the entire server out..hurhur.

Last night on the boarder land we where doing 3 way zerg battles for 2 hours straight, and I had no lag, I went into EBG and had massive skill lag and that was only 2 zergs clashing, I guess everyone gets different results from WvW

Skill lag

in WvW

ZiggyStardust.3194

Last night on the boarder land we where doing 3 way zerg battles for 2 hours straight, and I had no lag, I went into EBG and had massive skill lag and that was only 2 zergs clashing, I guess everyone gets different results from WvW

That’s why it’s called lag spikes. Today we were fighting 3 way in EB, and no lag at all, later it just hits everyone. It’s like all their wvw data is in one server, I mean all other matches are processed in the same server…then maybe server just can’t handle it.

Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: trailofsalt.6571

trailofsalt.6571

Skill lag is going to happen. It’s a part of massive battles. The population of WvW has increased exponentially since the patch and as such zerg play has seen a dramatic boost. You’re just going to have to live with it as we all do and have for a very long time.

Is this the best answer? No. I too hate skill lag. However, I have come to realize that there just is no way around it.

I smash “1” for greatness… (òÓ,)

Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: fredley.2354

fredley.2354

Skill lag isn’t something that can be fixed by tweaking graphics. It’s related to the number of players in a single instance of a map.

When you have over 200 players all using their skills and that data has to go through a server to communicate the numbers its going to be a mess. Acceptable latency for a game like this would be in the range of 50-100ms. The amount of things that have to happen in order for the game to work just can’t guarantee that and in turn we get 1-1.5s latency.

One solution to reduce skill lag is the one most players wouldn’t want though. That solution is to reduce player count on a single map and maybe in turn increase map instances.

I haven’t spent much time thinking on it but unless Anet invests in some better netcode this problem will never go away.

(edited by fredley.2354)

Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Skill lag isn’t something that can be fixed by tweaking graphics. It’s related to the number of players in a single instance of a map.

When you have over 200 players all using their skills and that data has to go through a server to communicate the numbers its going to be a mess. Acceptable latency for a game like this would be in the range of 50-100ms. The amount of things that have to happen in order for the game to work just can’t guarantee that and in turn we get 1-1.5s latency.

One solution to reduce skill lag is the one most players wouldn’t want though. That solution is to reduce player count on a single map and maybe in turn increase map instances.

I haven’t spent much time thinking on it but unless Anet invests in some better netcode this problem will never go away.

I remember over a year ago,maybe 2 they lowered the server cap for all servers and we honestly had 3 way sm fights with no lag,queues were larger offcourse but if that means no lag then who cares.It baffles me that they reverted it back.

Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: fredley.2354

fredley.2354

Since Anet is focusing on skirmishes they could easily make a smaller map with only 1 large objective and a small 20-30 player cap. Then make multiple instances of that map and make it so whatever side controls 3/5 of the objectives you get extra points, but not too many.

I think it would give guilds and smaller groups a chance to have some good fights while making a difference in WvW. A little bit like bloodlust buffs.

This would of course exist together with what we have now.

(edited by fredley.2354)

Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Miyafuji.1340

Miyafuji.1340

Iv also noticed one thing, and that is sometimes some people lag heavily and others are fine. For example there are days when I lag heavy and my commander does not, and days when its the other way. It almost seem like the server has a number of “sockets” and if you are lucky you can connect to the one that is less laggy. It has nothing to do with your connection, its just luck. Also, the lags are inconsistent, sometimes we had lagless or very low lag blob fight and sometimes its just unplayable. This would indicate the infrastructure is under powered and more game servers are using the same physical connection/server thus getting it overloaded.

I am princess Tomiko Miyafuji, daughter of Lady Zenith the unforgiving…. beware…
My old backstory: http://www.archeageroleplay.com/forum_threads/1873740

Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Iv also noticed one thing, and that is sometimes some people lag heavily and others are fine. For example there are days when I lag heavy and my commander does not, and days when its the other way. It almost seem like the server has a number of “sockets” and if you are lucky you can connect to the one that is less laggy. It has nothing to do with your connection, its just luck. Also, the lags are inconsistent, sometimes we had lagless or very low lag blob fight and sometimes its just unplayable. This would indicate the infrastructure is under powered and more game servers are using the same physical connection/server thus getting it overloaded.

This really isnt anything strange. We already know that skills are handled serverside. It’s a queue and of course it’s going to be random for all the players – the server will send back info the clients as fast as it can. When it cant… skill lag. Queue clogged, that part of server system chokes. Everything goes to kitten and it take a while to recover. I believe some skills have priority (such as autoattack).

Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

I had somewhat of the same feeling with that but my idea was that it was something like priority sockets/traffic. Those who were lucky would not be affected (and their packets are prioritized) whilst the rest would have some lag. Of course how much of this is or isn’t true we can only guess but it does feel somewhat like what we’ve mentioned. If I were to simplify it, it would be something similar to QoS on routers but instead of services it prioritizes packets to certain clients, possibly like a queue rotation.

Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Miyafuji.1340

Miyafuji.1340

Yeah because relogging sometimes changes it. Sometimes you are fine, you relog, get back socket = lagfest.

I am princess Tomiko Miyafuji, daughter of Lady Zenith the unforgiving…. beware…
My old backstory: http://www.archeageroleplay.com/forum_threads/1873740