Skill lag- determining factor in victory

in WvW

Posted by: vove.2768

vove.2768

Today I had pretty much fun playing wvw until enemy zerg came to sm, then another one. As you can figure out lag was unbearable, I couldn’t even switch my weapons not to mention using any skills.

At the moment I would say the skill lag is determining factor in victory when you play wvw. Without lag we wiped few waves of enemy zergs, including one wave with around 15 golems (some of them omega) and we didn’t even have a comm! Once the lag kicked in our effectiveness started to slowly go down and in the end I don’t know if we finally defended sm or not, I just couldn’t take it anymore and left.

It makes me wonder, will wvw ever be fixed? Why does anet ignore the problem? They promised in 2013 the fix is on its way.

THREE YEARS HAVE PASSED AND NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!!!!

Wvw is basically about dealing with the skill lag. You don’t fight against enemy players, you fight against anet’s servers.

in WvW

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

Unfortunately, that’s very true, and that’s one of the reasons I avoid zergs : laglock’d, image freezes 1 sec, dead and stomped. And I play on a good PC !
The other reason may be the amount of boons, and the amount of “block” and “invulnerable” I see whenever I cast anything at a zerg.

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

We all are painfully aware of the lag, don’t like it, and wish it never existed in the first place.

If I may side track the discussion a bit:

Which prof and build is the most resilient against skill lag? Can it still do any damage? Could you assemble a squad of those and be successful?

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

ThomasC.1056

Which prof and build is the most resilient against skill lag? Can it still do any damage? Could you assemble a squad of those and be successful?

Against the power of skill lag, there can be no victory. We must join with it, Korgov. We must join with the zerg. It would be wiser, my friend.

in WvW

Posted by: Namer.9750

Namer.9750

We all are painfully aware of the lag, don’t like it, and wish it never existed in the first place.

This isn’t sidetracking the discussion. This is what the discussion SHOULD be, instead of whining and crying about something that can’t be fixed and refusing to understand why it can’t be fixed.

I’ve found that, well, in skill lag your opponents are having pretty much the same lag as you are. The easiest thing to do is to grab as many hammer warriors as possible, gear them up to like 25k hp and 3k armour, and go ham. Indeed, the idea of ‘hammer train’ came from this. In 2017, a hammer train also needs tanky frontline Reapers to strip enemy boons, however much as possible amidst skill lag, for maximum impact.

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

The OPness of hammer trains was cause of meta, not cause of skill lag….

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Namer.9750

Namer.9750

The OPness of hammer trains was cause of meta, not cause of skill lag….

It came from both.

in WvW

Korgov.7645

This isn’t sidetracking the discussion. This is what the discussion SHOULD be, instead of whining and crying about something that can’t be fixed and refusing to understand why it can’t be fixed.

I’ve found that, well, in skill lag your opponents are having pretty much the same lag as you are. The easiest thing to do is to grab as many hammer warriors as possible, gear them up to like 25k hp and 3k armour, and go ham. Indeed, the idea of ‘hammer train’ came from this. In 2017, a hammer train also needs tanky frontline Reapers to strip enemy boons, however much as possible amidst skill lag, for maximum impact.

High vitality and toughness, passive healing and condition cleanse. Warriors have a lot going for them in skill lag fights. Hammer implies stuns, but the enemies are already effectively dazed due the lag.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: TheHeretic.3529

TheHeretic.3529

Yep, whoever has the most numbers will win in skill-lag situations. Why? Because all you can do is autoattack. So whoever autoattacks the most wins.

Maybe I’m a thorn in your perfection
A heretic’s voice in your head
A stargazer, releaser

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Today I had pretty much fun playing wvw until enemy zerg came to sm, then another one. As you can figure out lag was unbearable, I couldn’t even switch my weapons not to mention using any skills.

At the moment I would say the skill lag is determining factor in victory when you play wvw. Without lag we wiped few waves of enemy zergs, including one wave with around 15 golems (some of them omega) and we didn’t even have a comm! Once the lag kicked in our effectiveness started to slowly go down and in the end I don’t know if we finally defended sm or not, I just couldn’t take it anymore and left.

It makes me wonder, will wvw ever be fixed? Why does anet ignore the problem? They promised in 2013 the fix is on its way.

Wvw is basically about dealing with the skill lag. You don’t fight against enemy players, you fight against anet’s servers.

Step 1. check to see if a PVP season is on.
Step 2. If step1 is positive, then expect lag in wvw, as they ‘steal’ bandwidth and server resources from wvw in order to ensure their blessed spvp runs relatively smoothly.

Step 3. Step onto your warrior or guardian in times of lag, as trying to play any sort of caster is a waste of time and just extremely frustrating and not rewarding. or

Step 4. Play something else until step 1 is negative.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

in WvW

Posted by: Rambitshouse.8712

Rambitshouse.8712

Step 2. If step1 is positive, then expect lag in wvw, as they ‘steal’ bandwidth and server resources from wvw in order to ensure their blessed spvp runs relatively smoothly.

Step 3. Step onto your warrior or guardian in times of lag, as trying to play any sort of caster is a waste of time and just extremely frustrating and not rewarding. or

Agreed, I can’t go anywhere near zergs so I roam a lot. And we know how action packed roaming is in this game -_-

Dtox

in WvW

Posted by: DevilishLyx.2340

DevilishLyx.2340

The other reason may be the amount of boons, and the amount of “block” and “invulnerable” I see whenever I cast anything at a zerg.

Yet you dont hear PvE players complain about lag in major events! Just WvW. WvW servers are given low priority and hence low bandwidth capacity, and it is this which leads to lag.

in WvW

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

I would love to see proof of your claim that PvP steals Bandwidth and server resources from WvW, as far as can be determined PvP is on its own special servers separate from WvW. The reason there is so much lag is due to Over stacked Servers causing massive amounts of calculations from the huge blobs hitting each other the server lag is caused by strain on the server trying to calculate all boons/Condis/damage calculations etc. since you normal only have server wide skill lag when big blobs are in the area.

in WvW

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

this why u play guardian, 1 1 1 1 11 111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
any class that requires more then smashing 1 1 1 1 cant be played properly in zergs.

in WvW

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

If you can anticipate the arrival of zergs I find traps very helpful in lag situations, especially in sm. Don’t put them all in one place, scatter them about likely areas and then when they’re tripped or you’re bored, amidst your autoattacks try placing more traps wherever you happen to be while you’re running around blindly hoping you don’t die, since it doesn’t really matter when you actually use the skill and the other servers are also likely running around blindly hoping they don’t die.

in WvW

ThomasC.1056

Yet you dont hear PvE players complain about lag in major events! Just WvW. WvW servers are given low priority and hence low bandwidth capacity, and it is this which leads to lag.

Actually, there’s also lag in big events where lots of people pack and smah, i.e. in world bosses burning phases. It’s just less critical because of less risk to be killed by the boss.

in WvW

Korgov.7645

If you can anticipate the arrival of zergs I find traps very helpful in lag situations, especially in sm. Don’t put them all in one place, scatter them about likely areas and then when they’re tripped or you’re bored, amidst your autoattacks try placing more traps wherever you happen to be while you’re running around blindly hoping you don’t die, since it doesn’t really matter when you actually use the skill and the other servers are also likely running around blindly hoping they don’t die.

Aye. Traps seem ideal for lag fights. No need for a target in range, no timing needed.

Guardian’s Wave of Wraft is also well suited for skill lag fights – short range auto-attack AoE requiring no target to be in range.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Skill lag has been horrible. We had to pull out of EBG and leave the map many times because of it, sometimes even when defending or attacking a critical objective, and even when we went to another map, if the zerg(s) from EBG followed it resulted in the same, map hopping.

This causes the game to be completely unplayable.

I strongly suspect it has a lot to do with overall HoT powercreep and additional stacks of everything, new boons, more of them, more frequent, more condis, more removal of them, more reflects, more CCs, alacrity, quickness, etc. etc.

On top of that, the raised map caps so now more people are generating the above in the same area / map. Skill lag used to be pretty much limited to 3-way battles, but recently has been occuring in just 2 way battles between full squads.

Either the games servers / infrastructure is completely unable to process all that stuff in a reasonable manner or there is something else going on that is seriously wrong.

In my guild, we were even talking about making an all guardian group for staff 1, since its the ONLY thing that still works semi-reliably. But who the hell would wanna play a game with a group ranging from 30ish to map que size players made up of nothing but guards and DH and using nothing but staff 1 ? Thats stupid and self defeating, as a game is a form of fun and entertainment, and being unable to use your characters and their skills / builds, is absolutely not entertaining, thus defeating purpose of the game.

So we need a fix and a real solution to this, not silly stupid suggestions such as: play a guard, or go somewhere else and roam.

A fairly large percentage of us play this whole game in organized groups because this is what we find the best about it and the skill lag kills this.

As for original topic, naturally, the side with most guardians, or other 1 auto attack spamming power based players will win any encounters where they have numbers advantage. So yes, this is also very bad.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

(edited by Tongku.5326)

in WvW

Posted by: DevilishLyx.2340

DevilishLyx.2340

Welcome to WvW!