Skills that ignore the 5 player limit

in WvW

Posted by: Boererik.3459

Boererik.3459

Most of the AOE skills only do dmg up to 5 people or give boons up to 5 people.
Dev has confirmed the cap was set to 5 cause of the technical limitations.

I know ‘veil’ doesn’t have a cap, do you know more skills without cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Seigfried.5938

Seigfried.5938

I think static field too.

Gandara → SoS → BG → Gandara → SFR

New bunker meta sux

in WvW

Posted by: Alilinke.7690

Alilinke.7690

Static field is capped.

Glyph Of Storms hit 10 targets.

[nA] Professional Guild Hall Decorator

(edited by Alilinke.7690)

in WvW

Posted by: Lurch.9517

Lurch.9517

caltrops 15 chars mumble blah

Lurch
Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

Fields that have effects when you pass through them – the move though effect seems to be uncapped.

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

Portal 20 players.
Mass Invisibility 10 players.
Stealth unlimited target drop/soft interrupt on all enemies.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: Thesilentflute.8761

Thesilentflute.8761

runes of lyssa with mesmer sig to share boons though I have not played my mes in a long time.

I see good ideas every day …good in theory. – Shawn Farthing
Masters in Geek Mythology
YOU ARE NOT THE INVENTOR OF WORDS!!! lol

in WvW

Posted by: Jscull.2514

Jscull.2514

Should be all of them. But carebears would quit. Because they would die….alot….alot more.

PAXA -GM

in WvW

Posted by: Korsbaek.9803

Korsbaek.9803

Should be all of them. But carebears would quit. Because they would die….alot….alot more.

if all aoe where unlimeted targets retaliation will kill anyone tuching a zerg with aoe after a given size so that would be bad to.

but if i remember right all things that does something when you pass trough or wardens where you cant pass trough are unlimeted for the effect of passing trough

Commander Korsbaek lvl 80 Guardian
Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

in WvW

Posted by: Dasboba.1652

Dasboba.1652

Engineer grenades technically hit 5 players each, with 3 grenades per throw. So theoretically, one throw could hit up to 15 players if each grenade were to hit 5 separate enemies. That said, it also means, theoretically, an engineer could hit himself with 15 hits of retaliation in one throw. So I’m not sure if it’s a blessing or a curse.

in WvW

Jscull.2514

if all aoe where unlimeted targets retaliation will kill anyone tuching a zerg with aoe after a given size so that would be bad to.

but if i remember right all things that does something when you pass trough or wardens where you cant pass trough are unlimeted for the effect of passing trough

No idea what you just wrote. But I have lost so many fights because my 5 guys could hit 5 guys, while the 5 of my guys could be hit by ALL 12 of the guys we were fighting.

The guy that made that rule should be FIRED immediately and ousted from mmo design society. Horrible.

And retaliation? Really? Sorry, but were smart enough to see that and STOP what were doing until its gone. Good lord. There are actually a couple people that dont AIMLESSLY dps.

PAXA -GM

in WvW

Posted by: robocafaz.9017

robocafaz.9017

And retaliation? Really? Sorry, but were smart enough to see that and STOP what were doing until its gone. Good lord. There are actually a couple people that dont AIMLESSLY dps.

Devil’s advocate: Drop a single tick of AoE on a crowd of 20 people with Retaliation. 20 hits of Retal at the same time. Drop something like a lingering AoE field like Combustion Shot. You’re gonna get hit by Retals and you can’t turn it off.

Deany Kong – #magswag
Head Deany Kong of Deany and the Kongs [Kong]
http://www.youtube.com/user/RoboCafaz

in WvW

Jscull.2514

Devil’s advocate: Drop a single tick of AoE on a crowd of 20 people with Retaliation. 20 hits of Retal at the same time. Drop something like a lingering AoE field like Combustion Shot. You’re gonna get hit by Retals and you can’t turn it off.

Any skilled group would take that over having the AoE cap. AoE cap and Downed state were enough to leave the game.

PAXA -GM

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

Engineer grenades technically hit 5 players each, with 3 grenades per throw. So theoretically, one throw could hit up to 15 players if each grenade were to hit 5 separate enemies. That said, it also means, theoretically, an engineer could hit himself with 15 hits of retaliation in one throw. So I’m not sure if it’s a blessing or a curse.

Retaliation hit aprox 350-400 dmg. It is 5k dmg for one autoattack skill to yourself.
Grenades are slow, you can throw second ones while first batch is still in the air. So You can take 10k dmg in 2 seconds.
And dont start about barrage. 8 grenades,each can hit 5 targets. Its 14k dmg made by retaliation.

in WvW

Posted by: Dasboba.1652

Dasboba.1652

Oh trust me I know, lol. When I first started on my engineer, and didn’t know about how it worked, I nearly barraged myself to death. And, that was before I had the trait, was just a lowbie at the time. Grenades are still plenty useful even in zerg play, you just have to know when and where to use them, and ease up on the spamming.

in WvW

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Perhaps retal needs a tune down then.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in WvW

Posted by: Naffy.1493

Naffy.1493

No idea what you just wrote. But I have lost so many fights because my 5 guys could hit 5 guys, while the 5 of my guys could be hit by ALL 12 of the guys we were fighting.

The guy that made that rule should be FIRED immediately and ousted from mmo design society. Horrible.

I have to agree with this.

Tree Dink – Sylvari Guardian
Os of NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Thesilentflute.8761

Thesilentflute.8761

The devs said it had something to do with culling and lag.

I see good ideas every day …good in theory. – Shawn Farthing
Masters in Geek Mythology
YOU ARE NOT THE INVENTOR OF WORDS!!! lol

in WvW

Posted by: Naffy.1493

Naffy.1493

AKA the game/server engine/architecture can’t handle it.

Tree Dink – Sylvari Guardian
Os of NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Boererik.3459

Boererik.3459

So in theory you can chill 15 players with freeze grenade.

in WvW

Jscull.2514

In theory, 15 guys can hit all 5, but 5 can only hit 5. Where in all that is good in this world does this make sense?

“ohhhh retaliationnnnnn” lol… No its a horrible mechanic sorry. It is the bad players BEST defense. As if hiding in 15 people wasn’t enough defense, you need to limit how many your enemy can hit of the 15 as well. Just brutal

PAXA -GM

in WvW

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

Fields that have effects when you pass through them – the move though effect seems to be uncapped.

Especially pulsing ground effects, like necro marks, 5 per pulse, but duration determines number of pulses.

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

in WvW

Posted by: scootshoot.6583

scootshoot.6583

Pretty much this. The developers can sugarcoat their game engine with all sorts of gameplay terms but the bottomline is their DirextX 9 game engine simply can’t handle it.

in WvW

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

So in theory you can chill 15 players with freeze grenade.

No, the 5-target limit still applies, but you can give those 5 targets 6 seconds of chill each if the grenades are 2 seconds and you hit each target with all 3.

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

in WvW

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

fields + a finisher that effects the other side. Does that have a cap how many times the effect procs. Example…somoene tosses down a field, I blast it and it effects 5 people, next player blasts it does the new blast count and effect 5 more people?

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

in WvW

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Piercing Arrow trait doesn’t appear to have a cap. Nearly every Ranger ae skill is still hitting 3 targets according to a thread in the Ranger forum that others have tested (I didn’t test to verify).

in WvW

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

Necro Wells pulse once every second for 5 seconds on average. So in theory they can hit 5 different people each second over their area of effect.

This is why Necros are a big part of zerg DPS in the meta now. They effectively bypass the 5 man AoE limit.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

in WvW

Posted by: denimdan.8642

denimdan.8642

ranger traps have a 50 man limit instead of 5

Ranger
Storm Bluff Isle [EVOH]

in WvW

Posted by: Korsbaek.9803

Korsbaek.9803

so your stopping to attack the groupe with perma retaliation
and 2-3 guradians can keep that up if they want to.

im not much for aoe caps to tho as long as retaliation works as it does there is nothing that speaks for not having a cap.

Commander Korsbaek lvl 80 Guardian
Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

in WvW

Jscull.2514

Keep telling yourself that korsbek. That way Anet can justify one of the worst mechanics of all time. Lol DEFEND the bads!

Anet stands for defenders of bad players!

PAXA -GM

in WvW

Posted by: Stilk.6312

Stilk.6312

So many questions… Anet can’t you answer those ?

in WvW

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

ranger traps have a 50 man limit instead of 5

Which trap is this… because the only trap that actually hits 5 targets is Fire, Spike, and Frost. The others only hit 3.

(edited by Atherakhia.4086)

in WvW

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

the troll trap, so imba

in WvW

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

I don’t think anyone mentioned Temporal Curtain.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in WvW

Posted by: Sharpkiller.8516

Sharpkiller.8516

Am I the only one who does not want zergs to have perma retaliation, stability, protection, regeneration, and 25 stacks of might?

And that is with just 5 guardians.

Or my favourite, unlimited stealth for an entire zerg.

Or if people want to get really crazy bring a ton of mesmers for permament quicknesss.

(edited by Sharpkiller.8516)

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

and server would crash

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Mizu.9387

Mizu.9387

@Jscull
I’m guessing you didn’t play since launch, before the cap was introduced.
Try running through a choke with 5 superior arrow carts and you are starting to get a sense of how it was. The cap can be removed, but not without changes to AoE, like reduced radius, reduced duration and so on.
I know there are useful skills to have when running though such a deathfield, but atm we have to many unblockabkitten on strips and immobilizations to counter anything you throw at it.
With or without AoE cap 15 good guys will still win over 5 players of equal skill.

Sif Urkraft

in WvW

Posted by: Wryog.5073

Wryog.5073

This.
Also I think that things like static can hit the 5 man AoE cap only if 5 people hit it at the exact same time. Something like doing dodge roll while jumping. The server can only do 5 calculations per AoE at the same time. So anything under the server’s calculation time and you could probably hit the AoE cap on those things.

Wryog [WBC] – elementalist
Gunnar’s Hold

in WvW

Posted by: Wryog.5073

Wryog.5073

@Jscull
I’m guessing you didn’t play since launch, before the cap was introduced.
Try running through a choke with 5 superior arrow carts and you are starting to get a sense of how it was

ACs have a 50 man AoE cap ATM. It was even confirmed by a dev, I think.
Edit: stupid tablet typing!

Wryog [WBC] – elementalist
Gunnar’s Hold

in WvW

Jscull.2514

Mizu,

The 15 good players should.

The point is…this mechanic allows NOT GOOD players to still win, by clumping. Bullkitten dude. Sorry, promotes ZERO competition.

PAXA -GM

in WvW

Posted by: BlusterWolf.2103

BlusterWolf.2103

well, aoe attack and boon share originally didnt have a 5 man cap;If I remember right Blackgate was the 1st one found out that would make a stacked zerg ball unkillable in the fight and keep ring holding fight become super long and least forever cuz both size cant be killed by all means. Then 2 weeks later devs put caps on aoe boon share and damage.

Forty Milliseconds…rangers who remember…know…

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

Or if people want to get really crazy bring a ton of mesmers for permament quicknesss.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Time_Warp
Duration 10 seconds
Recharge 210 seconds

Unlike other fields Time Warp only grants its effect on 5 players. Quickness granted is also not affected by boon duration increasing traits. A pure mesmer team could have Quickness for 24% of time at best – not permanently.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: XII.9401

XII.9401

Limit the boons to 5 ppl and open the damage aoe to more than 5.

Stop using that argument.

Retaliation, protection and confusion are terrible design ideas. Protection is even better than healing. How else can a guardian survive a zerg that long.

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

I have to agree with this.

I have been screaming this for months now, and every zerger on this game has been blasting me for it.

If the devs couldn’t make a game without an offensive AoE cap, then they should have went full kitten and just implemented a defensive AoE cap as well.

IE: only 5 people can hit a single player at once, the rest would be “invulnerables”

While that is a horrible suggestion (I know), it is only equally as horrible as the current mechanic.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: Zosk.5609

Zosk.5609

Yes they are terribly designed but for some reason everybody here feels it necessary to defend the status quo and claim their “skills”.

In past games abilities like this were usually limited in power and scope. This game is so simple that it’s mostly just dodge/run/dps…. so if you barb something like DPS with large amounts of damage it’s a whole lot of “what do I do now exactly, run away?”

You can’’t even heal yourself if you’re under confusion…. and you can’t choose not to AE in this game to avoid retaliation unless you just quit attacking.

in WvW

Jscull.2514

Yes they are terribly designed but for some reason everybody here feels it necessary to defend the status quo and claim their “skills”.

In past games abilities like this were usually limited in power and scope. This game is so simple that it’s mostly just dodge/run/dps…. so if you barb something like DPS with large amounts of damage it’s a whole lot of “what do I do now exactly, run away?”

You can’’t even heal yourself if you’re under confusion…. and you can’t choose not to AE in this game to avoid retaliation unless you just quit attacking.

Single targeting for teams takes solid coordination.

They wanted the game to be playeable by 8 year olds who want to see slot machines of dmg numbers being done so literally every attack is some monstrous AoE. Good lord. I will tell you this, once you start playing another game without aoe cap and actual healers its like refreshing air after being trapped in a cave for a year.

PAXA -GM

in WvW

Posted by: Sharpkiller.8516

Sharpkiller.8516

First off I was stating how overpowered time warp could be if there was no aoe limit as mesmers rotating time warp could give a whole zerg quickness for a very long time.

If a group stacked stealth, then ran around looking for an enemy zerg, then stacked protection, retaliation, swiftness, regeneration, stability, fury, and 25 stacks of might, then bombed the enemy zerg, with quickness, the fight would be over in seconds. Do we want this? I do not.

(edited by Sharpkiller.8516)