So, about that Grub..

So, about that Grub..

in WvW

Posted by: aeroh.8930

aeroh.8930

I had a thought while killing the overgrown grub in the Eternal Battlegrounds. I thought, as I read off the bile and vitriol scrolling in my chat window, wouldn’t it be great if instead of killing this fat grub, we could beat it into submission and make it guard Durios for an hour. Like a giant guard grub?

And then I thought, instead of dumping silver and gold into upgrading keeps, why not have dynamic events to upgrade them instead? Want reinforcements for your tower? Then go and thin out the local wolf population a bit, and that’ll free up some npc guards. I’m sure the designers could think up some neat and logical events.

I’ve just been noticing that fewer and fewer people seem willing to spend their silver on upgrades, because they know it’ll just be wasted when the zerg comes to flip the tower in the middle of the night.

And people would be more amenable about killing the grub/arboreal spirit/mosquito horde if there were benefits beyond a few tokens.

So, about that Grub..

in WvW

Posted by: Danepher.5263

Danepher.5263

and they should drop the 30minutes disappearing of siege weapons, and make the pot of oil and cannon less easy to hit and added HP to it. ATM they are a waste of money most of the time.
——————
About that grub… This is a very nice idea as I see elite grubs, wurms and such everywhere, and they could be put in to good use if we could tame them… To guard a tower or even the supply points (which are pretty easy to conquer by yourself just take a bit more time). Could be made tamable through an event, or maybe a special task.

Liquid Intelligence [LI] || Blacktide
aka John Silverarrow and more.

So, about that Grub..

in WvW

Posted by: Ilesyt.7084

Ilesyt.7084

Sooo, you want more PvE in WvW.

Leader of Deus Ex Machina [DEX]
Ruins of Surmia

So, about that Grub..

in WvW

Danepher.5263

Sooo, you want more PvE in WvW.

WvW isn’t fully PvP either IMO. Its a mixture of both. Making the game a bit random doesn’t say it will be PvE. What’s wrong with having ‘Pets’ guard?
Their Mission will be as of all other NPC’s actually – ‘buy some time’… Although atm NPCs don’t really buy any second, too easy to kill.

So, about that Grub..

in WvW

Posted by: Vohnnyan.4058

Vohnnyan.4058

Terrible idea, WvW development should move in the oposite direction, remove npcs and pve from it to make it better.

So, about that Grub..

in WvW

Danepher.5263

Terrible idea, WvW development should move in the oposite direction, remove npcs and pve from it to make it better.

That is PvP already. There is a place for it. the same thing just without siege weapons (some maps still have a treb).
Will you run supplies alone? While you are being attacked in the fort? and you can carry only 10 (+5 with guild bonuses). NPC should stay. WvW is more about tactic’s (although still not as much) and less about just killing.

So, about that Grub..

in WvW

Vohnnyan.4058

That is PvP already. There is a place for it. the same thing just without siege weapons (some maps still have a treb).

You are talking about that dull cap point thing, designed to encourage spliting with not a single interesting mechanic or rule, also very dependent on npcs for scoring, a shadow of what Gw1 HoM or GvG had to offer, and just feels like the boring niche TA that were removed from gw1, Id rather quit the game then play that “pvp”.

So, about that Grub..

in WvW

Posted by: Azariah.8420

Azariah.8420

Well, seeming as anet seem hellbent on keeping the npc’s regardless of what we think, I’d much rather we were able to put them somewhere tactically usefull rather than just wandering the wilderness. (though the event should be contestable, like the camps control ones) so as to at least allow other players to come in and get control instead. thus encouraging pvp as well

80 Thief – Black Lion Mercenary Corps [MERC]
Sea of Sorrows

So, about that Grub..

in WvW

Danepher.5263

Vohnnyan, WvW is a bit a different thing. What was in GW1, it was factions against factions (which I really liked), Guild Vs. Guild (I’m pretty sure when guild halls will be introduced they will return the GvG mode. if not, it will feel ironic), and some other mods. a global PvP like Fa Vs. Fa, is highly admirable IMO. But that’s not WvW where the subject is to hold fortified points.

So, about that Grub..

in WvW

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

Kaineng had a similar idea last month and used the grub to attack Stonemist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe6LLWUjaJY

Although, aren’t the ogre, dredge, and hylek camps designed with that in mind? I suppose that could be expanded a bit and have a more involved role instead of just helping out within their surrounding locations. Maybe there could be an NPC in any contested area that your world controls that would allow a soloist or small group to hire a group of mercenaries from those three camps to accompany them. In addition, maybe those camps could share battleground secrets that could be used to infiltrate the enemy in places where they least expect it.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

So, about that Grub..

in WvW

Vohnnyan.4058

Fortifications are monuments to human stupidity, the purpose of WvW should be the big, long unpredictable fights, fortifications and cap points should be a mecahnism to enable this fights, the more pve mobs, and pve events you had the less interesting it becomes, the less fights you have, if you want more pve Des, if you add more npcs you arein fact turning wPvP into wPvE.

So, about that Grub..

in WvW

Danepher.5263

Vohnnyan, if you don’t like WvW don’t play it simple is that. WvWvW has plenty of fights believe me. I always know where to find a fight if I want. Nothing unpredictable can happen without fortification or with them. The only think unpredictble can be, is a mesmer casting portal, which once somehow, got in to our keep. THAT WAS unpredictible. What can’t you predicct in an open map or just with points? That should added as seperate mod like it was with Factions. But not turn WvW to a simple PvP killing map.

“…fortifications and cap points should be a mecahnism to enable this fights…”
Aren’t they doing it now? I mean, they are the reason people fight for them there.