So why aoe cap?

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Simple question. Why is there an aoe cap? And no, please do not come up with that “technical limitation” lie. There has been thousands games before this with massive pvp and no aoe cap, why would your engine be somehow so infernior to that of these older games?

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Simple question. Why is there an aoe cap? And no, please do not come up with that “technical limitation” bull crap. There has been thousands games before this with massive pvp and no aoe cap, why would your engine be somehow so infernior to that of these older games?

Please show me all these “thousands games” with massive PvP, all I can think of is DAoC and that game was quite “weak” compared to GW2.

I would say that technical limitations is actually a rather good and logical answer, one can also assume that it might have to do with balancing and such as well.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Drakh.3128

Drakh.3128

Because then there would be no need for arrow carts.

- Drakh (BT)
- Blackgate

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Fordel.3208

Fordel.3208

DaoC was a game where you had hundreds of people die in literal seconds thanks to a handful of casters and a unfortunate bit of lag.

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Korsbaek.9803

Korsbaek.9803

aoe cap is to balance some classes with others and to remove the insta dead when aoeing a zerg.

the major boon that make it so an aoe cap is a must is retaliation given that 1 person with retaliation gives around 250-300 damage(or more), then 5 people gives 5 times that much(each damage tick), thats 1250-1500 damage each damage tick, but now we say 50 people has it then its 12500-15000 damage each tick, now 80 people has it that gives you 20000-24000 damage each tick, and then we begin to stack might to what happens now?
oh the damage you get increases
With the fact that 1-2 hammer guardians can keep the retaliation up forever alone on all 80 people as there shouts has no aoe cap. It will then make a meta where a zerg can run around insta kill anyone hitting them with 2 people just useing light feilds and blast finishers and a few other people stacking might all the time they never need to attack anyone as anyone touches them they die.

and thats why there is a aoe limit

Commander Korsbaek lvl 80 Guardian
Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

aoe cap is to balance some classes with others and to remove the insta dead when aoeing a zerg.

the major boon that make it so an aoe cap is a must is retaliation given that 1 person with retaliation gives around 250-300 damage(or more), then 5 people gives 5 times that much(each damage tick), thats 1250-1500 damage each damage tick, but now we say 50 people has it then its 12500-15000 damage each tick, now 80 people has it that gives you 20000-24000 damage each tick, and then we begin to stack might to what happens now?
oh the damage you get increases
With the fact that 1-2 hammer guardians can keep the retaliation up forever alone on all 80 people as there shouts has no aoe cap. It will then make a meta where a zerg can run around insta kill anyone hitting them with 2 people just useing light feilds and blast finishers and a few other people stacking might all the time they never need to attack anyone as anyone touches them they die.

and thats why there is a aoe limit

But perhaps that means that retalation needs a cap, not aoe?

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Korsbaek.9803

Korsbaek.9803

how will you cap retaliation as my retaliation only ticks 1 time but thats the same with all the other 79 players so if you can find a cap that dont stop all 80 players from trikering when they take damage im up for it

Commander Korsbaek lvl 80 Guardian
Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Bryker.5719

Bryker.5719

DaoC was a game where you had hundreds of people die in literal seconds thanks to a handful of casters and a unfortunate bit of lag.

You mean an unfortunate lack of awareness due to not panning their cameras while mindlessly following the zerg leader. A large group of people all clumped up on each other not paying attention deserve to die in seconds to a smaller group bombing them to kitten and back with AoE.

I don’t mind the fact fact that people like to run in big zergs, and I don’t mind getting rolled by larger numbers. But the fact that the side that already has the numerical advantage is getting its hand held by an AoE cap as well as how the rally system works stacks the odds so much in a zergs favor they don’t have to pay attention at all.

Bumping the cap to 10 would create more interesting fights (IMO). Zergs could still clump for buffs pre-fight. Spreading out (instead of clumping even more) when AoEs start to hit. It would help spread out the fight in a larger area instead of just a mass ball of players.

Morte Novella – Necromancer | Bryker – Guardian
(Jade Quarry) Team Savvy

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Arrowcarts have a 50 person cap.. same with cannons. I assume catapults, trebs, and mortars also follow the same concept as well…

So the technical limitations argument doesn’t fly… why? Have all characters AoE operate in the exact same way as siege does. I’m assuming siege weapons are light on the calculations side and/or already have set values.. I’m not exactly sure. Either way, treat players AoE like siege.

Granted, until retaliation is fixed, having player AoE cap of 50 would be overkill suicide lol.

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Skyeyes.4935

Skyeyes.4935

Bumping the cap to 10 would create more interesting fights (IMO). Zergs could still clump for buffs pre-fight. Spreading out (instead of clumping even more) when AoEs start to hit. It would help spread out the fight in a larger area instead of just a mass ball of players.

^ This.

If you think about it, stacking and blobbing is not how warfare is supposed to work, becuase real life doesn’t have a magical AOE cap. If your army groups up in one place and the enemy has a mortar, you’re all kittened.

I know booning up before a fight is a good thing, but rolling in as a bunched mass of people should be punished.

AOE cap also means that overwhelming numbers can never be defended against, becuase you can sit there arrowcarting endlessly and the randomness of the cap means that the people you hit with shot 1 are a different lot to those you hit with shot 2. I’ve arrowcarted a huge blob of people for ages and gotten very little loot to show for it. Now when they spread out a litte, cap ceases to be a factor, that’s when I get bags all round my feet.

Yes, increase the cap (I agree that removing it entirely may not work mechanically), so that the standard format is: bunch up for boons then spead out to provide too many targets for the enemy to blitz in one go!

TL;DR Ingame warfare shouldn’t encourage blobbing up by taking advantage of a magical umbrella called AOE cap. Make it more realistic!!

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Middzz.1490

Middzz.1490

Have no problem with no AOE cap as long as 2 other points are implemented at the same time or before ..
1.AOE damages all in area ie friendly fire and not reduced.
2.That LOS is implemented correctly not the 2d way is now and zoom hacks removed .

Without those removal AOE limits is un realistic .

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Faranox.4217

Faranox.4217

Unfortunately it does appear to be a technical limitation. I’m not about to call Devon Carver a liar.

Just wanted to hop in and mention, again, that the AoE cap on player skills is a technical limitation. Were we to increase that, skill lag would get considerably worse.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Why-do-commanders-ask-us-to-stack/first

Chops Mcgee, of Anvil Rock

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: MagiKarp.8201

MagiKarp.8201

For those who didn’t play at the start of the game, one of the major reasons for adding an aoe cap on skills was because of “Survival stacks” which were original guild wars 2 meta.

You could stack 40+ people, chain waterfields and protection buffs and never die. This was convenient until servers reached critical mass of players meaning zerg fights could go on forever. Whereas with the limitations now through 5 cap aoe you have to be smart with your skills, waterfields and boons instead of boons stacking infinitely on players and one Elementalist / water field being able to heal an 80man zerg to full.

^ The above I remember stacking in a now, inconceivable amount of AC fire (pre-buff) and healing through it due to no aoe cap.

As to increasing the aoe cap, it wouldn’t work, increasing it to 10 would just mean that the 80man zerg can now kill the 20-30 man group twice as fast. 80 man groups should always be able to kill 20-30mans regardless of skills because at the end of the day people can claim to be super leet and be a zerg busting guild but few actually achieve this feet therefore the point isn’t very valid.

Magikarps Norn Ele – becuz leopard
Blackgate WvW Commander
Vanguard of Exiled Mercenaries [MERC] voem.enjin.com

(edited by MagiKarp.8201)

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Thesilentflute.8761

Thesilentflute.8761

It wasn’t the healing it was the last time they buffed necro they were out of control everyone played them and would just place marks everywhere hundreds of them and it was killing class balance. Honestly I think necro should be the only class with the cap.

What do you know necro killed balance in the game again I think that is a sign that you guys should fire who ever it is in charge of said balance.

I see good ideas every day …good in theory. – Shawn Farthing
Masters in Geek Mythology
YOU ARE NOT THE INVENTOR OF WORDS!!! lol

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Engels.8537

Engels.8537

To promote mindless zerg and a friendly enviroment so noobs and unskilled players may think they are good pvp players,

Don’t talk to me about toughness and vitality, damage avoidance is all in this game

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: SpehssMehreen.5897

SpehssMehreen.5897

Simple question. Why is there an aoe cap? And no, please do not come up with that “technical limitation” lie. There has been thousands games before this with massive pvp and no aoe cap, why would your engine be somehow so infernior to that of these older games?

Lie? a Lie? thats quiet a big accusation to state, especially when the answer to your question has already been communication many many times by other forum users and Anet employees in the past, I hope your capable to back up your claim of those anet people “lying”, taking into account that devon himself already gave you an answer to your question in the past

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

The AoE cap is a very good thing. Without it, ranged AoE would completely dominate. Just look at the arrowcarts. Does anybody actually like them? Nobody like them. Running mobile arrowcart builds would be the new meta. Just pump AoE into everything. Its already a complete mess if you’ve seen a 50v50 engagement, but at least its an epic mess in terms of combat behaviour. Without an AoE cap it’d be pop oh everybody is dead. Great fun!

Not to mention if you think lag is bad now, the game will be unplayable without the AoE cap.

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Thesilentflute.8761

Thesilentflute.8761

The aoe cap was added a few months ago and the game was playable. The problem is they did a blanked nerf when they should have just nerfed necro aoe as it was the problem. Most other classes with aoe have a proper cd to keep them in check. The exception thief cluster bomb and engi nades, but they both need a direct dmg nerf anyway.

I see good ideas every day …good in theory. – Shawn Farthing
Masters in Geek Mythology
YOU ARE NOT THE INVENTOR OF WORDS!!! lol

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

The AoE cap is a very good thing. Without it, ranged AoE would completely dominate. Just look at the arrowcarts. Does anybody actually like them? Nobody like them. Running mobile arrowcart builds would be the new meta. Just pump AoE into everything. Its already a complete mess if you’ve seen a 50v50 engagement, but at least its an epic mess in terms of combat behaviour. Without an AoE cap it’d be pop oh everybody is dead. Great fun!

Not to mention if you think lag is bad now, the game will be unplayable without the AoE cap.

Thats why the zergs would have to break up, so that’s why the AoE cap needs to be lifted.

Treat the AoE calculations however their siege calculations are done, problem solved. I have yet to see a mass arrowcarting cause any lag, so we know full well if our AoE was treated the same way, it would cause more problem.. It may actually even fix the current skill lag.

Aside from that, it’d create even a greater problem.. Retaliation would wipe the AoE’ers out in the blink of an eye.

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

Apparently people don’t understand that the aoe cap applies to friendly spells as well, so if it were gone not only would you have enemies aoeing everyone, but you’d have allies giving boons and heals to everyone.

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: MagiKarp.8201

MagiKarp.8201

Apparently people don’t understand that the aoe cap applies to friendly spells as well, so if it were gone not only would you have enemies aoeing everyone, but you’d have allies giving boons and heals to everyone.

As I said above.

Not only this but “Oh it would make busting zergs so much easier” cept for the fact the zerg also now doesn’t have aoe cap and they have more aoe’s than your “leet” squad.

Magikarps Norn Ele – becuz leopard
Blackgate WvW Commander
Vanguard of Exiled Mercenaries [MERC] voem.enjin.com

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Thedarkdot.2793

Thedarkdot.2793

Lol, no.

Too high AoE cap:
-Way too many boons
-Instant retal death
-Zergs would only be stronger vs small groups because no AoE cap on buffs, they’d be immortal.

5 AC’s with a 50 man cap =/= 50 people with a 50 man cap, so you can’t compare them in terms of lag. The way a game handles anything isn’t the same either, so there is little point in comparing this to DAoC .

And the guy shouting realism:
If games where realistic they’d be boring and unfair.
No game is realistic, that’s why it is a game.

Because of the AoE cap things are balanced for small groups as well as zergs, because they ‘simulate’ small groups.
We’ve got siege and lines to take care of large groups.

Thetinydot [OATH], mesmer
Ring of Fire

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Azraelle.1683

Azraelle.1683

Because arenanet is poor company. They can’t afford decent server hardware so WWW constantly lags, they can’t afford qualified programmers so server’s software is unoptimized.

Thief/Guardian. Desolation [EU]

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Dutchares.6084

Dutchares.6084

Really, again with the aoe cap!!
This doesnt solve anything
DAOC didnt had AOE cap and large battles changed into Dark Ages Of Cast a lot.
Where first part of a melee train got killed instantly when charging in to all the casters casting. And large battles means 2 groups of casters casting at eachother from max range where no one dared to charge into the other group.

Problem isnt with the zergs, check out videos of TUP or RG or other descent guild group, they are killing zergs 3 or more times their size group all the time.
Problem is with the lag. When small better groups loose because they cant use their skills. Thats why all good guild groups stay away from top tiers.

And it is ofcourse that zerging still the best tactic is if you play for points. (but since good small groups dont want to go to top tiers because of lag, it isnt really a problem)
Because even if you run small groups instead of 1 big zerg.. and manage to take a tower or keep before the enemy zerg gets to you , you will most likely use it right away because T1 tower – keep is still very hard to hold against a very large group (especialy when you used up all the supplies to get the tower-keep)

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: zerospin.8604

zerospin.8604

What Devon is referring to must be the exponential increase in the amount of data needed to be transferred around when the number of AoE targets is increased. Pretty sure one of them mentioned it’s a O(n^2) complexity problem, which means to fix it you need to completely rewrite the system, or spend a lot of cash on bandwidth + processing just to handle these specific zerg fights. Problem is that they won’t spend that time and money just to fix the occasional blob fight, if all the other areas of the game run just fine on the current hardware. As I keep saying, WvW is just a side game – the main game are the festivals. Completely backward if you ask me :P

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Plainview.7029

Plainview.7029

As to increasing the aoe cap, it wouldn’t work, increasing it to 10 would just mean that the 80man zerg can now kill the 20-30 man group twice as fast. 80 man groups should always be able to kill 20-30mans regardless of skills because at the end of the day people can claim to be super leet and be a zerg busting guild but few actually achieve this feet therefore the point isn’t very valid.

Which is why I’ve always felt that the outmanned buff should carry an increase to the cap with it. Nothing over the top, but if you are severely outnumbered, why shouldn’t the disadvantaged get an increase to the aoe cap. 10 sounds like it could be cataclysmic, but even 8 instead of 5. This would give outmanned defenders a little bit of an edge against those infamous 80 man blobs.

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Fordel.3208

Fordel.3208

You mean an unfortunate lack of awareness due to not panning their cameras while mindlessly following the zerg leader. A large group of people all clumped up on each other not paying attention deserve to die in seconds to a smaller group bombing them to kitten and back with AoE.

I don’t mind the fact fact that people like to run in big zergs, and I don’t mind getting rolled by larger numbers. But the fact that the side that already has the numerical advantage is getting its hand held by an AoE cap as well as how the rally system works stacks the odds so much in a zergs favor they don’t have to pay attention at all.

Nah man, the DaoC engine was not that good. We would be inside zergs and exploding them before any of them even rendered us half the time. They got to react to their friends corpses.

Put that aside though, look at like, any Lord room fight. In that game or even this one. Look at how ridiculous it is to break into a choke/room when they got the AC stack going. What happens when you got everyone adding their own limitless AE on top of that choke point.

Like sure, my ranger is poor and could use the bag money, but it’s not really a good time.

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Nikola.3841

Nikola.3841

Simple question. Why is there an aoe cap? And no, please do not come up with that “technical limitation” bull crap. There has been thousands games before this with massive pvp and no aoe cap, why would your engine be somehow so infernior to that of these older games?

Please show me all these “thousands games” with massive PvP, all I can think of is DAoC and that game was quite “weak” compared to GW2.

I would say that technical limitations is actually a rather good and logical answer, one can also assume that it might have to do with balancing and such as well.

Weak? Please explain before you get your MMO license revoked

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Even if they could remove the cap and not suffer a tremendous amount of extra lag, they would have to nerf it some other way. Most likely they would simply take the pool of damage and spread it out over all the targets. It is a bad idea if an ele could do a 100k + DPS because they dropped one AoE on a stack.

There is virtually no scenario where removing the cap is a good idea either for technical or balance reasons.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: XII.9401

XII.9401

DAOC gameplay was superior to gw2 wvw as it was more competitive and fun. Sadly the graphics department etc falls short of what people want these days.

As for this guy ^^^ check his replies. Mostly pve and lore stuff that casual/pve players go for who usually never played DAOC or found it too hard to actually use more than one button.

The AOE limit was put in place for technical limitations. I think there was a reply by a dev somewhere stating that. It most likely was put in to favor casual/bad lemming players.

Anyone who claims it is for balance is just a bad player who likely doesn’t know how to step out of the big red circles.

Imagine if a 30 man was wiped by a 10man because they were clustered together, weren’t paying attention and had zero scounts and were not on voice -the state of most bad wvw players-. That zerg would wipe but soon would learn to adapt.

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

XII.9401

Even if they could remove the cap and not suffer a tremendous amount of extra lag, they would have to nerf it some other way. Most likely they would simply take the pool of damage and spread it out over all the targets. It is a bad idea if an ele could do a 100k + DPS because they dropped one AoE on a stack.

There is virtually no scenario where removing the cap is a good idea either for technical or balance reasons.

Um yes..giving lower populations a fighting chance thus preventing mass guild quitting from those servers?

Skill should be rewarded. Zerging lemmings should be punished and sent back to PVE or they will have to actually get on voice, post scouts..that kinda stuff intelligent people do.

Anyone who favors the AOE limit+ downed state is usually a casual player who doesn’t know the ins and outs of their own class let alone other classes.

Obviously the mesmer portal/mass invis have to be rethought.

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Faranox.4217

Faranox.4217

Um yes..giving lower populations a fighting chance thus preventing mass guild quitting from those servers?

Skill should be rewarded. Zerging lemmings should be punished and sent back to PVE or they will have to actually get on voice, post scouts..that kinda stuff intelligent people do.

The problem is that the zerg will also have limitless AoE BUFFS, thus negating the positive effect of the entire zerg being targetable.

Chops Mcgee, of Anvil Rock

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Weak? Please explain before you get your MMO license revoked

Weak as in not requiring as much power from the servers and such due to graphics and other limitations of that age.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Nikola.3841

The problem is that the zerg will also have limitless AoE BUFFS, thus negating the positive effect of the entire zerg being targetable.

Another bad/strange thing in this game…your buffs should work on your group only…whats the purpose to be in group beside changing green to blue dots on map?

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

XII.9401

That is not a problem..limit the AOE boons, nerf AOE boon duration so it actually is like spvp. You can limit AOE boons to be applied to 10 ppl in mini commander squads only etc.

Mindless zerging and overwhelmingly favoring numbers over gameplay is killing wvw as you have noticed from guilds mass quitting after the recent match ups.

The recent match up terrible system only exacerbated what was there before and quickened the decline of WvW.

How many Huge leading guilds quit WvW? Not only because they were losing but because there was zero challenge if you had the numbers. What successful game do you know of that had Leading WvW guilds quit in the first 6months of the game due to lack of challenge and in the 2nd 6months due to zergings and stale gameplay?

(edited by XII.9401)

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Yaro.3251

Yaro.3251

Well, you know…

Game’s motto is “Play The Way You Want”. If you take a look at it from such viewpoint, first question to ask is: Why your way is any better?

These zerging lemmimgs you are referring to may be quite effective in points game if they are determined and do not care about dying.

They would suicide to deny capture or to res lords over and over and wouldn’t care less about the skill level of your shiny elite guild. They would throw bodies at you over and over and over until you just can’t stand constant hour-long pressure. Yes Vizunah, I’m looking at you

Do I like this way of playing? No, god forbid. Do I think my way is better? For me – sure. For them – who am I to impose my views on them considering the game ideology doesn’t favor one over another?

Team Aggression [TA] – Golden Horde [GH]

(edited by Yaro.3251)

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Jscull.2514

Jscull.2514

Say what you want about “Zergs owning due to retaliation” guess what??? My group is smart enough not to continue attacking when that is up…. We’d smoke 30- 40 mans with 5 if we didn’t have Aoe cap. We already wipe 20.. And there are other 5 mans that do the same. The Aoe cap helps zergers stay alive to people like us…. That’s THE fact.

PAXA -GM

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

It has been stated by ANET that the AoE cap is a technical limitation, IE: their servers would burst into flames, and this nearly unplayable game would go full-on kitten at that point…..

Mag Server Leader

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Yaro.3251

Everyone knows that AoE cap was introduced due to technical limitations. Trying to shove some “balance” basis under it post-factum is laughable. So the initial design idea was probably exactly that – favor skill over numbers. Now AoE cap being a workaround to engine limitations, it is one of factors that makes zerg domination problem even bigger and harder to solve.

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Jscull.2514

Sorry, Anet is lying about their servers. Anyone who believes them probably believes this game won’t die as soon as other games come out with real player vs player.

News flash y’all, if Anet doesn’t make it less about the Zerg/seige and more about the player vs player, wvw is toast. It’s already heading that way. Just look at how many less people you see on a daily basis in many matchups (not all) but many. Look how much shorter the matchup threads are….. Thats called lack of / loss of interest.

PAXA -GM

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Yaro.3251

Sorry, Anet is lying about their servers. Anyone who believes them probably believes this game won’t die as soon as other games come out with real player vs player.

So we better believe you than Anet.

Got any source?

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

King Amadaeus.8619

News flash y’all, if Anet doesn’t make it less about the Zerg/seige and more about the player vs player, wvw is toast. It’s already heading that way. Just look at how many less people you see on a daily basis in many matchups (not all) but many. Look how much shorter the matchup threads are….. Thats called lack of / loss of interest.

I do not believe it would affect much on the lower tiers (outside the occasional epic SM fights), I think it would make the game unplayable on the higher tiers where there are more people on a consistent basis.

Anytime ANET actually tells me something will fail, I believe them, because there have been many instances where they think something is “working as intended” and it is actually not…So if they are acknowledging their failure, I will take their word for it.

But then again, I also do not think they know their kitten from a hole in the ground, so I may not be the best judge….

Either way the AoE promotes zerging, intentionally or not.

Mag Server Leader

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Jscull.2514

Give me the list of mechanics that do NOT promote Zerging in wvw??? Love to see this thought out list. What’s the line on the over under in Vegas it’s shorter than 5 total mechanics?

PAXA -GM

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

King Amadaeus.8619

Give me the list of mechanics that do NOT promote Zerging in wvw??? Love to see this thought out list. What’s the line on the over under in Vegas it’s shorter than 5 total mechanics?

I do not have any bro, I am sure some of the ANET fanboys will run along shortly and make some up….

The reality is this game (WvW), is in decline because there is nothing that cannot be solved by one thing: Add more numbers.

You got zerged by a mob? Add more numbers
You having trouble with a sieged up tower? Add more numbers
Your 40 man zerg got zerged by 60? Yep, add more numbers, try 80…
Dont like siege? Add more numbers and just PVgate it all down while your enemy sleeps.

Obviously there are many answers to all my “questions” above, but the reality is that adding more numbers/zerging/blobbing etc, will fix any problem. If you do not believe me just go browse matchup threads, and recruiting threads. There are plenty of people recruiting in both because they, well…WANT MOAR NUMBERS.

Mag Server Leader

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Yaro.3251

The reality is this game (WvW), is in decline

just go browse matchup threads, and recruiting threads. There are plenty of people recruiting in both

Just a side note – isn’t that kind of contradiction?

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: DevonCarver.5370

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

What you seem to be missing is that technical limitations are not about the fact that a solution somewhere may have existed for some other thing. Our game is using an engine that has these technical limitations. We could, for instance, display everything as text, which would solve the problem quite nicely, however we’ve found that our graphics offer something a text-based MMO couldn’t quite deliver. The point is, it is very much a limitation of our engine. The load on the server CPU would be quite simply unsustainable if we were to increase the AoE cap as the more players hit by skills the more calculations it has to do and it actually starts increasing exponentially, rather than sequentially. We continue to seek out ways to squeeze more performance out of our game and our servers, but it is highly unlikely we would ever make a change to the AoE limits on player skills.

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

What you seem to be missing is that technical limitations are not about the fact that a solution somewhere may have existed for some other thing. Our game is using an engine that has these technical limitations. We could, for instance, display everything as text, which would solve the problem quite nicely, however we’ve found that our graphics offer something a text-based MMO couldn’t quite deliver. The point is, it is very much a limitation of our engine. The load on the server CPU would be quite simply unsustainable if we were to increase the AoE cap as the more players hit by skills the more calculations it has to do and it actually starts increasing exponentially, rather than sequentially. We continue to seek out ways to squeeze more performance out of our game and our servers, but it is highly unlikely we would ever make a change to the AoE limits on player skills.

Yikes, I shudder to think about something similar with body blocking (being asked for in another thread) and all those collision detections being thrown in there.

#TeamJadeQuarry

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Nikola.3841

If true, that just means you have badly coded engine. I don’t see what damage calculations have to do with displaying things in fancy graphics, or text, as that is mainly client side. Also, how do you think DAOC managed to have no AOE cap, on Pentium 3 servers (it was not text based, mind you)

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: Mattargul.9235

Mattargul.9235

Yikes, I shudder to think about something similar with body blocking (being asked for in another thread) and all those collision detections being thrown in there.

If everyone turned on melee assist, wouldn’t that be the same? Let’s try it!!

mushroom cloud over GW2 server farm

Dances with Leaves – Guardian – Sanctum of Rall (SoR)

So why aoe cap?

in WvW

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Devon, don’t think it is highly unlikely people will (AND ALREADY HAVE) leave for that crap excuse. If you’re going to consider your company an “mmo powerhouse” deliver “powerhouse” gameplay. Excuses about why you can’t make a CRUCIAL game mechanic change are simply that… Excuses. Not professional. Gw2 lost almost all it’s competitive base and you aren’t willing to go the distance to capture the market share lost. Bad business model. Enjoy mediocrity.

Man, if I put the effort into working out that you put into trolling I’d be the next Mr. Universe. I’ve been programming for a couple decades now. It’s very easy to see how in incredibly large systems things that on the surface seem simple to a layman are in fact ungodly difficult if not nearly impossible to pull off without massive efforts due to the depth at which you have to make changes to the core of the system itself and how those changes radiate out to the system as a whole.

#TeamJadeQuarry