So... why do structural upgrades get lost on capture?

in WvW

Posted by: Revenant.2691

Revenant.2691

Anyone else think it’s a little odd that when you capture a fully-upgraded keep that the metal walls immediately turn back into wood, the fixed weapons disappear, and the gates go from reinforced to regular? I can understand why personnel upgrades would be reset, all the guards and merchants are either dead or fled when the place gets taken over, but the structural upgrades make no sense.

Now, I understand it’s supposed to be a gold sink, but in that respect it’s not working. In fact, besides your “home” keep (Garrison on your borderlands and whichever keep is nearest your spawn on EB), I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve seen fortified walls or a waypoint on any keep ever. Same goes for towers. It just doesn’t seem to be worth the investment when it’ll all get lost if the place falls.

Wouldn’ kitten make more sense to have the structural upgrades be permanent, but have them cost more in both gold and supply? That way you’d see the battlefields evolve a lot more as the match went on, and the upgrades would be a lot more important as well as utilized more. I know that I, for one, would much rather spend a gold on a wall upgrade for a tower that I knew would be there even if we lost it and took it back than 15 silver that would just disappear if the place got capped after I logged off.

Thoughts?

in WvW

Posted by: Keldrath.4735

Keldrath.4735

you don’t see that issue in my match up, everythings fully upgraded at all times, and when somethings taken, the people who took it upgrade the hell out of it and defend it. even towers and supply camps. well, sometimes for the supply camps.

80 Necromancer/Guardian/Mesmer
Isle of Janthir
Super Ultra Mega Awesome [SUMA]

in WvW

Revenant.2691

Well, that’s HoD… y’all are kinda crazy with that PvP ;p I’m on Emhry, which is around the middle of the bracket, and I can say that in the past two rounds I’ve seen at max 5 fully-upgraded keeps and maybe 10 towers, on our side and the enemy. That’s mostly in the borderlands, too, where at least for us things tend to stay more static. We held Stonemist for the entire last round and it was never fully upgraded.

Even discounting that… doesn’ kitten seem a little nonsensical that the attackers apparently tear down a set of perfectly good metal/stone walls and put up wooden ones out of pure distaste for the enemy?

in WvW

Posted by: Keldrath.4735

Keldrath.4735

I think it makes it more fair, now after we spent all that time attacking and capturing it, we are vulnerable until we can get the upgrades in place, which takes a lot of supply and of course the purchasing of the upgrade, it’s an investment to hold onto it easier for a longer period in a more defensible position, but allows the opposing team time to try to reclaim their keep/tower/supply camp, both by cutting off supply to the keep to prevent the upgrades from happening, and by taking it before the upgrades finish.

It would be much harder for them to take it back if we just automagically got their upgrades and used them against them. I don’t think it would be very fair and it would take away some of the strategic elements to it, this at least gives them a window to retake it before it becomes a much tougher ordeal.

80 Necromancer/Guardian/Mesmer
Isle of Janthir
Super Ultra Mega Awesome [SUMA]

in WvW

Revenant.2691

I suppose. I find assaulting a fully-upgraded keep to be a lot more fun though. It takes a lot more strategy than just zerging it to death, like a keep with no upgrades.

in WvW

Posted by: tarnin.1690

tarnin.1690

Well you did just blow though the doors/wall and probably destroyed the siege to get in. You will have to bring in your own soldiers and workers and replace that stuff. It makes sense mostly. I know its done from a fairness point of view but even realistically the only thing that should stay upgraded would be either the walls/door depending on what you knocked down to get in.

in WvW

Posted by: Zierk.4289

Zierk.4289

I can see why it gets reset but hey, if i just knock 2 doors down you would think “Why can’t I keep your metal walls”

Zierk [VA] Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
Vigiliant Addiction – Multi-Gaming Community
http://www.vigilantaddiction.com

in WvW

Revenant.2691

Yeah, and even then those doors could have been repaired by the defenders with a couple supply runs.

Tarnin, I said in the original post that the personnel upgrades getting reset does make sense. Not talking about that. Even the siege I can kinda see getting destroyed, even though it just respawns a building site in 3 minutes when it’s destroyed if you don’t capture the keep. But those big honkin’ walls and gates? The fact that 75%+ of the walls aren’t destructible in the first place nonwithstanding.

in WvW

Posted by: tarnin.1690

tarnin.1690

I agree with you on the walls “Hey, i blew though your gate, why did the walls all of a sudden turn into twigs?” It really is from a balance stand point though. Can’t really look at a game that as gerbil people running around smashing you in the face with a hammer very realistic though lol.

in WvW

Posted by: Hillierawrs.5834

Hillierawrs.5834

Well i think its a bit ridiculous aswell, but for your state of mind, just think there’s “traps” in the enemy walls, and thats why they don’t wanna keep it. Paranoid fighters ftw!

I am woman, Hear me roar.