So why wasn't gliding in new maps?

in WvW

Posted by: Zefrost.3425

Zefrost.3425

So, at some point along the development process – since the WvW maps were being designed at the same time as Heart of Thorns – didn’t any of the designers ever say,

“Hey, what about gliding? Shouldn’t we add that to WvW?”

No? Okay, wow. Because there is literally no good reason that the new maps weren’t designed with gliders in mind. Which makes no sense considering the verticality. Too much verticality, btw.

Especially from a marketing point of view. Did no marketers say, “We should add gliding as a feature to the new WvW maps but only people that purchase Heart of Thorns can glide.”

No? I would post an insult about the marketers but that would be bad in Anets eyes.

Anyways, that’s my post. Bye.

in WvW

Posted by: zhonnika.1784

zhonnika.1784

Going to guess that even if they could put in barriers around keeps/towers, people would find ways into them. Fix that way, and they’d be at it again. Instead of constantly patching what could be endless bugs (or ignoring them forever), they probably just wanted to avoid it all together.

Kashmara – Elementalist | Reapermara – Necromancer
Jade Quarry
Onslaught [OnS]

in WvW

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

So, at some point along the development process – since the WvW maps were being designed at the same time as Heart of Thorns – didn’t any of the designers ever say,

“Hey, what about gliding? Shouldn’t we add that to WvW?”

No? Okay, wow. Because there is literally no good reason that the new maps weren’t designed with gliders in mind. Which makes no sense considering the verticality. Too much verticality, btw.

Especially from a marketing point of view. Did no marketers say, “We should add gliding as a feature to the new WvW maps but only people that purchase Heart of Thorns can glide.”

No? I would post an insult about the marketers but that would be bad in Anets eyes.

Anyways, that’s my post. Bye.

I am pretty sure the same person(s) that made the HoT maps made the desert BL. And they did so with gliding in mind and then someone decided only HoT maps get gliding so they removed it. That’s the only way I can imagine it was designed the way it is. I agree with you that gliding should be added as its such a waste only having it in HoT maps. I know people would have complained that it is P2W but I would have rather they used gliding as incentive for buying HoT. Rather than nerfing all the rewards in the old Tyria maps. IMO they should have made it so all masteries work in all parts of the game except for maybe in spvp. Gliding in WvW and Tyria PVE maps would have been awesome. So what if they trivializes a few things. After playing through the story I have not been back to the HoT maps so gliding might as well not even exist for me.

in WvW

Posted by: xamax.8027

xamax.8027

Being in a zerg who are all gliding, while playing Ride of the Valkyries
would be so cool. just saying.

its silly and stupid that gliding is only in the HOT maps,
which I am already getting bored with.

Xamax

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

As someone whom likes to break out of maps, I’ve found there’s a surprising number of invisible walls already in place. Gliding should be implemented game wide. It should have been given top priority to get it right and get it game wide before implementing it.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Nikola.3841

Nikola.3841

For MMO to fail, developers just have to listen to voices of lots of clueless silly people

in WvW

DeWolfe.2174

For MMO to fail, developers just have to listen to voices of lots of clueless silly people

For MMO to survive, developers just have to listen to the voices of lots of intelligent and helpful people.

Now please do continue to enjoy your glass of half empty.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Buy Some Apples.6390

Buy Some Apples.6390

The same reason why gliding was only added to the new maps and left out of the rest of tyria.

Anet a simply too lazy.

Also it would be fun, cant have fun in this game, only grind.

Complained about WvW before it became cool.
I used to be a PvE player like you, then I played Guild Wars 2

in WvW

Posted by: Nikola.3841

Nikola.3841

Would you be able to shoot those people in air?
If no, why not?
Would people without HoT be able to glide too?
If no air battles, what prevents you from having 1 scout, and at slightest sign of enemy inc, just everyone hops in the air and glides away?

Would it be fun to have 7-8 people in air and in TS relaying eveyone ALL enemy movement?

Would it be fun for 1 poor soloer/roamer who didn’t buy HoT to constantly been killed by group of 2 or 3 gliders just looking sor easy solo kills?

(edited by Nikola.3841)

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Going to guess that even if they could put in barriers around keeps/towers, people would find ways into them. Fix that way, and they’d be at it again. Instead of constantly patching what could be endless bugs (or ignoring them forever), they probably just wanted to avoid it all together.

This was my initial reaction to gliding being introduced – my mind immediately went to a variety of towers and the cliffs by Anz in EBG leading to tower/keep flips, and how difficult it would be to manage.

I’m not sure if I’d want it in some maps and not others. Since gliding is a HoT-only feature, you’d have people forgetting where it is and isn’t available as many do already. Real frustrating to jump off a cliff only to remember while falling you can’t glide in this area. I know a lot of people have died this way including myself. Going on BL patrol for several hours and then moving to EBG would probably cause of lot of unnecessary deaths.

I really just want alpine back T.T

in WvW

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

Notice that they removed the ability for a Necro to pop Spectral Walk in mid-air just before hitting the ground, and then pop the Spectral Return so there is no damage taken JUST before HoT dropped. They said because it wasn’t supposed to work that way (though, it was really the only – Oh Crap, gotta get away skill – that Necros had short of the lame Wurm teleport). In all honesty, I believe they removed it because they didn’t want Necros to be able to get through the new maps by dropping down massive cliffs.

So gliding? I wish…never going to happen though.

But it would be awesome – ACs and Ballistas that could hit mid-air objects. Trebs and catas firing what amounts to anti-aircraft barrages. Enemies trying to glide over walls could be shot down by new NPCs using big rifles (bazookas???).

That would be so sweet.

And, Anet could certainly make gliding a part of WvW without HoT. It would have nothing to do with HoT Masteries – there could be a new category in WvW skills – Gliding (similar to HoT):

1 pt: Basic Gliding
4 pts: Lean Techniques
10 pts: Advanced Gliding
25 pts: Stealth Gliding

in WvW

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

Oooo…part of tower/keep upgrades is a Barrier Dome. The site always has a basic Dome (like walls), then Reinforced, then Fortified. Enemies can try to disable the dome by pummeling it like they do a wall, with the added ability to drop bombs while Gliding!

So…new level in Gliding:

50 pts: Glide bombing

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Simple answer:
Because the new WvW map was designed a while ago, before they designed the HoT content and gliders.

You can see that the new WvW map isn’t “HoT content” from the jump pads that do not work as well as in HoT either. It’s also probably why it was released for free.

in WvW

Posted by: Hakuryuu.8634

Hakuryuu.8634

Something something balance

in WvW

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

Because too much effort.

safhdbakfja

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif

in WvW

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I’d guess because they designed it before gliders were finalized, and you have to kinda build glidable maps with gliders in mind.

I doubt we’ll see a wvw map with gliding until after HoT is free, just so they can be sure everyone has reasonable access to gliders so they can make bits of the map actually require them, or simply make them perma-active in the WvW maps.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in WvW

Posted by: cyberwolf.5830

cyberwolf.5830

I think because you can play wvw without hot expansion

in WvW

DeWolfe.2174

I think because you can play wvw without hot expansion

HoT has exclusives in sPvP. If they allow it in their E-sport, I highly doubt they’d mind it in WvW.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

The new maps should be converted to the fifth HoT zone with full gliding and all PvE.

They don’t belong in WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

yeah sure gliding is EXAAAATLY what wvw needs. flying into keeps and towers, exploiting map areas and the amazing gliding ability that makes u invisible yay so on top of having parts of the map with invisible zergs, we will have FLYING invisible zergs….oooh cool, quick now lets get mounts too and flying dragons that attack the keeps for u ….

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood