SoS Guild's Letter to WM

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: Chaster Sharpshooter.3640

Chaster Sharpshooter.3640

To War Machine:

You may treat this as one of my formal declaration on my opinion on you.
First of all, as you all know it, I’m the guy that welcomes all, especially when you are no small guest.

I would expect that we, SoS guild of Kaineng, would not do anything that would disgrace our names. However, because I am fully aware of the fact that there are Korean-haters in Taiwan, so if you ever heard any of my members using racial comments or insults, let me know, and I will personally fire them out of the guild.

But, Kaineng is our home after all. We have already established a cultural thing here in Kaineng, therefore, it is also our responsibility to let you get accustomed to our world.

Being Asian, we all know speaking in our language is much easier to communicate, heck, we SoS do that all the time. However, please do be considerate to others that can NOT read our language. If SoS were to speak our language across map/team chat, we INCLUDE ENGLISH TRANSLATIONS. This is to ensure that everyone can easily read and everyone can understand.

However, in the case of Say chat, since it’s meant to communicate with people close to you, heck, go nuts, speak pure Korean all you want, as I know that you meant whatever you are saying to the people near you, and most likely won’t be directed to me.

I have already personally witnessed many cases of Korean flying over map chat in LA, and I’m like, "What is he talking about?" And when I asked for translation, I was ignored. Honestly, I feel I disrespected, but, hey, you guys are new here, and that’s why we need to communicate and get accustomed to each others, thus the purpose of this open letter.

Great communication will result in great interaction. Let’s hope that this can turn out to be a positive exchange of thoughts.

War Machine, being Asian, we welcome you. I’d just hope that you’d respect others just like we do

Sincerely yours.

Chaster the Scarred, Leader of SoS guild.

“To learn is what I need, to teach those who needs to learn is my duty …”
Chaster the Scarred – Leader of [SoS] Guilds
Server: Kaineng | Recruitment Status: Open

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: Toast.6459

Toast.6459

Might want to change your title to clarify you’re referring to a guild, not the server to avoid unneeded drama. “SoS’s (guild) letter to WM” or such.

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: Ranc.7192

Ranc.7192

Wm went to SOS?

Rexir-80 Guardian
Guild- [EMP]
Server-Jade Quarry

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: omnislash.7106

omnislash.7106

Nono SoS is a guild a kaineng

Ktyz [CNB]
Cmdr
-Kaineng

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: Diashame.6328

Diashame.6328

Predicts next question
“WM went to Kaineng?”

Dia – [RET]
Fort Aspenwood – the PvP server

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Might want to change your title to clarify you’re referring to a guild, not the server to avoid unneeded drama. “SoS’s (guild) letter to WM” or such.

Well, that was originally the plan … but meh, fine, topic changed :p

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

To the OP:
I am not in WM however when I was on SBI server, they did have translators.
The best thing to do it try to contact their leaders, and ask for names of the translators, because WM used to have them. (Then again that was a long time ago.)

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: amberlin.5124

amberlin.5124

To WM (and SoS),

I may talk in Dutch, French, Simplified Chinese, Cherokee or make affectations of American Sign Language on any channel. I may not offer to translate. I may, in fact, be trying to exclude you from the conversation. You may ask what I’m talking about but don’t feel offended if I or other parties do not understand you if you do not ask us in Dutch, French, Simplified Chinese, Cherokee or make affectations of American Sign Language.

And while we are at it… doesn’t this belong in the cat box of an enjin server forum, lordie!

Just wow. Just kitty-kat wow. Work that runway, Chaster! /facepalm

(edited by amberlin.5124)

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: Churros.7196

Churros.7196

To WM (and SoS),

I may talk in Dutch, French, Simplified Chinese, Cherokee or make affectations of American Sign Language on any channel. I may not offer to translate. I may, in fact, be trying to exclude you from the conversation. You may ask what I’m talking about but don’t feel offended if I or other parties do not understand you if you do not ask us in Dutch, French, Simplified Chinese, Cherokee or make affectations of American Sign Language.

And while we are at it… doesn’t this belong in the cat box of an enjin server forum, lordie!

Just wow. Just kitty-kat wow. Work that runway, Chaster! /facepalm

Yes, and this is called having bad manners.

If I started to speak in foreign language which only a small group of people can understand in that area, other people might as well think these people are making fun of them. This may be not the case for a lot of the times, but it does happen.

Have some foreign people next to you that were speaking in chinese(or whatever language) and started to burst out in laughter? yeah, they are making fun of your clothing preference, or your face.

This maybe ok if you are gathered in LA and just wanted to chat with your friends, but I have seen people talk in random langauges in dungeons with party chat. This is just plain rude. If you want to exclude someone in your party for a certain conversation, use whisper or guild chat, not party chat.

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: zortek.9607

zortek.9607

Have some foreign people next to you that were speaking in chinese(or whatever language) and started to burst out in laughter? yeah, they are making fun of your clothing preference, or your face.

This is an issue for professional therapy… not for this forum. I’m not inclined to report this, but please don’t go down this rabbit hole any further.

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: coronbale.3894

coronbale.3894

TSYM from SoS (server not guild) here, if I might make a suggestion.

This weekend, with family visits on me, I had a few hours to kick around. In that time I was able to throw together (with zero knoledge on design) a fully made site for my guild.

My site used http://www.enjin.com/

SoS (again, the server) has a server site, complete with forums. We use it for all sorts of things, including getting through grievances between guilds. My recommendation is to fire one of these up, invite your powerhouse of a guild lineup to join, and start handling little things like this internally.

If you do it on the main forums, you will get EVERYONES input, including mine

Best of luck!
TSYM

Leader of [TSym]
Sea of Sorrows
IGN – Coron

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

I find this thread very odd. Why is it here on these forums? Why are you presenting a simple request as some big official ultimatum? Why didn’t you just try to talk to them in game? Why is it even that big of a deal?

The whole thing just smacks of baseless self importance.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

To the OP:
The best thing to do it try to contact their leaders, and ask for names of the translators, because WM used to have them. (Then again that was a long time ago.)

Thank you for this information, will sure try to get a hold of them.

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

I find this thread very odd. Why is it here on these forums? Why are you presenting a simple request as some big official ultimatum? Why didn’t you just try to talk to them in game? Why is it even that big of a deal?

The whole thing just smacks of baseless self importance.

1. First of all, as I have stated, I have asked for translate, and I was ignored.

2. I do not know (sorry) who their leader is.

3. Because both being Asian, an open letter is much easier to communicate than over in game chats, as it can be translated and can leave for future reference.

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: shunobee.6907

shunobee.6907

In game chat supports Asian characters?

[mend] – Eredon Terrace

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: Fannwong.3059

Fannwong.3059

Hello Chaster,

Thank you for your post. I am an international member of WM (not an officer, just a soldier), I am an English, Mandarin & Fujian speaker but I don’t speak nor understand Korean.

Regarding translation, it’s a bit difficult as most of the Korean members completely do not speak English nor use English as a working language in game. There are only a few translators within the WM community.

I do apologize if the Korean chat has offended the Kaineng community, we really mean no harm.

FW

[SoX] – JQ

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: Brimwood.7963

Brimwood.7963

Haven’t been in WvW much this week so that news escaped me but…wow, War machine joined us huh? That’s amazing

Am however quite familiar with language problems and my advice to anyone on Kaineng is…don’t let the Korean bother you. It will simply be because they don’t speak English yet mapchat is the most convenient means for them to talk. There’s absolutely no reason to get paranoid and assume they’re trying to hide information. They would still communicate through other means if they wanted to make sure no one listened to their conversation in case someone spoke Korean (far from unthinkable on our largely Asian server).

To that end, Chaster’s request is perfectly reasonable and so is posting it here on the forums. It is most definitely in the benefit of Kaineng that the leaders of the top guilds here communicate with each other (quite aside from the fact that I love it and find it interesting from a cultural perspective as well) and this is simply the most efficient way to get in touch with a guild where most people don’t speak your language if you don’t know who the leader is (as evidenced by Fannwong’s reply).
Hope it works out and that WM finds a great new home here!

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

To the OP:

Thank you for this information, will sure try to get a hold of them.

Back when I was on SBI server Miasmic myself and a few others used to work with Bissa in WM.
I worked with Bissa more then others, so I don’t remember names well, though I know WM has some translators. (Not sure if Bissa still plays or not, but it’s worth a try.) They are some very nice people, and know a good deal about WvW, fast movement, building siege quickly, ect…

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Hello Chaster,

Thank you for your post. I am an international member of WM (not an officer, just a soldier), I am an English, Mandarin & Fujian speaker but I don’t speak nor understand Korean.

Regarding translation, it’s a bit difficult as most of the Korean members completely do not speak English nor use English as a working language in game. There are only a few translators within the WM community.

I do apologize if the Korean chat has offended the Kaineng community, we really mean no harm.

FW

Yeah, I’m fully aware of the fact that Koreans might not speak English at all, heck, even n some of my Taiwanese gulidies here cannot speak english as well XD

I’m Asian, so I know it. It is tempting to just use a globally available channel for communication, but, as far as I know, there’s a thing called Guild chat, and assuming all Koreans are in War Machine guild, and not so much in War Machine and War Machine International, I don’t personally see it’s necessary to shout over map chat unless it’s something that you want everyone to hear.

Because the only reason why I’m bringing this subject up, is because I’m catching wind that WM moving to Kaineng is starting a chain reaction of having more Koreans moving into Kaineng, and without a leader showing example on better language respect, I just don’t want to see LA’s map chat is getting spammed with koreans just talking over with each other and leave people clueless what the heck they are talking about.

This could just be the second most annoying thing I’ll be seeing after gold selling spam bots unless this is resolved.

Heck, there are already people getting offended just by seeing ANY foreign symbols (even when there’s translations), seeing Koreans just use map chat as party/whisper/guild chat would worsen it much much more.

So, it’d be nice if you guys can actually forward this message to the actual War Machine Koreans and have some feed back from them, thanks.

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: Dhampyr.2104

Dhampyr.2104

Thank you for being proactive on this, Chaster! I haven’t seen this as an issue at all yet, and hopefully it will never become one thanks to your efforts.

As a guy who speaks a little Korean, I’m looking forward to getting some practice with WM aboard! ^.^

Eve Morrow, Mesmer, Eve Flamescythe, Ele
Tarnished Coast

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Thank you for being proactive on this, Chaster! I haven’t seen this as an issue at all yet, and hopefully it will never become one thanks to your efforts.

As a guy who speaks a little Korean, I’m looking forward to getting some practice with WM aboard! ^.^

You don’t wanna know, you don’t wanna know.

We used to have a big fight within our Taiwanese guilds just because we all see different perspective on how and where to use our own language.

Because of this, the guilds were kinda … “split” because of this.

So … You don’t wanna know, you don’t wanna know.

sighs

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Dear WM.

Come to Tarnished Coast. You won’t have this issue.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

zortek.9607

TSYM from SoS (server not guild) here, if I might make a suggestion.

This weekend, with family visits on me, I had a few hours to kick around. In that time I was able to throw together (with zero knoledge on design) a fully made site for my guild.

My site used http://www.enjin.com/

SoS (again, the server) has a server site, complete with forums. We use it for all sorts of things, including getting through grievances between guilds. My recommendation is to fire one of these up, invite your powerhouse of a guild lineup to join, and start handling little things like this internally.

If you do it on the main forums, you will get EVERYONES input, including mine

Best of luck!
TSYM

Kaineng Community Server? Apparently, someone took your advice. kaineng.enjin.com

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Meh, honestly, at the moment, I kinda give up at the community page that Kaineng has set up.

We had a few. http://www.kainengunited.com (sponsored by LaZy, who left), and then we have http://theevermooralliance.enjin.com (sponsored by War, iSpy, and many of the evermoor alliance, who also left), let’s just see how long this one will last.

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: sheldon.3825

sheldon.3825

Predicts next question
“WM went to Kaineng?”

wm and a few fellow freindly clan’s members left sbi to kaineng for real this time i think..

Valkyrie Slayer Warrior [Commander]
Shelenn Elementalist / Pink Cloak Thief / Valkyrie Templar Guardian
Member of [GR] from Kaineng Server

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

sheldon.3825

With SoS, WM, DE, CNB, EF, (Sorry if I missed out any larger wvw guild), is this a new beginning of Kaineng Era?

wm and it’s alliance but not whole clans :p
anyways some1 mentioned about wm translator, i used to do translation as well sometime for wm, but mostly for my clan DD. so, i believe they still have translators, and some english speaking members. also please understand most of us koreans don’t speak english well. I am 1 of 3 english speaker in my whole clan.
3 out of 400+? if this explains..

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: Jabtangs.9251

Jabtangs.9251

I thank you your welcome Chaster.

Sorry for the late reply. I got informed that this thread existed by one of my guild mates. I am an English speaking officer (and Korean). And I am fully aware of where all your concerns as we have been through a similar problem while at SBI a long time ago. As people have already mentioned most of our Korean members do not speak English very well and find it easy to just communicate in Korean. When we were in SBI, we used to map chat in WvW for faster communication with other Korean guilds. We also added translations if needed. But we sometimes didn’t feel like we needed to when it was strictly directed to another Korean commander/members.

Now that we have moved our home, we must follow the rules here at Kaineng. I’ll get the message across to everyone that we are no longer in SBI so we should be more careful about typing Korean in map chat.

We’ll get things sorted out fast so this won’t become an issue to other Kaineng members.

Jophiel Jabtangs – Mesmer
War Machine [WM] | Stormbluff Isle

(edited by Jabtangs.9251)

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: dirtyoldgoat.5496

dirtyoldgoat.5496

Dear knights of the Kaineng Relm. I harkon you to also include the lordly tongue of RP. Its the only the language of the fair and the strong. Kindly yours.

Lord Druid.

Fallendruid, White Lighter, The Native Sun
PINK is the new Black
Tarnished Coast (via Tyranny)

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: fivekiller.1432

fivekiller.1432

Dear WM.

i know right!

I bet half of Yak’s Bend would take a class on how to speak Korean or whatever if they would transfer there.

We can even declare Korean the official language of Yak’s Bend.

-Desirz Matheon

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: KensaiZen.3740

KensaiZen.3740

Hate to sound racist but the amount of ignorant people had to post saying thus kind of thing is not needed in forums is kittening hilarious. Yes, do go on and show why peoplw addressing one another formally with manners and respect is not a good way of doing things.

God help these savages.

Winters Ascension The White Guardian
Sophia Theos Beast Master
[Fissure of Woe]

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: Greenfox.8023

Greenfox.8023

Now that we have moved our home, we must follow the rules here at Kaineng. I’ll get the message across to everyone that we are no longer in SBI so we should be more careful about typing Korean in map chat.

This is an English-only SoS officer welcoming WM to the server. I just wanted to clarify to make sure we don’t get or give the wrong impression.

Just to be clear, Chaster coordinates attacks and activities in map/team chat in Chinese all the time – if you’ve been in WvW with him, I’m sure you’ve seen it. Lots of people in SoS and elsewhere on the server are Chinese-only speakers, much like the Korean-only folks in your guild. But he gives the same instructions in both Chinese and English so all of us can understand.

I believe that’s all he’s asking of WM, that important information or instructions are given in English as well – it helps us all coordinate and take over the world (-vs-world) while working together. People on our side would be happy to translate your information into Chinese for those who need it, just as you’d translate to Korean for your guys and gals.

And personally, I’m glad to have another butt-kicking guild taking over the world (-vs-world) while I sleep, making defense that much easier during the day. Welcome again!

Greenfox
- Soul of SoS – SoS Guilds -
— Kaineng Server —

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: Dhampyr.2104

Dhampyr.2104

We’ll get things sorted out fast so this won’t become an issue to other Kaineng members.

I, for one, am very impressed with WM’s presence so far. Had a WM commander in WvW earlier, and he/she fit right in I think (just full of awesomeness).

Also, posts like this one really make me look forward to working with WM in the future – although I speak some Korean, I’m definitely better at English! ^.^

Very pleased with you guys. Welcome aboard, and I’m really glad you decided to make Kaineng your home.

Eve Morrow, Mesmer, Eve Flamescythe, Ele
Tarnished Coast

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Sorry for the late reply. I got informed that this thread existed by one of my guild mates. I am an English speaking officer (and Korean). And I am fully aware of where all your concerns as we have been through a similar problem while at SBI a long time ago. As people have already mentioned most of our Korean members do not speak English very well and find it easy to just communicate in Korean. When we were in SBI, we used to map chat in WvW for faster communication with other Korean guilds. We also added translations if needed. But we sometimes didn’t feel like we needed to when it was strictly directed to another Korean commander/members.

Thanks for your reply. And yes, I understand why sometimes you guys would use Korean over map/team chat in WvW - As I do Chinese over map/team chat myself as well, it’s all good

This letter was mostly focused for PvE aspect though, lol, but I guess it’ll work too.

So yeah, glad this is sorted out. Welcome to Kaineng

Please inform me directly if you have encounter any problems with any of my SoS members, as I’m the only authority at the moment over my 900 minions xD

PS: This is not like a "rule", it’s more like simple respect of other cultures, and I believe this simple language respect is not too much to ask. After all, this is still an American Title.

(edited by Chaster Sharpshooter.3640)

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

sheldon.3825

Dear WM.

i know right!

I bet half of Yak’s Bend would take a class on how to speak Korean or whatever if they would transfer there.

We can even declare Korean the official language of Yak’s Bend.

lol

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

zortek.9607

Sorry for the late reply. I got informed that this thread existed by one of my guild mates. [/snip]

[/snip]

Please inform me directly if you have encounter any problems with any of my SoS members, as I’m the only authority at the moment over my 900 minions xD

PS: This is not like a “rule”, it’s more like simple respect of other cultures, and I believe this simple language respect is not too much to ask.[/snip]

And how has your simple respect approach been working out?

Rumor has it that the honeymoon is over. Rumor has it that [WM] has not been seen in WvW recently (only in sPvP and PvE). I suspect that some supplication is necessary.

If ever there was a time to strike, CD and YB should be cross-server grouping and in full on rally right now! Looks like mom and dad are having a spat.

(edited by zortek.9607)

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: StormWolf.7645

StormWolf.7645

And how has your simple respect approach been working out?

Rumor has it that the honeymoon is over. Rumor has it that [WM] has not been seen in WvW recently (only in sPvP and PvE). I suspect that some supplication is necessary.

If ever there was a time to strike, CD and YB should be cross-server grouping and in full on rally right now! Looks like mom and dad are having a spat.

So funny note…was gonna wait till the end of the week…but since you pointed it out: WM has been dealing with silly issues so hasn’t been around much lately. I assume everyone has enjoyed watching how horribly we’ve done this week without them on in force.

…Oh right. We’re still 600+…I guess Kaineng IS comprised of more than just WM…

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: Haldunius.7864

Haldunius.7864

Yeah, don’t forget about all the guilds that joined for the easy victories.

FA Mesmo – [VK]
Last words – “I’m going to jump off this cliff
and pull all those guys down cuz they’ll die.”

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

I could have swore that I saw at least 20 WM in wvw yesterday. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

They are probably practising new tactics somewhere. WvW is queued so its hard to get a group together there. And we are going 600+ almost constantly anyways so they might as well take it easy.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

SoS Guild's Letter to WM

in WvW

Posted by: Baladir.2736

Baladir.2736

WM is why all those guilds went to Kaineng in the first place, they wanted oceanic players to compete at the high tier levels. A great deal came from WMs former server SBI actually. Right now Kaineng is doing great against servers with no oceanic players because they are loaded to the brim with Wvw players who flooded the server before the transfer cutoff. Rather ironic that WM is not really involved. Will be interesting to see what happens next. And all those transfers hoping for WMs assistance. Shame.