SoS is not full, Fix populations

in WvW

Posted by: SlowFiveOhh.2359

SlowFiveOhh.2359

Na, SoS has plenty of people. They’re just 99% bad pugs and the ‘council’ needs to go.

in WvW

Posted by: Chorazin.4107

Chorazin.4107

Wait until OCX rolls around, then you will see where the SoS population comes from. I played on SoS for a long time, the NA has always been relatively small compared to other servers.

Chorazin
[lion]~ riperonis
[tRex]

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

Full means you have enough people for two maps.

The real problem is that you are playing against other full servers that have enough people for 3-4 maps.

It’s been that way for months.

in WvW

Posted by: BOA smid.1783

BOA smid.1783

Our OCX isn’t as strong as it used to be. Yes, we still have people during that timezone just like any server has people on at various times. It’s not the powerhouse it used to be. I know we have smaller guilds that run during that time zone but gone (for now at least) are the days of TS/BEAR/TF.

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

All SOS needs is a few good pugmanders on TS or more open minded guilds that can head a pug group about once a week or so and rotate on different days. Private guild runs only get you so far and alienate people.

I see a lot of SOS pugs lately just zone in to do dailies and get out because of this, have a tag to follow and win some fights with, stay longer, don’t have one, leave. Its that simple when you’re a pug. I include myself in this category, since my work schedule picked up massively and became irratic, I just can’t make regular runs anymore, I zone in if there is someone to run on/with, I hop on TS and do so, if not, am out. And we have plenty other players like myself.

I do understand pugmanding frustrations, burn out, etc. been there done that myself, but for SOS to stop having that outnumbered buff, people actually need some leads to stay with instead of just hopping in for 15-30 minutes at a time. Otherwise will be like that permamently.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Perhaps the great driver Bilbo needs to remember his BMS guild roots on Kaineng long ago.

BMS rules:
Rule One: Don’t die
Rule Two: Don’t die
Rule Three: There is no retreating, fight.

Only then will SoS start wrecking again.

in WvW

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

SoS OCX is still far stronger than anything else in the tier. That’s the reason it always has an outmatched NA.

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

SoS has been a revolving door for NA for over 2 years, despite having strong overnight coverage for the most part. That’s not Anet’s fault, but partly SoS’s for paying to bring in the “wrong” type of guilds to populate their NA time.

A lot of other servers in worse shape that SoS at the moment.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Gonna step in and add my two cents on the matter since I’m currently on SoS.

I’ve been on nearly a dozen servers between EU and NA so I’ve fought or been on every server (NA) at least once and have experienced every tier.

SoS, although not as highly populated as some of the offending servers, also greatly lacks organization. It’s a server that relies heavily on the definition of zerging and likely only maintains their place in the current tier thanks to what coverage they can manage.

There is a squad that everyone is invited to, very few people on TS, very few organized guilds running, a single commander that’s tagged basically 24/7 and defends all maps and PUG commanders that fight open field maybe 10% of the time.

Although the community on SoS is pretty welcoming, it is not a skilled server and it suffers in the tier that it’s in because of it. The only time I see SoS winning fights is when numbers are on their side, siege is on their side or they just simply get lucky in the chaos of battle.

Coming from Darkhaven, the server I was on the longest, SoS is not even close to dead or a “ghost town.” Darkhaven was doing fine before the world links but because they got paired with a very low population server versus servers that DH had trouble with alone, everything just kind of went down hill from there. Think of it like 6 people playing football, each of these people get a partner. There are 5 grown men and one child. DH gets paired with the child and subsequently gets destroyed because their partner simply doesn’t have enough presence.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trash talking FC or SoS. I like both of the servers and I enjoyed my time on them both. They both have/had great communities, these are just the conclusions I’ve made after my experience on various servers.

SoS is definitely under-manned but they are not dead or even close to it and more players wouldn’t do much to help SoS’s near total lack of discipline.

Prior to moving to SoS, I was on Fort Aspenwood. That server has at least one commander at nearly any given hour, requires TS to join squads, runs multiple separate squads and often has havoc guilds/roamers. It’s really not much of a wonder that FA destroys SoS so often, they are simply more serious about WvW.

Now that I’ve said all that, SoS has been a decent community. I enjoy the people and I’m not having the worst time I’ve had. I won’t be staying, just because I take WvW more seriously than the majority of SoS does, but I won’t regret my time here either.

Just be glad that you can go in to WvW at most hours to find at least a few small groups here and there and that there’s a commander who’s dedicated enough to be tagged for hours and hours at a time. I seriously think SoS might fall apart if that one person left/stopped playing and that really says something about the community.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

Don’t play dumb. SoS is a host server. Host servers were locked so that people would transfer to guest servers which is GoM in your case.

You even just had a large guild (Sekz) transfer to GoM to bolster your numbers.

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

From the PoV of someone that’s regularly matched up against SoS, I have to agree with what SpellOfIniquity said.
Zerging pretty much seems to be your alls go to strategy and when you start running into equal numbers and losing fights your people log off pretty quick. By the time NA prime hits you all end up fielding less numbers but the bulk of your server still runs in 1 group which doesn’t stand much of a chance at that point.

Your night crew is even stranger. I just logged off (played hooky from work lol) and I must have run into at least 8 different people on your home bl that myself and another roamer kept killing in groups of 2 or 3. After 1 fight with each group they wouldn’t face us again. We sat at north camp for 5 minutes hoping for a fight while you all sat there peeking out from behind the gate.

I know your night crew is a bit more PPT focused than most but on every server I’ve been on if we had all the defenders hiding from 2 roamers and just backcapping, there would be people raging in chat about how we needed to fight and then ragequitting since no one would.

I suggest working on getting some small havoc groups going so we have more to worry about than your 1 blob. The only ones I really ever run into are from GoM and you all won’t be linked with them forever.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Vova.2640

Vova.2640

Its actually funny. Aside from reset night, every other NA time we have the outnumbered buff in EBG lol. I think ocx is the only time we dont have that buff.
Its sad that this happens… this sort of unbalance only creates more unbalance.
I am personally looking to transfer out of SoS soon just because its becoming old getting rolled by blobs every time im EBG. At least I dont have to repair my armors though huh.

Look at how effective someone is in a full Soldiers set.
Look at how effective someone is in a full Dire set.
Nice balance.

in WvW

Posted by: Sylvyn.4750

Sylvyn.4750

Perhaps the great driver Bilbo needs to remember his BMS guild roots on Kaineng long ago.

BMS rules:
Rule One: Don’t die
Rule Two: Don’t die
Rule Three: There is no retreating, fight.

Only then will SoS start wrecking again.

Oh, no, he hasn’t forgotten…our ears bleed in TS when we break the above rules…he just has too many pug-scrubs like me to herd around, not the trained fighting force he’s probably used to.

Seems Bilbo and the other usual commanders have been on less lately, though. However, big thanks go out to the ones I’ve run with lately in my PST primetime that have stepped up to the plate…Stormcrow, Selene and Elune.

We seem to keep getting SBI and either Mag or FA, so pretty much the same matchups for the last month or more. During my primetime at least, the other servers always seem to have bigger blobs and we’re having to accomplish more offense/defense with fewer numbers. Having come from a fairly quiet GoM, there is still more activity now than I was used to, though.

/cheers

in WvW

Posted by: Synosius.9876

Synosius.9876

posts like this are announcing to the world… if you were considering transferring to SoS, you probably shouldnt.

whats anet gonna do, put a gun to our heads and force us into wvw? you gotta make your server a place where ppl want to play. thx for the cringe warning.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

There is a squad that everyone is invited to, very few people on TS, very few organized guilds running, a single commander that’s tagged basically 24/7 and defends all maps

That sounds familiar.

In the past, I have always wondered people on my end often cry about the difficulty of the matchup and then at the same time proceed to PPT as furiously as possible via backcapping once Mag/FA goes to sleep, then wondering why the same matchups happens next week. But it seems to be a problem elsewhere as well. It just seems like a lot of stress, and oftentimes this stress gets projected on others, whether they want it or not

Then again, with only 4 tiers left, there is really nowhere to go.

Welcome to the limbo that is t3. But all this linking is just a beta, and people can see the results.

Never mind, thread is moot: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/PSA-NA-Servers-have-opened-up

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I tried to discuss some of what I’ve said here last night in chat with SoS but they wouldn’t have any of it. It is very clearly a casual server.

As someone who’s never in a guild and primarily scouts or roams, I totally understand why people don’t want to use TS and why they just want to have fun. It is a game after all and fun is important. But at the same time, these same people are upset that their server is always losing, but they’re not taking any steps to change it. You can’t be casual and still be the best, you know?

Oh well. I told them what I thought and although I don’t think I’m liked because of it, at least they didn’t tear me apart either. Like I said, it’s a good community. It just needs a stronger core because 75% of the players are PPT’ers who can’t/won’t use TS and don’t pay attention when it’s necessary in a fight.

in WvW

Sylvyn.4750

I tried to discuss some of what I’ve said here last night in chat with SoS but they wouldn’t have any of it. It is very clearly a casual server.

As someone who’s never in a guild and primarily scouts or roams, I totally understand why people don’t want to use TS and why they just want to have fun. It is a game after all and fun is important. But at the same time, these same people are upset that their server is always losing, but they’re not taking any steps to change it. You can’t be casual and still be the best, you know?

Oh well. I told them what I thought and although I don’t think I’m liked because of it, at least they didn’t tear me apart either. Like I said, it’s a good community. It just needs a stronger core because 75% of the players are PPT’ers who can’t/won’t use TS and don’t pay attention when it’s necessary in a fight.

I must have missed the time frame or the map you were on when this was discussed. I tend to agree, though, there are a lot more casual players, it seems. However, if you do a map call for various things, you do tend to get a bunch of solo roamers coming out of the woodwork to help get the job done. The lack of organization, though, contributes nothing against fairly equal numbers of organized enemies.

in WvW

Posted by: fost.9167

fost.9167

I run on maguuma OCX times, where SBI and SOS blob us out usually. I don’t necessarily agree your population is low or high, but from where I see it it seems more evenly balanced across timezones.

Last reset I think we only had 1x pin on all borderlands, i think it was just a quiet weekend and hope it picks up.

Open all the servers!

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Given all servers except TC and BG have opened why is this thread still a thing?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Sylvyn.4750

Given all servers except TC and BG have opened why is this thread still a thing?

That’s a big unknown as far as how that will help a T3 or T4 paired server. I know at least one guild transferring OFF of SoS because of wanting to step up their game and hook up with other guilds doing the same. Time will tell…

in WvW

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

That’s a big unknown as far as how that will help a T3 or T4 paired server. I know at least one guild transferring OFF of SoS because of wanting to step up their game and hook up with other guilds doing the same. Time will tell…

Such is the process that will slowly kill WvW.
The population decreased dramatically so they had to cut it to 4 tiers.
Soon enough, we will only have population that can sustain 3 tiers, 2 tiers, 1 tier…..0 tier.

in WvW

Posted by: Jente.1479

Jente.1479

“Coming from Darkhaven, the server I was on the longest, SoS is not even close to dead or a “ghost town.” Darkhaven was doing fine before the world links but because they got paired with a very low population server versus servers that DH had trouble with alone, everything just kind of went down hill from there. Think of it like 6 people playing football, each of these people get a partner. There are 5 grown men and one child. DH gets paired with the child and subsequently gets destroyed because their partner simply doesn’t have enough presence.”

You know, the irony to this is, I tried to follow a DH commander. I didn’t join squad, because we are the subpar server, I just tried to follow the mindless killing blob. And you know what happened? The commander stopped the Zerg in the middle of heading somewhere to say “wait? We have an FC person with us? Ewwwww! Dang it! Now we can not be zerghaven”. Then random people starting telling me to leave. So, I map hopped and saw a keep we had was under attack. But you know what? I wasn’t getting anything out of defending it, or calling for backup. Maybe the above situation could be why FC doesn’t have much of a presence?!

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

“Coming from Darkhaven, the server I was on the longest, SoS is not even close to dead or a “ghost town.” Darkhaven was doing fine before the world links but because they got paired with a very low population server versus servers that DH had trouble with alone, everything just kind of went down hill from there. Think of it like 6 people playing football, each of these people get a partner. There are 5 grown men and one child. DH gets paired with the child and subsequently gets destroyed because their partner simply doesn’t have enough presence.”

You know, the irony to this is, I tried to follow a DH commander. I didn’t join squad, because we are the subpar server, I just tried to follow the mindless killing blob. And you know what happened? The commander stopped the Zerg in the middle of heading somewhere to say “wait? We have an FC person with us? Ewwwww! Dang it! Now we can not be zerghaven”. Then random people starting telling me to leave. So, I map hopped and saw a keep we had was under attack. But you know what? I wasn’t getting anything out of defending it, or calling for backup. Maybe the above situation could be why FC doesn’t have much of a presence?!

Don’t hate on me. I wasn’t around during the initial server merging so I didn’t get to welcome all of the FC community. It wasn’t until about a month down the road that I got to say hi to everyone.

I had heard that DH was being rude to the FC’s and I don’t know why. But it doesn’t concern me much anymore because all the people I cared about on DH have moved to different servers. That’s why I left. It’s the people that make the server, not the name. No sense staying where my friends aren’t.

I’m sorry that you were treated that way. Had I been around for it, I’m sure I’d have tried to redeem the idiocy of the others.

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

I must have missed the time frame or the map you were on when this was discussed. I tend to agree, though, there are a lot more casual players, it seems. However, if you do a map call for various things, you do tend to get a bunch of solo roamers coming out of the woodwork to help get the job done. The lack of organization, though, contributes nothing against fairly equal numbers of organized enemies.

Playing against mag/fa/sbi alot, they all have their fair share of casuals/scrubs/newbies/pvers. We just don’t have enough fight guild presence to match what mag/fa can bring a lot of the time. Heavy sustain + boon share + organization should make any group of randoms look like scrubs.

I really only see two main fight guilds and maybe a couple roaming for SOS/Gom. They all wreck face though. If we had 2 or 3 more guilds like them then the “all casuals” thing wouldn’t be as noticeable.

in WvW

Sylvyn.4750

Playing against mag/fa/sbi alot, they all have their fair share of casuals/scrubs/newbies/pvers. We just don’t have enough fight guild presence to match what mag/fa can bring a lot of the time. Heavy sustain + boon share + organization should make any group of randoms look like scrubs.

I really only see two main fight guilds and maybe a couple roaming for SOS/Gom. They all wreck face though. If we had 2 or 3 more guilds like them then the “all casuals” thing wouldn’t be as noticeable.

True, and with summer vacation going on, things might look more hit/miss for a while…

in WvW

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

When you have been multiple wins in a row in T1 then dropped. Then seen a never ending saga of if we win too few matches ’guilds leave"….. if we win too easily many guilds leave, then people stop trying as hard.

Over the years SoS has become a much more casual server than the one I started on at Launch. I do tend to agree with Spellofiniquity’s assessment “currently”.

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

in WvW

Posted by: BOA smid.1783

BOA smid.1783

SoS has a good community and we are currently working on ways to improve things. I appreciate the feedback here. I would like to remind everyone that SoS as a server has struggled in part to being locked by the previous population calculations and then when we finally did open we were stuck in a miserable match-up that people were trying to escape at all costs. We as a server lost a lot of our more hardcore population because we could not recruit to be competitive and people left to look for other things /playstyles. It is what it is. The server has a lot of new players/new to WvW players and we are putting things in place to help them learn WvW in a different capacity then casual all the time as much as we can. So please don’t push the server aside based on “current impressions.” Yes, we have things that need work and we are well aware of that. Yes, we are starting to make moves to improve what we can. The community is still strong and we’re hoping to strengthen it.