Some consolidated WvW Issues/Suggestions

in WvW

Posted by: Idus Martiae.7804

Idus Martiae.7804

After going through a lot of the posts here, and from my own experience, I’d like to offer up some suggestions and major issues that I think need to be addressed. Please do not turn this thread into a rant fest. Add some solid fact based suggestions or issues if you have them, but try to avoid subjective issues or opinions. Hopefully this will help the devs sort out real game issues from more obtuse issues.

1. Culling and invisible mobs

Problem:- Mobs of players spawn around you all at once, with no advance warning they are coming.

Solution: Obviously there are limits on what the server and our clients can render, so it’s a tough nut to crack. I did see a suggestion that if at least player tags were rendered, we would know something is headed our way, and I would think that should be easier on processor resources, although I could be wrong? Any other ideas from knowledgeable people about what visual queue we could get that wouldn’t be resource heavy? What about an audio queue to indicate the sound of approaching troupes or something?

2. Server populations & queues

Problem:- Some servers have constant huge populations online and are rolling those with lesser numbers. This is mostly a player issue as you can’t force people onto low-pop servers and that’s not an issue I wanted to address here. However, there seems to be a queue issue in these cases. How does one server get twice as many people online playing, and yet I still have to queue for an hour to get into a map? ALos, is there a separate queue for each map, or 1 shared queue? I’ve been trying to queue for all 4 maps at once as I will play on any I can get in, but I notice the last one I queue for is usually the one that comes up.

Solution:- Something for the devs to investigate, as we can’t solve it. Queue lengths and server populations on a map seem to need investigation, as lower population servers in a map should have no queue time I would think. If there is 1 common queue for all WvW maps, I would like to see separate queues for each one, and then then you do get in to any map, pop you from the other queues until you requeue again.

3. Retaliation & Siege

Problem:- Retaliation, if co-ordinated across several people can be kept up almost permanently, and destroys arrow carts very quickly, rendering them almost useless.

Solution:- I know it has already been stated this may be changed to not effect siege. I would just like to re-iterate this is an important change that needs to be done to ensure siege and defense remains viable. I’d also like to consider the long term effect of retaliation on the meta-game, to ensure it doesn’t become a necessity to be competitive.

4. Spawn camping and supply

Problem:- Larger forces owning maps can spawn camp players with multiple siege engines, rendering the competition for the map useless.

Solution:- I thought in Beta we used to get a buff near our spawn point, didn’t we? Also, I would think that spawn points should also be supply camps so incoming forces can load up and if necessary retaliate against spawn campers like this. If necessary, make that supply usable only within the spawn surround. If you aren’t given a home-ground advantage to get out of your camp, then this could become an increasing problem on outmatches servers. Speaking of which…

TBC – message length exceeded

in WvW

Posted by: Idus Martiae.7804

Idus Martiae.7804

continued from above

5. The Outmanned and Orb of Power buffs

Problem: – Outmanned give bonus XP, which is useless if you are outmanned to the point you can’t earn any XP. The Orb of Power buff rewards powerful servers by granting them even more power. While this is a great incentive to capture these, it acts like a reverse handicap.

Solution:- Many have suggested it, and I don’t know what the cons are, but swapping the outmanned and orb of power buffs seems appropriate.

6. Line of Sight

Problem:- While defending a wall (in my case as a Grenadier with extended range), I can’t attack most of the time as I don’t have “line of sight” to the ground below due to the little edges on top of the walls. I have to jump up and stand virtually in space to be able to lob my grenades on the ground below. Meanwhile, the attackers below can put their AoE circles 3/4 or more of the way across the top of the wall so I can’t even get close to the edge to throw my grenades, and even worse, a ranger is shooting me through those very same ledges that I can’t see though, and which my grenades will explode upon, on the rare occasions I can get line of sight.

Solution:- I don’t care which way it goes, but it should be the same for all range/AoE if they can hit me with the same range weapon, I should also be able to hit them. Currently it seems the attacker have about a 300 range advantage over defenders.

7. Particle Effects & ground targetting

Problem:- One again as a Grenadier, but I’m sure other AoE skills have the same problem, a lot of the time in big battles, I have no idea where my targets are as I can’t see for particle effects. This means I just end up wildly spamming and hoping I’m hitting somewhere where there are enemies.

Solution:- I know this was discussed a lot in beta, but I’m not sure if any solutions same out of it. Could we have a slider to tone down particle effects if we want would be my first thought?

OK those are the main ones I’ve seen personally or had most complaints on, with what I hope are some meaningful answers. If anyone else has some that I missed, please list here, but stick to the facts.

Hope I’ve got everything right and that this helps. Thanks.

in WvW

Posted by: Gomly.6128

Gomly.6128

As far as i’m aware you can only queue for one map at a time which is why the last one you queue for is the one that pops.

in WvW

Posted by: willwill.9318

willwill.9318

How about, a pvp rank system based on kills and a point system for kills based on the players rank that you killed?

www.the-darkhand.com <DDH>