Something is WRONG

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

It’s quite simple:

A PR takes care of public relations by trying to simply inform the WvW community of Arenanet’s projects in the most ‘’omg look at how much we’re doing’’ way possible.

A coordinator relates the dev’s views on main WvW issues and the community’s views on the same issues. I feel that the WvW team is highly unaware of what we ACTUALLY want, and that’s what we expect from you, Devon, I could care less if I see results but I’d like to know that the game is headed in a direction which WE want, and I simply don’t feel that the devs are doing it right. Contrarily to most, I don’t want to see deadlines, I just want the changes to reflect what the WvW community wants, and that starts with you actually TELLING your team and COMMUNICATING, asking for CLARIFICATIONS from the community, rather then decide everything by yourselves (the devs). THAT is the job of a coordinator. What we are seeing; supply mastery and trebuchet mastery, and simply STATING things without really COMMUICATING back and forth with the community, is what PR is.

You’re inflated sense of self-worth is borderline amusing. Also the way you assume a vocal minority of forum posters speak for everyone, absolutely adorable. Now hush while I bask in this warm glow.

By the way… does anyone else recall a different game where the devs have been as communicative as this one? I can’t. Wah, they didn’t say what I demanded them to say. Please.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Convenant.7092

Convenant.7092

It’s quite simple:

A PR takes care of public relations by trying to simply inform the WvW community of Arenanet’s projects in the most ‘’omg look at how much we’re doing’’ way possible.

A coordinator relates the dev’s views on main WvW issues and the community’s views on the same issues. I feel that the WvW team is highly unaware of what we ACTUALLY want, and that’s what we expect from you, Devon, I could care less if I see results but I’d like to know that the game is headed in a direction which WE want, and I simply don’t feel that the devs are doing it right. Contrarily to most, I don’t want to see deadlines, I just want the changes to reflect what the WvW community wants, and that starts with you actually TELLING your team and COMMUNICATING, asking for CLARIFICATIONS from the community, rather then decide everything by yourselves (the devs). THAT is the job of a coordinator. What we are seeing; supply mastery and trebuchet mastery, and simply STATING things without really COMMUICATING back and forth with the community, is what PR is.

You’re inflated sense of self-worth is borderline amusing. Also the way you assume a vocal minority of forum posters speak for everyone, absolutely adorable. Now hush while I bask in this warm glow.

By the way… does anyone else recall a different game where the devs have been as communicative as this one? I can’t. Wah, they didn’t say what I demanded them to say. Please.

Your attempt to sound superior all the while failing basic grammar is laughable.

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: MegaManExpert.8413

MegaManExpert.8413

This thread has basically turned into a “Who is right?” type of thread with a few parties who are trying to express there view. We have the Customers Vs. Software Developers Vs. Marketing, each with valid views on what they want to see in WvW. One group calls disconnected with customers while the other claims they have listen to there customers and delivered meaningful content.

So lets try to work together here since there is a lot of peoples interests here and not just one persons (I would love an airship battle that you need to jump between for different ships) ideal WvW scenario. Unlike normal software development, game development requires a lot more care for designing then say a basic notepad application.

So let discuss some WvW map development:
Unlike sPvP, WvW maps need to be carefully though out for “Three” sides as to two sides since it can’t be a simple mirror flip of one side. sPvP maps are also rather small, smaller then most instanced maps, while WvW maps need to hold 200+ people. The WvW maps are meant to be a healthy balance of PvP and PvE, thus the design choice to include them for map completions. Large maps take time to build, polish, play test, test, and release all of which meets or exceeds the current map quality. Takes about 4 months to develop a sPvP map which is most likely a fourth the size of a WvW map.

WvW progression:
There where no plans for progression in WvW since it was to piggyback PvE progression. This was not to be the case since a lot of PvE progression had to be done outside of WvW (Dungons and Weapon skins), so the developers had to come up with a solution that is uniquely for WvW progression that a lot of people can get behind and feel that there time spent is worth it. So they came up with the rank system that gave a feeling of progression, yet reward time spent there. Rank abilities show a clear path of progression in WvW but needs to be done in a way to minimize power creep, and foster inventive game play.

Outnumber/Orb:
The original orb created a snowball effect that made the strong even stronger (Became harder and harder as one side gather more orbs) and one person using a third party tool can really turn the tide of the whole match. I believe this was the reason why it was removed in the first place. As for the outnumbered buff, it’s design is to be an enticement to get more people on the map, not to overpower people. How angry would you be if your 40-50 person group was repelled by 5 people on a map because they got over the top buffs for being outnumber? Use the buff as a reason to get people on the map.

There is a lot of factors here that need to be considered and of course the viability of being as open as the WvW team can. The team that works on WvW DOES in fact play WvW, they do in fact read the forums, and they are trying to be a transparent as they can without falling into any traps(missed deadline, difficult mechanics, doomsday…), on top of short deadlines and tight resources. Your update will come, just like the removal of culling, just not today…

Attachments:

Proud Commander for Isle of Janthar
Laspo Yorick – Mesmer
Samson Longshanks – Warrior

(edited by MegaManExpert.8413)

Something is WRONG

in WvW

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Since this thread has drifted widely off topic, was barely on topic for this forum to begin with and contains a lot of unfair an unnecessary bashing of the WvW team, I’ll be shutting it down now.