Spies, Commander Badges and You

in WvW

Posted by: Limulus.4380

Limulus.4380

Since GW2 does not have a monthly fee, you can enter WvW at low level, and have multiple accounts for $60 a pop, what is to stop someone from planting spy alts on the opposing servers? Nothing.

I have enough computers, as do many other gamers, to do this. I could probably even setup a website with a live webcam of all 3 teams.

This is what happens when you don’t have random WvW servers.

As for the Commander badges, they just make it easier for the alt account spies to see your zergs and let the other servers know over voice.

Alt spies also serve another purpose, they can help you to target a treb outside of viewing distance.

Is this working as intended? If so, I’ll buy at least one other account to use as a spy. If you don’t think other people are doing this, you probably haven’t played much WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Arasuki.6094

Arasuki.6094

conspiring to abuse game functions. noted.

[DU]Arasuki – Ranger
Down Under – Stormbluff Isle

in WvW

Posted by: Limulus.4380

Limulus.4380

conspiring to abuse game functions. noted.

It’s already happening. I see it every day in WvW. The real question should be, is Anet going to stop it or can everyone join in on this?

in WvW

Posted by: Nabarue.3290

Nabarue.3290

If someone is really doing this (and I’m not deluding myself, I know it happens), then they are sad indeed. I will say this though: it’s a lot like war, your enemy WILL gain intel on you, one way or another, so it just adds yet another dimension to WvW, and something different to overcome. Is it irritating though? Yup.

Sir Sprocket the Engi/ Kyoryu Silver the Ele
And my Alter-Ego- Kyoryu Gold, Mesmer, Thundering Hero, wielder of the Legendary Meteorlogicus!

in WvW

Posted by: fractalKinesis.8569

fractalKinesis.8569

The rest of us have morals.

Xiro, High Five Warriors [HFW], Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: jojojoon.8607

jojojoon.8607

The difference is that in real wars, when spies get caught, there are severe consequences (usually death). However, in gw2, even when we find out who the spy is, what can we do? Account doesn’t get banned… Can’t boot them off of the server… They can stand in front of you and admit they’re a spy and there’s nothing you can do…

in WvW

Posted by: Trueshots.9456

Trueshots.9456

I love the talk about spies in MMO pvp…..it just makes me laugh irl. I wish someone was spying on me, so they would come fight instead of running…

~Poison Caltrop~
I apologize, If you didn’t outnumber me, it wasn’t a fair fight

in WvW

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Wait, people were assuming the enemy didn’t know where they were and what they were doing there? How quaint.

in WvW

Posted by: zbrkesbr.4173

zbrkesbr.4173

I love the talk about spies in MMO pvp…..it just makes me laugh irl. I wish someone was spying on me, so they would come fight instead of running…

I wish you’ve played EvE online long enough to not laugh about spies/metagaming in MMOs.

War doesn’t determine who is right, only who is left.

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

Only way to fight metagaming it is to keep the rewards (World bonuses, titles) low enough.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: Aarku.3105

Aarku.3105

In SWG we used to have player owned towns, with defenses up from enemy guilds/faction.

Occasionally we would notice the enemy would be attacking in the right places at the right time, so we knew we had a spy in our guild and it would take a fair bit of investigating to figure out who it was.

I personally loved it, it added that extra risk/danger feeling to the game (the “guildmate” next to you may in fact be a backstabbing traitor).

I’d say the best way to counter spies would be to make a WvW guild and monitor the enemies behaviour, if you notice they seem to be 1 step ahead of you all the time then start searching for that spy in your guild.

in WvW

Posted by: NeedsFoodBadly.2671

NeedsFoodBadly.2671

I’ll buy at least one other account to use as a spy. If you don’t think other people are doing this, you probably haven’t played much WvW.

Convincing argument. “Someone else is doing it, so I’ll uh…do it too.”

If you’re really have so little life that you’re buying multiple accounts to get a barely piddling “leg up” on the competition then…have at it.

Remember: Don’t Shoot Food!

in WvW

Posted by: NullMad.4370

NullMad.4370

Ninja teams of 5-6 people, do not announce their intent until it’s too late for attackers to react, nor do they spend a lot of time running with com badges on. Following enemy zerg is easy enough. I play on really bad WvWvW server and we still get regular updates on where enemy zerg is and its size from anyone with a /team chat and a pair of eyes.
The only problem is sabotage (like burning tower and keep supply), so I personally don’t see this as a big issue.

in WvW

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

I wish you’ve played EvE online long enough to not laugh about spies/metagaming in MMOs.

THIS. My guildies who’d never touched Eve thought I was mentally challenged when I started mentioning all the possible ways things could go.

Two questions that keep popping up in my mind …

1) Which server are the Goons on.
2) Saw a post by someone from Pandemic Legion, kept trying to cloak my stealth bomber XD

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

in WvW

Posted by: Gallant.3259

Gallant.3259

WTF? Goonswarm? WHERE?

in WvW

MarzAttakz.9608

in WvW

Posted by: Iambeastx.6805

Iambeastx.6805

Yup, come play eve online and see how small your issues with spies in Gw2 really are.

Also hi from Pandemic Legion! (recruiting on Sfr)

All my life i wanted to be someone,
now i realise i should have been more specific.

in WvW

Posted by: Jerkops.2796

Jerkops.2796

That was posted before the game was even released, and it was fake.

in WvW

MarzAttakz.9608

So no GOONS? but we got PL, now that is a score! Unless Jerkops is a Goon agent of course… hmmm has local gone up? Check check, FC I smell a rat XD. Gawd I miss Eve Paranoia.

Lam please PM me a recruitment link mate.

in WvW

Posted by: Gillysan.1962

Gillysan.1962

The paranoia on EVE is so thick it takes a long time to make friends and even then….2 years later, misappropriated corporation resources raided and go missing. Beware <.< who you call friend >.>