Stealth Traps

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: afk.8230

afk.8230

As a higher skilled thief (at least I fancy myself as one.) I couldn’t help but notice the current meta vs a thief just consists of throwing down a stealth trap, open field, even if you outnumber the thief 5 to 1. In principal i’ve got no real issue with a stealth trap other than the 30 seconds of denying me my classes basic gameplay mechanic (imagine a trap that just denies necros deathshroud for no compelling reason). It seems there would be huge outrage if any other class had a trap that someone could lay 2 of with their current supply that essentially just amounts to a ‘lay trap & win’.

A few ideas to make this less of a bad deal for everyone is;

make stealth trap visible.

make reveal a real condition to be cleansed.

make the stealth trap a build site that requires 30 supply to complete, thereby allowing you to notice it being built & requiring coordination to deploy.

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

If you’re having problems with stealth traps you might not be as good a thief as you think you are…..

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

Stealth Disruptor Traps are only needed because of Stealth stacking. Both are bad for the game and should be removed.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

make the stealth trap a build site that requires 30 supply to complete, thereby allowing you to notice it being built & requiring coordination to deploy.

Why don’t you just ask them to plant a big fat [STOP] sign where the trap is, much simpler.

There wouldn’t be a need for stealth traps if stealth wasn’t so broken in design.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Why don’t you just ask them to plant a big fat [STOP] sign where the trap is, much simpler.

There wouldn’t be a need for stealth traps if stealth wasn’t so broken in design.

I kinda feel like seeing someone stop mid fight to hammer the ground for 4 seconds is basically a stop sign already lol

LGN

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

couldnt give a rats kitten about stealth traps cus i barely ever stealth on thief anyway

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Stealth traps are fun because I have often see them lay it down and intentionally trigger it to waste their resources. A shortbow can teleport and evade around enough after you trigger it to sustain for the 30 seconds required.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

People actually use stealth traps?! To the point where OP cant even play?!?!

Sometimes I wonder if it’s just my server that’s kittened. I mean it’s not just traps, it’s all deployables. I take an enemy T1 tower and it’s got 4 ACs (2 sups), 2 trebs and 1 cata. Thats more siege than our T3 garri has and I’m like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat…

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

couldnt give a rats kitten about stealth traps cus i barely ever stealth on thief anyway

How about a Stealth Disruptor Trap also prevents evasion for 30 seconds? :P

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

How about a Stealth Disruptor Trap also prevents evasion for 30 seconds? :P

So some kind of evade disruptor trap?

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Anvil.9230

Anvil.9230

I do not think it’s a good solution to call for a modification of the rules of the game (nerf and so on) each time someone meet an ingame difficulty to manage an opponent…

Different solutions exist, from competencies to Tools as the stealh disruptor.
In WvW, a good solution is also to avoid the fight or to move with one or two mates…specialy if the players confronted to that kind of thief play zerg characters (isolated, they are the favorite prey of that kind of thief).

So, even with my guardian in a zerg configuration, they are not a big issue: I avoid them.
With my own roaming characters, it’s balanced: sometime they win, sometime I kill them (most of the case because I choose my fights): Nothing anormal.

Do not also forget that that kind of thief is not very interesting for their team has finally they do not earn a lot of point for their server.

(edited by Anvil.9230)

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

Stealth traps were introduced to deal with one or two stealth classes tying up a large group by hiding in a recently flipped keep. It was a band aid.

As mentioned by someone else, ending stealth stacking, so it’s really just a short engage/disengage advantage (e.g. 2-3s with an equal amount of reveal afterwards), is the only way removing stealth traps will be justified.

If the above happened, a review of classes most affected (thieves in particular) would be reasonable, since they’ve been somewhat balanced around the idea that stealth can be stacked, and paid a price for it accordingly.

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

If people are dropping stealth traps to kill you, I’d bet good money you’re a ghost Thief that spends 95% of a fight in stealth dropping conditions on people. In which case, I think it’s perfectly justified to be laying traps.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Stealth Disruptor Traps are only needed because of Stealth stacking. Both are bad for the game and should be removed.

Game is about heavy gimmicks, makes it look like as a good combat structure >:}

If people are dropping stealth traps to kill you, I’d bet good money you’re a ghost Thief that spends 95% of a fight in stealth dropping conditions on people. In which case, I think it’s perfectly justified to be laying traps.

Just the time that takes a stealth trap to be deployd any one can kill the player doing it looool, and the stealth thief can go take a siesta before kills the target.

As a DH with shouts i dont have problems with these thiefs, and with traps i can be easilly carried to disrupt the thief actions, but kittens to see 8-10 players going down in just 5 – 6 seconds.. lol

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

https://youtu.be/mtN-Rkdc1ts

On review,

I find stealth traps are to thieves as 10sec-15sec CD nerfed celestial avatar is to druids.

Enough thieves were being jerks that stealth trap and other various reveal skills became a necessary.

And just so you don’t feel all alone, I’ve stealth trapped mesmers before too.

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

im still waiting for a stealth thief zerg :} would be hilarious!

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

This thread brightened my day.

A higher skilled thief that can’t tell when a stealth trap is being set.

Next on Dr. Phil, High skilled Guardians that always get CC’d.

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

i do not think i seen a stealth trap in 2 years ? lol

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Can they be deployed in EotM? ;-)

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

Can they be deployed in EotM? ;-)

Savage.

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

Someone got rekt by a trap

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

The current meta versus a Thief (if such a concept exists) is certainly not to spend 4 seconds massaging the ground to lay a trap that doesn’t really guarantee much other than seeing the Thief fly away with shortbow anyway. It’s far easier to reveal a Thief by just being an Engineer/Guardian/Revenant.

Gandara

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

The current meta versus a Thief (if such a concept exists) is certainly not to spend 4 seconds massaging the ground to lay a trap that doesn’t really guarantee much other than seeing the Thief fly away with shortbow anyway. It’s far easier to reveal a Thief by just being an Engineer/Guardian/Revenant.

Actually setting a stealth trap can be amazingly effective. I have set them while a stealthed thief engaged me and started his attacks only to be revealed when it finished.

I am still trying to understand what they think i was doing on my knees for those seconds.

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Actually setting a stealth trap can be amazingly effective. I have set them while a stealthed thief engaged me and started his attacks only to be revealed when it finished.

I am still trying to understand what they think i was doing on my knees for those seconds.

I think people have just gotten used to seeing you on your knees

LGN

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: XTR.9604

XTR.9604

As a higher skilled thief (at least I fancy myself as one.)

Higher skilled thief = cookie cutter thief that tries to burst a person, realizes they do no damage and shortbow 5 away 24/7? There is legit no such thing as a “skilled thief” in this entire game. You’re all doing the exact same thing and none of you are good for doing it. I literally have zero respect for anyone who plays thief and have even less than that for anyone who thinks STEALTH needs buffed being the 2nd most broken thing in the game next to burning damage.

No to all of the above. Stealth as it is should be made to be a boon that can be stripped, it is already WAY too over powered. I am really wondering if you’re just trolling or if you really are that bad at the game.

If you’re having problems with stealth traps you might not be as good a thief as you think you are…..

This ^

Asphyxia [XT] – Crystal Desert & Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at XtremeTheory.com

(edited by XTR.9604)

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Remove the excessive stealth stacking going on in this game and no one would need a trap to counter that.

2 birds one stone principal.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: shagwell.1349

shagwell.1349

And take away condition cleanse from stealth!

[orz] below mediocre – we sponsor Arenanet
Piken Square EU, maybe soon on your server.

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: godmoney.6025

godmoney.6025

I have used stealth trap only once, and that was to reveal a ghost condi thief so that the angry mob with pitchforks he was trolling could beat him to death. It was glorious.

La Fantoma – Aurora Glade

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

i am fine with removing stealth stacking if change shadow embrace back to 1 second.

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

i am fine with removing stealth stacking if change shadow embrace back to 1 second.

Considering to get this trait you have to also get the trait that makes stealth last 4s instead of 3s you can get 2 conditions cleansed and still 1s to spare for stabbing. This is on par with what a lot of classes get for cleansing options without sacrificing utilities.

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

Stealth should be completely redesigned.

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

Op is probably a baddie ghost thief who got trapped then killed and came here to cry. Good thieves just laugh at stealth traps and kill you anyway, it doesn’t affect them at all.

How about instead we add damage to thief traps so the cancer ghost build cant be used anymore. And if you aren’t a ghost thief and died due to a stealth trap, you’re just bad.

I’m only about average on thief, and I’ve never died due to someone dropping a stealth trap, on the rare occasions it actually happens. So if they cant even kill me, being an average thief, but they can kill you. You are most certainly not as highly skilled as you think you are.

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Mokk.2397

Mokk.2397

Because of the broken stealth of thieves and mesmers I would even go further to say that stealth traps should be instant cast much the same way that siege disablers work.

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I think people have just gotten used to seeing you on your knees

Yeah I do that sometimes to give guys like you a fighting chance.

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

Higher skilled thief = cookie cutter thief that tries to burst a person, realizes they do no damage and shortbow 5 away 24/7? There is legit no such thing as a “skilled thief” in this entire game. You’re all doing the exact same thing and none of you are good for doing it. I literally have zero respect for anyone who plays thief and have even less than that for anyone who thinks STEALTH needs buffed being the 2nd most broken thing in the game next to burning damage.

No to all of the above. Stealth as it is should be made to be a boon that can be stripped, it is already WAY too over powered. I am really wondering if you’re just trolling or if you really are that bad at the game.

This ^

Kek dude.

No such thing as a skilled thief, coming from a dude that plays tank ele then just dismisses everyone as doing no damage hahaha. I’ve dueled you before, most meh kitten I’ve ever seen. Plz don’t go around trashing other classes while you use one of the most carry never die builds around, on the level of mender druid.

Btw if you insist I still have the video from our “duel” tho honestly it was mostly me trying to snuff out the last of your HP bar for 5 minutes. YOU do no damage, except to something as fragile as a glass thief, but can still tank a glass thief’s full burst and heal to full instantly.

But ya you keep on imagining you’re sooooo skillful in tank ele.

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Nikkinella.8254

This ^

Kek dude.

No such thing as a skilled thief, coming from a dude that plays tank ele then just dismisses everyone as doing no damage hahaha. I’ve dueled you before, most meh kitten I’ve ever seen. Plz don’t go around trashing other classes while you use one of the most carry never die builds around, on the level of mender druid.

Btw if you insist I still have the video from our “duel” tho honestly it was mostly me trying to snuff out the last of your HP bar for 5 minutes. YOU do no damage, except to something as fragile as a glass thief, but can still tank a glass thief’s full burst and heal to full instantly.

I hope he has cleansing fire equipped. He’ll need it to get rid of that burn.

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: XTR.9604

XTR.9604

This ^

Kek dude.

Apparently you haven’t been keeping up lol.. I’ve mained marauder/crusader guardian again since they nurfed air overload several months ago. I’ve been playing condi warrior for PvP and for solo roaming a bit as well. Thief doesn’t do damage to either of those lol.

I don’t remember which ele build I was playing when we fought or what class you even played lol. I’ve dueled a ton of people..

Asphyxia [XT] – Crystal Desert & Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at XtremeTheory.com

(edited by XTR.9604)

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Stealth stacking should be removed completely from the game. Outside of some D/P players, I think pretty much everyone else would enjoy the game more.

Along with that change some thief nerfs should get a rollback at the same time. ANet has basically gutted every thief weapon leaving them overly dependent on condi or D/P.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Always a good thing that it takes siegs / supply to counter a class not other sieges or even walls but it takes supply and these temp. siegs to counter a class…. stealth is broken in wvw and it needs to be fixed badly.

If your using stealth trap on one person the person using the stealth trap has already lost.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

(edited by Jski.6180)

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

Always a good thing that it takes siegs / supply to counter a class not other sieges or even walls but it takes supply and these temp. siegs to counter a class…. stealth is broken in wvw and it needs to be fixed badly.

except it does not “take” siege/supply to counter it. its called:

L
P

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

Get rid of spiking from stealth, the ludicrous amount of time you can stealth, make the stealth cool downs as long as my signet of stone cool down and then maybe we’ll talk about removing one of the few ways that we can trap and kill cowardly stealth thieves.

I know many thieves who never use stealth and in all honesty, don’t need it. They take on and defeat their opponents without it.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Nikkinella.8254

If they adopted the stealth system from blade and soul, it would probably be alot better. You can stealth repeatedly, there aren’t any reveal skills, but taking damage in stealth reveals you. Stealth skills also last for a much longer time too. And also you aren’t completely invisible. When a player stealths, you see a shimmering outline of them when they move. And there’s no aoe limit in that game either. And the assassin has nowhere near the mobility thief has in gw2. Just remove all the reveal skills, and make it so taking damage breaks stealth.

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

If they adopted the stealth system from blade and soul, it would probably be alot better. You can stealth repeatedly, there aren’t any reveal skills, but taking damage in stealth reveals you. Stealth skills also last for a much longer time too. And also you aren’t completely invisible. When a player stealths, you see a shimmering outline of them when they move. And there’s no aoe limit in that game either. And the assassin has nowhere near the mobility thief has in gw2. Just remove all the reveal skills, and make it so taking damage breaks stealth.

I also think that, because stealth requires being sneaky, the thief movement should be set to walking. No more full speed running in stealth. Another condition for removing stealth traps and reveals.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

As a higher skilled thief (at least I fancy myself as one.) I couldn’t help but notice the current meta vs a thief just consists of throwing down a stealth trap, open field, even if you outnumber the thief 5 to 1. In principal i’ve got no real issue with a stealth trap other than the 30 seconds of denying me my classes basic gameplay mechanic (imagine a trap that just denies necros deathshroud for no compelling reason). It seems there would be huge outrage if any other class had a trap that someone could lay 2 of with their current supply that essentially just amounts to a ‘lay trap & win’.

Erm you realise that the laughably named stealth is broken as hell in this game, at least in WvW (in sPvP there are trade offs to using stealth), which is ironic as this was the game that banged on about how much more balanced stealth would be, how there would be no perma stealth, etc when it was hyping itself up pre-launch.

If I compare to another MMO that has something like WvW – ESO, this is what I face if I play the “stealth” class – every single class has access to at least one reveal skill, one of which, available to all, not only is a spammable reveal (only limited by your resource pool) it also reduces damage from stealth attacks by 50% for simply being slotted on your active weapon bar, every class also has access to reveal pots that make the “reveals” in GW2 look like childs play as they have a big radius and reveal for something up to 40 secs if I remember correctly and to top it off direct damage knocks you out of stealth.

The “counters” to stealth in GW2 are a joke in comparison, which is why stealth is broken as hell in WvW and really if you complaining about them you are simply a baddie with no concept of risk vs reward.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

As a higher skilled thief … outnumber the thief 5 to 1

So you are complaining that you can’t win a 5v1 and/or escape a 5v1 because of a stealth trap you see thrown on the ground (that you can see being casted and takes 4s to cast AND you have to run over it) …

Do you think other non-stealth classes can escape a 5v1 situation without a tower door nearby?

higher skilled thief

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

except it does not “take” siege/supply to counter it. its called:

L
P

When a player has a chose to simply reset a fight or simply run away from any fight but others do not because of the class they play l2p has nothing to do with it. Its more on the lines of popc or play the op class. I suggest ppl who play thfs or the current all in meta classes are less skilled because the game has given them more tools to make there game play less though out and deep.

Stealth IS counter by reveal effect most classes cant use that effect and the ones that can the duration is way too short to even give time to counter it so yes you do NEED a tool such as stealth traps to truly counter thfs.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Stealth Traps

in WvW

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

Stealth traps are ok, they take so long to deploy. Also thief 1v5ing is just waste of time for the 5, so the thief is just trolling, cuz he cant finish downs with 4 people ressing.

Anyways I find using stealth traps against blobs most useful, you just place it and enemy gets revealed for 30s, it kittens up guilds, thieves, mesmers, scrappers, veils etc. The high target cap is little gimmicky and could use a nerf i guess.

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout