Still think gear doesn't matter?

in WvW

Posted by: SoulstitchMMO.1396

SoulstitchMMO.1396

Q:

I saw this a lot on message boards and always thought to myself…just you wait. How many people got to 80, and realized there was a gear grind, and that the only way to get some stat combos was through specific dungeons, running them for days to get a full set of the legendary you wanted (nightmare set from Twilight Arbor).

The difference between a fresh 80, and a legendary 80… is noticeable to say the least.

Does anyone still think gear doesn’t matter?

in WvW

Posted by: Uzul.6380

Uzul.6380

Gear definitely matters in WvW, but you can get a full set of lvl80 Masterwork/Rare gear for really cheap on the TP. Obviously you won’t be as a strong as someone in full exotic gear, but you will still be very effective.

in WvW

Posted by: Vim.7318

Vim.7318

There is a marginal difference between rares and exotics and I think the only difference between exotic and legendary is the look.

Invariably you have a ridiculous number of people attacking something defended by a kittenload less people. I doubt a handful of points in various stats is going to be the tipping point.

If you are talking an open battlefield charge between two evenly matched teams then sure, a marginal difference is still a big advantage. But I haven’t seen many fair fights.

in WvW

Posted by: Rawdll.2915

Rawdll.2915

Crafted gear gets you the same stats that dungeon gear has. All you have to do is get the mats one way or another. Dungeons grinds are for looks and / or the gear stats.

in WvW

Posted by: Vim.7318

Vim.7318

Crafted gear gets you the same stats that dungeon gear has. All you have to do is get the mats one way or another. Dungeons grinds are for looks and / or the gear stats.

Can’t craft Toughness/Vitality/Power gear. It is the only set I have gone for from a dungeon farm. Given the long travel times, and sometimes the difficulty in moving around, staying alive is critical imo. Glass cannon WvWers go down far too quickly.

in WvW

Posted by: Vuladro.8931

Vuladro.8931

No one said gear wouldn’t matter. Everyone said gear will be equally obtainable for even the average gamer.

Baca Jin [FotN] – Sylvari Mesmer – SBI
Bacajin [FotN] – Charr Thief – SBI
Bacajinn [FotN] – Asura Warrior – SBI

in WvW

Posted by: MrPicklez.6473

MrPicklez.6473

Can’t craft Toughness/Vitality/Power gear. It is the only set I have gone for from a dungeon farm. Given the long travel times, and sometimes the difficulty in moving around, staying alive is critical imo. Glass cannon WvWers go down far too quickly.

To the contrary, I think you’ll find that the toughness/vitality gear is rather worthless, unless your job is just to spam rezz people. I have a full glass cannon set, and a carrion set that gives me 24k HP (although my toughness is only 1400 in that spec). To be honest, against a glass cannon the extra HP doesn’t really do me much good. I suppose the extra toughness could make a massive difference, but I find it doubtful.

Huge condition damage stacks seem to be the main issue, and the damage is so high that even with the 10k more HP in the carrion set it really only buys me an extra three seconds. Not only would toughness not make a difference for that, but my damage output would be extremely diminished. This game seems much more about killing, and killing rather fast, than it is about surviving. If you really want to survive I think that the vitality/healing gear would be the way to go, or perhaps vit/heal armor and tough/vit jewels. Power simply isn’t enough alone to be able to do something worthwhile in a fight.

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

It makes minimal difference, especially in big fights where siege weapons are involved. It’s also, probably, a mistake by Arenanet. Why make everyone but one or two stats combos much harder to acquire?

Also affects only WvW and not sPvP. So yeah, in GW2’s pvp gear is not a factor.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in WvW

Posted by: Oxnan.2459

Oxnan.2459

Gear doesnt matter much… this is more about a specific set (pwr/tough/vit) than any other issues. It is the only set that is unavailable by crafting. There is other ways of getting the set like WvW(250 to 400 badges) or Dungeons or Karma (42k a peice)

I agree the set should be craftable but going for some other set in the meantime and changing later once you get enough currency for that set is somewhat ok for now. In a patch later on it should be added to the crafting table however.

in WvW

Posted by: chuiu.4985

chuiu.4985

Gear definitely matters in WvW, but you can get a full set of lvl80 Masterwork/Rare gear for really cheap on the TP. Obviously you won’t be as a strong as someone in full exotic gear, but you will still be very effective.

There is a huge stat difference between rare and exotic gear, compare them side by side and add up the differences.

in WvW

Posted by: Shredicus.8706

Shredicus.8706

Level 78 exotics can be had on the TP for a fraction of their 80 counterparts and the state you lose over the entire set is infinitesimal.

in WvW

Posted by: Keldrath.4735

Keldrath.4735

I still don’t think it matters much. The difference in stats isn’t really that big, it’s more about the runes and sigils than anything, and a full exotic set really doesn’t take that much work if you just craft it rather than grind tokens or karma for it. They all have different stats between karma, badges, and crafting, but the power level is the same and it’s an easy level to reach, only takes like 1 week of work. I don’t feel severely disadvantaged going in with greens with exotic runes and sigils at all vs someone with exotics. Especially not in WvW where individual performance matters a lot less than the group performance which also matters a lot less than the tactics and strategy to the point where gear is almost a non-issue.

80 Necromancer/Guardian/Mesmer
Isle of Janthir
Super Ultra Mega Awesome [SUMA]

in WvW

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Gear does matter, but in WvW it’s a bit different.

Because you’re not alone, and the big numbers, the cap point (and to kill count) sistem and siege weapons on the field makes the gear of the single player less important.

Thus, you can be even a group of full exotic true lvl 80 vs lvl 30 group, but if they have an arrow cart, or are the double of yours, or holds longer/more points, they’ll win.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in WvW

Posted by: Melphina.9035

Melphina.9035

There is a huge stat difference between rare and exotic gear, compare them side by side and add up the differences.

13% or were you trying to start something ?

I saw this a lot on message boards and always thought to myself…just you wait. How many people got to 80, and realized there was a gear grind, and that the only way to get some stat combos was through specific dungeons, running them for days to get a full set of the legendary you wanted (nightmare set from Twilight Arbor).

The difference between a fresh 80, and a legendary 80… is noticeable to say the least.

Does anyone still think gear doesn’t matter?

Gear always matters however the scaling of the gear in Works quite well when you have all level appropriate gear. However, everyone has acess to gear and some ways, like crafting, are much faster than trying to use karma or dungeon sets.

Melphina Kobe ~ Thief

(edited by Melphina.9035)

in WvW

Posted by: Mulitplex.2017

Mulitplex.2017

To the contrary, I think you’ll find that the toughness/vitality gear is rather worthless, unless your job is just to spam rezz people. I have a full glass cannon set, and a carrion set that gives me 24k HP (although my toughness is only 1400 in that spec). To be honest, against a glass cannon the extra HP doesn’t really do me much good. I suppose the extra toughness could make a massive difference, but I find it doubtful.

There’s significant value in having some players who are able to dive in and draw fire when two large groups engage in the open field. Those players need Vit/Tough gear to be survivable enough to do that effectively. That level of organization in WvW makes a difference when many groups you run into are random PUGs.

That’s a far cry from a rez bot.

in WvW

Posted by: Rshipley.8194

Rshipley.8194

Gear definitely matters

i7-980X 3.33GHZ Extreme, Nvidia GTX 680 1.5 G, 12 GB RAM, FPS 105

in WvW

Posted by: bantoss.1542

bantoss.1542

Better gear does matter, but take this with a grain of salt.

Due to the inherently unfair nature of WvW, gear is negligible and most of the time matters very little outside of the occasional 1v1.

For example, everybody on my server, Kaineng, could be equipped with lvl 80 exotic gear, but that would still make very little difference in terms of actual combat outside the meta game. When Northern Shiverpeaks outnumbers us 5 to 1, what does it matter what gear they have? They could be in lvl 10 gear for all I care, and in the end they would still roflstomp zerg roll us.

So what happens when everybody has lvl 80 exotic gear? Which actually doesn’t take that long to earn. Am I going to complain to ANet and force them to move players to my server?kitten WvW is always going to be unfair.

People who play more are going to be better. They’ll have more money to buy better siege equipment, upgrade them at the Mystic Forge, coordinate with better tactics, etc.

Time = Real Money = Virtual Money = Boosts = Siege Equipment = Win

If we look at it from this standpoint, then GW2 is in fact, a pay to win game. Truth is, nobody has that kind of money because Gem to Gold conversion rate is absolutely horrible. Does that prevent uber rich people from pay to win? Nope. Not at all. Get over it.

TGOG

in WvW

Posted by: zubebuehler.5890

zubebuehler.5890

That’s a bit exaggerated bantos.1542. Gw2 is not a P2W game.
Please, spare me the wails of how “expensive” siege equipment is.
If you take a single tower, which is really not hard at all, you’ll get enough silver to buy 1 siege equipment already. Since there are at least 5 to 30 people storming that tower there will be enough money made to buy several siege blueprints.. And this is excluding the random drops you get from mobs. My friend and I for example have gotten 4 siege golems already, pure luck I guess. Just did some jumping puzzle in eternal battleground as well as in the borderlands.

Back on topic: Gear does matter in 1vs1s but did 1vs1 really change the flow of the WvW winning or losing? I guess not. BTW, anybody can get access to exotic gear rather easily. If you aren’t willing to spend even “couple days to a week” for a game…now why are you playing it? It isn’t even grinding, you can vary the gameplay through doing some dungeons here, meta events there, WvW here, crafting there. Lot’s of options so I don’t see a need to complain about it. As I mentioned before, if you aren’t having fun with this game, then go play something else.

(edited by zubebuehler.5890)

in WvW

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

Exotic Toughness/Vitality/Power gear is available from the temple vendors in Orr (at least for Heavy armour users).

You can get enough Karma to buy the full set in probably about a month of regular WvW play.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

in WvW

Posted by: italia.6524

italia.6524

In the grand scheme of WvW, no gear doesn’t matter at all. I often times run around mostly naked with only items that cant be seen. I run into opponents, drop hammer, run out, heal, run back in – rinse & repeat. Clearly, there are many things affected by having no gear or some gear- does wearing it make any difference in my personal keystroking? Absolutely not.

next

Me @Twitch Merciless-Guild.com Commander, tamer of Centaurs.

in WvW

Posted by: Slamz.5376

Slamz.5376

I leveled from 2-80 in WvW. I hit 80 with about 140,000 karma. I bought a full suit of yellow (rare) gear. I didn’t realize there were also karma vendors for exotic gear (42k per piece) or I’d have gone straight to that instead, and would be almost fully kitted out. As it is, I bought two pieces of exotic gear already and again I do nothing but WvW.

I also have an exotic pistol from badges. I’d have more but I spent all my badges from 1-60 or so on siege engines. I’m back up to about 200 badges now. Shield next.

I don’t really see the problem. I’ve actually been worried that they’d nerf it.

Camelot Unchained – from the makers of DAOC
A game that’s 100% WvW
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

in WvW

Posted by: Judas.5432

Judas.5432

In WuvWuv, it matters only a little. Skill and/or luck will still beat gear every time.

In sPVP and PvE, it doesn’t matter at all. Overall, I’d say gear is mostly to almost completely cosmetic. The only time when perfect gear will definitely result in victory is if you happen into a 1v1 against someone of the same class and skill level as yourself. I have only had that happen to me once and I ended up just escaping rather than dying. I wouldn’t call that game breaking in the least.

Judas – Kaineng
[CO] Cryptic Omen

in WvW

Posted by: chuiu.4985

chuiu.4985

13% or were you trying to start something ?

And you’re saying 13% doesn’t matter? That’s 13% more damage, 13% more health, 13% more armor. Adds up to almost a 40% total difference. And if you aren’t bringing armor or health it adds up to even higher differences in damage due to higher crit and/or crit damage, which matters a lot.

in WvW

Posted by: Tuco.2419

Tuco.2419

Gear matters, but it’s easy to get geared.
1. The difference between level 80 exotics and rares is 13%, the difference between level 80 exotics and level 78 exotics is around 5%, and it’s very easy to get the level 78 exotics / level 80 rares.
2. Siege weapons make up the core of the WvW arsenal.
3. You can get a crafted berserker set which is preferable for most players.