Stomp mechanism discourages fighting

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Now some may take this as a qq thread, or a crying thread, or a carebear, whatever…

But I would say that the stomp mechanism in GW2 WvW discourages people from fighting.

There are a lot of complaints about people unwilling to fight or running away from fights or tower hugging. I’ll bet the stomp mechanism has something to do with this.

I don’t mind dying, in fact, I tell others I run with that its ok to die. Just so you get out there and fight and not run away at the first sign of the enemy. In large group fights you often don’t get stomped cause you’re dead if you get caught out of position before you can get stomped.

But in smaller scale fights you usually get stomped. The problem is, so you get killed in a fight, fine, why do you need to get humiliated too by having someone drop a cow butt on your face?

I’ve gotten so I usually only fight people small scale or 1v1 on my ele right outside a tower or keep gate. Yep that’s right, so I can vapor form inside if you try to stomp me. I even let people kill all the guards before I come out to fight. If you just dps me while downed that’s fine, I let you. I don’t mind dying or giving you your loot. If you beat me in a fight you deserve loot. But I’m not going to just sit there and let you drop some cow butt right on my face because some people with the mentality of a twelve year old boy think its funny.

So complain about the lack of fights, there are reasons and I think this is one. And I’ll bet there’s a lot more out there like me.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I don’t think many veteran players care about getting spiked. I also think most veteran players know better than to fight an ele in front of their door. I really don’t believe this is a significant reason why many players do not like to roam.

Now I do get annoyed by Rally but that is an entirely other topic.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

if I get downed in a solo fight it might as well be the same as being stomped.

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

With this train of thought I would think dieing has more to do with discouraging fights then stomping. In most cases if you get downed, you’re going to get stomped or die. You can’t really bank on the downed skills or rallying to save your life in small fights.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Step 1: roll warrior
Step 2: Trait for 100% Condi duration
Step 3: immobilize downed ele for 12 seconds.
Step 4: stomp

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

The whole stomp/downed-state mechanic is just so game-breakingly bad I’ve given up all hope for good PvP in this game.

It makes fighting while outnumbered effectively futile when a group of players, no matter how bad, can just instantly revive each other within a second. Let alone the fact that getting off a stomp often takes much longer than the fight itself.

Glass-Cannon Ele dies in 3 seconds but it takes 10 seconds to stomp them and 1 second for their friends to revive them. That right there is the pinnacle of this idiotic PvE mechanic.

I’m not sure it discourages people fighting in general but it certainly discourages fighting when you’re outmanned. Even if you outplay them by a margin they still just get to revive each other indefinitely.

in WvW

Johje Holan.4607

I agree with the statement about hardcore veteran players. But that’s not who I’m talking about. You need more than veteran players in WvW or else you’re going to see the format decrease in popularity – as you are. Plus its the veteran players complaining about not having enough people to fight.

I’m sure simply dying does discourage some people (repair costs are one reason). But I would bet getting stomped adds a whole nother group that is discouraged to fight. And what we all want is more fighting right?

Thanks for the tip about Warriors, I’ll watch for that.

in WvW

Posted by: EvilSardine.9635

EvilSardine.9635

Honestly, this is sad. It’s a video game. Get over it.

But I would bet getting stomped adds a whole nother group that is discouraged to fight. And what we all want is more fighting right?

People who have an actual FEAR of dying in a video game just because they “got spiked” are 100% terrible players. I have no interest in fighting them since they will pose no challenge.

Stick to the tower hugging.

in WvW

Johje Holan.4607

Hey don’t kill the messenger. I’m just stating reasons for people not fighting. People complain about it, I’m giving a reason.

Nothing to do with fear either. Simply distaste. Give someone an unpleasant experience and they won’t come back for more. Give them a decent experience, they will.

If new, inexperienced, or casual players never try to fight they will never learn. Who knows, some of them might get better and give you a challenge.

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

Hey don’t kill the messenger. I’m just stating reasons for people not fighting. People complain about it, I’m giving a reason.

Nothing to do with fear either. Simply distaste. Give someone an unpleasant experience and they won’t come back for more. Give them a decent experience, they will.

If new, inexperienced, or casual players never try to fight they will never learn. Who knows, some of them might get better and give you a challenge.

I think your talking about the mentality of players rather than the game mode. WvW doesn’t really have a casual introduction. Experienced PvPers know where they stand being new to a game, the progression of skill. A person new to PvP may not understand that and that imo is a issue with a lot of older long standing games that “dumb down” content to be more enticing to new or casual players.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Avatar of Belle.9623

Why PvP if you are afraid/dislike dying? I’m not particular fond of getting stomped or killed but it’s part of the game. Waypoint and runback ASAP.

Threnody of Belle – Necromancer and PvE Carebear (24,500 achievement points)
Maguuma
#allisvain

in WvW

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

Most “good” roamers always fight outnumbered, because they know that is the sole occasion an enemy would willingly stop to fight you.
I’ve just finished a 10v4 and man, it was good. We stomped 7, the last 3 fled but whatever, I had my fair share of fun.
Most roamers know that very few people will stop to fight you if they are not other roamers OR know that have the protection of something nearby – be it a zerg, a buffed camp or a tower. The 1v2 I had inside a buffed camp were sooo fun! That’s the sole reason I run with DaggerStorm as a Thief :P

I hate dying, and when I try to catch up with my guild group as a Staff Ele I always avoid fighting and don’t mind relying to “unfair” advantages to escape. I know that might kitten off other people, but w/e.
If I see one guy running towards his tower after he gets to 40% HP I consider it a win. If he manages to get inside, good for him.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in WvW

Posted by: PaladinVII.1647

PaladinVII.1647

In WvW there is almost no reason not to log the moment you are downed to prevent a stomp. None.
1. You will have to respawn anyways if you’re roaming. If you’re in a zerg, it is likely they will move on, or die right next to you. Unless the WvW cue times are long, you can just re-join.
2. It is a final finger raised in the direction of your opponent.
3. If you log to prevent a stomp in WvW, you prevent the enemy team from getting a point or three thanks to the addition of bloodlust. This is INCENTIVE to log out to prevent a stomp and should be addressed.

For these reasons, WvW has lost its fun for me. Whenever I feel like banging my head against this brick-wall, it usually ends up with a log-fest followed by alt-f4.

in WvW

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

^
If you are getting ganged by a definitely larger group without any means to escape, I find behaviours like this quite legit.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in WvW

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

In WvW there is almost no reason not to log the moment you are downed to prevent a stomp. None.
1. You will have to respawn anyways if you’re roaming. If you’re in a zerg, it is likely they will move on, or die right next to you. Unless the WvW cue times are long, you can just re-join.
2. It is a final finger raised in the direction of your opponent.
3. If you log to prevent a stomp in WvW, you prevent the enemy team from getting a point or three thanks to the addition of bloodlust. This is INCENTIVE to log out to prevent a stomp and should be addressed.

For these reasons, WvW has lost its fun for me. Whenever I feel like banging my head against this brick-wall, it usually ends up with a log-fest followed by alt-f4.

Man! Seriously? – log out to avoid losing a fight?
That’s exactly like kicking over the table in a game of chess.

If anyone does that, I consider it a win, hands-down. Especially since the poor sucker will have to queue again to get back in.

As for points … words fail me. Points are a joke.

in WvW

Posted by: EvilSardine.9635

EvilSardine.9635

Bwahahaha. My guildies and I get a good chuckle out of people who do this because we know we angered them enough for them to AltF4 out of their entire game. We prefer you do this because we don’t need to spend time spiking you and we still get credit and a loot bag from you. Saves a lot of time.

It just makes you look like a terrible player who is very upset about dying in a game.

in WvW

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

Stomping encourages me to kill and then use the cow on people, lol. Wish I had the cow finisher though.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

in WvW

Posted by: Easterbunny.6170

Easterbunny.6170

I use bunnies. Its far more humiliating. :p

Its a game, this is the mechanics of the game. Every game I have ever played in the past 30 years has had X new mechanic and Y people complaining about how its not like the last game they played and they have to change their playstyle to suit the dynamic.

Me personally, I don’t even see the finisher. By then I am way to busy counting the enemies, giving that count to my team, then deciding if my team will get a chance to rez me or if I should be WPing and running.

Necro and Engi, im popping stability and stomping, because I don’t want to lose those downs.

In logging out you have done a disservice to your side, your team, your community.

Why? Because you decided that your personal sensitivity to cow buttocks was > Than all the valuable intelligence you can give while downed.

WvW is a team game. Your team is your side. As a solo roamer, you can do many valuable things for your side, none larger than intelligence. Clean accurate counts and directional data does wonders.

Get killed soloing a camp? By who? How Many? Can someone make it in time to save the camp? No? Where did they move to next?

Cow to the face? Really? I didn’t notice.

WP before you give that info? Log out because your too sensitive to neener neener? Honestly your side is better off with someone else on that borderland than you. Why not log into SPVP?

My 3c.

Oh one more thing. A New, Inexperienced Etc player shouldn’t be running around solo. If you are on a server where nobody is willing to let you run with them, find another server. If your on a server where you don’t feel like your on a team, find another server. Or…SPvP…its why that exists.

Mummies R Us
Gates of Madness Community
DUI Co-Founder

(edited by Easterbunny.6170)