Stop pin-sniping

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

Anet, can you let give players the option to run anonymous in wvw to avoid this annoying tactic that is destroying the game mode. Driver sniping has gotten completely out of hand. Wvw is no longer zerg v zerg. It’s become zerg v driver. As soon a driver gets in range of the enemy, he gets corrupted, CC’ed, pulled, etc. by every one in range. So, what could have been a fun battle, turns into a commander getting killed and his zerg scatters and waits for him to run back. Basically no fun, and no bags, for anyone.

Wouldn’t it make much more sense for wvw players to run anonymous? By anonymous, I mean when you target an enemy player, instead of a detailed headshot and rank, you see no facial detail and a rankless label like “Maguuma Invader.” At least give us the option to toggle on or off what information we want displayed to the enemy.

Osu

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

… you do realize that most will recognize who the commander of a zerg is simply by looking at how the zerg run? You dont need ranks or portraits.

Either way, its a player created problem.

99% of commanders will grab a meta group while dumping the taboo healers or people that can cloak him on demand in the garbage group that apparently does not need any stab when the commander faceplant 20v50 into a necrobomb while crying that noobs wont follow.

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

I know you can never completely do away with pin-sniping. The driver is always in front, and usually a guard, so it is pretty easy to figure it out by deductive reasoning. I’m just trying to make it less obvious.

Anet created this problem by changing stability. Least they can do is try to mitigate the damage.

Osu

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Alec B.8905

Alec B.8905

people pin snipe because it destroys zergs, then they can clean up the scraps for bags. that is the easiest way to zerg v zerg.

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: XTR.9604

XTR.9604

Stop pin-sniping

Never.

Maybe people will stop pin sniping when the pin stops jumping out 100 feet in front of his group making it obvious that he is the commander lol… It is very easy to figure out who is the tag based on who is leaping out first. A good driver will say leap, good group will leap before them, and then tada, not getting sniped lol.

Its a L2P issue. I don’t generally get drive sniped in my groups.

Asphyxia [XT] – Crystal Desert & Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at XtremeTheory.com

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

I know you can never completely do away with pin-sniping. The driver is always in front, and usually a guard, so it is pretty easy to figure it out by deductive reasoning. I’m just trying to make it less obvious.

Anet created this problem by changing stability. Least they can do is try to mitigate the damage.

It depends on the driver, at the end of the day 90% of drivers it’s extremely easy to figure out who they are by the movement of the group. The driver is usually the first one to move in any change of direction and so without stealth is easy to find.

Ultimately the best way to defend against pin sniping is to be proactive and have a smaller group able to disrupt them before the driver gets into range. Well the other option is to change the pin every few fights but I figure that’s almost as annoying as the problem.

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Instead of complaining on the forums about it, have you considered trying to play better instead?

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: XTR.9604

XTR.9604

Instead of complaining on the forums about it, have you considered trying to play better instead?

+1

Asphyxia [XT] – Crystal Desert & Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at XtremeTheory.com

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

A zerg should not collapse if its commander killed. A Commander should appoint someone to take over as commander should s/he fall , this second commander being able to hold the zerg together long enough for the original to get back.

Most zergs should have more than one person that has commanded in the past. I understand that sometimes these people just do not want to command but if it only a matter of a few minutes where s/he throws his commander tag up most would be willing.

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Pinko.2076

Pinko.2076

@ Op anon doesn’t solve anything. I’ve sniped a ton and we just go based on who looks to be driving from movement.

@ Commenters – lol if you think pinsnipe only works from driver running far ahead. Ignoring yank/corrupt, which works if the commander is even 1 yard ahead of his zerg, I’ve seen talented snipe groups do 2-3 glass thieves that can hit the commander from inside his own zerg and sync’d within less than 1 second of each other

commander sniping is usually only an issue of numbers, it gets far easier the zergier it gets. You don’t see snipe builds in smaller equal numbers because you can’t afford the builds to hit critical mass.

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Everyone is fair game.

I do not usually target a driver myself, because of how it can mess up the flow of a fight. Often times it happens as retaliation, so while you think its only happening to you, consider that your side is bringing it on itself by having engaged in it first.

Even if an entire zerg all looked the same way, there are many ways to tell who is commanding. Aoe and CC spam is part of the game, so everyone gets affected by it. Try running a little tankier if its needed. Have a backup commander.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

… it gets far easier the zergier it gets …

/WvW in a nutshell.

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Haematic.4913

Haematic.4913

Anet, can you let give players the option to run anonymous in wvw to avoid this annoying tactic that is destroying the game mode. Driver sniping has gotten completely out of hand. Wvw is no longer zerg v zerg. It’s become zerg v driver. As soon a driver gets in range of the enemy, he gets corrupted, CC’ed, pulled, etc. by every one in range. So, what could have been a fun battle, turns into a commander getting killed and his zerg scatters and waits for him to run back. Basically no fun, and no bags, for anyone.

Wouldn’t it make much more sense for wvw players to run anonymous? By anonymous, I mean when you target an enemy player, instead of a detailed headshot and rank, you see no facial detail and a rankless label like “Maguuma Invader.” At least give us the option to toggle on or off what information we want displayed to the enemy.

Have a back up driver like everyone else or beef up like other drivers if you know it’s a kitten show. I can’t count the amount of times I’ve been driver sniped by JQ and BG guilds with their little thief parties or condi dumpers. Grab contemplation of purity, stand your ground, and signet of judgement.

It’s a strategy to driver snipe. Counter playing is usually a good technique.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQJASWlsAhWhY3QwRIwPEHJE1tACgDAvBhQKknh/LAB-TlhXAB0oEMUdBCu/ADKx4R9HAUeQKgMnaB-w

you’re welcome.

o/

Fort Aspenwood – Haematic, Inclina Deus
http://youtube.com/haematic4913
http://twitch.tv/haematic

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

It’s usually that charrdian with overdone hair and oversized rucksack.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: HiTandMayhem.1378

HiTandMayhem.1378

Have a back up driver…
… beef up like other drivers
…Grab contemplation of purity, stand your ground, and signet of judgement.

It’s a strategy to driver snipe. Counter playing is usually a good technique.

o/

Wholeheartedly agree.

Other mistakes:
-drivers leaping several yards out in front of their zerg, well before everyone else.
-having a distinct look that is easy to pick out. [though some do this on purpose]

For those who are hit by disproportionately uneven numbers, one of their opportunities to fight back is to find the driver and burn them down fast.

It’s a legit tactic that just requires the driver adapt.

[UNIV] – Guild Leader, [DSM]- founding member
[TLC] – MicroCenturion
Fort Aspenwood Community Member

(edited by HiTandMayhem.1378)

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

Put melee ele in the commander party, the tankier the better. Mesmers cant handle the chill from frost aura, rangers cant handle the magnetic aura (or the chill). Also the extra 700 hp/sec from soothing mist and strong regen + aura heals mean you will get to full hp everytime you evade/block/invuln for 2 seconds.

Another interesting choice is scrapper, just because the stealth every 20 second + superspeed from gyro pop to make blob capable of skipping most of the ranged pressure. Ofc the dura proc, extra cleanse, waterfield, medic gyro, bulwark gyro and reflects are nothing to scoff at either ^^

So ofc the core is gonna be 2 normal guards + 1 mallyx/dwarf rev. If the comm is running anything else in his party, just laugh him out of the map.

Biggest issue with the comms is that they always put their friends in their party, even if they are superbad/play wrong classes.

Tank up also, 200-300 more armor for commander, dura runes (not mercy, even though they’re meta) for the passive heal from boons. If they hit the comm, they are just wasting their dps, cuz the comm the tankiest dude in zerg with dwarf rev and melee ele.

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout

(edited by Threather.9354)

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Mehm.2036

Mehm.2036

Anet should nerf Moa by keeping WvW and PvE/PvP skills different. Commander sniping is ruining this game and making people leave.

MEAT from DPS/QQ Guild abuses the elite skill to the point where it starts making the driver appearance “Invisible Bugged”. He keeps moa’ing the driver stopping them from pushing into Blackgate zergs.

Make the Moa WvW skill into 2sec stun or give swift/might/stablity.

(edited by Mehm.2036)

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Vova.2640

Vova.2640

You don’t need to know how the enemy commander looks or what his rank is to recognize him……

Look at how effective someone is in a full Soldiers set.
Look at how effective someone is in a full Dire set.
Nice balance.

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

A commander…
Running on front of the pack.
More obvious when they run their zerg around like a snake.
Usually a guardian.
Sometimes has ghost tonic on.
The zerg falls to pieces when you moa them, you can take note of their rank and looks after the first fight.

Most fight guilds counter this with…
If you’re running a guild group have a second commander ready.
Don’t make it so obvious by running way ahead of everyone else.
Multiple ghost tonic users.
Coordinate your front line to look the same as you.
Spec out to be a real tank, you don’t need to be doing damage when you have a zerg behind you doing that.
Go stealth right before engaging to break enemy targeting, don’t be the first tab target out of stealth.
When doing warmup movements in front of enemy have another front line lead it.

Still pretty easy to track a commander after some observation.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Rambitshouse.8712

Rambitshouse.8712

I will give this OP, the moa thing is kinda lame.

Also, I’d like to see the days of old where a tanky sob could lead a charge against numbers greater than his/her group and take massive damage because the player spec’d themselves correctly and was willing to trade damage for high survivability and let his army do the dps. Today, you can light up a pin with condis easily.

Dtox

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

if you want a temporary fix maybe try running 3 guard / 2 rev. have the revs alternate jalis stab road.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Next OP will just ask to remove gates and walls from structures to let the brainless ktrain cap easier lol.

This is one of the very few tactical plays left available in GW2 and quite frankly has been around since its inception.

Doing anything other than sniping the commander is frankly just admitting your group’s tactics and cohesion are strictly worse than those of three years ago.

Basically, play better, and get your allies to play better and not depend on one dude with an icon, too.

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

“We can’t have pin sniping. What will we do with leaderless zergs?”

“As long as you run big zergs, I will order the killing of commanders at the beginning of every battle.”

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: jamesdolla.3954

jamesdolla.3954

How can you stop driver snipe? Can’t really do it unless you make commanders invuln but then everyone would be running around with a tag then lol

Native Maguuman

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

It is a strategy and a valid one. It is also fair since both sides can do it with equal measure.

If there is a problem is that a huge number of DH zerglings have a built in pull as a class mechanic… hmmm… who thought that was a good idea?

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

(edited by Straegen.2938)

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: jamesdolla.3954

jamesdolla.3954

I guess if you got rid of all the 1200 pulls and moa it would be ok. The necro corrupts are a pain but whatever.

Native Maguuman

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: shiri.4257

shiri.4257

Man this next generation of wvwers, so whiny. if i was anet i’d quit the game too. should remove dodge too while we at it.

~Kasumei/Machiato
Desert Spectre [VII]-Crystal Desert
“You’re never out of the fight.”

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Man this next generation of wvwers, so whiny. if i was anet i’d quit the game too.

Its the quality that Anet expected for the Gw2 players from the beginning….

Skrits are an analogy for the type of players Anet wanted to play their game, what is easy is still hard for them…

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

Anet, can you let give players the option to run anonymous in wvw to avoid this annoying tactic that is destroying the game mode.

or you could think out of the box and ask them to give you a built in voip to the game so even if the tag is dead, his spirit lives on and can still command while dead

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

No degree of anonymity will prevent commander sniping. It is a player created problem in need of a player created solution. There are ways to reduce the risk of this occurring…but that would be giving too much away now

Gandara

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

If your group falls apart and gets wiped if your commander dies, then you’re just all bad and deserve to lose. You should have backup drivers in case he dies and be able to continue functioning as a group without a tag. There’s nothing more satisfying than wiping a group of 30 with 10 because they cant function without their tag, and run around like idiots and all die one after another. This is a pure learn to play issue on part of your zerg and commanders.

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Jerry CCH.9816

Jerry CCH.9816

I know Maguuma is Pin Snipe Server.

winnie@BlackGate

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Ruru.1302

Ruru.1302

You’re in a guild that is literally made to pinsnipe.

mag
[Mada] Apocryfia

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

if your guild getting pin snipe just run someone was a decoy =P

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Jerry CCH.9816

You’re in a guild that is literally made to pinsnipe.

You’re in a guild that is literally made to pinsnipe too .
oh btw and tag watch

winnie@BlackGate

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Commander sniping is ruining this game and making people leave.

Just because people cannot play without a single person shouting orders? That’s laughable honestly…

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

If your group falls apart and gets wiped if your commander dies, then you’re just all bad and deserve to lose. You should have backup drivers in case he dies and be able to continue functioning as a group without a tag. There’s nothing more satisfying than wiping a group of 30 with 10 because they cant function without their tag, and run around like idiots and all die one after another. This is a pure learn to play issue on part of your zerg and commanders.

your argument is all well and good in theory, but in reality it is false. for zergs, there will always be one commander leading everyone else. even if you had everyone in the zerg as a backup driver, all the pin snipers have to do is change targets. if for some otherworldy (and good) reason only smaller teams could pinsnipe, I doubt many would have a problem with it because the advantage wouldn’t last long. the reality is zergs of equal or greater size often pin snipe because the commander and/or zerg theyre with are not as experienced as their enemy, have comp issues, or are leading mostly pugs not in comms, so they grind the fight to a halt using pretty much the only option available other then siege humping (or its a small part of a server that neither the commander or militia condone). what ever the cause, when one side does it, then everyone starts doing it because it is a lost advantage not to.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Corrupt.6749

Corrupt.6749

Anet should nerf Corrupt boon by keeping WvW and PvE/PvP skills different. Commander sniping is ruining this game and making people leave.
“Winnie” fromQQ Guild abuses the Corrupt Boon and Signet skill to the point where it starts making the driver not have stability. He keeps Corrupting the driver stopping them from pushing into Blackgate zergs.
Make the Corrupt boon and signets WvW skill increase CD to 5Mins

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

If youre one of those comms that thinks he shouldnt get any damage before his entire zerg dies,youre playing it wrong..Adapt.

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Tip: When it happens, don’t have like 5-10 frontliners immediately make a blind dive to save the Divine Leader. That’s just bait for various types of cleave/corrupts/aoe/epidemic.

That’s what’s really killing you.

I also feel this is more of a place to rant about something like DH pulls or Moa rather than the more specific example of sniping a single target. And the only real issue I have with Moa is that you can’t jump.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Anet should nerf Corrupt boon by keeping WvW and PvE/PvP skills different. Commander sniping is ruining this game and making people leave.

Hah. If you’re so bad that you quit the game because other people are actually thinking and using gasp strategy…..then we don’t want you.

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Torchdom.8214

Torchdom.8214

I’d like to just find a squad before getting sniped. Stupidest part of WvW. It’s clear I’m not in a squad, I’m away from any tactical areas, and just searching for someone to join up with because no one LFG’s WvW anymore.

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Chorazin.4107

Chorazin.4107

lol @ this thread. Blobmander died, dont know how to push button 1 now.

Chorazin
[lion]~ riperonis
[tRex]

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: DevilishLyx.2340

DevilishLyx.2340

This mode is a joke now. Pulls, condis, arrow carts, hiding in towers, only pushing when you outnumber the enemy group 3 to 1, zergs.
I would play PvE but that’s just so boring, and sPvP isnt my thing. Think I might just play another game and come back in 20 years time when anet finally release a new map!

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

To clarify,

You want your opponents to stop attacking those commanders leading your forces?

I really am at a loss to understand any possible merit in this suggestion.

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Jerry CCH.9816

winnie@BlackGate

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: danielrazor.6041

danielrazor.6041

It’s like complaining about how changing your own light bulb makes you want to remove all lights. May not be a great analogy but that’s the level of dumb this topic is.

Just learn to play around the “problem” like having backup commanders, running within your group instead of 1234567 meters in front of them or even getting a few people to pop the ghost tonic with you

[SALT] The Salty Pickles
Leia Ravenpaw – Dragonhunter
Daniel Ravenpaw – Daredevil

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

To lessen the burden of pin sniping:

1. Stop leaping so far in front of your zerg
2. Don’t always trail in front of your zerg, have tanky people next to you & try to blend in with your buddies
3. Assign a back up commander if things go south
4. Bait their bomb first; their skills will be on CD
5. Rotate your stab accordingly (if Moa’d, fall back) and this is under the assumption you have a rev giving out resistance appropriately
6. For very organised play; assign 1-2 mesmers that can grant AoE distortion upon engaging enemy zergs to avoid possible Moa/pulls etc. Although this skill is extremely short in use, using it appropriately will give you the upper hand
7. Record yourself sometimes. You’d be surprised how many personal mistakes are made such as leading too far away from the rest of your zerg, fighting on bad terrain etc. Learn from your mistakes and improve!

It is extremely easy to know who is driving a zerg simply via the movement of the blob. It always has been. These days it’s made even easier by placing squad markers on enemy drivers.

You can run, but you cannot hide.

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

lol @ this thread. Blobmander died, dont know how to push button 1 now.

Right? I never understood why there is such reliance on a single person… A zerg simply don’t know wtf to do when the commander dies. It’s like everyone forget how to play the game and just bend over and take it.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

Stop pin-sniping

in WvW

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

…..didn’t know this was even a thing….

I assume commanders are prepared for things like that. If a huge group is in that big of a disarray after the commander gets picked off, then they deserve to be picked off as well. I would think a second commander tags up immediately after the first one gets sniped.