Stopping enemy players from messaging you?

in WvW

Posted by: Thor Malen.8291

Thor Malen.8291

Q:

Ok I hardly get a whisper besides my own server but last night I had a whisper from an enemy player.

Now this person had killed me two times while I was defending the supply camp. It was near our wp and I could make it back quickly. The third fight we had I won. At any time before the third fight or after the third fight I didn’t taunt or use an emote or anything to provoke such messages I was getting. Truthfully I was a bit baffled how they could whisper to me. I eventually reported the person for the language and names he was directing to me.

I did research and found out how it was being done but my question is how do I keep enemy players from whispering me if they don’t like the end result? I don’t want to go through all the trouble of blocking people. Can I turn it off? I didn’t get upset or get mad about dying two times before and then when I win the fight they get upset.

in WvW

Posted by: Thor Malen.8291

Thor Malen.8291

I should add that when they whispered me I didn’t not respond to any of them

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Appearing offline is the only thing you can do, although if the player is angry enough, they may send you mail or try to invite you to a party.

It’s not something you can really avoid 100%. Sometimes people get upset and sometimes they get unreasonably upset. Blocking them or appearing offline are your only solutions.

That said, if you’re like me, sometimes it’s best to see if you can calm them down. I know how frustrated I can get and I’ve sent some hatemail in the past so I can relate to people who are raging. I usually try to talk it out with them to see if we can come to an understanding so that they don’t continue walking around with that hate in their head. We all get a little mad sometimes, that doesn’t make it acceptable to be cussing people out but it doesn’t mean you should hold it against them either, yenno?

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

You block them.

Raging is just childish and ignorant.

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Blocking isn’t enough to stop them. Appearing offline and hiding from the world is the only way, but they can still mail you. You can’t stop them. Anet doesn’t want you to stop them. Anet wants people to be able to troll you.

Let that sink in a moment….

Now the healing can begin.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

My advice to you is drink their tears. Let them know you are better than them and take their kickball. Make them cry more and rip their heart out

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Pat yourself on the back for smiting a bad player, then block them by right clicking on their name in whisper.

Honestly though? Take a screen grab of their hissy fit and post it on your server forum for a good laugh.

Most decent players will whisper you to congratulate you on good play. Then you get a new friend.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

(edited by Jayne.9251)

in WvW

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

I wish they would make enemy players messaging me easier. I have made great friends that way! I have had more players message me to tell me it was a good fight than be obnoxious, though I have had people message me all angry at first and then turn it around by the end of the conversatuon to have them transferring servers to come play with us and join our guild instead.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

I’ve engaged in may good conversations with the “enemy”, usually in a duel format, and have even gotten some feedback on my build. The benefits out weigh the negatives, in my opinion.

in WvW

Posted by: stephanie wise.7841

stephanie wise.7841

one whisper me yesterday. he was mad that I killed him with my great sword. and told me he would have sex with my cat.

I told him I do not have a cat. and sex with animal is not my thing.

then he told me he would buy a cat for me and have sex with it.

told him again sex with animal is not my thing if it is your thing just buy one for your self.

then after he said he was sorry it is because I killed him with a greatsword and it is not a necro weapon so I linked my darkharvest great sword. and told him it is a necro weapon.

strange people.

it is a game people get all serious and get mad when they loose . the fact is you cannot always win.

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

When ya get a rage whisper it means you have done something good. Also reply with something completely unrelated like “My hedge is 16inches thick”

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I wish it was easier to whisper tbh

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

When ya get a rage whisper it means you have done something good.

Yeah, ummm… no, not always. Especially if what they did was call for help to run you over with numbers.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: End Time Elijah.6308

End Time Elijah.6308

That’s why I carry a few things of salt with me. Just mail it to them and move on.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

My advice to you is drink their tears. Let them know you are better than them and take their kickball. Make them cry more and rip their heart out

This… so much of this. I am still laughing about it even after reading everything else written on this thread.

in WvW

Posted by: CaptainCaveman.7348

CaptainCaveman.7348

You just reply you got PWND! and L2P!
then /ignore
:D

in WvW

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

I was messaged by any enemy player who lost after enticing people to follow him and fight. I won’t go into his chiding, but at the end of the conversation he actually apologized because he was frustrated with part of the match-up. This was many months ago.

But yeah, blocking is the only thing you can really do. That’s how they actually are able to whisper you in the first place – by blocking you first, then friending you. But once you block them that’s it.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

I was messaged by any enemy player who lost after enticing people to follow him and fight. I won’t go into his chiding, but at the end of the conversation he actually apologized because he was frustrated with part of the match-up. This was many months ago.

But yeah, blocking is the only thing you can really do. That’s how they actually are able to whisper you in the first place – by blocking you first, then friending you. But once you block them that’s it.

Was it a Berserker? There’s a particular salt merchant on NSP who usually whispers assorted complaints and insults when you beat him, especially 1v1.

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

in WvW

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Generally they use words like L2p NOOB cheesebuild and the like in such whispers after you have killed them.

Swallow your pride. Reply that you new to the game it your first time in WvW. Suggest that they talk to one of their friends and try to get advice as to how to kill a person who is a noob, does not know how to play, and uses a cheese build given others do not seem to have a problem killing the same.

in WvW

Posted by: maybe.5086

maybe.5086

I don’t mind getting messages from enemy. Most of the time the contents is not bad, and if they are to rude I report them. My only wish is to know if Anet actually takes some action on those reportsç

in WvW

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

Was it a Berserker? There’s a particular salt merchant on NSP who usually whispers assorted complaints and insults when you beat him, especially 1v1.

Nah, a ranger – before HOT. Can’t remember the server he was from.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

in WvW

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

Set yourself to offline status while in wvw is the global option. Otherwise you would just need to take that first whisper and block them after.

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Laugh it off,Remember who it was,go find him..kill him again,sit or jump for extra rage while you blocked him so he can’t tell you how mad he is now.

in WvW

Posted by: gitflap.9031

gitflap.9031

Had that a few times. Just ignore it. Sometimes it can lead to a nice chat with the enemy. Piken ranger even sent me a mini one time. But if they get whiny and abusive, shrug & move on.

in WvW

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

As I am sure has been said, if it is harassment, report them. You cannot stop them from whispering you (although it was originally stated by Anet they would not be able to do so but… yeah), but you can block them when they do. In the past, I targeted people that did that whenever possible. In fact, entire guild would seek out players even in their zergs that repeatedly behaved that way.

Why? Because it ticked them off and was fun to down a single person in the middle of their zerg and run away.

Any time you have a pvp type environment, you get people that do that. Unfortunately it’s just how it is. Block, report if it is bad, kill them when possible, and ignore otherwise.

(edited by Lunacy Solacio.6514)