Sugg- Disable all enemy communication

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

WvW has grown more and more toxic over time, and I think the devs need to take a stronger stance on communication methods inside wvw… It was a smart idea to remove enemy global chat and such, but I think 2 additional layers of chat prevention would go a long way to help clean up the unnecessary negativity while playing. And those are…

…A system wide feature that prevents all enemy whispers and mails while inside wvw. Only mutual friends list people, not followers, can communicate cross server.

Some of us are mature and we want to pop in, goof off and enjoy the game… not get inundated with childish rage whispers from emotionally unstable teens and adults who need to feel some sort of superiority in a video game… Also, with updates coming to wvw, that will bring in new and returning players, I think it would be a healthy change to prevent all forms of enemy communication so we don’t enable bad behaviors, trolling and stupidity.

And to those who will say… “No, I made friends on the opposing side”… If you really want to connect with someone then you can leave wvw and send a message or mail… “But just block”… sure, that’s valid, but I think it’s about time for the devs to take some additional steps to stop enabling bad behavior at the source.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

Here is a thought. Ignore it and go back to enjoying the game. If someone rage whispers me I love it. It means I did my job well enough that they are now upset because they died or lost a camp, tower, or keep. Nobody said you had to pay attention to it lol.

in WvW

Swagger.1459

Here is a thought. Ignore it and go back to enjoying the game. If someone rage whispers me I love it. It means I did my job well enough that they are now upset because they died or lost a camp, tower, or keep. Nobody said you had to pay attention to it lol.

I’ve already addressed that. It’s not the point.

in WvW

Posted by: Krypto.2069

Krypto.2069

Malerian, like you, I often find that receiving such messages means I really got under the enemy’s skin and I did a pretty good job of it!

But I can definitely see Swagger’s point as well, and Swagger, I appreciate the post.

So, Anet, how about this – you add an OPTION in the Option menu to disable all enemy communication. This way we can choose if/when we get enemy whispers/emails and when we don’t. And we don’t have to go “invisible” and avoid getting friendly whispers.

It’s almost too simple a solution, right? A check box.

Moonlight [THRU]

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

Malerian, like you, I often find that receiving such messages means I really got under the enemy’s skin and I did a pretty good job of it!

But I can definitely see Swagger’s point as well, and Swagger, I appreciate the post.

So, Anet, how about this – you add an OPTION in the Option menu to disable all enemy communication. This way we can choose if/when we get enemy whispers/emails and when we don’t. And we don’t have to go “invisible” and avoid getting friendly whispers.

It’s almost too simple a solution, right?

Sounds good. Never thought of that option. That way it works for everyone!

(edited by Malerian.8435)

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

It is the point.
You can ignore it or block them, problem solved.

What you are proposing is creating a problem for those of us that enjoy talking to our opponents. I have friends on multiple servers, I shouldn’t have to leave the game mode to talk to them if I run into them.

A few weeks ago I had a good fight with an opponent, after I beat him he whispered me to see if I wanted to duel, instead I ended up roaming with him because he happened to be on a server where I had an alt account. Ended up having a really fun day and adding him to my friends list.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Tiawal.2351

Tiawal.2351

Option is fine. Disabling for everyone is not, because sometimes we need to talk with the “enemy” to arrange a GvG, something ad-hoc, and discuss details. Also during GvG to send the “gg” message or something.
Also the “Block” you mention: those who whisper in that manner deserve at least to be blocked and it’s not up to me, but they should be further punished, actions should have proper consequences. Maybe one day. One can hope.

A wandering ronin, employed by [ENMA]

in WvW

Swagger.1459

It is the point.

What you are proposing is creating a problem for those of us that enjoy talking to our opponents. I have friends on multiple servers, I shouldn’t have to leave the game mode to talk to them if I run into them.

A few weeks ago I had a good fight with an opponent, after I beat him he whispered me to see if I wanted to duel, instead I ended up roaming with him because he happened to be on a server where I had an alt account. Ended up having a really fun day and adding him to my friends list.

That wasn’t my point, but ty.

I’m sure the devs could design it so only mutual friends list people can chat. Make a mini “wanna be friends?” pop up and let players decide if they want to open the door to communication.

I can guarantee there are way more toxic whispers compared to your “kumbaya” and “this land is your land” whispers, so the devs really need to consider that while going forward and trying to improve this mode.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Posted by: GrahamW.5397

GrahamW.5397

WvW has grown more and more toxic over time, and I think the devs need to take a stronger stance on communication methods inside wvw… It was a smart idea to remove enemy global chat and such, but I think 2 additional layers of chat prevention would go a long way to help clean up the unnecessary negativity while playing. And those are…

…A system wide feature that prevents all enemy whispers and mails while inside wvw. Only mutual friends list people, not followers, can communicate cross server.

Some of us are mature and we want to pop in, goof off and enjoy the game… not get inundated with childish rage whispers from emotionally unstable teens and adults who need to feel some sort of superiority in a video game… Also, with updates coming to wvw, that will bring in new and returning players, I think it would be a healthy change to prevent all forms of enemy communication so we don’t enable bad behaviors, trolling and stupidity.

And to those who will say… “No, I made friends on the opposing side”… If you really want to connect with someone then you can leave wvw and send a message or mail… “But just block”… sure, that’s valid, but I think it’s about time for the devs to take some additional steps to stop enabling bad behavior at the source.

Why should i have to leave wvw just to message a friend only to immediately go back into wvw, or possibly get stuck in a queue and stuck out of wvw for no reason. If people send you angry whispers just block them, the system is there for exactly this reason.

in WvW

Swagger.1459

Why should i have to leave wvw just to message a friend only to immediately go back into wvw, or possibly get stuck in a queue and stuck out of wvw for no reason. If people send you angry whispers just block them, the system is there for exactly this reason.

“mutual friends list people, not followers, can communicate cross server”

in WvW

Posted by: GrahamW.5397

GrahamW.5397

“mutual friends list people, not followers, can communicate cross server”

Again, why is this needed, the block function exists for a reason.

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

It is the point.

That wasn’t my point, but ty.

I’m sure the devs could design it so only mutual friends list people can chat. Make a mini “wanna be friends?” pop up and let players decide if they want to open the door to communication.

I can guarantee there are way more toxic whispers compared to your “kumbaya” and “this land is your land” whispers, so the devs really need to consider that while going forward and trying to improve this mode.

So now you’re trying to propose a solution to a problem that doesn’t currently exist because you are to lazy to use the ignore function?
Smfh…

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: KrHome.1920

KrHome.1920

Some of us are mature and we want to pop in, goof off and enjoy the game… not get inundated with childish rage whispers from emotionally unstable teens and adults who need to feel some sort of superiority in a video game…

Superiority…. I tell you something about the “need to feel superior”:

I see no difference between

- the players exploiting the imbalance WvW offers to feel superior and

- the players telling them that they are skillless / ganking idiots to feel superior.

Seems fair to me.

ANet is the problem here – not some people who are frustrated by broken game mechanics.

(edited by KrHome.1920)

in WvW

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Not that it matters, most MMO’s do not allow this form of communication. Outside of that, and this isn’t most other games, ignore is the typical remedy. Besides, it isn’t like an easy task to just communicate – it takes some effort.

More often than not in my situation when I communication or receive it has gone well. There are only one or two times whereas the other players was an @sshat and both parties kept the block going.

It really doesn’t matter to me one way or another because there are ways to handle it at the player level and we both know the devs have higher priorities. I see the reasoning behind the OP’s post though.

Edit: I’ll go a step further though because I do feel sPvP is more toxic. Be glad I’m not designing a game because I’d make account names your real identity. That would cure at least 90+% of the bullying going on in our fantasy world…

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)