[Suggestion] Guesting

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Posted by: Kaspar.3892

Kaspar.3892

So, I’ve been emailing support back and forth about this topic and I’ve decided to get try and get some more attention to this.

What is the real point of guesting to another world now!? ALL of PvE and PvP has a megaserver and you can play with your friends everywhere regardless of what server you’re on and you have no need to guest, but that’s the only use that guesting has currently.

But what about WvW? Say you’re in Blackgate and just want to go check out another server that you’re not against currently to see how they’re doing. Or maybe even you’ve got friends on another server that you’re not against and want to WvW with them for the day or for the week.

What are people’s opinions on the matter?

What would be good restrictions on this?

What would need to be in place to prevent this from being exploited (if possible)?

Lets give the guesting feature a new use since it’s useless in its current state.

Edit: for emphasis

If your concern is spying and breaking stuff, well, in pvp I could join a game and pretend to be useful and look like I’m doing stuff, but in reality suck it up and hand the game to the other team. I can also do this in PvE, join a Teq or Tri Wurm and just leech the run without contributing anything except maybe enough damage to barely get credit.

(edited by Kaspar.3892)

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Hmm I’m going to vote no, to many issues that could/would be abused or exploited, if guesting moved to WVW.

The current “guesting” system does still have the function of letting people join their friends mega server, and is used pretty frequently for world boss events. So the over all use has changed some, but it’s not useless, and still servers a valid purpose.

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Kaspar.3892

The current “guesting” system does still have the function of letting people join their friends mega server, and is used pretty frequently for world boss events. So the over all use has changed some, but it’s not useless, and still servers a valid purpose.

Ever heard of “Join In…” on someone in your party?

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Posted by: SenorMoody.5908

SenorMoody.5908

hmmm… if guesting would allow WvW on another server that your home server isn’t currently matched against…. then why not? … what harm would that do?

Wish it, Want it, Do it!

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Miku.6297

Hahah oh crap ~ sorry I’m only about 50% awake I honestly thought you were talking about the join thing…

You mean the guesting from world select… Which I have a feeling is used maybe 5% of the time anyone logs in xD. Umm yea, over all useless; but looking for a use isn’t really a good reason to change it into something that would cause a ton of problems.

hmmm… if guesting would allow WvW on another server that your home server isn’t currently matched against…. then why not? … what harm would that do?

Hey t1 server, we are a t2 server, if you guest and report for us every so often we will do the same for you…

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Kaspar.3892

Hahah oh crap ~ sorry I’m only about 50% awake I honestly thought you were talking about the join thing…

You mean the guesting from world select… Which I have a feeling is used maybe 5% of the time anyone logs in xD. Umm yea, over all useless; but looking for a use isn’t really a good reason to change it into something that would cause a ton of problems.

Hey t1 server, we are a t2 server, if you guest and report for us every so often we will do the same for you…

It’d help them get up to your level and maybe even end up creating yourself more competition.

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

It’s called…pay 20 bucks to move like I had to. They really love to milk them forced server changes if you want to play in WvW that isn’t dead. Be thankful OP that you are actually on a good WvW server and not on a dead one like my original server I been on for three years; it was once in top 3 until everyone left to join the opposing teams BG/JQ after a few losses and now its at the bottom with barely anyone playing.

(edited by fixit.7189)

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Posted by: NeoSpud.7523

NeoSpud.7523

Opens up a lot of opportunity for wild swings in the balance of WvW.. They don’t even let you create characters on multiple worlds. It’s baked in to the core of the game.

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Miku.6297

So letting people exploit team changes for information gathering, and artificially bloat servers wvw pops at times /peak times would be a good thing?

Some servers all ready have a wait line to get into wvw, how would you handle people who are current server residence not being able to play because of guests?

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Kaspar.3892

So letting people exploit team changes for information gathering, and artificially bloat servers wvw pops at times /peak times would be a good thing?

Some servers all ready have a wait line to get into wvw, how would you handle people who are current server residence not being able to play because of guests?

Possibly have a “Guest Limit” to the server so only X amount of people can guest at any one time. Where the less people there are on the server, the higher X can be.

It’s called…pay 20 bucks to move like I had to. They really love to milk them forced server changes if you want to play in WvW that isn’t dead. Be thankful OP that you are actually on a good WvW server and not on a dead one like my original server I been on for three years; it was once in top 3 until everyone left to join the opposing teams BG/JQ after a few losses and now its at the bottom with barely anyone playing.

I’ve been on Blackgate since maybe week 2 of gw2 launch when they allowed everyone 1 free world transfer.

Opens up a lot of opportunity for wild swings in the balance of WvW.. They don’t even let you create characters on multiple worlds. It’s baked in to the core of the game.

Yeah, maybe Yaks Bend could end up T1 via guests.

(edited by Kaspar.3892)

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Guesting does server the purpose of letting you (possibly) change the IP-map you are in. Sometimes, that is desirable.

As for WvW, I don’t think it would be a good idea. For the same reasons free transfers were eliminated.

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Kaspar.3892

Guesting does server the purpose of letting you (possibly) change the IP-map you are in. Sometimes, that is desirable.

As for WvW, I don’t think it would be a good idea. For the same reasons free transfers were eliminated.

So you’re opposed to playing with your friends in wvw that are on other servers?

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I am opposed to allowing guesting in WvW.

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Kaspar.3892

I am opposed to allowing guesting in WvW.

Care to explain why?

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Inculpatus cedo.9234

For all the reasons posted in the countless threads back when free transfers were in effect, and WvW was unbalanced even more.

I’m sure you can peruse said threads back from the early months after release to get a better understanding of the drawbacks.

Good luck. =)

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Kaspar.3892

For all the reasons posted in the countless threads back when free transfers were in effect, and WvW was unbalanced even more.

I’m sure you can peruse said threads back from the early months after release to get a better understanding of the drawbacks.

Good luck. =)

So no arguments of your own? Seems like you’re a bit lack luster.

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I would love to guest to BG, so I can spy on their movements for TC.

You wanted an honest answer, right?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Kaspar.3892

But you’re currently against us, so that wouldn’t work with my suggestion.

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Smooth Penguin.5294

Then I’ll use one of my Alts on Maguuma to guest to BG, to spy on their movements for TC.

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Lackluster…apathetic..whatever.

Let me know when it gets implemented. And, of course, best of luck! =)

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Posted by: shakome.7458

shakome.7458

If you truly wanted to play wvw with your friend, try eotm. You can be allies if you’re the same color, or fight each other if you’re different colors. Alot of people said eotm is not real wvw, but it’s an option if you want to play with your friend but not in pvp or pve. Guesting to different world for wvw is a bad idea, considering what would stop t1 server to recruit t2 server for match making. It’s a headache i doubted anet wanted to take.

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Kaspar.3892

If you truly wanted to play wvw with your friend, try eotm. You can be allies if you’re the same color, or fight each other if you’re different colors. Alot of people said eotm is not real wvw, but it’s an option if you want to play with your friend but not in pvp or pve. Guesting to different world for wvw is a bad idea, considering what would stop t1 server to recruit t2 server for match making. It’s a headache i doubted anet wanted to take.

That’s the problem. We’re not always the same color, in fact rarely are. Otherwise I would just eotm with them.

Like I said earlier above:
“Possibly have a “Guest Limit” to the server so only X amount of people can guest at any one time. Where the less people there are on the server, the higher X can be.”

Then I’ll use one of my Alts on Maguuma to guest to BG, to spy on their movements for TC.

You’re making this more complicated than it should be. I could easily just wait til a spot opens up on another server and buy my way in and spy on them if I wanted to do that. Or even just delete all my chars and swap over for free.

(edited by Kaspar.3892)

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Smooth Penguin.5294

I’m all for it as long as the following applies:

1) Guesting bypasses the “full” status
2) I’m allowed to multi box so I can have my alt guest to BG, then I can tag watch for my main on TC.

I’ve been trying to get one my alts on BG for the longest time, but the server is never off of “Full”. Ever.

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Posted by: Vostroyan.9214

Vostroyan.9214

I’ll say there is no way this can work out in many ways this can be exploitable in so many ways.

When inventing games these days all ideas have to revolve around how can this be exploitable and if it can be exploitable what can you do to prevent it.

This in all means can’t be fixed.

You can get from trolls, to guilds of low servers being paid to fill up one borderland and stay still not doing a thing. Have people spying on all borderlands 24/7.

All this will make support work 3 times as much so they ban all the people from helping out the other servers from cheating.

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Kaspar.3892

I’ll say there is no way this can work out in many ways this can be exploitable in so many ways.

When inventing games these days all ideas have to revolve around how can this be exploitable and if it can be exploitable what can you do to prevent it.

You can get from trolls, to guilds of low servers being paid to fill up one borderland and stay still not doing a thing. Have people spaying on all borderlands 24/7.

All this will make support work 3 times as much so they ban all the people from helping out the other servers from cheating.

So think of some way to make it work.

The main thing I’m trying to fix is the 100% useless “Guesting” option on worlds. So I thought maybe we could try something that lets us play with out friends on other worlds in a wvw setting since we already have pvp and pve w/ mega servers.

If your concern is spying and breaking stuff, well, in pvp I could join a game and pretend to be useful and look like I’m doing stuff, but in reality suck it up and hand the game to the other team. I can also do this in PvE, join a Teq or Tri Wurm and just leech the run without contributing anything except maybe enough damage to barely get credit.

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Smooth Penguin.5294

You can get from trolls, to guilds of low servers being paid to fill up one borderland and stay still not doing a thing. Have people spaying on all borderlands 24/7.

The main thing I’m trying to fix is the 100% useless “Guesting” option on worlds. So I thought maybe we could try something that lets us play with out friends on other worlds in a wvw setting since we already have pvp and pve w/ mega servers.

I think you just answered your own question for your critics with some of your examples. If you’re trying to say that since you can manipulate matches in SPvP, you should be able to do that in WvW, the Devs will never consider your suggestion.

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Kaspar.3892

I think you just answered your own question for your critics with some of your examples. If you’re trying to say that since you can manipulate matches in SPvP, you should be able to do that in WvW, the Devs will never consider your suggestion.

Dude, I can show you where all my friends are at and if I wanted to undermine something or manipulate anything I’d have no issue w/ doing so, BUT I DONT. Unlike some people who want to spy and ruin everything. Why!? Because i actually care about playing w/ my friends and not just exploiting everything to my smallest whim.

Thank you for proving that you’re here just to undermine me.

(edited by Kaspar.3892)

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Smooth Penguin.5294

Dude, I can show you where all my friends are at and if I wanted to undermine something or manipulate anything I’d have no issue w/ doing so, BUT I DONT. Unlike some people who want to spy and ruin everything. Why!? Because i actually care about playing w/ my friends and not just exploiting everything to my smallest whim.

The key argument here isn’t about what YOU want to guest for, but for what OTHER people would do to abuse such a mechanic. I’m sorry I had to prove you wrong. So unfortunately, it doesn’t matter what you think. As long as the option opens the door for others to do things Anet didn’t intend on allowing, then it won’t be allowed.

If you’re so adamant about playing with your friends, do what we all do. Pay the Gems for the transfer, or delete all characters and transfer for free.

Edit – To make it easier for you to understand, allow me to use a real world example. A bank has their vault door open because you want to be able to get to your savings quicker with your friends. Doing this makes the cash easily accessed by any customer walking by. You and your friends see it, and aren’t tempted to take any cash that’s just sitting on a table. But someone else walks by, and fills their bag with the cash. That one person did something the bank didn’t intend on allowing, and thus ruined the idea for everyone else.

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Kaspar.3892

The key argument here isn’t about what YOU want to guest for, but for what OTHER people would do to abuse such a mechanic. I’m sorry I had to prove you wrong. So unfortunately, it doesn’t matter what you think. As long as the option opens the door for others to do things Anet didn’t intend on allowing, then it won’t be allowed.

If you’re so adamant about playing with your friends, do what we all do. Pay the Gems for the transfer, or delete all characters and transfer for free.

So help me create something that will prevent it from being exploited instead of just trying to counter the idea.

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Smooth Penguin.5294

So help me create something that will prevent it from being exploited instead of just trying to counter the idea.

Sure. Pay 1800 Gems and transfer servers. The mechanic exists already, and Anet allows you to transfer once per 7 days. I’ve done it twice already. From BP to Mag. From Mag to TC.

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

guesting can be used to be more likely to end up on a different copy of a map, especially if you aren’t repping a guild when you do it. It can be used to find an open dungeon, or just get to a different map to see different people, or when say a map is bugged like the waves of people dying randomly, etc.

Allowing anyone to influence another server at a whim with ‘wvw guesting’, would be detrimental in a myriad of ways.

(edited by Lunacy Solacio.6514)

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Kaspar.3892

guesting can be used to be more likely to end up on a different copy of a map, especially if you aren’t repping a guild when you do it. It can be used to find an open dungeon, or just get to a different map to see different people, or when say a map is bugged like the waves of people dying randomly, etc.

Allowing anyone to influence another server at a whim with ‘wvw guesting’, would be detrimental in a myriad of ways.

Ah, but applying influence somewhere else would make it so your influence isn’t on your current world, which means that you may be helping another world out, but your world will suffer as a cost, since you’re not there to defend it. Think of it as a Mercenary group. People could form groups that go and help out the worlds that pay them the most or they could go help a world that looks like they need the help the most. Their home may suffer as a result or it may not because queues are full.

So as an example, how can it be detrimental for someone in BG, TC, or JQ to go and help out Keineng or Yaks Bend?

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Miku.6297

So as an example, how can it be detrimental for someone in BG, TC, or JQ to go and help out Keineng or Yaks Bend?

If you want to be helpful to a different server… Transfer.

You wouldn’t be directly detrimental to your server for helping another in wvw, but you WOULD be detrimental to the ones that they are against. You are not from that server, the match is between the server you opted to “help” and the other two, not yours.

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Smooth Penguin.5294

Let me quote myself since you’re still having a hard time understanding the situation. Plus, I edited my post, so you may not have seen this.

Edit – To make it easier for you to understand, allow me to use a real world example. A bank has their vault door open because you want to be able to get to your savings quicker with your friends. Doing this makes the cash easily accessed by any customer walking by. You and your friends see it, and aren’t tempted to take any cash that’s just sitting on a table. But someone else walks by, and fills their bag with the cash. That one person did something the bank didn’t intend on allowing, and thus ruined the idea for everyone else.

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

This would be the WvW equivalent of a clown car convention.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

Big no to that, onlyting it will do is make it even easyer to spy on op server.

[Suggestion] Guesting

in WvW

Posted by: Teevell.1684

Teevell.1684

If you want to be helpful to a different server… Transfer.

You wouldn’t be directly detrimental to your server for helping another in wvw, but you WOULD be detrimental to the ones that they are against. You are not from that server, the match is between the server you opted to “help” and the other two, not yours.

Basically this right here. If you want to play with your friends, then you should all work together to get the gems for the transfer. They shouldn’t allow guesting on WvW because it is WORLD vs. WORLD. If you’re not from that world, you shouldn’t be playing for them.

Though with EoTM and the megaservers, it seems that WvW is slowly dying anyway, so you’ll probably get what you want eventually. I wouldn’t be surprised if they convert WvW into an open-pvp zone more like EoTM, where you can just “join” your party of friends on their team.

Tarnished Coast