[Suggestion] Responsive rankings

in WvW

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Please make the ranking system more responsive to massive changes in the servers. After this week Dragonbrand is going to be 5th in the rankings because Sanctum of Rall has tanked and the system can’t account for it.

As a Dragonbrand resident I can tell you that the server is woefully unprepared for this shift. However, we probably we be in the Gold league anyway (Congratulations to FA for successfully being the top in silver again).

I don’t know what the proper ranking system is, but I think the current only expects a degree on consistency and slow change that frankly doesn’t exist.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in WvW

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

Because you know full well that Dragonbrand isn’t going to stomp every single matchup in Silver by 200k points? The entire server can farm the jumping puzzles in the day and your off-hours will still win every week, more than comfortably. DB players should know this more than anyone. Does that sound like your idea of fun?

in WvW

Posted by: neomagic.9056

neomagic.9056

They will challenge Henge Of Denravi. Because I believe HoD has the numbers to face off DB now.

The bandwagon server hype is for real. Watch up Dragonbrand!

in WvW

TooBz.3065

No. This isn’t about stomping or being stomped, because I can always play EotM for a more fair matchup.

This is the second time I’ve been on a server that has been victimized by the rankings inability to respond to changes in rank. Last season I was on CD, which has lost a lot of guilds and was mid-plummet when the season started. I’m sure SOR feels the same way right now.

Now, to your issues. There is a serious balance problem (really really serious) in WvW in NA. I understand that this isn’t as much of a problem in Europe. I have barely been in WvW for the last two week cause it’s not fun. Both being stomped and stomping is not fun. (Although, I admit, stomping is better ;-))

This is about trying to make sure that the match ups are fair. DB has been stomping people like crazy, but it’s because SOR is absent. and we’ve fought them for three weeks and therefore received ridiculously inflated scores.

If, on the other hand, SOR fell like the stone it should, then our score would be more appropriate. I don’t mind getting pushed into gold because we are the 6th seed. I object to being placed as the 5th seed because the system can’t figure out that a previously top 3 server is now in the mid teens.

in WvW

Posted by: Adahilia.3678

Adahilia.3678

Clearly there is a large portion of your server that feels it can or wants to do gold, otherwise they’d not still be pushing as hard as they have been. The best you can hope is those that came to you for an easy silver win don’t abandon ship over the weekend and next week.
Enjoy gold DB

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

Unless HoD has gained a massive OCX/SEA force, they are kidding themselves about beating DB. I personally doubt HoD can take SBI and IoJ.

DB would be better than FA. Getting beat in off hours is frustrating, but FA will wreck any NA in a head to head.
FA’s NA is T1 in quality and quantity so you’ll be all hugging EotM if they come down.

in WvW

Posted by: XacTactX.6709

XacTactX.6709

So many bullkittenters in this thread, the OP is talking about the Glicko system and how long it takes to adjust to changes in server population. You guys need to take your DB hate somewhere else.

Anet likely didn’t want to remove the armor stats entirely because…well,
we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

in WvW

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

I believe this whole server competition is the definition of a clusterkitten. All these guilds and servers chasing Anet’s prizes. Making the server rankings tied to rewards is a complete disaster. Servers should have simply been ranked and awarded gold, silver, and bronze titles only. The rewards should be player based, instead we get all sorts of guild transfers, pre-tournament server rank tanking, and 70% of the players/servers without any real chance at anything interesting, not that I found the “mini-dolyak” interesting from last season….. Spoon

in WvW

Posted by: Adahilia.3678

Adahilia.3678

So many bullkittenters in this thread, the OP is talking about the Glicko system and how long it takes to adjust to changes in server population. You guys need to take your DB hate somewhere else.

According to your win:loss since the beginning of the year, you guys are exactly where you should be in relation to the servers below you. SoR is probably one of the few exceptions in the fact that it had a very high rating and should be much lower than it is, but is taking forever for them to drop to where they should be. However, it is the price you pay for having a heavily stacked off hours where you can ktrain to your hearts content and tick for 400-500+ for extended periods every day. Looking at just this week, there were very few times you ticked below 300(http://mos.millenium.org/servers/view/35/), does that mean DB should go gold not necessarily, but in relation to what is below you it does. The other servers can not compete with your population, in fact you guys pushed/stacked so hard it seems you pushed FA out of gold to be a strong contender for winning silver again this season. The only way to not hit gold would be to lose the 2 spots you gained this week in the last match before the set spots next week. And quite frankly don’t see FA working overtime to get back into gold when they can try to secure a silver win. Either way silver gets the shaft with one server that is going to dominate. Bronze more than likely will be the same.

(edited by Adahilia.3678)

in WvW

TooBz.3065

The population of DB is an issue, and I’m sorry for using it as an example of the problem, but XacTacX is exactly right. This post is just about the Glicko system (didn’t know it’s name before, thanks!) and the fact that it seems to expect a relatively stable enviornment where changes happen gradually.

Looking at wikipedia, Glicko was intended to rate the skill of different chess champions, generally the skill of a chess master doesn’t wildly fluctuate over time. Here is does.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I think more people would be open to your pleas for “we aren’t ready” if we had heard the same posts from you when DB was mopping up T4 and T3 for weeks. I am not saying it is fair in the grand scheme of things, but it is DBs turn to “feel the love” of more populated servers.

Time to step up, lift your chin… and take that beating like a man.

Note: DB has won 13 of the last 15 weeks most of which by 100k plus. Suddenly 9 weeks of tough fights looks sort of fair.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

(edited by Straegen.2938)

in WvW

TooBz.3065

Most of you have to be trolling or you don’t read at all. Thank goodness I wasn’t trying to communicate with you. Way to miss the point.

in WvW

Straegen.2938

Most of you have to be trolling or you don’t read at all. Thank goodness I wasn’t trying to communicate with you. Way to miss the point.

I think the general reaction to the post is pretty fair. A player from DB pointing out how unfair the rankings are just before they possibly get stuck in an unfair match up after dominating in similar fashion for months does have the appearance of being disingenuous even if it is not.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

TooBz.3065

Maybe. But if I were saying “Oh please save me from getting stomped. I can’t play when outnumbered. QQQ I quit WAHHHHHHHH.” Then it would be a reasonable response.

But I didn’t asked to be saved. I just identified a problem, presented an example of the problem in action, and asked that they consider a solution.

Even if they started working on it tomorrow, it wouldn’t change the season.

in WvW

Straegen.2938

But I didn’t asked to be saved. I just identified a problem, presented an example of the problem in action, and asked that they consider a solution.

The problem still persists even if SoR hadn’t blown up. DB is too populated for T3 and not populated enough for T2. Players have been complaining about this problem since release.

That said, the general response received was because this thread wasn’t created when DB was dominating but about to be dominated. This message would have gotten a better response had it come when DB was dominating with little end of their reign in sight.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

DB hasn’t embarrassed themselves on reset night. Their skill level is far behind their opponents, but they are making up with it with numbers and tenacity that wasn’t expected. We’ll see how they hold up.

in WvW

TooBz.3065

Ok, so as of now it looks like DB is competitive where they are. However, SOR is still getting it’s kitten handed to it in tier 4, so NOW can we talk about the issue?

Glicko expects the performance of a server to be relatively stable. This is clearly not the case in this game. As a result, SOR has had four weeks of terrible match ups.

in WvW

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

he has a point, im on borlis pass and facing santum of rall, they don’t even belong in t4, they look like a bottom t5, or even t6 server.
So, I think it would be good for them if they could go down and get competitive matchups more quickly, rather than get stomped for weeks on end, which will probably drive there population down even more.

If a server gets completely stomped, or completely dominates it should count for way more +/- points, so that they move up or down faster.

(edited by daydream.2938)