Suggestion: no more upgrading Stonemist

in WvW

Posted by: bigFM.8642

bigFM.8642

Remember when EB used to be fun and full of open field fights, with SM flipping practically every 5 minutes?

That stopped when the kitten auto-upgrades were introduced. Back in the day SM was almost never T3. It took a lot of commitment to get it there and thus it was something special. These days the situation is totally different: SM is now T3 basically every day. The night-active server will just cap it and in the morning it is automatically upgraded.
And in my opinion this is the root of all problems with EB!

Instead of fighting, people just hide inside the castle walls and build arrow carts, jump onto cannons and use all other kind of crap, even airships. I mean, really?

One zerg just can’t get in, bangs their head on the walls, gets wiped by siege over and over, while the other zerg just doesn’t wanna come out for a fight. And what happens in the end is the attackers can’t be bothered anymore and log or tag off, or switch to another map.

Thus EB is dead most of the time.

On multiple occasions I watched commanders tag off because people did not follow their tag but instead stayed inside SM on their precious siege to defend this stupid thing.

I have been on either side almost every single day for the last months. And it doesn’t matter if you own it or not… it is annoying and it just kills off all the fun.

My suggestion would be to just take away the ability to upgrade SM altogether. That would finally make EB a bit more attractive and fight-intensitive again, cause this map right now is just a shadow of itself in my opinion. If this keeps going on, it is just another nail in the coffin of the game mode.

in WvW

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

SMC doesn’t auto upgrade, you have to run yaks to it. Deny them camps and yaks and it can’t upgrade.

in WvW

bigFM.8642

Yeah, good luck with that when you have no one online to do that or are heavily outnumbered at certain times.

in WvW

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

If no one is online and you are heavily outnumbered, you weren’t going to take SMC anyway.

in WvW

bigFM.8642

Still that’s not what my original post is about at all. I don’t care how it happens, fact is that SM is T3 all the time and that is essentially a bad thing.

in WvW

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

I actually like having sm upgraded every now and then, because when servers actively defend it you get the real epic fights. Otherwise ebg is just a 24/7 ktrain.

Also it doesn’t happen “all the time”

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

in WvW

bigFM.8642

I actually like having sm upgraded every now and then, because when servers actively defend it you get the real epic fights. Otherwise ebg is just a 24/7 ktrain.

Also it doesn’t happen “all the time”

I am surprised you see it that way. Maybe that has something to do with server mentality? On my server we want fights. Most of the people i know play WvW cause of fights. If we have the choice of capping a tower or going to the nearby orange crosses, we don’t even have to think about it.

And that’s how EB used to be, it was nonstop fighting, at least during prime time.

Now it is hiding behind siege. And it does happen all the time! It does. Gandara in our current matchup completely dominates and has had T3 sm every day. And not too long ago, when we faced Desolation week after week, it was them who had it… all… the… time.

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Castles are suppose to be impenetrable as history tells us.

I say make the towers, keeps, and castle even harder to take as an objective based on factual history.

in WvW

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

@bigFM My server very much loves fighting. I agree it really sucks when stonemist has like 200 ac’s on every gate, but if both servers pressure it you’ll get in eventually and by god there is nothing better than 2-3 hour long smc lordroom fights.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

in WvW

Posted by: nsleep.7839

nsleep.7839

@bigFM My server very much loves fighting. I agree it really sucks when stonemist has like 200 ac’s on every gate, but if both servers pressure it you’ll get in eventually and by god there is nothing better than 2-3 hour long smc lordroom fights.

Amen bro. These sieges are the best and not just some hit the doors and kill lord before they come.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I don’t care how it happens, fact is that SM is T3 all the time and that is essentially a bad thing.

No, fact is that T3 keeps, towers and SM has been too overtuned ever since autoupgrades and fortified hit. Which in turn is aggravated by the fact that defensive siege like ACs has been overtuned for years. All it does is discourage physical PvP, ie fighting.

Its narrowminded to only see SM as an issue in this kittenpile.

in WvW

Posted by: soulsugger.5726

soulsugger.5726

Remember when EB used to be fun and full of open field fights, with SM flipping practically every 5 minutes?

U better can go EotM if u want to flip every 3 minutes an objective.

This sounds more like u missing out on champion bags and karma then actually trying to improve ur server. Oh and some reward track ofcourse.

Guild – Almost Harmless
Server – Far Shiverpeaks

in WvW

bigFM.8642

True. Those fights happen from time to time. But is it really necessary to endure the endless siege wars that come beforehand? I’ve had epic three way fights in an SM that wasn’t upgraded.

in WvW

bigFM.8642

U better can go EotM if u want to flip every 3 minutes an objective.

This sounds more like u missing out on champion bags and karma then actually trying to improve ur server. Oh and some reward track ofcourse.

Yeah you got me. That’s the only reason i made this long-kitten post. Cause i am missing out on SM lord champions bag. It would be nice if you’d not stop reading after my first sentence. They could tear SM down and make it an empty flat space for all i care.

in WvW

bigFM.8642

I don’t care how it happens, fact is that SM is T3 all the time and that is essentially a bad thing.

No, fact is that T3 keeps, towers and SM has been too overtuned ever since autoupgrades and fortified hit. Which in turn is aggravated by the fact that defensive siege like ACs has been overtuned for years. All it does is discourage physical PvP, ie fighting.

I agree with you, however i can’t imagine them ever taking out defensive siege from the game or tone it down in any meaningful way. I mean where do you even start, where do you stop?

However i still think, you should look at SM and the other keeps differently. The borderlands are a totally different story. It is something that basically “belongs” to the home server and thus it shouldn’t be as easy to flip. There must be some means and incentive to defend your home. Otherwise the borderlands would indeed just become an endless karma train.

On EB on the other hand, everything evolves around Stonemist. It is the only neutral objective in an otherwise evenly distributed map. The effect a sieged up SM has on all the action is just too big. You need the third server to double team to even have a chance against an organized defense. Otherwise you just get wrecked by siege over and over and no one can tell me that there is any fun in a all-evening futile siege of SM. And sometimes it gets even worse, i’ve seen servers use it as a base for basically spawncamping the other servers. Just gather all the blob in front of their keep exit and don’t let them even get out of it. But once they get some resistance, you can be sure they’ll pull back into cannon range and if necessary go back in.

I’m sorry but that’s just not what i wanna face in WvW over and over again…

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

SMC always will be T3 if there is one server that completely dominate a timezone. Even in the old upgrade method, it was true.

Besides, EBG is already the most active map anyway. They should look in making the borderlands more attractive for that matter since EBG can be queued by most servers while the other maps remain empty.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

SMC always will be T3 if there is one server that completely dominate a timezone. Even in the old upgrade method, it was true.

Have to agree here. This isn’t an auto-upgrade issue, this is a coverage issue and or/zergs stealing supplies from supply count in the past. The core differences in the current and old system was supply could be drained blocking advancement and or/someone whiling to pay the coin and kick off the upgrade. Now upgrade supply and advancement are not linked, but can be halted by stopping yaks and no one has to pay the coin to upgrade.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

in WvW

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

As far as the borderland concept, would prefer to see that idea removed and move more towards all maps being 3-sided without advantage to anyone one side.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.