Surviving WvWvW (Gear and Traits)

in WvW

Posted by: Talmor.9048

Talmor.9048

This may seem obvious for you veterans out there, but I figured I would give some advise.

Rule #1: Leave your Magic Find (MF) for dungeons and farming. You lose out on one or more stat pumps by doing this.

Rule #2: Leave the glass cannon builds at home. Stacking nothing but power, crit, and condition damage gets you killed quickly.

Rule #3: Pick armor that will give you toughness or vitality. Or Both. Yes, you may say, but I am not a tank. Realize a balanced build lets you survive better. Most feel that vitality is greater than toughness, but a bit of toughness goes a long way.

Rule #4: Grab at least one good stun break. Two is better. You will be stunned. Thieves love it.

Rule #5: Stability can be a great ability for running through zergs. Helps for that run into the tower.

Once you have mastered these pvp rules, start figuring out how to maximize your damage with what you have. You will be doing less damage, but you will not be dieing nearly as much. In the long run, you will be helping.

Additional things that will help your commander:
- Always have supply.
- Build when they say build.
- Do not attack doors (or send your pets to do so).
- Do not take supply from a taken tower or keep. Only exception is when it is maxed out.
- Only upgrade if you know what you are doing. There is a certain order.
- Read the /map channel and react accordingly.

Figured I would help.

- Farstrike
Dragon Brand

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Rule #2: Leave the glass cannon builds at home. Stacking nothing but power, crit, and condition damage gets you killed quickly.

Rule #3: Pick armor that will give you toughness or vitality. Or Both. Yes, you may say, but I am not a tank. Realize a balanced build lets you survive better. Most feel that vitality is greater than toughness, but a bit of toughness goes a long way.

I think glass cannons still work if you mainly attack at range eg. staff ele. Although I’m thinking of trying a more toughness oriented load out for my ele (knights gear).

Re toughness/vitality, on my other toons I prefer toughness. Give me enough vitality to survive conditions (17-18k health) and stack toughness otherwise.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

Rule 2 is the general rule, which means you can bend this if you don’t die much, and if you have at least 2 sets of amors; so you can change gears when needed.

Not attacking doors is the general rule for the following reasons:

1. if there are a few of you; so you want to stealthily get a keep/tower/castle/gar

2. so as not to alert enemies even if there are many of you; so it will be faster to take the k/t/c/g

Exceptions

1-4 people attacking the door will not create amber swords. The solution we made was, while the sieges are up, 2 ppl attacks the door, 2 ppl is on guard to kill npc

when we are spotted, it’s time to face rub the door; since it does help in breaking it especially if we are many.

While these rules are basic, do not be confined to them. Experiment, the more mistakes you make, the more you know what not to repeat next time, and improve on.

Ty thread starter for posting this thread. This is something we should apply.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in WvW

Posted by: Dustwatch.6723

Dustwatch.6723

Thanks so much. Very helpful to know. And you DONT wanna be the one asking in-game, lol.

Warrior Sailem Bellamy | WvW Noobette | President of Shinies Anonymous
Yaks Bend.
Long Live Prof Yackington!

in WvW

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

Rule #4: Grab at least one good stun break. Two is better. You will be stunned. Thieves love it.

I liked this one

Frenk – EU
All is vain

in WvW

Posted by: Dutchares.6084

Dutchares.6084

sssttt… dont tell secrets.

Our guild group loves the canon builds .. how they run away when we charge in. Spread out so we can kill them easier. Or when they use portal al got stunned and got wiped on the spot in seconds.

definitely dont do guild groups, doing stuff organised! Stick with the stuff you are doing now.

in WvW

Posted by: Bunzy.8674

Bunzy.8674

Thanks so much. Very helpful to know. And you DONT wanna be the one asking in-game, lol.

Why don’t you wanna ask in game?

Bunzy – I’m a mother father gentleman
Maguuma
WvW Roaming Videos

in WvW

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

You don’t wanna know…

in WvW

Posted by: Ruin.3461

Ruin.3461

You can get along fine with a glass cannon build

Tier 1 Casual

in WvW

Posted by: maloki.3527

maloki.3527

He forgot the read /team chat..

Maloki – Asura Necro/Sylvari Ele –
@Farshiverpeaks
You’re dumb. You’ll die, and you’ll leave a dumb corpse

in WvW

Talmor.9048

I think people are afraid of being made fun of for asking questions. Do not be afraid to ask questions. Not sure about the higher tiered servers, but on the mid servers, many people would love it if people asked questions. But if you do, ask it quickly and take it to /whisper if it will be a long question.

Yes you can, but you need to hit VERY hard and VERY quick. I find that unless you have perfected that art AND have a class that allows for that quick hitting, then you are going to have some issues without some defensive stats thrown in.

He forgot the read /team chat..

Yes, most definitely, do not forget the /team chat. Read just as much as the /map chat.

- Farstrike
Dragon Brand

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Another tip you need a speed buff, whether you can spec for it (speedy kits on engineer) or use runes (air/centaur runes).

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: My Dead Characters.9517

My Dead Characters.9517

this is a great post, will help those starting in wvw know how to survive early on while they get used to wvw, i see a lot of wvwers come and go because they go glass cannon or magic find gear, also one thing i would add is when fighting a theif and the theif stealths, hits randomly while spinning in a circle, usually i hit the theif out of stealth doing this.

Commander Legends of Woe
fissure of woe
Leader of legends of traumatic stuff[LoTs]

in WvW

Posted by: Orikx.9671

Orikx.9671

Many bunches of downed opponents have gotten rallies off people who thought that. Don’t be the guy that rallies 5+ downed guys.

Orikx
Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: zombieCHAS.7193

zombieCHAS.7193

Could someone explain a little more into how acquiring the different armor sets work? At lvl 80. From my understanding
You can buy exotic (the “best”?) sets with gold.
Use dungeon coins from explorer mode to get dungeon sets.
Use the Laurel to buy only certain kinds of armor, like trinkets?
You can also tailor a full set as well, lets say you are at max cap lvl for a tailorer.

And also, there are three tiers of dungeon armor, tier 3 being the “best”?

zombieCHAS – Asura Mesmer
SoR – Sinister Swarm (SIN)
www.sinisterswarm.com

in WvW

Talmor.9048

Could someone explain a little more into how acquiring the different armor sets work? At lvl 80. From my understanding
You can buy exotic (the “best”?) sets with gold.
Use dungeon coins from explorer mode to get dungeon sets.
Use the Laurel to buy only certain kinds of armor, like trinkets?
You can also tailor a full set as well, lets say you are at max cap lvl for a tailorer.

And also, there are three tiers of dungeon armor, tier 3 being the “best”?

Great question. So let’s look at the “Tier Armors.” This also works for Weapons by the way. We will assume that they are of the same level. Worst to Best

White Armor
Blue Armor
Green Armor
Yellow Armor (This is the minimum armor you should wear in PvP)
Gold Armor (Exotics)
Purple Armor (Fractals/Laurels)

You can make any of the armor up to Gold level. You can also purchase any of these on the Trading Post. Alternatively, you can find other special Gold armors from certain karma vendors (e.g. Balthazar) and Dungeons. They are of similar quality that you can make, just different mix of stats. The armor level is the same.

Purple Armor and higher will be more elite. These cannot be created using normal means. They are earned through Laurels and Fractals.

Help?

- Farstrike
Dragon Brand

(edited by Talmor.9048)

in WvW

Dustwatch.6723

You don’t wanna know…

Hehe, its getting used to gw again. After did everything in gw1, went to try out wow for a while and you kinda get used to being yelled at, especially if you dont know what your doing ; /

Yaks Bend.

in WvW

Dustwatch.6723

this is a great post, will help those starting in wvw know how to survive early on while they get used to wvw, i see a lot of wvwers come and go because they go glass cannon or magic find gear, also one thing i would add is when fighting a theif and the theif stealths, hits randomly while spinning in a circle, usually i hit the theif out of stealth doing this.

Ive actually done this, i put on invulnerability and hit wildly. It worked everytime. Even when they didnt loose stealth, they certainly buggered off.

Yaks Bend.

(edited by Dustwatch.6723)